Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth getting?

13

Comments

  • TelondarielTelondariel Ottawa, ONPosts: 1,001Member
    Originally posted by Renton81
    So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.).

    Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?

    If you are still reading this thread, you should have easily noticed a couple of things:

     

    1. Honest opinions from people that have played the game and left for one reason or another.  Nothing they are saying is inflammatory or outlandish, rather they are rational commentary from people that have simply moved on. 
    2. Fanboys.  If you read these forums, you will notice the same people jumping in and attacking others that do not praise and bow to ANET and their perfect game, GW2.  While they do have an opinion, and do not forget that it is solely theirs, for some reason they beleive that people with different views are threatening them and GW2 somehow.  They are easy to spot.

     

    Ultimately, its up to you how you proceed.  I tried it and wished I hadn't spent the $60.  It was pretty, but it was an over-hyped, shallow, grindfest and the combat mechanics and classes did not agree with me at all.  Content for me is not running around a map to look at every corner just because there isn't much else to do, or grind for cosmetic gear skins.  Its not substantive.  It is pretty, but there are much better games out there worth investing into if you want any semblance of depth.

     

    But, all that is my opinion.  If you want to try it, do.  Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't.

    image
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Renton81
    So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.).

    Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?

    If you are still reading this thread, you should have easily noticed a couple of things:

     

    1. Honest opinions from people that have played the game and left for one reason or another.  Nothing they are saying is inflammatory or outlandish, rather they are rational commentary from people that have simply moved on. 
    2. Fanboys.  If you read these forums, you will notice the same people jumping in and attacking others that do not praise and bow to ANET and their perfect game, GW2.  While they do have an opinion, and do not forget that it is solely theirs, for some reason they beleive that people with different views are threatening them and GW2 somehow.  They are easy to spot.

     

    Ultimately, its up to you how you proceed.  I tried it and wished I hadn't spent the $60.  It was pretty, but it was an over-hyped, shallow, grindfest and the combat mechanics and classes did not agree with me at all.  Content for me is not running around a map to look at every corner just because there isn't much else to do, or grind for cosmetic gear skins.  Its not substantive.  It is pretty, but there are much better games out there worth investing into if you want any semblance of depth.

     

    But, all that is my opinion.  If you want to try it, do.  Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't.

    Nah so far the only rabid attacks and outlandish posts have come from a few haters that still troll these forums. A lot seem to be TSW fans which is sad. No idea why some can't let go of the fact that TSW didn't perform as well as GW2 did at launch. It's not the end of the world. 

    GW2 being worth a buy is a hard thing to argue against. It's a AAA MMO with a great deal of polish and a ton of content for that $60. For the record I've even gotten on board behind TSW since it's conversion to buy to play, it wasn't worth a sub but as a buy to play the value is there. 

     

    No reason to attack fans simply because you don't agree with them :)  

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

    Originally posted by Telondariel

    Originally posted by Renton81 So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.). Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?
    If you are still reading this thread, you should have easily noticed a couple of things:   [*] Honest opinions from people that have played the game and left for one reason or another.  Nothing they are saying is inflammatory or outlandish, rather they are rational commentary from people that have simply moved on.  Fanboys.  If you read these forums, you will notice the same people jumping in and attacking others that do not praise and bow to ANET and their perfect game, GW2.  While they do have an opinion, and do not forget that it is solely theirs, for some reason they beleive that people with different views are threatening them and GW2 somehow.  They are easy to spot.
      Ultimately, its up to you how you proceed.  I tried it and wished I hadn't spent the $60.  It was pretty, but it was an over-hyped, shallow, grindfest and the combat mechanics and classes did not agree with me at all.  Content for me is not running around a map to look at every corner just because there isn't much else to do, or grind for cosmetic gear skins.  Its not substantive.  It is pretty, but there are much better games out there worth investing into if you want any semblance of depth.   But, all that is my opinion.  If you want to try it, do.  Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't.
    Nah so far the only rabid attacks and outlandish posts have come from a few haters that still troll these forums. A lot seem to be TSW fans which is sad. No idea why some can't let go of the fact that TSW didn't perform as well as GW2 did at launch. It's not the end of the world. 


