Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2 - game of the year on the IGN too

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by evilprey
    Best PC Graphics: http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Graphics

That is just ridicilous and shows that this award is biased on whether you like the game or not. I played TERA and GW 2 back to back and TERA is heads and shoulders above GW 2 in graphics department. It's not even a contest.

Yeah, I've been playing TERA with one of my friends lately and the graphics are freaking insane. Especially later on in the game.

Yeah, no one who looks at these two games objectively can say GW 2 has better graphics. No freaking way.

Even in aesthetics department, TERA is amazing. It got some awesome looking mobs in the form of BAMs that GW 2 cannot compare to. I will make a blog entry and show all the awesome looking mobs TERA has, specially later in the game.

I'd be curious to see how they stand up next to some of GW2's baddies, such as the giants, Tequatl, The Shatterer, Jormag, etc.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RecoreRecore Posts: 5,090Member Uncommon
    Guild Wars 2 got PC Game Of The Year. Thats nonthing special at all.
    Raptr Gamercard

What I meant is that Dynamic Event are like quest hubs in the sense that you look for them on the map, do them once (or twice) or not at all and then move on. Inspite of them being "dynamic" they have very little to no consequence to the online world and GW 2 was not the first to implement quests like this. WAR and Rift did it as well.

WvWvW is PvP in once large zone where you flip control points back and forth. That has been done a million times before and the only difference is that instead of factions you instead have servers which I dont see as a improvment. Factions are atleast different and have their own individual style, "worlds" are all the same.

These two features are novelties but nothing that special. Specially not enough to get rewards for.

Hmm... maybe you never got past the early levels regarding events. I've come across outposts that were completely overrun by enemies, and by the time I left the NPCs were back, merchants were merchanting, etc. and the place was in player control once again. Consequences. The next guy that comes along finds the outpost waiting his arrival, and perhaps he's drown into an event to protect it from whatever invaders are taking another crack at it. Yes, there is a finite cycle of events tied to it, but it beats the hell out of a static town full of NPCs worrying forever about an attack that will never come.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,498Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mannish

I find your opinion about their opinion less special.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

All these awards and accolades put me in a weird position, I don't know what to make of it all.

I have never hated something that the masses seem to love so much(aside from a few pop music examples).

GW2 is in the top 5 worst games I've ever played.  Does that opinion make me some kind of douche hipster? Am I missing its brilliance?

I truely cannot fathom how this game can have so much interest.  I guess that makes me ignorant.

Am I a tiny minority?

No. There are lots of us who are not fooled with the shinies of GW 2. Look past all the BS and "reviews" and all you got is a mediocre MMORPG altough it is a great single player game which is probably why it is getting all these rewards.

You are both still in the minority.... not tiny, but the minority.

It is getting all these awards cuase it is better than the games who lost the awards. Why? Well, that is opinion. This game definantly deserves these awards, especially when it comes to *just* MMOs.

I would say the opposite. As a "just a game" it should probably get all these rewards as it is a great single player game. But as an MMO? Nope, nothing special about it.

I would like to know what MMO you think deserves these awards more? Not tryiing to be rude, I just want to see your preferences.

For 2012? None (except Tera for GFX which is far better than GW 2s). But that does not mean GW 2 is particulary good, it just means lack of good MMOs released that year.

As for titles released other years, WAR was the first who introduced dynamic quests as Public Quests and it had the concept of being able to PvP to level cap without doing any PvE. Both of these were innovative at the time. More over it had other useful features like offensive and defensive targets and far more interesting class mechanics than GW 2.

SW:TOR had far better single player stories if you are into that.

TERA better GFX as mentioned.

Darkfall had better open world PvP.

DAoC had better faction PvP.

Rift was more polished and expanded on the Dynamic events concept.

PS 2 had better combat and did TERA.

The fact that GW 2 got so many rewards shows the stagnate state of the MMO genre other than anything else.

• RecoreRecore Posts: 5,090Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mannish

I find your opinion about their opinion less special.

Its not about opinion at all. The title of the thread makes it sound like Guild Wars 2 got the overall Game Of The Year. For PC other then Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 what else is there?

Raptr Gamercard
  • LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Waupun, WIPosts: 93Member Uncommon

Find it pretty funny that despite being out roughly 6 months now people still take the time to come to this forum and tell us all how GW2 is bad. Bravo.

