Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arch age exploration

jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
hello all. i just started reading and chanecking out videos abotu this game. Is there any incentive in this game for Exploraing the land?

Comments

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

New places to plant your crops, or finding someone elses hidden ones for a bit of first come, first serve.

New housing areas.

Finding invasion type events - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrn9kwqjtaQ

As to Acheivements, Exploration XP, no idea... :)

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

New places to plant your crops, or finding someone elses hidden ones for a bit of first come, first serve.

New housing areas.

and thats really more of what im asking about, achievments and explorations xp... things of that nature. I ask because im a big fan of how GW2 leveling is based on exploration and moving all around the map. id liek to see this in more mmos to come.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,549

New places to plant your crops, or finding someone elses hidden ones for a bit of first come, first serve.New housing areas.Finding invasion type events - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrn9kwqjtaQ As to Acheivements, Exploration XP, no idea... :) 

Invasion type events are just like Rifts from Rift.

http://youtu.be/DeiPTq7aSFc

http://youtu.be/09jT9GKeeuE

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by jadan2000

New housing areas.

and thats really more of what im asking about, achievments and explorations xp... things of that nature. I ask because im a big fan of how GW2 leveling is based on exploration and moving all around the map. id liek to see this in more mmos to come.

Games before GW2 had reason to explore the land, other than pre-listed achievements / xp you can run to (like finding rare crafting materials - in a game with decent crafting, treasures, rare pets, rare enemies, famous sites in game lore, views that don't give exp. etc) Any somewhat sand boxy game has plenty of reasons to go explore, and this game should have quite a good deal.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This also has pvp going on anywhere,so if that is your thing.Also i bet tons will have fun hang gliding,so they will be looking for various places to launch.

I have never heard the term "incentive" used before for exploration,usually you do that just because you want to enjoy the artwork or different locations.I mean seriously,if yo udidn't think there was any "incentive" does that mean you don't want to go anywhere,just stand stationary and/or warp directly to everything?

What i feel the op means is really not good,probably talking about the very idea i detest and that is FREE xp handouts for just walking around into a new area.That is one of the dumbest ideas i have seen developers do,it is like stooping to low standadrds,like a form of bribing players with simple hand outs.In EVERY game i have seen do this,there is NO exploration,the linear questing already takes you to those areas.

I am pretty sure linear questing will be a part of this game as well,i would bet on it,so you will be hand held into every area.Since freebie xp is more of a SOE design,we at least might not see that cheap handout in Aage.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Wizardry

This also has pvp going on anywhere,so if that is your thing.Also i bet tons will have fun hang gliding,so they will be looking for various places to launch.

I have never heard the term "incentive" used before for exploration,usually you do that just because you want to enjoy the artwork or different locations.I mean seriously,if yo udidn't think there was any "incentive" does that mean you don't want to go anywhere,just stand stationary and/or warp directly to everything?

What i feel the op means is really not good,probably talking about the very idea i detest and that is FREE xp handouts for just walking around into a new area.That is one of the dumbest ideas i have seen developers do,it is like stooping to low standadrds,like a form of bribing players with simple hand outs.In EVERY game i have seen do this,there is NO exploration,the linear questing already takes you to those areas.

I am pretty sure linear questing will be a part of this game as well,i would bet on it,so you will be hand held into every area.Since freebie xp is more of a SOE design,we at least might not see that cheap handout in Aage.

My only experience with SOE was SWG back in the day, and that had superd exploration. I liked finding various lore sites amongst other things. I don't get your jab at SOE and free exp, since I haven't played their games since - is that getting exp with each region unlocked? I agree with your attitude on "incentives" and how the OP sounds to be needing some pathetic reason to "EXPlore"...that's very much like the spoiled child outlook on life...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

New housing areas.

I hope this game's "exploration" is nothing at all like GW2.

GW2 just consists of square maps with extremely limited exploration.  As you enter a new section of a GW2 map, it gets revealed on the global map, and all interesting places that can be investigated for achievements (Points of Interest, Vistas, waypoints) are precisely shown.  This is not exploration, but just going from place to place, as indicated on the map.

I never finished unlocking all the maps in GW2 because it's uninspired and rather drab.

Conversely, early WoW had many odd places that could be explored, which players might not ever know about, unless they spent a bunch of time actually exploring.  The deserted town Northeast of Eastern Plaguelands, for instance, which could only be gotten to by swimming along the coast from Thrisfall Glades (took about 15 minutes to reach via swimming) .. a deserted fishing hut over the mountains, along the coast west of Stormwind, also reachable only by long swims .. Ironforge Airport .. The dwarf outpost camp above the Ironforge mountain, dancing troll area over the mountains east of Darkshire .. island remnants from the BC gate quest, south of Tanaris (had to use everything from your bag of tricks to get there without fatigue dying - soulstone, waterwalk pots, speed run, everything you had or could get from other players), etc..