    No reason to attack fans simply because you don't agree with them :)  


    And how exactly did we get on the topic of TSW vs GW2? same culprits everytime.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • dirtysidedirtyside warren, MIPosts: 79Member Uncommon
    for the first 2 weeks of playing , yes , but after that its boring and nothing fun about it
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Telondariel

    If you are still reading this thread, you should have easily noticed a couple of things:

     

    1. Honest opinions from people that have played the game and left for one reason or another.  Nothing they are saying is inflammatory or outlandish, rather they are rational commentary from people that have simply moved on. 
    2. Fanboys.  If you read these forums, you will notice the same people jumping in and attacking others that do not praise and bow to ANET and their perfect game, GW2.  While they do have an opinion, and do not forget that it is solely theirs, for some reason they beleive that people with different views are threatening them and GW2 somehow.  They are easy to spot.

     

    Ultimately, its up to you how you proceed.  I tried it and wished I hadn't spent the $60.  It was pretty, but it was an over-hyped, shallow, grindfest and the combat mechanics and classes did not agree with me at all Content for me is not running around a map to look at every corner just because there isn't much else to do, or grind for cosmetic gear skins.  Its not substantive.  It is pretty, but there are much better games out there worth investing into if you want any semblance of depth.

     

    But, all that is my opinion.  If you want to try it, do.  Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't.

    The red part is absolute troll: guys that left the game are all great human beings; guys that challenge them are evil fanboys.

    Over-hyped doesn't reduce the quality of the product.

    Shallow why?

    Grindfest in a game people can reach level cap and have max stats items in 100 hours? Lie. (Ascended items changed it a bit but there is only rings and backslots but those are recent additions).

    The green is a valid and honest argument.

    It is a shame that people don't then give examples what real content is or what amazing MMORPGs are out there much better than GW2 and with so much more depth and just stay on generalaties.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,341Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    If you have to question a game that has won multiple Game of the Year awards, RPG of the year awards, MMORPG of the year awards, etc.  than why would you come here for information?  Do you honestly think that you'll get unbias opinions and not a slew of troll posts?

     I can almost consider some of the GW2 fanboys posts to be troll posts, especially ones who think "game of the year" means anything, especially when opinions are subjective and even after some sites posted that it is game of the year they then posted articles critisizing the various flaws with the game.

     

    Or the guy whos said "after 1000 hours played I havent even scratched the surface on what to do in this MMO".... after 1000 hours played I could have every class at 80 in full exotics and rank 10 in PvP with 5 100% map completions and 500g. That post was just a downright lie.

      Now wait a minute Pivot, lets not be so harsh about the erhmmm relevant GOTY awards that GW2 has been awarded , i mean afterall it did beat out FTL and Hotline Miami , soooo ....... LOL most people dont even no what those two games are thats how relevant IGN competiton is amongst others ... even these review sites become like sheep feeling they need to give GW2 cred or they will lose cred ....

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

     


    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

    Originally posted by Telondariel

    Originally posted by Renton81 So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.). Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?
    If you are still reading this thread, you should have easily noticed a couple of things:   [*] Honest opinions from people that have played the game and left for one reason or another.  Nothing they are saying is inflammatory or outlandish, rather they are rational commentary from people that have simply moved on.  Fanboys.  If you read these forums, you will notice the same people jumping in and attacking others that do not praise and bow to ANET and their perfect game, GW2.  While they do have an opinion, and do not forget that it is solely theirs, for some reason they beleive that people with different views are threatening them and GW2 somehow.  They are easy to spot.
      Ultimately, its up to you how you proceed.  I tried it and wished I hadn't spent the $60.  It was pretty, but it was an over-hyped, shallow, grindfest and the combat mechanics and classes did not agree with me at all.  Content for me is not running around a map to look at every corner just because there isn't much else to do, or grind for cosmetic gear skins.  Its not substantive.  It is pretty, but there are much better games out there worth investing into if you want any semblance of depth.   But, all that is my opinion.  If you want to try it, do.  Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't.

