Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Boot win7/8 issue..

AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,921Member Uncommon

Trying to dual boot win7/8 on same SSD. Win7 has 185gb, Win8 has 40gb. Windows7 works fine however when I goto install win8 it gives me a can't install on GPT partition style. Doesn't make a lot of sense.. since that is what should be done. 

I can install win8 on a GPT partition with a clean drive, so i'm kinda confused on what to do. 

I can only assume its a confliction with 2 windows on the same drive, however i can't find any information on it.

Anyone have some insight on this?

• FugglyFuggly Newport News, VAPosts: 141Member
    I am assuming u already have 7 installed and am trying to install 8 on the same hdd? Did you create a seperate partition to put 8 on in the disk manager?

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 5,015Member Uncommon

I found a forum thread about this.  I'm not up to date on OS's but this might be of help.

Also, instructions on dual boot setup. Link

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FugglyFuggly Newport News, VAPosts: 141Member

Dual boot is easy. Just partition a space in ntfs and install your 2nd os there. Im on a 7 / xp dual boot right now.

edit: oh, and it would be prudent to do a backup first, U never know when something retarded can happen.

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,921Member Uncommon
    Yes i have my partiions set, usb is fat32.. it just wont install onto GPT partition when thats what it is supposed to do. 
  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,921Member Uncommon

Figured it out, my bios kept running the USB as legacy.. it needed to run as UEFI. Always the simplist of things.. -.-