Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth getting?

Comments

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

I would test the game out first. I really liked the game pre-launch and for a period after launch. Leveling yet another toon just wasn't my cup of tea the questing couldn't keep the game from feeling like a grind. If you want a game that is a good time to level through I would play SWTOR. The story will keep ya going and wanting more.

I'm a WoW fanboy so I'm hunky dorky with theme park games and grindy quests. GW2 presented it in such a way that just wasn't appealing after awhile.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest.

It worth to get it only if you like f2p games disguised to b2p, you like to do repetitive events or endless map runs or, may be, you are excited by doing solo story line quests.

I feel like nerf started to be applied to this game, we slowly pushed to gem stores, we have less and less people at PvE (and only at some areas).

Or may be you can like long and challenging dungeons, keep in mind you need to spend sometime (depends on server) to get group and some gold for repair as we all die a lot inside.

PvP is sorta ok, seems to be repetitive as well and sorta pointless, as you don't get much as rewords.

Holiday events used to be way more fun at GW as they are at GW2, IMO again.

But all this is only my appreciations, may be you'll love it.
    Anyway try to get trial account before spend 60$ and read official forum to see how happy players are now.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It's fun, just the box fee and no strings attached. It's top-notch quality and was well worth the box fee for me, even if you just get one character to 80 to see the story through and don't play it again. sPvP and WvW are games of and unto their own selves (love them or hate them), so it's kinda like getting 3 games in one.

That, and once you own it, you can always come back to it later.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Nitth

Tsw offers 100% if its content for free now and thats actually chearp than gw2

I admire your approach, fishing for potential converts in the opposition's forum.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It's by far the best bang for your buck MMO out. $50-$60 gives you full access to the game. There are hundreds of hours of content. It is one of the most polished MMO's out. 

It's about the only MMO that most agree is worth the purchase. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I would say yes but this is my opinion so you'll have to make your own. 

For me GW2 offers pretty much everything I want out of an MMO and I dont have to worry about a pesky subscription to boot.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DressyVirusDressyVirus Member UncommonPosts: 1

IMO it is not worth getting.

I played GW1 and loved logged 5years worth of play in it and still happily play it every now and again still.  GW2 I found very dull, my highest character got to lvl 25 I not it isnt very high and people have said the best of the game doesnt start until 40 but its to dull for words so have since deleted the game.

By all means try it first if you can and form your own opinion of it.  If i had tried before I brought it I would not of wasted my money but i believed alot of the hype and what had been written about it before hand. 

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Karteli

Nobody knows your personal tastes, so any answer for "Yes" or "No" shouldn't matter a whole lot to you .. But ...

It's worth getting so at least you will know what people are talking about when they say Guild Wars 2 is anti-social, the Dynamic Events follow the same 3 or 4 cookie cutter designs, the worlds feel boxed in, crafting is pointless, there is no endgame, removing the trinity was a huge mistake, longevity problems with players not wanting to log back on, etc.

Maybe you'll have differing opinions, but it might be worth knowing whether or not you would ever want to play a game like it again (TESO anyone?), or if the MMORPG industry is sinking into bland single player games being mislabeled MMORPG's.

It will provide at least a couple dozen hours of playability (maybe more, again depending on your playstyle tastes), so it's somewhat cheap entertainment I suppose.  The seasonal events are alright if your off from work / school and bored.

lol gw2 being anti-social, yeah only for the people who are, Dynamic events sure, but they are at least better than all other MMO's, world feeling boxed, well I couldn't care less, crafting is nothing but pointless, no endgame is one of the best thing ever because endgame = endless threadmill grind, removing of the trinity isnt a huge mistake, putting the trinity like in all other MMO is the mistake, longevity problems yeah like every other MMO out there with people passing trought content in no time and the cry because the game doesn't offer much content.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Originally posted by jtcgs
    And the issue I have with your statement is that it leaves out a players enjoyement with its base argument.

All games, no matter what, requires a players "conviction" to keep playing, without it, no game can hold a player. The question is, what is that conviction based on? FUN? Other players? How the game is presented?

People can extrude the amount of time they play a game because they are really "get into it". For example the act of getting a legendary item requires alot of conviction from the player to do the tasks required to acquire the said item. That part is not necessarily fun either, but none the less keeps you playing with the promise of enjoyment at the end.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have genuine fun in the game, But in context of he question "is gw2 worth it for the money" you cant argue that there would not be cheaper alternatives to do say; Whats above, or casual pvp / pve.

which ill refer back to what i said earlier to the OP "what do you want out of this game?"

If we break all games down to their basics, everything is the same...but they are NOT. Go on and try to tell me World of Warcraft is exactly the same as...Anarchy Online...and that it is the same as SWTOR. Sorry bud, it dont work like that...so, imo no, your argument is not standing.
    No, not exactly. But you know as well as i do that what players DO in those worlds don't drastically change. which is why if you are content with killing boars, then it really doesn't mater which game you play.

Same with pvp, you could find a cheap and fun alternative if you wanted to pvp all day.

Go play Conan, its free...well, some of it is. Enjoy your updates every 3-4 months...well, part of them since most of it will be locked until you pay for it much like the best parts of the base game where in the end,you are paying FAR MORE to unlock 100% of the base game than you would be if you bought GW2.
    You don't have to unlock those "optional extras" to have fun. Remember you havnt payed a dime for the stuff you can do, And there is ALOT to do, including pvp.

As for content delivery cycles, gw2 is new. Who knows down the line they might have longer delivery cycles or weather they will monetize expansions in the cash shop.

For $60 you get 100% of Guild Wars 2 and 100% of its monthly updates, sure an expansion will come out maybe once a year that youll have to buy but until then, you get 100% of the game and when it comes down to it, the INDIVIDUALS tastes determine if the game is WORTH it or not.

Tsw offers 100% if its content for free now and thats actually chearp than gw2. However, The op is not content with that game. So.. we should probably find out what the OP is seeking in a game.

GW2 is a better game than TSW.

And I like TSW.

But I log in, group with my GF and kill a mob. Pop-out "want, need, pass".

I jump and feel like a bat.

Why do I need to accept a mission to kill 6 zombies instead of just killing them?

Why do I need to keep spamming my builder?

Why does the combat feel clunky while GW2 combat feel so fluid?

Why does the entire world feel lifeless, with all the NPCs just standing and the mobs just being around?

Why does jumping make me feel like I'm a bat or something?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

It would be worth it if ANet had left the game in it's original state or rather improved it from there.

But since they greatly messed up an already flawed product even more and likely seem to continue this trend, i would say wait for a discount or don't get it at all.

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49

Most here are telling you a bunch of lies that only apply to their point of view

one even tells you the game is horrible cause there's no endgame LOL I had to laugh so hard at that one :D

What it boils down to is this:

are you a fan of vertical progression ? 

- if yes, this game is not for you, you're better of with one of a million wow clones out there flooding the market.

are you a fan of horizontal progression ?

- if yes, than this game will blow your mind you will not be able to stop playing.

are you a fan of the trinity ?

if yes, than don't bother buying it you will not enjoy it, again go play a wow clone and stand around going throuth rotations.

are you a fan of class roles ?

if yes, than Guild Wars 2 is the game for you, reacting to what is happening is the name of the game you never really know what will happen next time you enter a dungeon it's not as clear cut as follow steps 1,2,3.

I have spent over 800+ hours in this game already, if it was really a bad game I wouldn't even bother playing it for more than 20 hours.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Subjective. People like different things.

And I like TSW.

Have no idea what your talking about.

Why do I need to accept a mission to kill 6 zombies instead of just killing them?
    Because when your contracted to do something usually some kind of communication is required? - Guild wars 2 does this aswell.

Shouldn't that be apparent? to acquire resources for a finisher?

Oh you mean like how your always floating on air like your in the sound of music?

Why does the entire world feel lifeless, with all the NPCs just standing and the mobs just being around?
    The world is how you perceive it. Npc are there because people know where to go when they require something, Likewise in gw2 its the same deal the market vendor will all-ways be in the same place. Mobs will roam, but they will always have a vicinity.

I have no idea what your talking about..

Regardless, This isnt a Gw2 vs TSW discussion.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Tsw offers 100% if its content for free now and thats actually chearp than gw2

I admire your approach, fishing for potential converts in the opposition's forum.

Op seems to talk with forked tongue .....perhaps this quote came from TSW forums ?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Oh you mean like how your always floating on air like your in the sound of music?

That's a rather odd thing to say... what do you mean floating on air?

The world is how you perceive it. Npc are there because people know where to go when they require something, Likewise in gw2 its the same deal the market vendor will all-ways be in the same place. Mobs will roam, but they will always have a vicinity.

Not necessarily true. Many vendors actually move about a good bit, with some not even becoming vendors until an event chain has completed, and then for a limited time.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

1) Subjective. People like different things.

And I like TSW.

2) Have no idea what your talking about.

3) Because when your contracted to do something usually some kind of communication is required? - Guild wars 2 does this aswell.

4) Shouldn't that be apparent? to acquire resources for a finisher?

5) Oh you mean like how your always floating on air like your in the sound of music?

6)The world is how you perceive it. Npc are there because people know where to go when they require something, Likewise in gw2 its the same deal the market vendor will all-ways be in the same place. Mobs will roam, but they will always have a vicinity.

7) I have no idea what your talking about..

Regardless, This isnt a Gw2 vs TSW discussion.

2) Loot rolls. Need/Greed crap.