    Nah so far the only rabid attacks and outlandish posts have come from a few haters that still troll these forums. A lot seem to be TSW fans which is sad. No idea why some can't let go of the fact that TSW didn't perform as well as GW2 did at launch. It's not the end of the world. 

     


    No reason to attack fans simply because you don't agree with them :)  


     

    And how exactly did we get on the topic of TSW vs GW2? same culprits everytime.

    That was you.

    With the following post.

    Originally posted by Nitth

     


    Originally posted by Volkon
    I'm approaching 1000 hours played in this game and I still haven't come close to seeing or doing it all. No game will give you your money's worth like this one in my opinion.

     

    See, the issue i have with these statements is its a testament to ones conviction to keep playing.

    Guild wars 2 is the same in every regard to almost any other mmorpg, You have a world to explore, And Npc interaction within that.

    If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp.

    So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.

    Sure you can run around but those game are worse for the people that enjoy GW2.

    And I gave you some reasons why GW2 is imo better than TSW.

    Why TSW?

    Because I play it and you play it as well.

    It is not my fault that I feel those things when I play TSW and apparently many other think of it as well - vide the gamespot videos about the 2012 awards or many other material published by media, where people time and again talk on how playing other games after GW2 keep thinking "why couldn't this be like in GW2".

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by GrayGhost79 Originally posted by Telondariel Originally posted by Renton81 So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.). Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing? If you are still reading this thread, you should have easily noticed a couple of things:   [*] Honest opinions from people that have played the game and left for one reason or another.  Nothing they are saying is inflammatory or outlandish, rather they are rational commentary from people that have simply moved on.  Fanboys.  If you read these forums, you will notice the same people jumping in and attacking others that do not praise and bow to ANET and their perfect game, GW2.  While they do have an opinion, and do not forget that it is solely theirs, for some reason they beleive that people with different views are threatening them and GW2 somehow.  They are easy to spot.   Ultimately, its up to you how you proceed.  I tried it and wished I hadn't spent the $60.  It was pretty, but it was an over-hyped, shallow, grindfest and the combat mechanics and classes did not agree with me at all.  Content for me is not running around a map to look at every corner just because there isn't much else to do, or grind for cosmetic gear skins.  Its not substantive.  It is pretty, but there are much better games out there worth investing into if you want any semblance of depth.   But, all that is my opinion.  If you want to try it, do.  Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't. Nah so far the only rabid attacks and outlandish posts have come from a few haters that still troll these forums. A lot seem to be TSW fans which is sad. No idea why some can't let go of the fact that TSW didn't perform as well as GW2 did at launch. It's not the end of the world.    No reason to attack fans simply because you don't agree with them :)  
      And how exactly did we get on the topic of TSW vs GW2? same culprits everytime.
    That was you.

    With the following post. Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Volkon I'm approaching 1000 hours played in this game and I still haven't come close to seeing or doing it all. No game will give you your money's worth like this one in my opinion.


      See, the issue i have with these statements is its a testament to ones conviction to keep playing. Guild wars 2 is the same in every regard to almost any other mmorpg, You have a world to explore, And Npc interaction within that. If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp. So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.
    Sure you can run around but those game are worse for the people that enjoy GW2.

    And I gave you some reasons why GW2 is imo better than TSW.

    Why TSW?

    Because I play it and you play it as well.

    It is not my fault that I feel those things when I play TSW and apparently many other think of it as well - vide the gamespot videos about the 2012 awards or many other material published by media, where people time and again talk on how playing other games after GW2 keep thinking "why couldn't this be like in GW2".


    Where. Show me where i incited a TSW vs Gw2 debate?

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    If you have to question a game that has won multiple Game of the Year awards, RPG of the year awards, MMORPG of the year awards, etc.  than why would you come here for information?  Do you honestly think that you'll get unbias opinions and not a slew of troll posts?

     I can almost consider some of the GW2 fanboys posts to be troll posts, especially ones who think "game of the year" means anything, especially when opinions are subjective and even after some sites posted that it is game of the year they then posted articles critisizing the various flaws with the game.

