Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever seen a game with this much controversy surrounding it?

I have been trying to think if I have ever seen a game that has has so much controversy and uproar about it as long as I have been playing videogames. From the day it was revealed it was instantly branded as a stolen concept from DayZ.  Then they were catching a lot of crap for their lack of any information or real gameplay footage less than a month before their Alpha test.  Then there were the early on refunds which were a huge deal, the pay-for-clan debacle and now this revive thing and especially the false advertising on steam.  I really don't remember a game that has had so much negativity around it.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Mortal Online and Dark and Light are the only two that come to mind.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

ToR

GW2

Tera

AoC

SWG going NGE

all sorts of drama in gaming..just gotta look.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Not recently. I've never heard of a game getting pulled from Steam before. You need to be some kind of special to get yanked from Steam.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NoobalurtNoobalurt Member UncommonPosts: 14

Nope these guys take the cake.  Sergey Titov is the new king of B.S.!  Move over Erling Ellingsen, Paul Barnett, & Peter Molyneux!

AoC, and FFXIV are the only titles that come to mind that come close to The WarZ, but then again as bad as those titles were.  They still were real games.  The WarZ is all hot air in a paper bag, and the guy trying to sell it to you swears to you its a balloon.  

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

I'd say SWG.  The NGE howling went on vehemently for years and is still simmering, even after the game has closed down.  I expect this game to close up shop soon and we'll never hear nor think about it again.

• daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95

Hellgate London comes to mind.....urban dictionary even has numerous references to the term "You just got flagshipped".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flagshipped&defid=2757484

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

yea have never seen a game developer make so many mistakes in a row. They should have waited to release on steam and made sure that the info was up to date. At one point someone in the company should have said stfu  Sergey Titov , probably after he called people faggots…

At this point I already feel like I got my moneys worth from the game ( it really didn’t cost very much ) so I don’t care what happens next but I do feel like all of this could have been avoided and that the game did have some potential.

I also think that a small percent of the backlash is from some extreme dayz fanboyism.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Only one I can think of is that flight simulator, where they took a free ware flight sim and a whole bunch of community made mods, then packaged it up in a box and passed it off as their own work.
  • GrimFaustGrimFaust Member Posts: 11

Controversy is quite subjective. Most games have problems or things they take flak for. Right now, it's The War Z's turn and it's starting to look like they knocked this one out of the park.

I've personally played MMO's since about '97 ( Ultima Online was my start ) and I don't think I've ever seen a game go so wrong in so many aspects. And my own experience with the companies support was exceedingly terrible. They literally told me they couldn't verify why I was banned and that they couldn't find out so my account would stay banned.

Really?

Just awful.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Lizardbones and Grimfaust thank you two for two of the funniest comments Ive read all day.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    They brought it upon themselves. The Steam thing could have been less damaging if they didn't have people like Sergey speaking for them. It was a blatant attempted (and quite succesful depending on Steam refunds) cash grab but Sergey & their community team brought it into the world news spotlight with their LOL attitude and total disregard for the customers, not just gaming websites such as this one but national news websites. The whole thing comes across as "we dont care, we gotz ur moneyz!".
  • NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Have you ever seen a game with this much controversy surrounding it?

Darkfall

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    D3 launch was pretty tame...
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Once there was this little gem called dark and light...
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    There was a game being developed even before dark and light where they essentially sent out burned cd's (or dvd's) with the game on it to those who purchased it and it never really ran correctly.  I don't remember the name of it at all, but I do remember that there was a nearly 1k page thread around here talking about it that went on for years.
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by dollada06

I have been trying to think if I have ever seen a game that has has so much controversy and uproar about it as long as I have been playing videogames. From the day it was revealed it was instantly branded as a stolen concept from DayZ.  Then they were catching a lot of crap for their lack of any information or real gameplay footage less than a month before their Alpha test.  Then there were the early on refunds which were a huge deal, the pay-for-clan debacle and now this revive thing and especially the false advertising on steam.  I really don't remember a game that has had so much negativity around it.

Anyone else?

There have only been three. Dark and Light, Mortal Online, and Hellgate London. 

Yes, there has been some controversy surrounding a lot of MMO's but none of it like the OP mentioned. War Z is in a special class when it comes to controversy. 

Copyright infringement 

False Advertising

Utter disrespect and disdain for their players/customers

Attempting to control and manipulate reviews, ratings, and posts from players on not only their own sites but 3rd party sites as well. 

Threatening those asking for refunds with a global blacklisting making it difficult for them to make purchases for other companies. 

The list could go on especially taking into the count the overall quality of the game and what they are actually offering for the price associated with it. 

No, War Z makes a very special, very short list so you can ignore those trying to claim it's nothing more than what all MMO's and their developers go through. 

• AyliarAyliar Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Just about every game mentioned on this site at some point in time?
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    They brought it upon themselves.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Controversial it may be, but no more than many other games.

However, i can't recall a game being released to such universal panning from players and reviewers alike.

WarZ is probably a contender for the worst game of the last 10 years.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by dais

Hellgate London comes to mind.....urban dictionary even has numerous references to the term "You just got flagshipped".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flagshipped&defid=2757484

I don't think anything could ever top HG:L. I still rip on my friends who bought the lifetime sub any chance I get.

The reason I feel no pity for the people who buy The War Z is that there a plenty of videos out there, whereas when HG:L came out there wasn't much known about the game other than OMG MADE BY THE DIABLO PEOPLE BUY BUY BUY $$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

Oh, yeah. One game that comes to mind is Spore. They completely gutted the game and removed all these cool aspects just so they could appeal more to the "casual" crowd. You could go watch preview demos feature Will Wright and see that it was pretty much a different game.

However, back then the gaming community was thinly spread out across the internet and social media wasn't like it is now. Yeah, that was four years ago but think how much has changed.. 

People were outraged then, I could only imagine what people would do if it was released yesterday! image

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

the accusation of Darkfall being vaporware.

the accusations of mismanagement at MO.

the switch from SWGpreNGE to SWG:NGE.

but honestly, none of those made the headlines of the BBC. which accolade now belongs to WarZ.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Zinzan

However, i can't recall a game being released to such universal panning from players and reviewers alike.

No More than any other Games?

I don't recall any games being pulled from STEAM.

That is as bad as it gets. I don't see a game recovering from this much flack.

Too bad too. I realy wanted it to work.

I hope they get it together.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by chelan

the accusation of Darkfall being vaporware.

the accusations of mismanagement at MO.

the switch from SWGpreNGE to SWG:NGE.

but honestly, none of those made the headlines of the BBC. which accolade now belongs to WarZ.

Originally posted by Giddian

Originally posted by Zinzan

No More than any other Games?

I don't recall any games being pulled from STEAM.

That is as bad as it gets. I don't see a game recovering from this much flack.

Too bad too. I realy wanted it to work.

I hope they get it together.

good point about Steam pulling the game.

in addition consider as well Steam's longstanding reputation for being hardasses about refunds.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse