Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth getting?

Renton81Renton81 Member Posts: 92
So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.).

Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    No game will offer this much for the money you will pay.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I'm not inclined to believe you.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I'm not inclined to believe you.

My opinion, nothing more.

To OP, maybe Game of the year rewards by Gamespot, IGN, Tentonhammer and Masivelly will add another argument why this game is worth. Again, those are only opinions and it's up to you if you will believe it.

Originally posted by Renton81
    So since guild wars 2 has been out, I want to know some of the reasons why someone should play this game. Guild Wars 1 imo was a horrible game, even if it didnt have a sub. I am considering getting it, but I having seen a lot of games as of late that look great, but end up being disappointing (The Secret World, DayZ, etc.).Is there any free trial or something so I could test it out and see if it's worth playing?

What is it you want out of the game?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Nobody knows your personal tastes, so any answer for "Yes" or "No" shouldn't matter a whole lot to you .. But ...

It's worth getting so at least you will know what people are talking about when they say Guild Wars 2 is anti-social, the Dynamic Events follow the same 3 or 4 cookie cutter designs, the worlds feel boxed in, crafting is pointless, there is no endgame, removing the trinity was a huge mistake, longevity problems with players not wanting to log back on, etc.

Maybe you'll have differing opinions, but it might be worth knowing whether or not you would ever want to play a game like it again (TESO anyone?), or if the MMORPG industry is sinking into bland single player games being mislabeled MMORPG's.

It will provide at least a couple dozen hours of playability (maybe more, again depending on your playstyle tastes), so it's somewhat cheap entertainment I suppose.  The seasonal events are alright if your off from work / school and bored.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I'm approaching 1000 hours played in this game and I still haven't come close to seeing or doing it all. No game will give you your money's worth like this one in my opinion.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

The best MMMO-ish game ever!
    Try it.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Even if you only enjoy it for the first few weeks it's worth it, single player games don't cost any more and many of them only give 20 hours of enjoyment.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    It is worth it and get it before Wintersday is over! Such a fun event. Tonight - the jumping puzzle!!

Originally posted by Volkon
    I'm approaching 1000 hours played in this game and I still haven't come close to seeing or doing it all. No game will give you your money's worth like this one in my opinion.

See, the issue i have with these statements is its a testament to ones conviction to keep playing.

Guild wars 2 is the same in every regard to almost any other mmorpg, You have a world to explore, And Npc interaction within that.

If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp.

So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      IMO ................... NO    .. I got to 80 ....... got geared.........got Bored......... removed from drive ...
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by botrytis
    It is worth it and get it before Wintersday is over! Such a fun event. Tonight - the jumping puzzle!!

I'm yet to figure out why some people get so excited about jumping puzzles.  They aren't difficult.

Even EQ / WoW / single player games had jumping tasks.  It was a non-feature back then, and still is.  It was just ... there .. not even worth mentioning, hmm.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    If you want an mmo, yes. However, do not be afraid to look at other rpgs out there and see if you want those. Tsw I also reccomend, however gw2 is more casual and "complete" than tsw, but tsw only being 30$ now is not bad.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

See, the issue i have with these statements is its a testament to ones conviction to keep playing.

Guild wars 2 is the same in every regard to almost any other mmorpg, You have a world to explore, And Npc interaction within that.

If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp.

Exactly, IN YOUR OPINION . Many single player games are the same price and offer less and never roll out new content.

Understand your opinion but everyone has one, doesn't mean he is wrong or right - just like you.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

So just don't play it, but also don't bother us.

Except all those are boring after 2 weeks to one months. Tried them all (and most of the others) and still claim GW2 is hands down best MMO-ish game of them all.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• ravendevillravendevill Member CommonPosts: 2
    is a good game ..if u like mass pvp ...pve in my opinion is lamezor big time.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'm yet to figure out why some people get so excited about jumping puzzles.  They aren't difficult.