     

    Or the guy whos said "after 1000 hours played I havent even scratched the surface on what to do in this MMO".... after 1000 hours played I could have every class at 80 in full exotics and rank 10 in PvP with 5 100% map completions and 500g. That post was just a downright lie.

      Now wait a minute Pivot, lets not be so harsh about the erhmmm relevant GOTY awards that GW2 has been awarded , i mean afterall it did beat out FTL and Hotline Miami , soooo ....... LOL most people dont even no what those two games are thats how relevant IGN competiton is amongst others ... even these review sites become like sheep feeling they need to give GW2 cred or they will lose cred ....

    Wait wait it also beat AC3, ME3, CODBLOPS2, D3, XCOM:EU amongst other heavy hitters.

    But it is funny GW2 wins because it was overhyped so the media runs along with it, but then less hyped great games are nominated over much better known titles and people still complain about it

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Canton, ILPosts: 163Member
    No. This is the simple anwser, from my PoV.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth


    That was you.

     

    With the following post. Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Volkon I'm approaching 1000 hours played in this game and I still haven't come close to seeing or doing it all. No game will give you your money's worth like this one in my opinion.


      See, the issue i have with these statements is its a testament to ones conviction to keep playing. Guild wars 2 is the same in every regard to almost any other mmorpg, You have a world to explore, And Npc interaction within that. If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp. So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.
    Sure you can run around but those game are worse for the people that enjoy GW2.

     

    And I gave you some reasons why GW2 is imo better than TSW.

    Why TSW?

    Because I play it and you play it as well.

    It is not my fault that I feel those things when I play TSW and apparently many other think of it as well - vide the gamespot videos about the 2012 awards or many other material published by media, where people time and again talk on how playing other games after GW2 keep thinking "why couldn't this be like in GW2".


     

    Where. Show me where i incited a TSW vs Gw2 debate?

    Red bit.

    You say any of these games can be a better values than GW2 because they cost even less.

    Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games are as good or better than GW2?

    I only proceeded to say that while you could around for hours for free, GW2 is a more pleasent place to do that and so worth the price premium.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,341Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    If you have to question a game that has won multiple Game of the Year awards, RPG of the year awards, MMORPG of the year awards, etc.  than why would you come here for information?  Do you honestly think that you'll get unbias opinions and not a slew of troll posts?

     I can almost consider some of the GW2 fanboys posts to be troll posts, especially ones who think "game of the year" means anything, especially when opinions are subjective and even after some sites posted that it is game of the year they then posted articles critisizing the various flaws with the game.

     

    Or the guy whos said "after 1000 hours played I havent even scratched the surface on what to do in this MMO".... after 1000 hours played I could have every class at 80 in full exotics and rank 10 in PvP with 5 100% map completions and 500g. That post was just a downright lie.

      Now wait a minute Pivot, lets not be so harsh about the erhmmm relevant GOTY awards that GW2 has been awarded , i mean afterall it did beat out FTL and Hotline Miami , soooo ....... LOL most people dont even no what those two games are thats how relevant IGN competiton is amongst others ... even these review sites become like sheep feeling they need to give GW2 cred or they will lose cred ....

    Wait wait it also beat AC3, ME3, CODBLOPS2, D3, XCOM:EU amongst other heavy hitters.

    But it is funny GW2 wins because it was overhyped so the media runs along with it, but then less hyped great games are nominated over much better known titles and people still complain about it

    hmm maybe you didnt look at the IGN compettion or read the thread connected to it .. thats one big complaint , is none of those games were even included .. strange huh

  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Las Cruces, NMPosts: 354Member Uncommon

    Yes.

    60$ for a AAA mmo with quality on par with WoW plus a ton of great game design an innovation.

    Its not perfect by any means, its also not a shallow boring grindfest as some would suggest. To those people I would say either A: its just not the game for them or B: They didnt give it a fair chance or were expecting something else.

    For 60$ you cannot go wrong.

    One thing everyone complained about with Swtor was the responsivness of your character, I personally believe that Gw2 is amoung the very select few to achieve a responsivness that is equal to if not greater then WoW.

