Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think SWTOR is good story telling?

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by jpnz

I find your lack of faith in the Female Shepard (i mean Female Trooper) disturbing. :P

LOL I have a male Trooper :) Are you saying that I have to create a female one LOL.

Btw I love to play male characters in SWTOR. They are so... cute. Body type 2 btw...

They are both voiced by Jennifer Hale and she plays them both really similar (which makes sense since they are both 'soldiers'.

If you play Female Trooper, SWTOR becomes 'Mass Effect the MMO'.

LOL ok... she will be my character #26 /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by FromHell

What an avatar has to say in an MMO is meaningless, as you know the dialogue options are mostly useless in TOR, except for dark or lightside points fluff. 

Actually each class has many story paths and your dialogue decisions alter the reactions from the story, NPC's and your companions.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I bought TSW but can't make myself to play it. The starting cutscenes are not that great in my opinion and I don't like that my character is mute. I guess it's a matter of style.

And if TSW was so great, why it does struggle so much to stay afloat, TSW has forced Xfire on log in  (which surprised me)  and even that can't make the difference in numbers. I will play it in small doses as I love storyline MMOS but it does not make me as excited as when I play SWTOR. In fact it makes me really depressed and I don't like it LOL. I don't play MMOs to get depression LOL. I play it to have fun.

I don't know why this keeps popping up, but the game doesn't force anything on install.

You make me like charity

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I bought TSW but can't make myself to play it. The starting cutscenes are not that great in my opinion and I don't like that my character is mute. I guess it's a matter of style.

And if TSW was so great, why it does struggle so much to stay afloat, TSW has forced Xfire on log in  (which surprised me)  and even that can't make the difference in numbers. I will play it in small doses as I love storyline MMOS but it does not make me as excited as when I play SWTOR. In fact it makes me really depressed and I don't like it LOL. I don't play MMOs to get depression LOL. I play it to have fun.

I don't know why this keeps popping up, but the game doesn't force anything on install.

Yep, that´s another BS rumor. Never got any Xfire installation with TSW, also the assumption that TSW would struggle is wrong. I can´t get anywhere at the moment without seeing tons of other players, even more than during the population growth in the last 3-4 months. So far the only title I see that struggles is TOR (shutting down 90% of the servers doesn´t scream success)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AyliarAyliar Member UncommonPosts: 17
    The character/class storyline at times made me feel like I was actually part of a mini movie or book. Sometimes it was just the same old, same old. Voice  cutscenes did a very good job. Spoiled me for questing in other mmo's to a small degree.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I found the story to be extremely cheesy...  with all the annoying cliche stuff, e.g., "I have a bad feeling about this", "all smugglers are rugged and drive a fast / ugly ship", "the carbonite casings", etc.. It was so cheesy that it actually made mefeel stupid playing it,
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    I found the story to be extremely cheesy...  with all the annoying cliche stuff, e.g., "I have a bad feeling about this", "all smugglers are rugged and drive a fast / ugly ship", "the carbonite casings", etc.. It was so cheesy that it actually made mefeel stupid playing it,

Smuggler story is a bit different from others. I would not make a solid opinion about game based on just one and one of the weakest in my opinion storyline.

Imperial Agent's storyline and ship are like 1000x better, though I enjoyed smuggler storyline mostly because of some very funny liners.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Yep, that´s another BS rumor. Never got any Xfire installation with TSW, also the assumption that TSW would struggle is wrong. I can´t get anywhere at the moment without seeing tons of other players, even more than during the population growth in the last 3-4 months. So far the only title I see that struggles is TOR (shutting down 90% of the servers doesn´t scream success)

If you have Xfire installed, it outomatically logs you to Xfire, I did not say will install it. I have it on my computer but I don't use it, so I was surprised that it used it.

TOR is doing good, thank you very much :)

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I did like the class quest and story for my charakter in swtor (smuggelar) but when reach max level it was game over for me, totally changed how you play the game.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I found it great for the class story line. However it was total 100% overkill for all the side quests, and the dailies like the 3 sith who went down to the vault.  You learned to hit the space bar a lot.

• DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28
    The hate is swelling in you now!
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

If you have Xfire installed, it outomatically logs you to Xfire, I did not say will install it. I have it on my computer but I don't use it, so I was surprised that it used it.

I don't have Xfire and I don't know anyone who uses it, in fact I hate apps running in the background collecting information.

don't need this crap.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

I don't have Xfire and I don't know anyone who uses it, in fact I hate apps running in the background collecting information.

don't need this crap.