Flying mounts and the world revamp took alot of the exploration features away, but they were fun easter eggs to find pre-Cataclysm.  GW2 has none of this.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Karteli

New housing areas.

GW2 just consists of square maps with extremely limited exploration.  As you enter a new section of a GW2 map, it gets revealed on the global map, and all interesting places that can be investigated for achievements (Points of Interest, Vistas, waypoints) are precisely shown.  This is not exploration, but just going from place to place, as indicated on the map.

I never finished unlocking all the maps in GW2 because it's uninspired and rather drab.

Conversely, early WoW had many odd places that could be explored, which players might not ever know about, unless they spent a bunch of time actually exploring.  The deserted town Northeast of Eastern Plaguelands, for instance, which could only be gotten to by swimming along the coast from Thrisfall Glades (took about 15 minutes to reach via swimming) .. a deserted fishing hut over the mountains, along the coast west of Stormwind, also reachable only by long swims .. Ironforge Airport .. The dwarf outpost camp above the Ironforge mountain, dancing troll area over the mountains east of Darkshire .. island remnants from the BC gate quest, south of Tanaris (had to use everything from your bag of tricks to get there without fatigue dying - soulstone, waterwalk pots, speed run, everything you had or could get from other players), etc..

Flying mounts and the world revamp took alot of the exploration features away, but they were fun easter eggs to find pre-Cataclysm.  GW2 has none of this.

GW2 has that - you know you can turn ALL THE MAP ICON OFF? You do know that, don't ya?  GW2 gives you a choice.

GW2 has loads of things you can find that aren't listed, chests, crafting materials,etc. Just because you have 100% exploration based on POI's, Vistas, and hearts doesn't mean you have seen it all.

I think your bias is showing......

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

You explore because the world is huge and you can explore from the get go(if you choose, but better wait till you get your rowing boat, or get a lift with someone else on their bigger boats). Each race's land has their own distinct look and is worth visiting simply because the graphics are so good.

Of course mentioned above there's pvp, stealing peoples harvest, maybe you want to settle down and build a house in that particular area, world bosses and crafting.

I went exploring in my boat and found an island in the middle of the ocean that wasn't on the map, only to find a clan had made it their base and were growing loads of expensive plants, you can see from the picture below one of their scouts watching me

• AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

I'll give an even better reason to explore. The seas are completely uncharted, you won't see any island on the map, but there's a shit ton of them out there, with housing areas, ressources, usefull NPCs...

(I played betas so can take my word for it ).

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,549

New housing areas.

The invasion type events have been upgraded. They are very much like Rifts or Public quests.

http://youtu.be/YPNC4R6YbMA

Here are the bosses during the last phase of a event.

http://youtu.be/UC5WxPtsmsE

http://youtu.be/OEm-B2z8iHg

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Kumapon

New housing areas.

The invasion type events have been upgraded. They are very much like Rifts or Public quests.

http://youtu.be/YPNC4R6YbMA

Here are the bosses during the last phase of a event.

http://youtu.be/UC5WxPtsmsE

http://youtu.be/OEm-B2z8iHg

Cool

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

New housing areas.

While i agree most of those spots in WoW were fun to get too (been to all of the ones you listed and more) but most of them were only reachable via walljumping and/or using exploits. It was good fun but it was never intended game design.

GW2 actually has MANY amazing odd places that are 'not marked' on the map.

Exploiting was my favorite thing to do while i still played WoW as it showed my amazing stuff.

But i actually prefer GW2 jumping puzzles and the likes, they are so tough and not listed on the maps that not allot of people get to see the end anyway ^^

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

New housing areas.

Why do people go out their way to lie? 

Anyway though, this is good, I actually wish I heard about rift like events in a review I just read yesterday, this is pretty good. I actually don't mind long as I will have a bit more control of the combat and the fact that these rift like events are in a sandbox is a plus...er or should I say sandpark?

A bit offtopic - Anybody know if the combat is like for example I press 1, my character swings like GW2 or if  I press 1 and I have to target someone sort of like SWTOR/Rift and can't really control my swings, I think it's like GW 2 a little bit but just want to make sure.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

My 2 cents on good exploration is that in SWG you could place waypoints on the maps for your own personal use.

Now I don't mean this feature = decent exploration, but if your game makes this kind of feature useful or even neccessary  then you have got something right on the exploration front.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'