Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldest mmo that you know of?

i was on MMOhut and found this posted about UO.

Ultima Online, or UO for short, was one of the first MMORPGs on the market, as it was released on September 25, 1997. The game is without a doubt the longest running MMORPG and the...

I know its one of the oldest..but i remember playing one at and around that time called The Realm......was my first mmo..and i still have fond memories of the game....so i looked it up and found ....

Norseman Games | Official Site

MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final (rel 12/31/96) | Pub:Norseman Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
Desktop Client | System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

so..im not 100% sure on either of the games ral release dates....how about you folks..any games older than these two?

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    I honestly think this is a really tough question. The way I see it, the massive portion of MMO has to be taken into context. So back in the mid 90's, what was massive then is pretty tiny now. I know some people will argue Merdian and Neverwinter though. 
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_59

Taken from the introductory paragraph:

"Meridian 59, abbreviated M59, is an online role-playing video game first published by the now defunct 3DO Company. First launched online in an early form on December 15, 1995 and released commercially on September 27, 1996 with a flat-rate monthly subscription, Meridian 59 is often credited as the first 3D graphical "massively multiplayer online game" or MMO. Meridian 59 is currently available free of charge and is being run by original developers Andrew Kirmse and Chris Kirmse."

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by madazz
    I honestly think this is a really tough question. The way I see it, the massive portion of MMO has to be taken into context. So back in the mid 90's, what was massive then is pretty tiny now. I know some people will argue Merdian and Neverwinter though. 

You have a point.  The oldest I remember personally is UO, but I'm sure there were others that would have fit the bill for their time.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Meridian 59 launched around 96 iirc, and if you mean AOLs Neverwinter Nights, that was 91, but im not sure it actually was an MMO, it was a multiplayer (50 player limit per server at launch) online RPG, but did it qualify as massively multiplayer?

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I think many of us have sorted the MMORPG list by release date; and clicked on The Realm. Old school. Reminds me of the 5 minutes I spent trying a MuD back in the day. Logged in, moved my character (I think it was a + or $) and attacked another + or $. Got promtply pwned. Never logged on again.

As much as I loved Telengard, I couldn't get into MuDs.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Meridian 59 launched around 96 iirc, and if you mean AOLs Neverwinter Nights, that was 91, but im not sure it actually was an MMO, it was a multiplayer (50 player limit per server at launch) online RPG, but did it qualify as massively multiplayer?

I really can't say. I don't know much about the game. Did it have what was at the time classified as a massive amount of people online in one game at the same time? If so, maybe... but again as I didn't play it I don't feel comfortable really making a statement like that.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Meridian 59 is often credited as the first 3D graphical "massively multiplayer online game"

You're referring to oldest 3D MMO. There were MMOs back in the telnet days (before '93). One that comes to mind is Quo Vadis (mentioned a lot as 1st MMO out there) and was ASCII based. Much like the old BBSs had their 'online' games, but Qua Vadis allowed on-line interaction with other players. Never played it myself, but I was looking for it back then...

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Even before Meridian 59 and the Realm there was NeverWinter Nights Online, it was made in 1991 for America Online and was the FIRST MMORPG with Graphics. Everything before that one was TEXT based MMO.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

World of Warcraft.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Meridian 59 is often credited as the first 3D graphical "massively multiplayer online game"

You're referring to oldest 3D MMO.

No shit?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Le_NickLe_Nick Member Posts: 6
    Meridian 59

Youtuber & Gamer!
    Come and check me out:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TwoGamingDogs

• bborwoeorksbborwoeorks Member Posts: 24

Gemstone III was around a few years before UO and ran on AOL but if you check out the wiki their original version was around almost a decade before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GemStone_IV

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I am not sure which is the oldest MMO for PCs. I know my first MMO was Everquest at launch, but I know that there were others that had been released beforehand. I think the first MMOG (minimaly multiplayer offline game) was Chainmail which was released in 1971. ;)
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Island of Kemai
  • TraaseTraase Member Posts: 2
    nox
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Neverwinter had one server, and it had a cap of 500 people...

I hated trying to log on and getting "The gates of Neverwinter are closed".