Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Darkfall a Sandbox but not Planetside 2?

13»

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Honestly, both seem like Open World MMO PvP arenas, than Sandbox.

But how can you or anybody name one of them a Sandbox without naming the other a sandbox as well?

Darkfall has no sand at all. Just lots of base control, just like Planetside 2 has.

Sounds about right - open world is probably mostly always in sandbox. But as to 0,1 I think it's more of a sliding scale of extremes and middling/blending area?

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

But how can you or anybody name one of them a Sandbox without naming the other a sandbox as well?

Darkfall has no sand at all. Just lots of base control, just like Planetside 2 has.

Both are not the best example of a sandbox.. if at all.

But you can build up your town in Darkfall, even if it is just on a few places, and you cant do this in Planetside 2.

On the other hand i dont know how much crafting in Planetside 2 is involved, do they have crafting? Well.. at least in DF you can craft everything. But beside off that.. Darkfall was never big as a sandbox.. territory controll and player controlled cities, and a somewhat player controlled economy is all what makes Darkfall somewhat of a sandbox.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

PS2 has no pve (npc to kill), no world bosses, no quests, no crafting, no gathering, no boats, no house building, no town/fortress creation, no full loot (no loot at all actually), no trading between players, no banking, no skill progression, no item durability loss, no economy, etc...

.....now, i really like PS2 for what it is, a HUGE, persistant, fps, battle ground, but it's not an mmorpg.

DF UW is an pvp focused, aim based mmorpg, with some sandbox elements.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Both are not the best example of a sandbox.. if at all.

But you can build up your town in Darkfall, even if it is just on a few places, and you cant do this in Planetside 2.

On the other hand i dont know how much crafting in Planetside 2 is involved, do they have crafting? Well.. at least in DF you can craft everything. But beside off that.. Darkfall was never big as a sandbox.. territory controll and player controlled cities, and a somewhat player controlled economy is all what makes Darkfall somewhat of a sandbox.

No crafting, no housing, no quests, realy nothing that makes it any kind of mmorpg at all. MMO barely.

It has 3 factions, guns, tanks, aircraft, aiming, flag/base swaping........ basicaly your average shooter/fps game.

Dont know why people always try to look into things that arent there. Just because they slap a mmo in front of the FPS doesnt make it a sandbox nor rpg. I wish people would take 5 seconds and look up the meaning of sandbox before posting, would save them a lot of time trying to convinve the majority of players that know the difference.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Err planetside does have skill progression, you do level in it.

Also I think its more of a mmo than several games out there where end game is sitting in cities queueing to go instanced pve or instanced pvp.

It's not a mmorpg though.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    How about you define the key features which make a sandbox and then tell us what mmorpgs you feel fit within that remit. Then maybe you can answer your own inane questions without bothering the rest of us.

People have listed time and again for you in other threads why they feel that Darkfall either does or does not fall under the catagory of "sandbox" within the mmorpg definition.

So why exactly are you harping on about the same old shite yet again? Did you not read the responses before?

And really, you can't tell the difference between PS2 and DF? Fucking hell.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    What a ridiculous question.... How is a game where you can build and alter the world a sandbox, but not a game where you can only shoot stuff and then move on to the next base? I wonder...
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by madazz
    What a ridiculous question.... How is a game where you can build and alter the world a sandbox, but not a game where you can only shoot stuff and then move on to the next base? I wonder...

If thats the difference then yes thats a pretty silly question.  Not having played, or even seriously checked out ps2 I can't state.

All I can state is that I played darkfall for about 1 week, hated it, however it was a sandbox.  Pvp oriented yes, but still a sandbox. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

If thats the difference then yes thats a pretty silly question.  Not having played, or even seriously checked out ps2 I can't state.

All I can state is that I played darkfall for about 1 week, hated it, however it was a sandbox.  Pvp oriented yes, but still a sandbox. 

Too bad you didn't care for it. Not everyones cup of tea! I actually like both of the games. But yes, PS2 only allows you to basically run from base to base. The only thing you alter really is the colour/flag on the base and map. Other than that, its just a massive game of capture the flag. It's pretty good for a quick FPS fix. I like it as I don't have to go through matchmaking like in other online shooters, well that and how huge some of the battles get!

On that note, I wish more people did enjoy PvP gameplay (of the open world variety), but I can truly understand why they don't.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

very likely the two most debated words in the entire gaming industry

sandbox

darkfall

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

sandbox

darkfall

you = out of touch

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Darkfall has politics, spies, mercs, thieves, merchants, world wars where the players divide on their own lines (not ones drawn by a dev), backdoor deals, betrayals, lone wolfs, and player / clan controlled territory.   These are all sandbox elements because all of the previously mentioned content was not determined by a developers keystroke, but because of the will of players.

Planetside is an MMOFPS with scripted sides in a never ending war scripted by the devs just for the sake of fighting.

Both are good games (I play and enjoy both), but one has sandbox elements because the content is completely player driven, while the other's content is scripted.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

sandbox

darkfall

you = out of touch

Hehe, indeed. Those are two words completely irrelevant to most of the gaming industry.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.