Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why those games suck so much these days?

SzkieletorSzkieletor Member UncommonPosts: 34

For example, SWTOR and Diablo3.

They were supposed to be the biggest and the best games in the last year... so much money spent on development, very promising, best developers, big companies, a lot of hype and yet they turned out to be just... 

I don't know what the hell is going on... why do developers make such shit games newadays?

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've never seen this topic before - please, go into more detail!

There may be a lot of hate on the internet and on this website but in general millions of people are enjoying both Diablo 3 and SWTOR, so how in the hell do they suck?

You may not personally like them, and maybe think no one else does because of what you read on a few websites, but both games you listed are successes.

I mean, according to MMORPG.com WoW is the worst MMORPG of all time, yet the number of people who play it still outnumbers the combined populations of a good chunk of the other games listed on this site.

• SzkieletorSzkieletor Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by BadSpock

There may be a lot of hate on the internet and on this website but in general millions of people are enjoying both Diablo 3 and SWTOR, so how in the hell do they suck?

You may not personally like them, and maybe think no one else does because of what you read on a few websites, but both games you listed are successes.

I mean, according to MMORPG.com WoW is the worst MMORPG of all time, yet the number of people who play it still outnumbers the combined populations of a good chunk of the other games listed on this site.

My best guess would be that if you target your game to have around 5+ million players, you need to make it so simple that a 5yo would understand everything.

I remember a sentence from my social-something classes long time ago:

"in a mass society the average IQ level is decreasing over time"

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Szkieletor

They were supposed to be the biggest and the best games in the last year... so much money spent on development, very promising, best developers, big companies, a lot of hype and yet they turned out to be just... 

I don't know what the hell is going on... why do developers make such shit games newadays?

I blame the players.

The devs catr too much to players who know next to nothing about what makes a good game. In result, we get garbage.

My best guess would be that if you target your game to have around 5+ million players, you need to make it so simple that a 5yo would understand everything.

So this is a thread about how themepark games are for morons and only genius demi-god Humans have the brain power to play sandbox games because they were coded from Jesus' beard trimmings...

Please, go on, I've never seen a topic like this before on MMORPG.com!

So this is a thread about how themepark games are for morons and only genius demi-god Humans have the brain power to play sandbox games because they were coded from Jesus' beard trimmings...

I don't know what are you talking about.

Originally posted by birdycephon

I blame the players.

The devs catr too much to players who know next to nothing about what makes a good game. In result, we get garbage.

I agree that the devs cater too much to the whims of players at times, but in general most players that think they know good design really don't.

At all.

Like... complete opposite.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I blame the arm chair quarterbacks. We are all experts on games but we don't develop or write them so we really don't know what goes into them. It is like the rabid football (US or non-US (soccer)) or baseball fans that know what really needs to be done to get a team to win. Seriously, if it was that easy, we would all be doing it.

You can't understand simple sarcasm and wit and yet complain about the modern MMORPG being too low brow?

Hilarious.

Originally posted by botrytis

I blame the arm chair quarterbacks. We are all experts on games but we don't develop or write them so we really don't know what goes into them. It is like the rabid football (US or non-US (soccer)) or baseball fans that know what really needs to be done to get a team to win. Seriously, if it was that easy, we would all be doing it.

But the diffrence is that in sports, there is always a winner, while in mmo games, I think we will never have a good game, ever (by the looks of how it's going now).

You can't understand simple sarcasm and wit and yet complain about the modern MMORPG being too low brow?

Hilarious.

you need to calm down

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

To be completely fair and serious for a moment, if we can conclude that in large groups the average intelligence of a human being decreases, we can assess that activities or products designed for massive audiences are in turn created to be utilized, at a base level, by the least intelligent. Themepark design is just a singular example, one that I can only imagine an MMO veteran, or enthusiast, must have witnessed by now. A five year old can play these games, a thirty year old can play these games, but both are capable of finding levels of simplicity or complexity presented by their own individual merits.

I'm not saying that everyone who plays themeparks are stupid, that's a gross over generalization that I find to be unfair, considering the amount of time one spends playing alone in any MMO. I am saying that themepark design focuses upon making a product that's almost impossible to misunderstand, and as a by-product requires players interacting at that base level of success very little necessity to think. There's nothing wrong with dumb fun, but let's call it what it is.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

To be completely fair and serious for a moment, if we can conclude that in large groups the average intelligence of a human being decreases, we can assess that activities or products designed for massive audiences are in turn created to be utilized, at a base level, by the least intelligent. Themepark design is just a singular example, one that I can only imagine an MMO veteran, or enthusiast, must have witnessed by now. A five year old can play these games, a thirty year old can play these games, but both are capable of finding levels of simplicity or complexity presented by their own individual merits.

I'm not saying that everyone who plays themeparks are stupid, that's a gross over generalization that I find to be unfair, considering the amount of time one spends playing alone in any MMO. I am saying that themepark design focuses upon making a product that's almost impossible to misunderstand, and as a by product requires players interacting at that base level of success very little necessity to think. There's nothing wrong with dumb fun, but let's call it what it is.

Precisely.

and I think that if game developers will continue making games talored for idiots, it will end tragically ;]

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

It's because no one has to figure anything out anymore on the game development side of things.

For SWTOR they said...WoW+Mass Effect and did nothing else. They didn't think up a single new idea. They didn't have a good concept and say "How can we get this into our game?" They said here's what were going to do, and they did it ad nauseum.

For D3 they said...D2+WoW and did nothing else. They created straight jacketed classes, because they didn't want to deal with balance whine, they came up with a simplistic item system that holds none of the excitement of old D2, and strapped on a mediocre story that shows no effort and said...here enjoy.

What made the original Diablo fun? It was the freshness of trying to apply a DnD type ruleset, to a real time combat system.

What made KOTOR fun? It was one of the first times people got to insert themselves into the Star Wars universe and experience becoming a Jedi and all the fun that comes with it. Plus there were meaningful choices.

Now I can rant about innovation all I want, and you can say "If your so smart, why don't you design a revolutionary new game" (Read this in a high pitched nasally whine because it's what you sound like), but hey I'm not getting paid 100k+ per year to be a game designer so I don't waste my energy. I just expect professionals to put out professional products. What folly.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

While your arguments in this thread are nicely pointed, someone could also point out that every year a number of mediocre to poor movies make tons of money, essentially using the same tropes over and over.   Movies where you can point to things that are poorly done (story, acting, directing, etc  -- but usually not the explosions!).  Popularity does not mean quality.

In Diablo 3 you can point to the design decision to include a real money auction house leading to all sorts of game problems.   And WoW is an outlier, a one time event.

The OPs rant, of course, is that these dumb designers don't make good games....for him/her.  And indeed that's a cry that has been heard before.  In the echo chamber, there is always agreement.   Even if so few of them can agree on exactly what the 'good' elements are. 

The folks making high dollar MMOs have to bring in a lot of income, or they fail, and don't get continued work.  This influences design.   Niche games get niche budgets, and that influences their designs as well.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

This discussion has been closed.