Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can another company make a Star Wars mmorpg?

Comments

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?

Ha ha, that would be the logical way to approach ones own obviously damaged IP, but it doesn't appear Lucas approaches it that way. With them it seems to be advance advance advance, never retreat, collect yourself, and strategize. Maybe under Walt things will be different (although if the announcements about a trilogy followed by a movie every two years on out says anything, it's that they're preparing to milk this mofo).

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I would think it would prove more difficult to make a bad star wars game than a good one, everything is right there in front of the devs to copy and paste. The problem with SWTOR is it didnt copy star wars, it copied wow and whos idea this was earned the fail of the decade award and probably helped ea win worst company of the year award as well. Smart people in charge of smart things...
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    If i am not mistaken there is a contract clause stating there can only be one SW IP MMO on the market. this is why SWG got shut down. So no unless SWTOR goes under there can only be one.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Rayshe
    If i am not mistaken there is a contract clause stating there can only be one SW IP MMO on the market. this is why SWG got shut down. So no unless SWTOR goes under there can only be one.

Nobody knows what clause may or may not be in the contract, but it would certainly stand to reason they don't want to compete with themselves.

/tinfoilhatactivate

As I said previously, it would also stand to reason there are performance expectations on SWTOR in order to maintain said license... perhaps there's a reason SWTOR's announcements and focus in the last little while have been extremely desperate. There IS a bottom line. BioWarEA do not have the right to drag their feet and just sit on the IP and watch the numbers dwindle. They are contractually obligated to deliver a profit to Walt Lucas no matter what the upfront license fee may be. My guess is they are actually at risk of losing the license.

SWTOR F2P IS SWTOR's NGE

/tinfoilhatdeactivate 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?
    Ha ha, that would be the logical way to approach ones own obviously damaged IP, but it doesn't appear Lucas approaches it that way. With them it seems to be advance advance advance, never retreat, collect yourself, and strategize. Maybe under Walt things will be different (although if the announcements about a trilogy followed by a movie every two years on out says anything, it's that they're preparing to milk this mofo).

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself.

The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself.

The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.

All I can say is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyj7hLGh5UE&playnext=1&list=PL2140817F06D3E393

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I started off by asking John about the reason behind the cancellation and whether or not it was a matter of LucasArts choosing not to renew the contract with SOE.

John Smedley:
    The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

They could have kept both games running but SOE and LA decided not to. You already have 2 SW mmo's out now even after SWG shut down........... clone wars and TOR. Clone wars i do believe is another SOE/LA game ;) So having 1 SW game in the contract is not accurate.

Originally posted by Onomas

I started off by asking John about the reason behind the cancellation and whether or not it was a matter of LucasArts choosing not to renew the contract with SOE.

John Smedley:
    The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

They could have kept both games running but SOE and LA decided not to. You already have 2 SW mmo's out now even after SWG shut down........... clone wars and TOR. Clone wars i do believe is another SOE/LA game ;) So having 1 SW game in the contract is not accurate.

1) Have you played SW Clone Wars? It's not an MMO. It's a game lobby.

2) That Smed quote is his way of saying 'I broke up with her first!'. Nothing that guy says can be believed.

I honestly mean that with all due respect to your post.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?
    Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself. The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.  
    All I can say is...

I'm not even sure I can watch that at work. Care to paraphrase?

Their non-MMO products seem to do fine. It's one of the few video game franchises based on an existing IP to sell more than twenty million copies of something. The Star Wars franchise totals 38 million game units sold, with the Star Wars themed Lego game franchise selling twenty million game units by itself. The best selling games have a purely video game IP and aren't based off a literary or movie IP. The one exception is Tom Clancy's stuff. The issue with the MMOs being mediocre isn't with the IP.  
    All I can say is...

Kinnect Star Wars Dance.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam While I'd love to see another game, I wonder if Lucas isn't gunshy about trying another MMO at this point.  Do they feel the failed attempts are damaging the brand more than any potential revenue would offset?
    All I can say is...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyj7hLGh5UE&playnext=1&list=PL2140817F06D3E393
    Kinnect Star Wars Dance.

Heh. It probably outsold both MMOs.

The IP does sell games though. It sells books, movies, comics and toys as well. There's nothing wrong with the IP. If there was, Disney wouldn't have spent all that money buying the IP and the franchises that go with it.

They are definitely talking about making some more games. I would be really doubtful about them talking about writing another MMO...or a Dance game. Even if they are a lot of fun.

John Smedley:

1) Have you played SW Clone Wars? It's not an MMO. It's a game lobby.

2) That Smed quote is his way of saying 'I broke up with her first!'. Nothing that guy says can be believed.

I honestly mean that with all due respect to your post.

Clone wars is an mmo ;) Virtual world, mass amounts of players, crafting, housing, quests, player progession, etc......

Trust me, its hard for me to swallow saying that. As a sandbox junkie, but by all means it is a mmo perhaps not your average mmorpg, but still a massively multiplayer online game.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?

If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion....

I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Asking LA or Disney to make good adult thememd mmo with an IP like Star Wars is quite franly an automatic fail. Their whole focus is Kids. Has been for years. Much of what could be possible content in aa adult centered and mature Star Wars MMO setting would simple be kept out, written out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids now.

(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion....I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out.Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids.(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term?

Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?

I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible...

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids.

(SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)

What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term?

Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.

An IP like Star Wars can be milked for more profits than what is generated from products targetted for children. So much more. That is the opportunity the Suits don't get.