Even EQ / WoW / single player games had jumping tasks.  It was a non-feature back then, and still is.  It was just ... there .. not even worth mentioning, hmm.

Difficulty doesn't equal fun. I myself do not enjoy the puzzles, I suck at them. However, I did enjoy going to the waiting room, throwing snowballs, and watching other people do the puzzle.

Originally posted by Volkon I'm approaching 1000 hours played in this game and I still haven't come close to seeing or doing it all. No game will give you your money's worth like this one in my opinion.
      See, the issue i have with these statements is its a testament to ones conviction to keep playing. Guild wars 2 is the same in every regard to almost any other mmorpg, You have a world to explore, And Npc interaction within that. If i were so inclined, i could spend 100's of hours running around age of conan or tsw, or swtor or everquest ect looking at all the sites and interaction with npcs. All for FREE. same for pvp, Alot of fremium models offer pvp. So, imo no, Not necessarily "the best game for your dollar" at $60.
    Exactly, IN YOUR OPINION . Many single player games are the same price and offer less and never roll out new content.

Understand your opinion but everyone has one, doesn't mean he is wrong or right - just like you.

Why are you all bent out of shape, I cant have an opinion about other peoples perspectives?

I never said i was wrong or right.

You call it a conviction to keep playing. When I played WoW, quite heavily mind you for a number of years, there was a conviction to keep playing even though I really wasn't having fun anymore. The raids, though, they needed their main tank and I was it. The second group needed their dps hunter and believe you me, I could crank out those numbers. Eve Online... not so much a conviction to play as a responsibility. I was in charge of the POS in the wormhole. I kept her fueled, took care of her defenses, sounded the alarms as needed. I kept the processing going, up to and including T3 production. It was a responsibility, so even after it became less fun and more work, I kept playing.

GW2, I have nearly a thousand hours. I'm still having fun. Lots of it. I'm not close to running out of content to see and do. I still laugh at things like this. Or this classic photo bomb.

I'm not playing out of conviction. I know what that's like. I'm playing for fun.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Karteli

Have you even seen it? It's gorgeous, challenging and fun. The amount of work that went into that... wow.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• kio414kio414 Member Posts: 1
    Honestly, if you are more about the skills and more about the grinding then dont get the game... I bought the game and i was kind of disappointed because the skills are so limited based on just the weapon you have. But everything else is great. But yes in all the game is worth it if you have nothing better to do.  
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

A lot of people have mentioned that they feel they got their money's worth out of the game.  Some of those people still love it and farm away, reroll, run holidays, do all the jumping puzzles, etc.  Others felt let down by the lack of any real endgame or overall shallowness.

It is probably worth the initial cost.  I would recommend against spending any additional money in on gems in the cash shop.  Eventually you will be able to farm gold and buy gems with it, then purchase what you want from the cash shop with those gems.  This could even extend the period of time the game remains fun (and goal driven) for you.

I'm of the opinion that the developers over promised and under delivered.  I played a character to 80, 100%'ed the map, finished the personal story and started working towards a legendary weapon.  I grew bored pretty quickly at that point.  However, I would never consider asking for a refund or anything like that.  I did receive an adequate number of hours of entertainment for the box price.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

And the issue I have with your statement is that it leaves out a players enjoyement with its base argument.

All games, no matter what, requires a players "conviction" to keep playing, without it, no game can hold a player. The question is, what is that conviction based on? FUN? Other players? How the game is presented?

If we break all games down to their basics, everything is the same...but they are NOT. Go on and try to tell me World of Warcraft is exactly the same as...Anarchy Online...and that it is the same as SWTOR. Sorry bud, it dont work like that...so, imo no, your argument is not standing.

Go play Conan, its free...well, some of it is. Enjoy your updates every 3-4 months...well, part of them since most of it will be locked until you pay for it much like the best parts of the base game where in the end,you are paying FAR MORE to unlock 100% of the base game than you would be if you bought GW2.