    Building your perfect build takes alot of time and is a ton of fun, not to mention building a new build after you get bored of that one on the same character makes (for me) the game super replayable compared to other themeparks.

    I hope you try the game, and I really hope you enjoy it.

    Hit me up in game if you do, *Maelzrael*

    image
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    If you have to question a game that has won multiple Game of the Year awards, RPG of the year awards, MMORPG of the year awards, etc.  than why would you come here for information?  Do you honestly think that you'll get unbias opinions and not a slew of troll posts?

     I can almost consider some of the GW2 fanboys posts to be troll posts, especially ones who think "game of the year" means anything, especially when opinions are subjective and even after some sites posted that it is game of the year they then posted articles critisizing the various flaws with the game.

     

    Or the guy whos said "after 1000 hours played I havent even scratched the surface on what to do in this MMO".... after 1000 hours played I could have every class at 80 in full exotics and rank 10 in PvP with 5 100% map completions and 500g. That post was just a downright lie.

      Now wait a minute Pivot, lets not be so harsh about the erhmmm relevant GOTY awards that GW2 has been awarded , i mean afterall it did beat out FTL and Hotline Miami , soooo ....... LOL most people dont even no what those two games are thats how relevant IGN competiton is amongst others ... even these review sites become like sheep feeling they need to give GW2 cred or they will lose cred ....

    Wait wait it also beat AC3, ME3, CODBLOPS2, D3, XCOM:EU amongst other heavy hitters.

    But it is funny GW2 wins because it was overhyped so the media runs along with it, but then less hyped great games are nominated over much better known titles and people still complain about it

    hmm maybe you didnt look at the IGN compettion or read the thread connected to it .. thats one big complaint , is none of those games were even included .. strange huh

    IGN overall winner was Journey. ME3, Halo 4 and BL2 are there as well.

    And I could give you reason why ME3, AC3, D3 and CODBLOPS2 aren't really good games.

    In Gamespot the Best PC game list included ME3, XCOM and Dishonored.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games aren't as good or bettert than GW2?

    You should re-read what i wrote.

    Firstly, I have 4 random examples of games you could spend alot of time if you were driven. That's it.

    Secondly, I was trying to point out that he may get more mileage for his dollar if he is content with some of the features offered by f2p competitors. Noware in the quote did i say any product was better than another. I said it may not be the best game for HIS dollar, Depending on what hes looking for.



    If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around
    age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp. So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.

    But of course, If TSW is mentioned just once in any abstract reference Gw2 supporters fly of the handle.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

     


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games aren't as good or bettert than GW2?


     

    You should re-read what i wrote.

    Firstly, I have 4 random examples of games you could spend alot of time if you were driven. That's it.

    Secondly, I was trying to point out that he may get more mileage for his dollar if he is content with some of the features offered by f2p competitors. Noware in the quote did i say any product was better than another. I said it may not be the best game for HIS dollar, Depending on what hes looking for.

     


    If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp. So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.

     

    But of course, If TSW is mentioned just once in any abstract reference Gw2 supporters fly of the handle.

    I play GW2 and TSW.

    You won't see me going on the TSW forums talking how good is GW2 and how TSW is the worst game ever with no redeeming features.

    I just pointed why GW2 will give you more milleage even if it costs more - better world, better combat, jumping puzzles, DEs happening, playing around with other player, NPCs patrolling and giving the illusion of a world.

    Now one can say he prefers roll to hit combat, sci-fi/horror instead of fantasy, hate jumping puzzles, underwater contentm don't mind the world being a static cardboax, don't mind imagining the zombies overruning towns instead of seeing them, etc,

    That is valid.

    But for the others it isn't the same thing at all.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    You say any of these games can be a better values than GW2 because they cost even less.
    If they offer features he likes at a lower price than gw2 then yes i could be better to go another game.


    Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games are as good or better than GW2?

    Fun fact: ive never said on the these boards that one game is better than another, Ive always maintained a stance that the superior product is the product that meets the customers criteria.


    I only proceeded to say that while you could around for hours for free, GW2 is a more pleasent place to do that and so worth the price premium.

    lets not backpedal, You singled out tsw from the list and continued to dismantle its features in direct comparison with gw2. if your argument was to put forward how plesant gw2 features are you should of done that.