3) But GW2 doesn't say "sorry mate you killed them but I'vent told you so so you get no reward. If you want the reward go kill them again".

4) Get tedious - you will be spamming it. FPS have a comfortable way of spamming in the left mouse key. I'll most likely have 2 builders in TSW so I can't really remap it to the left mouse button and I'll be losing other stuff anyway. GW2 ability to set the auto attack on the spammer is much better IMO.

5) Or just like your character has no motor problems plus the fact of spamming the builders.

6) The world of GW2 isn't a question of perception - stuff is happening, groups of mobs come and wage war, NPCs roam, including traders when they feel the need to go explore a mysterious lab, restock their supply of dolyak meat or just go drop a bomb on skritt thieves. Or maybe the NPCs just need a dolyak caravan and send a courier pidgeon and a few minutes a caravan approaches. The vicinity can be half the map away. The world of TSW is cardboard and the only life are the players.

7) -> lets open the arms as if I have wings and glide...

1) It might be subjective but one is winning prizes (including public choices) the other isn't. One sells over 2 million copies the other sells under 200K.

People like different things but there are things that aren't a matter of opinion and that is why improving combat animations have been one of the focus of TSW devs.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Loot rolls. Need/Greed crap.
    If your game places emphasis on loot, and follows an rng system. Then you need a system that will distribute that fairly.

Personally Guildwars 2's system of "everyone gets the loot" is unrealistic. However convenient for a certain crow of players. Both systems are plausible for games imo.

3) But GW2 doesn't say "sorry mate you killed them but I'vent told you so so you get no reward. If you want the reward go kill them again".
    If an event isnt happening you don't get rewarded retrospectively. Initialization of an event is the same as an initialization of a mission.

4) Get tedious - you will be spamming it. FPS have a comfortable way of spamming in the left mouse key. I'll most likely have 2 builders in TSW so I can't really remap it to the left mouse button and I'll be losing other stuff anyway. GW2 ability to set the auto attack on the spammer is much better IMO.

Still requires repetitive activation of an ability. Except in gw2's case its automated hidden. I could make the case that its lazy to use auto attacks but whats the point, The systems are what they are love it or loath them.

5) Or just like your character has no motor problems plus the fact of spamming the builders.
    Not quite sure what you mean by "motor problems" bu the spaming of builders has been discussed above.

As a thief, I can spam my first ability so that all the dots an such are applied to the target while i wait for initiative to build. or i could assign auto attack to automate the process.

Like i said above tsw is not so different, Your still waiting for resources to come up, repetitive actions happening in between.

6) The world of GW2 isn't a question of perception - stuff is happening, groups of mobs come and wage war, NPCs roam, including traders when they feel the need to go explore a mysterious lab, restock their supply of dolyak meat or just go drop a bomb on skritt thieves. Or maybe the NPCs just need a dolyak caravan and send a courier pidgeon and a few minutes a caravan approaches. The vicinity can be half the map away. The world of TSW is cardboard and the only life are the players.
    Its all an illusion they are on scripted paths the npcs your talking about.

Both games employ a LARGE number of static npcs. In fact i would wager that most npcs in gw2 are static.

On TSW: Does the train master need to move around agartha? I suppose he could but his job is welcome new agents into Agatha. Could sheriff andy move around the kingsmouth police station? sure. Is it just as believable that hes posted on top of the building? yep.

I think they key thing here is, in guild wars 2 your saying that to get your connection with the npcs you see them walk around and they make the world believable.

TSW uses cut scenes to portray the connection to the characters and the world. I think tsw gives a deeper level of complexity to npcs and world that gw2 does imo. even if it does take some imagination.

7) -> lets open the arms as if I have wings and glide...
    If were going by lore were conduits of anima having extra human strength like falling vast distances aswell as jumping quite high. I dont see anything wrong with the animation providing you invision that your character operates with a different lvl of physics.

1) It might be subjective but one is winning prizes (including public choices) the other isn't. One sells over 2 million copies the other sells under 200K.
    Doest make it the better game. Hype, Marketing, Popularity all comes into play.

TSW was greet with great asteem when it first came out, and gammers hailed its "uniqueness".

People like different things but there are things that aren't a matter of opinion and that is why improving combat animations have been one of the focus of TSW devs.

The animations imo are fine, Considering its not an fps but and basicly your throwing numbers at people instead of bullets.

However it they think they can gain more profit from making the animations more inline with what crics want. more power to them.

I'm not going to continue this with you because it is derailing the thread. Start another thread, Ill respond there.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

My opinion is GW2 is well worth the money. Its not the be all end all of MMOs but overall its a fun, well developed game. I personally am taking a break to play TSW ( which IMO is a great game also ), but I feel GW2 was money well spent . Even if I never played it again the many hours of entertainment was worth it.

Will it be for you? I dunno.