For $60 you get 100% of Guild Wars 2 and 100% of its monthly updates, sure an expansion will come out maybe once a year that youll have to buy but until then, you get 100% of the game and when it comes down to it, the INDIVIDUALS tastes determins if the game is WORTH it or not.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Gw2 is only worth getting if you do not spend 1 cent in the gem store. GW2 gem store is a complete rip-off as you will find if you start playing the game.

For 60 dollars/euros (even less with the promotions) you have about 100 hours of interesting gameplay with your main character (this time can go up to 300 hours if you develop 1 or 2 alts).

After you reach level 80 (maximum now) the game becomes very very boring because there is no real end-game content worth the name. The World versus World PvP is a gold sink with no real rewards and the Structured PvP is unbalanced so if do not have the right character you will find yourself owned all the time.

Grinding open world events, dungeons and fractals is so boring that even the hardcore fanboys start to complain. The mobs item drop tables have been hugely nerfed in 15th November 2012, so now you play for hours without getting any worthy reward.

This has become so ridiculous that new characters can not gear themselves with mobs drops. Its is now normal to have, for example, a level 16 character with level 6-8 gear. As you can imagine, in a game so dependent from gear stats, even the weakest mobs of your level can own you if 2 of them attack you at same time.

At level 80, the only reason to keep playing this game is to get a legendary weapon skin that is very grindful to obtain and gives you no real edge in game excepts for looks. In my case I do not find it worth the time investment.

My best advice for you: Go to https://www.guildwars2.com/en/ and read the players threads. Be aware because the posts with more negative feedback (but truthfully) are buried inside merged threads or simply deleted. So, start reading the threads with [Merged] at the end of the thread title or try to read the threads they deleted (in light grey and crossed over) before they disapear altogether.

Best regards,

RJ

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Originally posted by jtcgs
    And the issue I have with your statement is that it leaves out a players enjoyement with its base argument.

All games, no matter what, requires a players "conviction" to keep playing, without it, no game can hold a player. The question is, what is that conviction based on? FUN? Other players? How the game is presented?

People can extrude the amount of time they play a game because they are really "get into it". For example the act of getting a legendary item requires alot of conviction from the player to do the tasks required to acquire the said item. That part is not necessarily fun either, but none the less keeps you playing with the promise of enjoyment at the end.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have genuine fun in the game, But in context of he question "is gw2 worth it for the money" you cant argue that there would not be cheaper alternatives to do say; Whats above, or casual pvp / pve.

which ill refer back to what i said earlier to the OP "what do you want out of this game?"

If we break all games down to their basics, everything is the same...but they are NOT. Go on and try to tell me World of Warcraft is exactly the same as...Anarchy Online...and that it is the same as SWTOR. Sorry bud, it dont work like that...so, imo no, your argument is not standing.
    No, not exactly. But you know as well as i do that what players DO in those worlds don't drastically change. which is why if you are content with killing boars, then it really doesn't mater which game you play.

Same with pvp, you could find a cheap and fun alternative if you wanted to pvp all day.

Go play Conan, its free...well, some of it is. Enjoy your updates every 3-4 months...well, part of them since most of it will be locked until you pay for it much like the best parts of the base game where in the end,you are paying FAR MORE to unlock 100% of the base game than you would be if you bought GW2.
    You don't have to unlock those "optional extras" to have fun. Remember you havnt payed a dime for the stuff you can do, And there is ALOT to do, including pvp.

As for content delivery cycles, gw2 is new. Who knows down the line they might have longer delivery cycles or weather they will monetize expansions in the cash shop.

For $60 you get 100% of Guild Wars 2 and 100% of its monthly updates, sure an expansion will come out maybe once a year that youll have to buy but until then, you get 100% of the game and when it comes down to it, the INDIVIDUALS tastes determine if the game is WORTH it or not.

Tsw offers 100% if its content for free now and thats actually chearp than gw2. However, The op is not content with that game. So.. we should probably find out what the OP is seeking in a game.