It has some cool features. Like video capturing and broadcasting, chat and much more. I use it from time to time, not very often.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    If you want good story telling play games like Risen, The Witcher, Planescape Torment.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I think the class stories are the one aspect of SWTOR that Bioware/EA nailed. I don't play much anymore, but I will definitely play the expansion just for the story.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Terranah

If I want stories, I pick up a book and read.  If I'm too lazy to do that, I'll watch tv.  If I want to play a game for story, I'll pick up an rpg.  When I play an mmo though, it's usually not for story but community.

A lot of the greatest Star Wars stories can not be told because it's the wrong time period.

I see this argument a lot and I agree to a point...but what came first with the MMORPG, the massive or the rpg?  I think you can have both and thats what Bioware tried to do. 

If I want something with lotsa people, action, and little story, I'll go for something like APB or Guild Wars 2...but I do like story in any form of RPG.   Story allows you to become invested in the journey outside of the progression mechanics.

You bring up a great point.  People seem to forget that MMORPG's have their roots in table top role playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons, where the whole point was to try and replicate the experience of *telling a story* with a bunch of friends.

Nonsense.

Roleplaying game is NOT A STORY TELLING GAME. That's a different sort of tabletop game.

Roleplaying game is all about mechanics and character building. That's what defines roleplaying game. In fact, first RPG was D&D built upon Chainmail - miniature wargame with character building and deep combat mechanics.

REALITY CHECK

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

The stories are good, Not great. My biggest annoyance comes from the NPC's they are all cardboard cutouts. Jedi NPC 1-5 will ALL act the same, Smuggler NPC 1-5 once again all the same. They didn't give anyone a sense of identity, there is no depth to any of the NPC's you meet.

If you wish me to further prove my point look at TSW for a beautiful showing of how to gives NPC's a life of their own. Speically the 2 Gay Archeologiests who are way to cute for their own good.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

I honestly have no idea why so many people think TORs story teling is so amazing. I felt it was about the same level of quality as the average saturday morning cartoon show, though I admit TOR did offer more mature subject matter.

In the end EA's focus on grafting their single player party peice onto an MMO was massively pretentious, financially ruinous, and made the player take a back seat so they could show off their silly little movies.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

tOR isn't doing that well.  I'm glad you're happy with it, but EA and Bioware certainly don't agree with you.  Hense the F2P, staff firings, direction changes, etc..

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Rayshe

The stories are good, Not great. My biggest annoyance comes from the NPC's they are all cardboard cutouts. Jedi NPC 1-5 will ALL act the same, Smuggler NPC 1-5 once again all the same. They didn't give anyone a sense of identity, there is no depth to any of the NPC's you meet.

If you wish me to further prove my point look at TSW for a beautiful showing of how to gives NPC's a life of their own. Speically the 2 Gay Archeologiests who are way to cute for their own good.

That sort of boils down to my main problem with the game.  It feels like a movie production rather than a game production, and I don't mean that in a good way.  All the environments are like set pieces, with the props in place and the lighing and ambience set just right, and all the extras ready to mill around in the background.

Much like the time budget of a movie requires many characters to be "cardboard cutouts" in an effort to quickly convey a personality, the game relies on plenty of generic personality tropes even though the player will be around for much longer than an hour and a half.

It makes for a sterile, lifeless experience where the sun never actually moves and the actors are always in place.  It's pretty though.

You make me like charity

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Because they're the same type of people that enjoy Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey. Simple people.

The stories in SWTOR are pretty awful, but most people overlook it when they see the pretty lasers and Jedi. It's so padded, so many stupid references to the original trilogy that don't make sense. The entire setting doesn't make sense.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

I agree with this thread and you, Flight.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Because they're the same type of people that enjoy Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey. Simple people.

The stories in SWTOR are pretty awful, but most people overlook it when they see the pretty lasers and Jedi. It's so padded, so many stupid references to the original trilogy that don't make sense. The entire setting doesn't make sense.

Hmmm I respectfully disagree with everything what you say.

It's your opinion, nothing else.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Some people like the stories because they are capable of applying imagination to their bare-bones structure. The real immersion happens when the two...the written word and your vivid embellishments...gel. Does anyone else use imagination this way?...sure it seems silly but its enjoyable to me. Littel dialogues and story details created in my mind. Its not like a speak them aloud or anything. just in the course of gameplay.    It's like when you were young and played with action figures....the figures are there as tools...with whatever you may know about the character. The rest is up to you. Where in a sandbox type of MMO you do the same to a greater degree..which is cool..but I also like the stories of SWTOR to fuel my own inspiration.

The stories are not all "Citizen Kane"...but they're not all "The Room" either.