Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can another company make a Star Wars mmorpg?

13»

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Its going to be all about the numbers.

If the next Star Wars movies are a huge success and generate alot of new fans of the IP then you might see another SW MMO.

There have already been two. The first is shut down, the second is on a steady decline. I doubt its even on the list of things to do at this point.

What I expect to see is console games tied in with the new movie. If those are a raging success then maybe an MMO is considered.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I got an idea. How about developers make their own sci-fi space opera from scratch. Why didn't I think of this before, it's a brilliant idea!
  • ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I guess disney could issue another license, is that going to happen. I don't think so as it would need to be something already not covered. 

I think were stuck with swtor, until disney decidees to shut the license down, or when the license runs out.  Does anybody know how long the license for swtor is anyways?

If I were to venture a guess, there are performance stipulations on the IP agreement. It wouldn't be a case of 'you pay us $x-amount and do whatever you want'.

Walt Lucas/BioWare/EA all know where the buck stops.

Yep, in Mickey's pocket.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Onomas

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by Gardavsshade Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?   If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion.... I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible... As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out. Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids. (SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)  
    What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term? Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.  
    SWG sold over a million copies.

If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.

Why would SWG do better now than it did then? It sold fewer copies and peaked with fewer players than EQ, and did not have that many more players than Ultima Online, both of which were far older games than SWG. Changing the release date isn't going to turn a mediocre performer into a mega-hit.

SWG was not successful compared to games that released before it, after it and especially not compared to other games based on the Star Wars IP. The last one is the most important one. Star Wars games that aren't MMOs generate so much more revenue than the MMOs, it doesn't make sense that Disney should spend money on the MMOs.

If Disney is thinking about writing a video game based on the Star Wars IP, it is probably not going to be an MMO.

** edit **
    SWG isn't coming back. Get over it already.

** edit edit **
    The difference between selling 900k and 1,100k copies doesn't mean much.

Well, there is a reason you've heard this quote before "It was a head of its time".

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

Could SOE reopen SWG?

SOE has proven time and time again that they can't run MMO's and don't have a clue how to create one.....SW would not be in good hands with Smed&company again.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Onomas Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Gardavsshade Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?   If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion.... I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible... As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out. Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids. (SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)  
    What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term? Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.  
    SWG sold over a million copies.   If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.
    Why would SWG do better now than it did then? It sold fewer copies and peaked with fewer players than EQ, and did not have that many more players than Ultima Online, both of which were far older games than SWG. Changing the release date isn't going to turn a mediocre performer into a mega-hit. SWG was not successful compared to games that released before it, after it and especially not compared to other games based on the Star Wars IP. The last one is the most important one. Star Wars games that aren't MMOs generate so much more revenue than the MMOs, it doesn't make sense that Disney should spend money on the MMOs. If Disney is thinking about writing a video game based on the Star Wars IP, it is probably not going to be an MMO. ** edit ** SWG isn't coming back. Get over it already. ** edit edit ** The difference between selling 900k and 1,100k copies doesn't mean much.  
    Well, there is a reason you've heard this quote before "It was a head of its time".

I've heard the quote, but I don't see how it applies to SWG. I've seen the game. It was a somewhat random mix of three different ideas, none of which were fully realized and none of which really worked well.

It did attract a very loyal audience, just not a very big one.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.