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    GW2 is a better game than TSW.
    And I like TSW.
    But I log in, group with my GF and kill a mob. Pop-out "want, need, pass".
    I jump and feel like a bat.
    Why do I need to accept a mission to kill 6 zombies instead of just killing them?
    Why do I need to keep spamming my builder?
    Why does the combat feel clunky while GW2 combat feel so fluid?
    Why does the entire world feel lifeless, with all the NPCs just standing and the mobs just being around?
    Why does jumping make me feel like I'm a bat or something?

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

     


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    You say any of these games can be a better values than GW2 because they cost even less.

    If they offer features he likes at a lower price than gw2 then yes i could be better to go another game.

     

     


    Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games are as good or better than GW2?
    Fun fact: ive never said on the these boards that one game is better than another, Ive always maintained a stance that the superior product is the product that meets the customers criteria.

     

     


    I only proceeded to say that while you could around for hours for free, GW2 is a more pleasent place to do that and so worth the price premium.

     

    lets not backpedal, You singled out tsw from the list and continued to dismantle its features in direct comparison with gw2. if your argument was to put forward how plesant gw2 features are you should of done that.

     


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    GW2 is a better game than TSW.
    And I like TSW.
    But I log in, group with my GF and kill a mob. Pop-out "want, need, pass".
    I jump and feel like a bat.
    Why do I need to accept a mission to kill 6 zombies instead of just killing them?
    Why do I need to keep spamming my builder?
    Why does the combat feel clunky while GW2 combat feel so fluid?
    Why does the entire world feel lifeless, with all the NPCs just standing and the mobs just being around?
    Why does jumping make me feel like I'm a bat or something?

     

    I singled some of the aspects why I find GW2 a better game then TSW.

    I can single some aspects why I like TSW: atmosphere, investigation missions, story,

    I can also name some features TSW does better than most MMORPGs but not up to the levels of GW2: more dynamic combat, deck building customization with restricted number of skills, active dodge.

    I choose TSW because it was the only game of the list I played - I don't go around buying games I know I won't like.

    Unlike many others I can say why I dislike or like games without using meaningless jargon like shallow/depth/overhyped, etc.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter You say any of these games can be a better values than GW2 because they cost even less. If they offer features he likes at a lower price than gw2 then yes i could be better to go another game.     Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games are as good or better than GW2? Fun fact: ive never said on the these boards that one game is better than another, Ive always maintained a stance that the superior product is the product that meets the customers criteria.     I only proceeded to say that while you could around for hours for free, GW2 is a more pleasent place to do that and so worth the price premium.
      lets not backpedal, You singled out tsw from the list and continued to dismantle its features in direct comparison with gw2. if your argument was to put forward how plesant gw2 features are you should of done that.   Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter GW2 is a better game than TSW. And I like TSW. But I log in, group with my GF and kill a mob. Pop-out "want, need, pass". I jump and feel like a bat. Why do I need to accept a mission to kill 6 zombies instead of just killing them? Why do I need to keep spamming my builder? Why does the combat feel clunky while GW2 combat feel so fluid? Why does the entire world feel lifeless, with all the NPCs just standing and the mobs just being around? Why does jumping make me feel like I'm a bat or something?
     
    I singled some of the aspects why I find GW2 a better game then TSW.

    I can single some aspects why I like TSW: atmosphere, investigation missions, story,

    I can also name some features TSW does better than most MMORPGs but not up to the levels of GW2: more dynamic combat, deck building customization with restricted number of skills, active dodge.

    I choose TSW because it was the only game of the list I played - I don't go around buying games I know I won't like.


    Tsw's specific feature list is a non argument and wasn't relevant at any time.

    I'm done. This is detracting and derailing the thread.


    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

     


    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

    Originally posted by Nitth  

    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter You say any of these games can be a better values than GW2 because they cost even less. If they offer features he likes at a lower price than gw2 then yes i could be better to go another game.    