My suggestion is read up on it, make an informed decision if that what you want to buy ( or not ) and go with it. If your strapped and $60 is not worth spending on a game you may ( may not ) like then pass until you KNOW you have found something worth buying.

My 2cp

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Renton81
    *SNIP*
    Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?

You missed the free trial, but the game is worth getting and playing if you're into where they're going what they're doing with the game. It's quite refreshing for more casual players that don't want to organize their real life around a holy video game.

imageimage
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

GW2 is worth getting because you get quite a bit for the money. It's not the greatest game ever, but I got like 3 weeks out of it before getting bored at launch, then a couple months go by and now I hopped back in and have been playing for a bit over a week and enjoying myself a good bit again.

You may enjoy it for more or less time than I did, but I personally think it's worth the money, whether or not it has the most compelling gameplay or not. I find it doesn't really excel at any one aspect, but it's kinda like a MMO-of-all-trades: nothing amazing, but nothing truly terrible, either.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

The same handful of super rabid GW2 fans are leading so many people down the hype and dissapointment road.

"1000 hours played and I haven't even scratched the surface of what this game has to offer!"

Yeah... okay then, you go back to your dream world where GW2 somehow magically filled itself full of fun meaningful content.

Anyways, if you hated GW1, GW2 is an entirely different game...personally I feel it's worse. So I don't know how that would relate with you.

If in GW2 you want PvP with no purpose, gear with no purpose, no community aspect and zerg events with bot friends from 1-69 then a zerg in a typical zombie infested wasteland until 80 only to realize you can do all the content in the game with the gear you dinged 80 in...then you're in luck! Also once your character hits level 40, expect nothing to change from level 40-80, literally, no skill, character or trait development, they just added those 40 levels because... I honestly have no idea. Maybe they didn't feel there were enough centaurs in the game, so they had to add two more zones full of only centaurs, talk about repetitive mobs.

Also there's no mounts, it's heavily instanced and you can instantly teleport anywhere on the map with the click of a button once you've been there before.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    If you have to question a game that has won multiple Game of the Year awards, RPG of the year awards, MMORPG of the year awards, etc.  than why would you come here for information?  Do you honestly think that you'll get unbias opinions and not a slew of troll posts?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    If you have to question a game that has won multiple Game of the Year awards, RPG of the year awards, MMORPG of the year awards, etc.  than why would you come here for information?  Do you honestly think that you'll get unbias opinions and not a slew of troll posts?

I can almost consider some of the GW2 fanboys posts to be troll posts, especially ones who think "game of the year" means anything, especially when opinions are subjective and even after some sites posted that it is game of the year they then posted articles critisizing the various flaws with the game.

Or the guy whos said "after 1000 hours played I havent even scratched the surface on what to do in this MMO".... after 1000 hours played I could have every class at 80 in full exotics and rank 10 in PvP with 5 100% map completions and 500g. That post was just a downright lie.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I can almost consider some of the GW2 fanboys posts to be troll posts, especially ones who think "game of the year" means anything, especially when opinions are subjective and even after some sites posted that it is game of the year they then posted articles critisizing the various flaws with the game.

Or the guy whos said "after 1000 hours played I havent even scratched the surface on what to do in this MMO".... after 1000 hours played I could have every class at 80 in full exotics and rank 10 in PvP with 5 100% map completions and 500g. That post was just a downright lie.

I think that's what that poster meant.  Was talking about the fans and not getting an honest review / evaluation from them because of bias.  (Hence why GW2 won those awards instead of more deserving games)

Or thats how I read it anyways.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

Your 1000 hours may mean somethign different, mine 300 hours in spvp and roughly 300 or a bit more in WvW, and 70 ish in PvE. 

So please try to think out side of the box before you just start you know.... well nvm carry on

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

The same handful of super rabid GW2 fans are leading so many people down the hype and dissapointment road.

"1000 hours played and I haven't even scratched the surface of what this game has to offer!"

Yeah... okay then, you go back to your dream world where GW2 somehow magically filled itself full of fun meaningful content.

Anyways, if you hated GW1, GW2 is an entirely different game...personally I feel it's worse. So I don't know how that would relate with you.

If in GW2 you want PvP with no purpose, gear with no purpose, no community aspect and zerg events with bot friends from 1-69 then a zerg in a typical zombie infested wasteland until 80 only to realize you can do all the content in the game with the gear you dinged 80 in...then you're in luck! Also once your character hits level 40, expect nothing to change from level 40-80, literally, no skill, character or trait development, they just added those 40 levels because... I honestly have no idea. Maybe they didn't feel there were enough centaurs in the game, so they had to add two more zones full of only centaurs, talk about repetitive mobs.

Also there's no mounts, it's heavily instanced and you can instantly teleport anywhere on the map with the click of a button once you've been there before.

My feelings exactly.

It's not the worst game, but hardly worth getting