Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No chat bubbles again ?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Elandir90

For me chat  bubbles would inproove greatly the experience. Its impossible to know when someone is talking AT your out in the world, the chat box scrolls down pretty quick in the city. No way you would see it unless it is a personal message.

I do like to go around talking and interacting with people. If you don't, turn the chat bubbles off.

I ask for an OPTION.  Is that so hard to understand ? would it harm your gameplay if you KNEW but not SEEN that people were using chat bubbles ? 

Yes it is my opinion but you should understand at least on this subject I represent the very large majority of Darkfall players as well as the company itself. Most of the Darkfall players and I think AV itself really dosent want the game turned into a massive chat engine with people just running around socializing all the time, its a different kind of game in that respect.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

It sounds silly, but for me chat bubbles is one of the most important features regarding players interaction. 

Without it i feel muted. It hinders player interaction and takes away the cities life. When you are out in the world its even worse, people don't usually mind the chat box at all. It evens make  swearing or boasting pointless after you kill an enemy. DF1 didn't have it, DF UW should have !!!! 

Played DF1 for some good months and rarelly talked to anyone besides guildmates or alliance members. But even inside those  "friendly grounds" communications was difficult. 

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, i hope they implement it this time. 

Chatbubbles? =)

Teamspeak is what skilled guilds use. 

Originally posted by mistmaker
    there should be an ingame voice program in every game OR chat bubbles. i would prefer ingame voice, must be funny to hear the people :-)

I dont agree.

I mean unless some 3rd party vendor such as vent creates a simple plug and play that can easily be put into the game I dont see any reason why every game developer out there should re-create what can be downloaded in about 5 mins. A good voice engine would take a LOT of resources to build

• Justin9820Justin9820 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

For me chat  bubbles would inproove greatly the experience. Its impossible to know when someone is talking AT your out in the world, the chat box scrolls down pretty quick in the city. No way you would see it unless it is a personal message.

I do like to go around talking and interacting with people. If you don't, turn the chat bubbles off.

I ask for an OPTION.  Is that so hard to understand ? would it harm your gameplay if you KNEW but not SEEN that people were using chat bubbles ? 

Yes it is my opinion but you should understand at least on this subject I represent the very large majority of Darkfall players as well as the company itself. Most of the Darkfall players and I think AV itself really dosent want the game turned into a massive chat engine with people just running around socializing all the time, its a different kind of game in that respect.

That actually brings up a decent point. Many games end up being chat rooms with dungeon queues and raiding. Darkfall is an open world designed for pvp.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Does Darkfall has voice chat support ?!  I don't think so.

Your point is true in a guild perspective. But for the hole game, its not great.

About DF being pvp and chat bubbles. No problem at all, no need to talk in "/say" during a  raid or siege. If you do and the chat bubble pops for the enemy, your fault. 

IMO the lack of chat bubbles is not good for any mmo.  It could be turned on and off like on the other games.

I don't know if DF supports voice chat, but regardless if the game supports it or not there are plenty of programs for voice chat.

Chat bubbles, only if they are optional as you also state, so for those who want it its visible, for those who don't want to see it just uncheck the feature.

I do not feel that the missing of chat bubbles is not good for a MMORPG, I feel there are allot more meaningfull feature's that are missing from today's combat online games. But that's food for another topic.

Actually the only MMORPG I have seen chat bubbles in was SWG, perhaps other MMO's I have played might have had them but then as a turn on feature and not automaticly turned on when entering the game. Kinda makes me wonder how many MMORPG actually have chat bubble's?

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

LOL

You are the voice of the people and the mind of the makers. Sorry, i leave my humble desire and pledge, if you said it ! So be it !!! 

Gotta love your type of  "darkfall player"  ! such nice and thoutghful fellas. 

No point going on with this.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

There is no reason not to have chat bubbles if they were toggleable.  I turn off all the chat and am in vent.  They only way I will know people are trying to talk to me is with a PM.  There should be chat bubbles so I know who is talking.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    As long as they are off by default and don't indicate a persons location then i also dont see a problem, but i also dont see why theyre such a big deal.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I am a huge fame of community building and social play, but I just have never got the need for chat bubbles....

I don't understand this particular drama :/

No drama here.

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, one that you can use or not. Stating that you are a socializer and dont like chat bubbles does not make it worthless.

When having more options became a bad thing ?  specially when it is an optional thing. 

1. I didn't say it was worthless.

2. I didnt say it was a bad thing.

I simply said I do not understand the need for them.

Options are always good, sure, but I have heard this same conversation over many games and just don't get the campaigning for them on any level.

But, hey... sure... whatever gets you through the day.

LOL

You are the voice of the people and the mind of the makers. Sorry, i leave my humble desire and pledge, if you said it ! So be it !!! 

Gotta love your type of  "darkfall player"  ! such nice and thoutghful fellas. 

