Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The War Z: The War Z - Feelin' a Bit Uncomfortable

Comments

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

Most of my experience with playing the game in beta happened while my character was dead.

I didn't know my character had died within seconds of me logging it though, as a glitch let me continue to play as normal.  I was able to walk around, pick up objects in the world including looting players, consume items, shoot weapons, cause a massive amount of bleeding on this one other player.  Eventually I got bored and it was only when I was logged out back at character select that I realized my character had been dead nearly that entire time.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I dont get why people do not report this company and others to the FTC and let them open an investigation of the company. People do it all the time on plenty of companies and shady companies get shut down and fined for tons of money all the time for taking shortcuts and breaking the rules. If shady steam is shutting them down from their site , i think honestly this studio could easily be shut down at least here in the US for sales.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    This is fraud, plain and simple.  They lied. 
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Zyzra

Most of my experience with playing the game in beta happened while my character was dead.

I didn't know my character had died within seconds of me logging it though, as a glitch let me continue to play as normal.  I was able to walk around, pick up objects in the world including looting players, consume items, shoot weapons, cause a massive amount of bleeding on this one other player.  Eventually I got bored and it was only when I was logged out back at character select that I realized my character had been dead nearly that entire time.

Your post reads like a horror story.

"And then... the MMO player realized his character... had been dead the whole time! Aaaaah!"

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i actually laugh when i see the zombies attack people. they dont swarm like zombies should (day of the dead ect) instead they wobble and saunter after them groaning then get within 5 feet and swing their arms like a 1month old sucking on the leg of a teddy. 

totally not how a zombie should really be if you want it to be believable and immersive.  the game eng shows its weaknesses in almost every video i see of it.  i know warinc was pretty bad but warz takes it to another level by the animations alone.. 

the fact they are charing so much for it both before and even now.. is rather scary. i mean MO charged for its access but atleast the animations i have seen from MO look ok. warz they look horrid :/ (reminds me of the free mod, "No more room in hell" with the bad zombie animations. but then thats a free source mod so its forgivable)

i also noticed the steam page has changed to say servers hold 40-100 players now instead of how they had it before, so i guess they are learning. they tweeked it to not be a total out right BS page now... still over charging for a 1.0 build :/ but owell

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

Your post reads like a horror story.

"And then... the MMO player realized his character... had been dead the whole time! Aaaaah!"

The scariest part is that with the power of visa, the player can actually RAISE THE DEAD!!!

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Sounds like The War Z devs noticed that AAA developers were releasing garbage so they wanted to jump on the train...

Unfortunately you need a lot of money to release garbage these days.  Have to set yourself up to steal peoples money and keep it legal!

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    From this debacle all the way back to their lead developer creating an open letter to the community calling parts of his fan base a bunch of British Cigarrettes ( I can't say the word here, it's not a good one), it's not looking too good for these guys.  Even though the developer offered a loose apology, he still hasn't taken responsibility for his actions in that situation or this one.  Simply put, they do not understand how this business works and it will bury them.
  • dieman4dieman4 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Phew...im GLAD i didnt pay for this SHIT ASS GAME. I dont have to ask for a refund and non of that shit..and my money well kept to spend on for christmas gifts instead. People are so ignorant and stupid....that they dont even realize whats going on around them. These developers are only IN IT for your MONEY...MONEY...and yes...MONEY!!!!!!!!!! A true developer that CARED about his/her game...would RESPECT its gaming COMMUNITY...and not take a SHIT on THEM. yes...a true developer and its gaming staff...would be friendly all the time...and lets not forget..."Customer is always right"..who is the customer?...us...thats right...we are the fucking customers. You think "ONE" customer doesnt make a difference? Well you are a fucking joke my friend. Games...stores...malls....etc all start with that "ONE" customer...so dont go fucking being a fan boy shit and backing up these guys. Cant even get a refund for a game that is in BETA? Threats...? Bans...? Whoever, payed for this piece of garbage of milking money game...if you love it...good for you. For the rest of mankind...please..be smart and think "THREE" times before you buy crap games like this in the future.
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Hey folks,

Interesting comments you have here!

Most of the actual information was in the posts on Game By Night and Kotaku, but I think a lot of you know most of the issues presented. 

For those of you who mentioned that the servers can hold 100 people now, can you send me a message with a link to updated information. Based on the info I had at the time (Game by Night's post has the info), there was a quote saying, "I don’t see ‘LIE’ in saying ‘up to 100 players per sever’ and having the current limit at 50 players.We’ve just lowered the number of players per map down from 70 based on requests and votes from our players."