Personally on the graphics thing, I think the art of GW2 should easily be included, and thats maybe why it got the award over Tera. I've probably seen thousands of art styles / concept art etc for games now and the loading screens of GW2 are absolutely the greatest eye candy I could hope for in a game. The same style bleeds into the game itself, especially in the very aesthetically pleasing UI.

(Side Note: As many like to reiterate over and over, it comes down to to each his own and often rewards are miracously handed out to undeserving games. Alas, we live in a world where these awards do actually matter because they create perception about a property, thus I'm glad GW2 is recieving accolades, especially over the biggest dissappointment in years: D3.)

Originally posted by LuciferIAm

Find it pretty funny that despite being out roughly 6 months now people still take the time to come to this forum and tell us all how GW2 is bad. Bravo.

And coming to this forum and tell "us" that GW2 is good, is different how exactly? Keep in mind that this post was about GW 2 being good and since this is not a GW 2 site, naturally people will disagree.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I really wished that this game would have been worth GOTY....

I was so overhyped for it for years, same with D3. D3 failed so bad. GW2 was allright. I really liked the starting areas, but the further I got into the game, the areas became more and more dull and boring.

GW2 is a game you complete and put on the shell. Sadly.

Depends on what kind of player you are, you seem to be the kind of player that play through one story on one character and get 100% world completion then the game is over.

I still play Guild Wars 2, the content is almost endless.

I'm not into discovering. I like seeing new areas, have something to achieve.

The engame areas are dull and boring. Cosmetic items are too "heavy grinding" to achieve.

Wow use 4 weeks to get a new helmet that does nothing wow.

I need a carrot.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• kutervkuterv BaselPosts: 28Member

I was so overhyped for it for years, same with D3. D3 failed so bad. GW2 was allright. I really liked the starting areas, but the further I got into the game, the areas became more and more dull and boring.

Depends on what kind of player you are, you seem to be the kind of player that play through one story on one character and get 100% world completion then the game is over.

The engame areas are dull and boring. Cosmetic items are too "heavy grinding" to achieve.

I need a carrot.

Yeah game rly boring after few month 

Nothing to do at all 

It is a nice game to spend 2-4 month on it but not more , afterwards it is dull .

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Dallas, TXPosts: 953Member Uncommon

When it was voted top in Time, many people said, "I'll wait for a real gaming site to give it something like IGN." 

Now that it has happened, the 5 people that religiously hate on the game on this forum will now say IGN is shit and worthless and ANet payed for it. It'll actually be funny to watch to be honest.

I was one of those people, and I expect more from the "journalism" that persists throughout the game enthusiast community. Like I've said in many posts prior, these GOTY awards are like grading on participation or handing out awards based on attendance. Personally, I wouldn't even mind if it continued winning the PC MMO GOTY's ad nauseum. My problem is that, when considering the overall PC market, GW2 is incredibly undeserving of two awards, when games like Dear Esther or Journey are largely ignored.

Best MMO? Sure, okay. GW2 exists, and it is indeed an MMO. Best PC game? Absolutely fucking not.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by kuterv

I need a carrot.

Yeah game rly boring after few month 

Nothing to do at all 

It is a nice game to spend 2-4 month on it but not more , afterwards it is dull .

I must be doing something wrong then. I only have 614 hours on my mesmer, 126 hours on my ranger, 128 on my guardian and a total of 976 hours total played and I still haven't seen everything or done everything, and still having fun and am still far from being bored.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ZalmonZalmon Bloomington, INPosts: 319Member

When it was voted top in Time, many people said, "I'll wait for a real gaming site to give it something like IGN." 

Now that it has happened, the 5 people that religiously hate on the game on this forum will now say IGN is shit and worthless and ANet payed for it. It'll actually be funny to watch to be honest.

When every other high profiled MMO including the one in your signature has been accused for paying to get awards and reviews why should GW2 get a free pass? let me guess because the 5 people that religiously praise the game on this forum  now feel that GW2 actually deserves it? sorry but you can not have it both ways.

If you guys didn't crap all over other's enjoyment in past 2 years you wouldn't be getting such a blow back in your face. You reap what you sow. If you know how to dish it out also learn to take it back.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member

People want everything now a days or they aren't happy.  Instead of saying, 'Grats to A.Net.' They say, WAHHHH - not my type of game - WAHHH.

