Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Tuesday, August 30. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Dual Boot win7/8 issue..

AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 2,577Member Rare

Trying to dual boot win7/8 on same SSD. Win7 has 185gb, Win8 has 40gb. Windows7 works fine however when I goto install win8 it gives me a can't install on GPT partition style. Doesn't make a lot of sense.. since that is what should be done. 

I can install win8 on a GPT partition with a clean drive, so i'm kinda confused on what to do. 

I can only assume its a confliction with 2 windows on the same drive, however i can't find any information on it.

Anyone have some insight on this?

Comments

• FugglyFuggly Newport News, VAPosts: 141Member
    I am assuming u already have 7 installed and am trying to install 8 on the same hdd? Did you create a seperate partition to put 8 on in the disk manager?

• KenFisherKenFisher Northwest, INPosts: 5,035Member Uncommon

I found a forum thread about this.  I'm not up to date on OS's but this might be of help.

Link.

Also, instructions on dual boot setup. Link

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FugglyFuggly Newport News, VAPosts: 141Member

Dual boot is easy. Just partition a space in ntfs and install your 2nd os there. Im on a 7 / xp dual boot right now.

edit: oh, and it would be prudent to do a backup first, U never know when something retarded can happen.

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 2,577Member Rare
    Yes i have my partiions set, usb is fat32.. it just wont install onto GPT partition when thats what it is supposed to do. 
  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 2,577Member Rare

Figured it out, my bios kept running the USB as legacy.. it needed to run as UEFI. Always the simplist of things.. -.-