The wording points to there never being a 100-man possible server to begin with, which seems odd.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• NemorsaNemorsa Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 131
    Pay to remove spawn timers and max 50 players is false, but the parts of the fraud that actually matter? Yeah those still stand.

So because those two things are wrong you ignore the rest of the article? It's funny that people call out two minuscule things, but don't comment on them stealing art or any of the other "correct" claims. Remember all that crap Gene Simmons' kid got into because he traced Bleach art in his graphic novel? This company was even to lazy to trace, or even try to make it different in anyway, looks like a copy paste with a few touch ups in Photoshop to make it look illustrated. The article also talks about how crappy the devs are to their customers. Two things that kind of matter more than the two things the dev changed after the article was written.
  • NemorsaNemorsa Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 131
    Pay to remove spawn timers and max 50 players is false, but the parts of the fraud that actually matter? Yeah those still stand.

So because those two things are wrong you ignore the rest of the article? It's funny that people call out two minuscule things, but don't comment on them stealing art or any of the other "correct" claims. Remember all that crap Gene Simmons' kid got into because he traced Bleach art in his graphic novel? This company was even to lazy to trace, or even try to make it different in anyway, looks like a copy paste with a few touch ups in Photoshop to make it look illustrated. The article also talks about how crappy the devs are to their customers. Two things that kind of matter more than the two things the dev changed after the article was written.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

All I know is that I have had first-hand knowledge of having to deal with HI's terrible CSRs, immature forum mods, and brain-dead Devs in trying to solve a simple issue I was having with the client long before this steam fiasco.

The issue got dragged out for weeks and none of their staff was being cooperative, especially when they started trying to talk down to me, and contradicting their own policies throughout the process. So after finally getting tired of HI's incompetence, I ended up communicating directly to their parent company handling refunds and got my money back. 

I had high hopes for the concept of the game, but at this point with the idiocy running HI currently, I don't see it becoming a reality.

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61

First off, I'm also a graphic artist.  Taking a photo, altering the colors and overpainting some hair is copywrte infringment.  There are no two ways around it.  I wouldn't even do that for a non-comercial gallery image much less a banner ad for a product.  Add to that the whole IP was stolen in the first place, but that's harder to claim in a court.  The stolen graphics could very easily get them nailed to the wall, and I hope it does.

Overall they deserve every bit of negative press they are getting plus some.  I really hope people see all this and learn not to waste their money.

I did not buy WarZ, I read the info before it was released and steared clear.  I bought Arma 2, a good game in its own right, and play DayZ, a free mod without a cash shop.  It's not without its bugs but it's a free mod, and it's still way better than WarZ could ever hope to be.  I am very much looking forward to the official DayZ game being worked on by the Arma 2 and DayZ developers and I will happily give them my money when it is released.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    First expressions about WarZ for me was that it was not half as good as Day Z.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

They've already moved onto a new game and will likely caese support for WarZ next year.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/17/arktos-entertainment-acquires-majority-stake-in-game-studio-hammerpoint-interactive-exclusive/

"Los Angeles-based Hammerpoint will announce its next game in early 2013 and will release it in the third quarter of 2013."

As they did with WarINC they will probably move the entire team from WarZ to this new game and cease support for WarZ.

If they need to they will probably scrap the hammerpoint name, absorb everything back into Arktos and start a new company, as they did when they switched from WarINC to WarZ.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Honestly these things are taken way out of extreme.

people spending too much time to ditching a game-if you dont want to play it then dont. move on, if you feel youve been ripped off- ask for a refund. -done.

i myself beign a commercial artist-there is nothign wrong to take images(photographs) for referenceto use in  illustrations. this is just stupid. iam not going to go into detail about teh extent of usage i would say 85% of the people here woulndt even understand and iam not abt to educate them about commercial advertising. they should be in school learnign something instead of trolling forums.

You sound like you do not know much about this particular case at all.

It isn't just about a graphic.

Also asking for a refund had some customers threatened with being added to a "global blacklist" which would make purchases from other companies very difficult in the future.

Not to mention the developers lying about why the game was pulled from steam on their forums.

Don't forget the developers permanently banning people from the Steam forums for breaking a rule they have on their non-steam forums.

Also deleting threads that ask for refunds.

Valve is spending a lot of time undoing the damage caused by this developer.