I think there should be a rule, on all forums, that civility and never say a bad word type of sentiment be the number one rule. Oh wait, there wouldn't be any posts on the forum then.

Back to OT, TERA had mediocre graphics because ac you looked  in the background everything was blurry. It was one thing I didn't like about the game. The combat was fine to me and it was grindy but it was a decent game over all.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Originally posted by botrytis

People want everything now a days or they aren't happy.  Instead of saying, 'Grats to A.Net.' They say, WAHHHH - not my type of game - WAHHH.

I think there should be a rule, on all forums, that civility and never say a bad word type of sentiment be the number one rule. Oh wait, there wouldn't be any posts on the forum then.

I want you to delve a littler deeper, beyond the games and what it means to play them. Consider for a moment that the theory behind these products are human issues, and not solely related to gaming. I can understand how this can be a difficult thing to do. We play games for entertainment, and many people like to keep their enjoyment separate from their philosophy, when in fact the two collide on a very regular basis. Just on these forums alone, arguments between group oriented or solo play, what makes community and how to stimulate its growth, the business of selling hype or journalistic integrity, what it means to be immersed? These are underlying problems, questions, and theories that apply to nearly every other human interaction or activity when the gaming is stripped away.

So, no: we're not just talking about games. We're discussing philosophy and human nature, which is why you may take notice to certain individuals being less than civil from time to time. If everyone agreed that these forums existed only to speak of entertainment in a shallow, meaningless format, perhaps there wouldn't even be an MMORPG.com, a place that's thrived on the ability to foster debate.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly genevaPosts: 734Member

I really wished that this game would have been worth GOTY.... I was so overhyped for it for years, same with D3. D3 failed so bad. GW2 was allright. I really liked the starting areas, but the further I got into the game, the areas became more and more dull and boring. GW2 is a game you complete and put on the shell. Sadly.

totally agree

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Well, I voted for The Walking Dead in all the polls I voted on, so it's not my fault.

Anyway, I think it's good that an MMORPG has gotten general purpose video game of the year awards in so many places. It means the genre itself is expanding and reaching more people. It's becoming a 'standard' of video games. To me this says they'll keep getting made, which means there's going to be more variety in the available options. I didn't play GW2, but I'm looking forward to what eventually results from stuff like GW2 getting GOTY awards.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Well, I voted for The Walking Dead in all the polls I voted on, so it's not my fault.

Anyway, I think it's good that an MMORPG has gotten general purpose video game of the year awards in so many places. It means the genre itself is expanding and reaching more people. It's becoming a 'standard' of video games. To me this says they'll keep getting made, which means there's going to be more variety in the available options. I didn't play GW2, but I'm looking forward to what eventually results from stuff like GW2 getting GOTY awards.

I wouldn't mind an MMO getting a general purpose video game award if it had been a shit year for single player or multiplayer PC titles, but it wasn't. Personally, I feel like this is rewarding mediocrity, and if anything is going to result from that it's the continuation of the same behavior, right?

Originally posted by botrytis

I dont think GW 2 is a particulary good MMO and I dont think it deserves any rewards. How is that uncivil or bad to say that?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    Originally posted by lizardbones Well, I voted for The Walking Dead in all the polls I voted on, so it's not my fault. Anyway, I think it's good that an MMORPG has gotten general purpose video game of the year awards in so many places. It means the genre itself is expanding and reaching more people. It's becoming a 'standard' of video games. To me this says they'll keep getting made, which means there's going to be more variety in the available options. I didn't play GW2, but I'm looking forward to what eventually results from stuff like GW2 getting GOTY awards.
    I wouldn't mind an MMO getting a general purpose video game award if it had been a shit year for single player or multiplayer PC titles, but it wasn't. Personally, I feel like this is rewarding mediocrity, and if anything is going to result from that it's the continuation of the same behavior, right?

Not to put to fine a point on it, but your individual opinion doesn't matter. Mine doesn't either for that matter. What you consider mediocrity, many other people consider innovative or at the very least, fun. I'm not going to go into why, because really, I have no idea. I voted for The Walking Dead in every category it appeared in.

There will be more of the same. Of course there will. It happens in every genre of video games. More of the same with slight variations. There won't be nothing but the same though. As more MMORPG are made, developers will have to differentiate themselves more from the other games if they want their game to sell.

