Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the economy in this game?

Since this game is either a sandbox or at least a "sandoxy" game, are most or all items player crafted?  How is the economy looking?  Does it look like it could be Eve with swords?  Because that sounds kind of cool.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yes, 90% of gear is player  crafted. however, NPCs do drop gear but it's usually really crappy stuff (starter gear). unfortunately in the old DF everyone could max every crafting skill so the only people that actually need to buy crafterd goods where nubes.

when everyone can craft the only thing that actually sells are mats, and there was a fair bit of that in DF 1. so besically there were the "farmers" and the "mats buyers", and that's pretty much where it ended.

As for "EvE on land".....just no. EvE's economy is the way it is because there are 40,000 people sharing the same server. there is just no way to duplicate that kind of economic machine without the same ammount of players all buying and selling and skeeming on the same server....you just can't. 

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

The economy is meh. If you're a crafter, this isn't a strong crafting game. Crafting is really more of a side profession of the side professions. We could see it improve over time though, and Tasos has stated he wants to see the economy play a more prominent role.

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Well, I don't know about Unholy Wars...but original Darkfall, many items were crafted.

The thing about original Darkfall was that it is/was a full loot game.  If you die, all your stuff is available to loot: Your armor, weapons, entire inventory, mounts, coin.  Whatever you have on you is fair game.

That being said, it is important to gather materials and bank them as soon as you can.  In Darkfall the original, my guild would scheduel harvesting ops.  We would have our harvesters, then we would have our soldiers there watching out for incoming enemies.  We also would have bank runners accompanied with guards to transport our harvested materials to the bank for safe keeping.

I am not sure how the rules have changed in Darkfall: Unholy Wars though.  Maybe it isn't full loot anymore, but if it is similar to Darkfall original, then it will be very important to craft things.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by delimeat567

The economy is meh. If you're a crafter, this isn't a strong crafting game. Crafting is really more of a side profession of the side professions. We could see it improve over time though, and Tasos has stated he wants to see the economy play a more prominent role.

This is not the case in DFUW... crafting definately has a more prominent role just not yet because the starter stuff is good enough for what players currently do.

The entire crafting system has been redone, I can't say any details but it will take ALOT OF TIME AND EFFORT to master even a single craft. No way in hell looking at values ingame is crafting a side profession now.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Dragim

I am not sure how the rules have changed in Darkfall: Unholy Wars though.  Maybe it isn't full loot anymore, but if it is similar to Darkfall original, then it will be very important to craft things.

In the interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-ZQ2Ow1bU Tasos said what will change, and more important, what will not change: everyone can craft everything. So everything stays the same: huge demand for items and resources, very small demand for crafters.

Besides player vendors from DF 1, some time after launch of DF:UW they'll add market (auction house).

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Poor game mechanics when it comes to crafting.  Rare to sell your actual item.  Since everyone is self reliant it is more about buying the mats to make item.
  • BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Most of the people in this threadd clearly aren't in the beta.

• DFO is still full loot
    • Crafting is VERY important
    • Crafting has been completely overhauled (as another poster indicated)

It is too early to see if the resource  balance makes it impossilbe to craft goods for a marketable cost.  If the roesruces are readily availablee then the economy should be very good.  this was the biggest problem in DFO1.

Originally posted by BuniontToes

• DFO is still full loot

It is too early to see if the resource  balance makes it impossilbe to craft goods for a marketable cost.  If the roesruces are readily availablee then the economy should be very good.  this was the biggest problem in DFO1.

Whats your opinion on characters being able to craft everything without restrictions?  I personally hate it and think it is detrimental to the game economy.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

• DFO is still full loot

by the way i am in bete, but have yet to try crafting

yes, the actual skill of crafting is very important, but "designated crafter" not so much.

Since everyone can learn all crafting skills (this has be confirmed for UW as well) everyone can craft everything they need. the only thing people will be buying are materials, just like in the originl DF.

i would still have liked them to restrict what one character can craft so that people would not be albe to be completely self sufficient and would be forced to trade/interact with others. However that is only my presonal preference.

Originally posted by Badaboom

• DFO is still full loot

Whats your opinion on characters being able to craft everything without restrictions?  I personally hate it and think it is detrimental to the game economy.

Do't know yet.  I personally would like to see masteries limited.  However if it is pretty expensive to craft.  It takes gold.  If the cost  or time is prohibitive then this is the same effect as limitingg masteries.

Up until the end off DFO there were not many high end enchanters because the cost sso was high.   This made Q5 enchanters like Deste Locke in very high demand.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

• DFO is still full loot

How is that? Just because at some point crafting is open to everyone doesnt mean people will have access to the required resources to craft.

if it takes 3 years and 5 Million gold then who cares?
    Originally posted by Hancakes

• DFO is still full loot

How is that? Just because at some point crafting is open to everyone doesnt mean people will have access to the required resources to craft.

I can just speak to my experience in DF1.  I crafted my own weapons and armour.  I was also leveling up my enchanting but was not very high level.  Sure, if I wanted to max best possible stats I would seek out a better crafter but with what I could do, it was good enough.

I feel that I should be forced to make a choice in crafting.  If I craft and focus on weapons, then I should have to seek out crafters to buy some of the other stuff, like armour.  I'm sure they would love to sell to me.  There are player vendors who would also enjoy that.

The economy should be more than about buying mats, don't you think?

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56
    Well even those of us who are in beta have been unable to get too deep into the game for certain reasons. Suppose we can't really talk about it yet though. Tasos did mention the NDA would be lifted soon, probably sometime around the New Year. 

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Not only that everyone can craft everything , the list why crafting sucks in DF UW is long.

Is ridicuculs mobs drop even high ranked weapons ready to use ..

Why need a crafter if you can loot from mob drops ?

beside crafting..The DF arena has also now become claustrophobig dimensions

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)