But yeah I'm not going to go into the detail about the full extent of the fraud as I am not about to educate a commercial advertiser on the merits of reading about something.

This is also goin on on the Darkfall Unholy Wars Forums. Asking for a refund got my account permenently banned, but my subscription is still active.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

people spending too much time to ditching a game-if you dont want to play it then dont. move on, if you feel youve been ripped off- ask for a refund. -done.

i myself beign a commercial artist-there is nothign wrong to take images(photographs) for referenceto use in  illustrations. this is just stupid. iam not going to go into detail about teh extent of usage i would say 85% of the people here woulndt even understand and iam not abt to educate them about commercial advertising. they should be in school learnign something instead of trolling forums.

Sergey has lied about absolutely everything. Ontop of that he admits that the advertisement wasn't correct but he says "We are sorry if people have missread the advertisements". He kept lying and accusing that everyone who reported a bug or complained about the FACT that a lot of things he advertised with where not in the game, he called them Day-z fanboys trying to destroy his game and reputation. I never ever met anyone who banned people for reporting a bug...yet he does and shouts that they where fanboy's trying to destroy the game and that there are no bugs. And this Sergey guy should be on a blacklist of frauds. He lied, he treathened and he been a general *ss to his community. He should be blacklisted and never get a job in the game industry ever again.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Kabaal

They've already moved onto a new game and will likely caese support for WarZ next year.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/17/arktos-entertainment-acquires-majority-stake-in-game-studio-hammerpoint-interactive-exclusive/

"Los Angeles-based Hammerpoint will announce its next game in early 2013 and will release it in the third quarter of 2013."

As they did with WarINC they will probably move the entire team from WarZ to this new game and cease support for WarZ.

If they need to they will probably scrap the hammerpoint name, absorb everything back into Arktos and start a new company, as they did when they switched from WarINC to WarZ.

Amazing how frauds like that may continue ripping people off. So they make a game in about 3 months time. Demand money from it...people buy it, find out its nothing near as the promises said...then they cease their studio and move on. These guys should be arrested and get in jail for a few years.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

You sound like you do not know much about this particular case at all.

It isn't just about a graphic.

Also asking for a refund had some customers threatened with being added to a "global blacklist" which would make purchases from other companies very difficult in the future.

Not to mention the developers lying about why the game was pulled from steam on their forums.

Don't forget the developers permanently banning people from the Steam forums for breaking a rule they have on their non-steam forums.

Also deleting threads that ask for refunds.

Valve is spending a lot of time undoing the damage caused by this developer.

But yeah I'm not going to go into the detail about the full extent of the fraud as I am not about to educate a commercial advertiser on the merits of reading about something.

This is also goin on on the Darkfall Unholy Wars Forums. Asking for a refund got my account permenently banned, but my subscription is still active.

Does anybody have an email of being threatened with being added to a global balcklist.  I know there are global backlist for email spammers, but I never heard of one for games. I would like to see a screen shot of one of those emails. 

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

The IGN and other interviews were very entertaining.

I get how people can/do defend SWTOR decisions that made me want to pull my hair out , even how some die hard Darkfall fans defend their turf so to say.

But how anyone can defend this guy , who lied/ducked multiple times many questions/issues is beyond me.

Easiest example is he said they ran out of Steam keys is why Steam pulled it , when Valve directly says they pulled it because in a nutshell it's crap and we don't want to have it on Steam.

Fairly easy to believe Valve over this guy/team , yet people still want to give him a pass even on this ?

I guess there's a sucker born every minute.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by furdude
    Paying to remove respawn timers has been removed from the game. This part of your artcle is incorrect.

You seem to be doing an awful lot of research to attempt to prove this article as wrong, including replying to everything everyone says here against the game.

Do you perchance work for the company in the article? If so, it may be advisable to cease in your comments, before you make the company look even worse.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Im glad they sorted this out, the game was never ready for sales like that. Maybe end of Q1 next year.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

i myself beign a commercial artist-there is nothign wrong to take images(photographs) for referenceto use in  illustrations. [mod edit]

I agree, I took a break from this website, I come back a month later and I see this and another article trashing the game still, talk about a stale industry.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by furdude
    Paying to remove respawn timers has been removed from the game. This part of your artcle is incorrect.

All of your comments where you're going "that was incorrect" were correct for the time so stop sounding like such a crazy-hardcore fanboi. The author's articlle is 100% correct for the time it was written.

Smile