So overall, if GW2 was simply the least bad game, or the best of the best or was picked for political reasons, the end result will be more MMORPG getting made, resulting in more varieties of MMORPG getting made. I could be wrong...it could be so expensive and take so long to produce MMORPG that the genre never really gets past what it is now. This is just my opinion, and as I said, it doesn't really matter outside of my head.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

All these awards and accolades put me in a weird position, I don't know what to make of it all.

I have never hated something that the masses seem to love so much(aside from a few pop music examples).

GW2 is in the top 5 worst games I've ever played.  Does that opinion make me some kind of douche hipster? Am I missing its brilliance?

I truely cannot fathom how this game can have so much interest.  I guess that makes me ignorant.

Am I a tiny minority?

No. There are lots of us who are not fooled with the shinies of GW 2. Look past all the BS and "reviews" and all you got is a mediocre MMORPG altough it is a great single player game which is probably why it is getting all these rewards.

You are both still in the minority.... not tiny, but the minority.

It is getting all these awards cuase it is better than the games who lost the awards. Why? Well, that is opinion. This game definantly deserves these awards, especially when it comes to *just* MMOs.

I would say the opposite. As a "just a game" it should probably get all these rewards as it is a great single player game. But as an MMO? Nope, nothing special about it.

I would like to know what MMO you think deserves these awards more? Not tryiing to be rude, I just want to see your preferences.

For 2012? None (except Tera for GFX which is far better than GW 2s). But that does not mean GW 2 is particulary good, it just means lack of good MMOs released that year.

As for titles released other years, WAR was the first who introduced dynamic quests as Public Quests and it had the concept of being able to PvP to level cap without doing any PvE. Both of these were innovative at the time. More over it had other useful features like offensive and defensive targets and far more interesting class mechanics than GW 2.

The fact that GW 2 got so many rewards shows the stagnate state of the MMO genre other than anything else.

I understand. However, I find gw2 innovative in that it placed all these features together for a rather low price, and in a lot of cases expanded (or atleast attempted to) on these ideas. We simply differ in opinions, and I can respect that. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,800Member Uncommon

GW2 is a great game, some will like it and some wont.

I've never liked The Elder Scrolls series that much but I don't spend my time trying to convince others it is a bad game or bashing it.

The fact many spend their time reliougiously stalking GW2 only speak volume of the game stature and size - no one spend their time bashing small games.

Also, I'm sorry to say but I'vent seen many PC GOTY or overall GOTY awards for SWTOR.

Some of the contenders GW2 go against include:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Mass Effect 3

Dishonored

Dragon's Dogma

The Last Story

Torchlight II

The Secret World

FTL

Diablo III

Journey

Borderlands 2

Halo 4

Xenoblade Chronicles

CODBLOPS 2

ACIII

Yeah no good games at all, that has to be the reason GW2 is highly rated.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,800Member Uncommon

But SWTOR world and combat are: a static place and old combat systems.

But TERA PvE is worse, the world is dead as well and while the graphics engine is more powerful the art of GW2 is superior.

Darkfall is so good it has exactly 0 people on XFIRE playing it. Wait DF was shutdown and he is now in a beta for the reboot.

DAoC is also worse in everything else.

Rift world still feels dead and it still uses the "require target" to fire.

PS2 also has no PvE.

GW2 is just a better experience all around with a better combat than the majority of the games and it has one world that feels alive with NPCs moving around doing their business.

Again people answer to GW2 is to state a list of games and pick the best aspect of each and say in that aspect and that aspect only it tops GW2.

The problem is GW2 tops all those other games on the rest.

Full package that can and will expand/improve vs a detail.

Plus the uniqueness among those MMORPGs of not having a tank+aggro system.

And does any of those have such nice jumping puzzles? Or such good water combat?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member

If it just won MMO of the year, that would be a good question.  but GAME of the year?  Really?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Waupun, WIPosts: 93Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm

And coming to this forum and tell "us" that GW2 is good, is different how exactly? Keep in mind that this post was about GW 2 being good and since this is not a GW 2 site, naturally people will disagree.

Its a lot different...because frankly if you like the game of course you are going to discuss it. However, those that dislike it so many months after its even come out means they are actually taking the time to come to a forum for a game they dont like, to tell others they dont like it. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. If I dont like a game, I dont visit its forums when I'm not even playing it...During the first month of X being dissappointed about Y, understandable you may want to voice your frustrations, but MONTHS after? Lol.