If your eyes are open enough to criticise me, then they are open enough to see what I am talking about.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I guess disney could issue another license, is that going to happen. I don't think so as it would need to be something already not covered. 

I think were stuck with swtor, until disney decidees to shut the license down, or when the license runs out.  Does anybody know how long the license for swtor is anyways?

Probably not long.

If EA are smart, my guess is they took a short term licence, considering the cost of the game, then planned to renew a longer one with the profits. Also I doubt they would have done F2P this soon, if they had a long licence, plus string out the content. If they had a long term kcence, I would imagine they would be getting the devs to do more than they have been doing (which is just reannouncing / repackaging content already announced)

As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out.

Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids.

SWG sold over a million copies.

If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I think MMOs are no longer really profitable esp since subs are going out of style like bell bottoms . So companies looking at cost to make one will not be so eager anymore to invest the huge amount of money and then the grief that comes after to maintain them. They would rarther make single player games or console games. I doubt Disney will market MMOS for the PC maybe an fps or some other lobby game for Xbox or PS but not a full fledged MMO.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Elite+EVE+SW IP+freedom=Success.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade Thebigthrill...... do you mean "Can another company make an Adult In-depth old school quality Star Wars MMO"?   If that is what you are really asking then here is my answer, my opinion.... I believe the answer will always be NO as long as LA (or Disney now) has any connection to the IP. I see little difference in George Lucas and Lucas Arts then vs. Disney now. Both target their core products at children, not Adults. Both consider Clane War Adventures a win, and I .... well.... don't. It's a blasted cartoon. Just like.... nope, I won't say it here.... too much rotten fruit too easily accessible... As long as companies like Lucas Arts, and Disney, own the Star Wars IP, companies who specialize in selling products to children, as long as they hold the IP there will be no Adult centered MMO like some of us crave. Much of what could be possible content in a Star Wars MMO setting will simple be kept out, censored out, or edited out. Look to other Science Fiction IPs if you seek an Adult quality and content MMO experience. The Force is for kids. (SOE and SWG proved Star Wars could be a great IP framework for Adults in a MMO, but most of the Suits just didn't "get it". Our opportunity is gone with this IP.)  
    What's to get? They sell many millions of copies of games targeted at kids. They sell less than a million copies of a game targeted at adults. Which one of these do you think they're going to pursue long term? Just because a product is great for the people who buy doesn't mean the product is any good for the company that's producing it.  
    SWG sold over a million copies.

If SWG was released today, it would have done great. NGE which many claimed to have killed SWG is no worse than any of the themepark games released today. I think it would have blended in nicely lol.

Why would SWG do better now than it did then? It sold fewer copies and peaked with fewer players than EQ, and did not have that many more players than Ultima Online, both of which were far older games than SWG. Changing the release date isn't going to turn a mediocre performer into a mega-hit.

SWG was not successful compared to games that released before it, after it and especially not compared to other games based on the Star Wars IP. The last one is the most important one. Star Wars games that aren't MMOs generate so much more revenue than the MMOs, it doesn't make sense that Disney should spend money on the MMOs.

If Disney is thinking about writing a video game based on the Star Wars IP, it is probably not going to be an MMO.

** edit **
    SWG isn't coming back. Get over it already.

** edit edit **
    The difference between selling 900k and 1,100k copies doesn't mean much.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I know EA/Bioware have the Star Wars license.

Is it possible for another company to aproach Disney and pitch another Star Wars mmorpg?

Could SOE reopen SWG?

Or are we stuck with SWTOR until the license expires? and what happens when SWTOR shuts down before the license expires?

Are Star Wars fans pretty much screwed and were stuck with SWTOR for the next 10 years? Please say it aint so.

I just hope things stay as they are, I'm very very happy with.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Well SWTOR should dispell the myth that Lucas Arts had any involvement in SWG or SWTOR other than accepting $ for the license. Because if LA spent any time at all evaluating SWTOR, they would have learned how short-sighted a game it was; just like everyone else has.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I know EA/Bioware have the Star Wars license.

Is it possible for another company to aproach Disney and pitch another Star Wars mmorpg?

Could SOE reopen SWG?

Or are we stuck with SWTOR until the license expires? and what happens when SWTOR shuts down before the license expires?

Are Star Wars fans pretty much screwed and were stuck with SWTOR for the next 10 years? Please say it aint so.

https://www.clonewarsadventures.com

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Arclan

Well SWTOR should dispell the myth that Lucas Arts had any involvement in SWG or SWTOR other than accepting $ for the license. Because if LA spent any time at all evaluating SWTOR, they would have learned how short-sighted a game it was; just like everyone else has.

Lucasarts were and are about making money, not about making the best product they possibly can. The original Star Wars trilogy is something Lucas has never been able to replicate but from it he turned into a very very shrewd businessman. SWG was a blip on the radar for him and the company out of hundreds of others, it was a very good cenceptual game but made little profit. TOR was the next investment, nothing more.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I think if anyone were to "Redo" Star wars there is a few things that have to be done first.

1) Find out what players want in a game, does it need to be a sandbox, themepark or something inbetween.

2) Know where the games that came before went wrong and DO NOT DO THE SAME THING .. Or be close to the same thing.

3) make sure the world breathes and feels like a world in Star Wars ... not a static place (SWTOR ... have youy heard of night and day?)

4) I have been asking for this a long time .... Customizable ships ... Not just add ons but ones that change the look and style of your ship. Hell even a paint job works.

These are just some of what a future developer needs to look at and plan before even starting to work on development. If they can not make it feel like Star Wars ... Slapping the logo on it will not make it one.