    Aren't you saying with that statement that TSW and the other games are as good or better than GW2? Fun fact: ive never said on the these boards that one game is better than another, Ive always maintained a stance that the superior product is the product that meets the customers criteria.     I only proceeded to say that while you could around for hours for free, GW2 is a more pleasent place to do that and so worth the price premium.
      lets not backpedal, You singled out tsw from the list and continued to dismantle its features in direct comparison with gw2. if your argument was to put forward how plesant gw2 features are you should of done that.   Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter GW2 is a better game than TSW. And I like TSW. But I log in, group with my GF and kill a mob. Pop-out "want, need, pass". I jump and feel like a bat. Why do I need to accept a mission to kill 6 zombies instead of just killing them? Why do I need to keep spamming my builder? Why does the combat feel clunky while GW2 combat feel so fluid? Why does the entire world feel lifeless, with all the NPCs just standing and the mobs just being around? Why does jumping make me feel like I'm a bat or something?
     
    I singled some of the aspects why I find GW2 a better game then TSW.

     

    I can single some aspects why I like TSW: atmosphere, investigation missions, story,

    I can also name some features TSW does better than most MMORPGs but not up to the levels of GW2: more dynamic combat, deck building customization with restricted number of skills, active dodge.

    I choose TSW because it was the only game of the list I played - I don't go around buying games I know I won't like.


     

    Tsw's specific feature list is a non argument and wasn't relevant at any time.

    I'm done. This is detracting and derailing the thread.

     

     

    None of the other games offer the full features of GW2 either, so most said about TSW would apply to the others.

    Add some more level grind, no downleveling, no xp gains for lower level mobs, no level appropriate rewards, etc.

    There is a reason almost no one just go running around in those games open world.

    Could GW2 open world be even more compeling?

    Sure, higher quantity and bigger more intricate and challenging DEs would help it.

     

    And I don't see how talking abou GW2 features and comparing it to other offers is derailling the thread.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member
    Originally posted by Nitth


    I'm sure there are a lot of people that have genuine fun in the game, But in context of he question "is gw2 worth it for the money" you cant argue that there would not be cheaper alternatives to do say; Whats above, or casual pvp / pve.

     

     

    Tsw offers 100% if its content for free now and thats actually chearp than gw2. However, The op is not content with that game. So.. we should probably find out what the OP is seeking in a game.

    1. Actually yes I can argue that there are no cheaper alternatives by the QUALITY of those alternatives. Heck, if quality didnt factor in why would anyone go with TSW which costs $30 when they can go download all of Runes of Magic and get 5 YEARS worth of updates for FREE!

    2. No, TSW offers 100% of the content out RIGHT NOW...every single update after that will cost money and Funcom has shown for the last 2 YEARS that they will charge far MORE for that updated content than, say...Turbine that not only makes far better games, but also releases far more content...and then top that off with the fact that LoTRo is free.

    3. Now compare the updates of TSW, which came out BEFORE GW2...GW2s updates are larger and has brought more to the game...and it will REMAIN free, while TSWs will now cost MONEY!

    “I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

  • jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member

    If you are part of a community before you join GW2 and form a guild with them, yes it is worth getting into.

    If not, you'll probably have some issues in the 20-70 range (max is lvl 80) as it is fairly empty.

    ANet is aware though; ''we'll have to figure something out'.

    Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

  • loulakiloulaki PatrasPosts: 918Member
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    No game will offer this much for the money you will pay.

    just stay on this .

     

    what the others say is coming from their dissapointed cause their sandbox they love is not such polished and well executed like GW2, it might not be the best MMO but its a good example of how you make a good MMO 

    image

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Depends what you like.

    If you JUST like pvp, planetside is the better game.

    If you JUST like dungeons tsw or rift are the better games

    If you want a sandbox, eve is the better game

    If you want an all round good themepark at both pve and pvp, and more of an open world feel like older themeparks like daoc, EQ & coh then gw2 is probably the best choice.
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Ortario, OHPosts: 154Member

    i just got it a few days ago and im about to login and create my character as we speak since the patching is finished yay :D

     

     

    There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

    http://alzplz.blogspot.com

Sign In or Register to comment.