No point going on with this.

actually, on this subject yes I am.

If you knew the community you would know that the vast majority of them wouldnt like the use of chat bubble and I believe the developers themselves has even stated that they dont like them.

Regardless of if the developers like them or not it doesnt make a lot of sense to spend to much money on a feature the vast majority of your players arent intrested in.

Originally posted by Kabaal
    As long as they are off by default and don't indicate a persons location then i also dont see a problem, but i also dont see why theyre such a big deal.

This is why: (Pretty neat eh?!)

Originally posted by Badaboom

I think at its core this is a good visual of exactly what AV wanted to change about an MMO. Not just the fact of all the chat but the fact that everyone is sitting down not doing anything in game other than chatting

I think at its core this is a good visual of exactly what AV wanted to change about an MMO. Not just the fact of all the chat but the fact that everyone is sitting down not doing anything in game other than chatting

Invalid argument.  Some people are sitting around doing nothing.  Other people are trading, finding groups. 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

/snip pic

Not really, i liked them in games like City of Heroes where they suited the type but didn't like them in SWG, Aion etc where they can either look silly or get quite intrusive. I'm not against them but its a topic that's came up time and time again with MMO's that i just dont understand why people can get so passionate about them.

As i said i'm not against them, if it doesn't affect PvP and it's off by default then i dont mind.

Invalid argument.  Some people are sitting around doing nothing.  Other people are trading, finding groups. 

and talking is also 'doing something'

venture to suggest you knew what I am really saying?

• Justin9820Justin9820 Member Posts: 49
    Its funny, OP gave up on this after being completely ignorant to the other side of the argument. Why make a thread if you dont want to hear the answer you dont want to?

Your English is not the best so no, I don't always understand what you're trying to say.

Name one valid arguement for not putting in toggleable chat bubbles.  If you don't want them, uncheck them and BOOM, normal Darkfall.

Your English is not the best so no, I don't always understand what you're trying to say.

Name one valid arguement for not putting in toggleable chat bubbles.  If you don't want them, uncheck them and BOOM, normal Darkfall.

Why put in a feature that the vast majortiy of your players are not intrested in? I am not sure how long you were in the darkfall community but I was in for a long time and from the start, the vast majority of players wouldnt be all that intrested in chat bubbles and a good amount of them might have even decided not to play because of them so why bother with the dev time?

AV wanted people to be in battles, combat, running around and exploring. Not sitting around chatting. Is it common that people sit around in chat to gather groups and trade? sure. Is it an expression of VAST inexperience to think that there isnt also a lot of simple social chit chat going on as well? yes

Originally posted by Justin9820
    Its funny, OP gave up on this after being completely ignorant to the other side of the argument. Why make a thread if you dont want to hear the answer you dont want to?

I gave up dealing with the insane guy.  Yes i did

you can talk against it as much as you want to, but as a toggleable feature, there is not much to go against it, you use it if you want to. 

I'm up to discussion, no point being here otherwise.

Why put in a feature that the vast majortiy of your players are not intrested in? I am not sure how long you were in the darkfall community but I was in for a long time and from the start, the vast majority of players wouldnt be all that intrested in chat bubbles and a good amount of them might have even decided not to play because of them so why bother with the dev time?

AV wanted people to be in battles, combat, running around and exploring. Not sitting around chatting. Is it common that people sit around in chat to gather groups and trade? sure. Is it an expression of VAST inexperience to think that there isnt also a lot of simple social chit chat going on as well? yes

Explain FUN HULKS, then.

edit: maybe i didn't, this guy is a gem lol

Explain FUN HULKS, then.

I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say 'nothing explains fun hulks or the limited use of them other than they most likely had an intern on the job who was working for free'

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Quite simply you'd be an idiot for using it in DF...So not many would use it....So why bother?

chat bubbles?...really?, Who the f&^# cares.

Originally posted by youngkg

Quite simply you'd be an idiot for using it in DF...So not many would use it....So why bother?

chat bubbles?...really?, Who the f&^# cares.

The OP does !!!!

Originally posted by Justin9820

I gave up dealing with the insane guy.  Yes i did

you can talk against it as much as you want to, but as a toggleable feature, there is not much to go against it, you use it if you want to. 

I'm up to discussion, no point being here otherwise.

I could agree that a toggleable option could be on the table. One would have to make sure there wouldnt be any exploitable advantage to it. HOWEVER, with that said, like creating a voice chat engine in a game, if you player base isnt going to use it does it make sense to make?

not sure the advantage is there on chat bubbles in fact I know for a FACT that you would lose some players although in all fairness you might also gain some

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Sorry but i have to report for NDA, as ur commenting on features in a game that is under NDA still.

Edit: specific to the OP posting info that could only be found by playing beta, thus related directly to an ingame feature that is under NDA -

Thanks ,