Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively shows some honesty

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

This reminds me of my wife. If i tell her that her dress is ugly she wount believe me but if her friend tell he its ugly she'll change in a heartbeat.

Oh well what can you do.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by rwyan

I don't get it....

This type of journalism is crummy honestly.  The writer basically gives a very negative view on GW2 (some of which I agreed with, some of which I didn't) and then turns around and says that it is actually a very great game (and therefore deserving of their Game of the Year Award).

Well compared to the other mmos that launched this year how could GW2 not win ? Ofcourse that isn't saying much for GW2 but someone has to win right ? I think....

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

-I actually liked the crafting in GW2 but it (like most MMOs) is pointless

No it's not. I won't repeat my previous post, but this misinformation coming from people who obviously didn't test the feature toroughtly needs to stop. Crafting produces useful items at any level, if it didn't for you, then guess what... YOU did it wrong!

I kept myself pretty well geared as I was leveling through crafting - if you read further in my post it was a great source of XP and I did nearly 100% discovery to level it up.

What I found pointless about it was that I could just buy dropped gear off the TP or using Karma or buying sets via Racial vendors that had the same if not better stats for less investment of time/gold.

I haven't really played in a while, but like WoW and post-WoW MMOs the crafted gear is really just "option B" to gear you get as loot or from other such sources.

I have never been a big fan of crafting in MMOs - the only game I really liked it in was UO and it was because it was really like the only way to get gear.

So I'm one of those people that feels that unless everything is crafted by players, it's always pointless and second-fiddle to drops.

Huh. You actually drove him to deleting his account.

BAD SPOCK!!

GOOD SPOCK!!

Well mmorpg.com gain is gw2 forums loss because both creslin and korrigan are upto their usual antics over there and already getting insto same back and forth arguments which mirrored these forums.

Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

-I actually liked the crafting in GW2 but it (like most MMOs) is pointless

No it's not. I won't repeat my previous post, but this misinformation coming from people who obviously didn't test the feature toroughtly needs to stop. Crafting produces useful items at any level, if it didn't for you, then guess what... YOU did it wrong!

I kept myself pretty well geared as I was leveling through crafting - if you read further in my post it was a great source of XP and I did nearly 100% discovery to level it up.

What I found pointless about it was that I could just buy dropped gear off the TP or using Karma or buying sets via Racial vendors that had the same if not better stats for less investment of time/gold.

I haven't really played in a while, but like WoW and post-WoW MMOs the crafted gear is really just "option B" to gear you get as loot or from other such sources.

I have never been a big fan of crafting in MMOs - the only game I really liked it in was UO and it was because it was really like the only way to get gear.

So I'm one of those people that feels that unless everything is crafted by players, it's always pointless and second-fiddle to drops.

Huh. You actually drove him to deleting his account.

BAD SPOCK!!

GOOD SPOCK!!

Well mmorpg.com gain is gw2 forums loss because both creslin and korrigan are upto their usual antics over there and already getting insto same back and forth arguments which mirrored these forums.

let me show you my surprise face...

Please dont ban me lol. was just a joke =)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Normandy7

I don't get it....

This type of journalism is crummy honestly.  The writer basically gives a very negative view on GW2 (some of which I agreed with, some of which I didn't) and then turns around and says that it is actually a very great game (and therefore deserving of their Game of the Year Award).

Well compared tot he other mmos that launched this year how could GW2 not win ? Ofcourse that isn't saying much for GW2 but someone has to win right ? I think....

Why do publications even feel it's necessary to offer an MMO GOTY category for a genre that's had only a handful of releases in the last year? Maybe if some of these articles were clear on that aspect, that they're basically awarding mediocrity and have very little to choose from, I'd give them more credit for journalistic integrity.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Please dont ban me lol. was just a joke =)

I do hope the people saying "good" and the like get a nice big lump of coal in their stockings this year.

But...doubt it, TANFJ.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I don't get it....

Well compared tot he other mmos that launched this year how could GW2 not win ? Ofcourse that isn't saying much for GW2 but someone has to win right ? I think....

Why do publications even feel it's necessary to offer an MMO GOTY category for a genre that's had only a handful of releases in the last year? Maybe if some of these articles were clear on that aspect, that they're basically awarding mediocrity and have very little to choose from, I'd give them more credit for journalistic integrity.

Remember, MMO's are the big budget games. X-Box, etc don't seem to be. This is the reason for the awards, I mean there are Oscoars and very few movies are new (many of them are remakes). There HAS to be awards for these games as the companies, even if you don't like the games, pour their hearts and souls into them. A.Net is very passionate about GW2 as it was with GW1.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

-Roles are horribly underexplained and unclear

Would have to agree I suppose - I mean, there are ROLES? It's mostly just people doing whatever they can/want to hehe.  But that's actually something I like about it. There's great cohesion when you've got a group of friends playing who know how to work well together... otherwise it's a bunch of mavericks doing their best to survive.

-Dynamic events don't work in their role as quest replacements

The game could really benefit from some decent, actual quest chains aside from the dynamic events - I'd especially love to see the 'stumble upon' type of quests that The Secret World has, which are triggered by items you find laying about in the world.

-Area flow is problematic

I haven't found this to be much of a problem for me.

-Crafting is a freaking mess

I've yet to find an MMORPG where I enjoy crafting. Guess I'm simply not the crafting type.

-The story is weak

ABSOLUTELY true.  I'm so surprised by how much the stories of GW2 are NOT pulling me in.  For all the talk of story, it's really quite unmemorable.

That being said, I still find it to be a great, fun game.  However, if you're looking for awesome questing and GREAT, creative writing I'd urge you to give The Secret World a try.  Many of the missions are very memorable :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by botrytis

I don't get it....

Remember, MMO's are the big budget games. X-Box, etc don't seem to be. This is the reason for the awards, I mean there are Oscoars and very few movies are new (many of them are remakes). There HAS to be awards for these games as the companies, even if you don't like the games, pour their hearts and souls into them. A.Net is very passionate about GW2 as it was with GW1.

Sounds like the "everyone's a winner" philosophy.  I don't buy that.  It's certainly possible to try hard at something and fail.  It's also possible to work less than expected and succeed.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    My only real problem with Guild Wars 2 was that it was kind of boring.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I don't get it....

Its called objectivity. People are trained to think they have to either 100% love or hate something. Its an unfortunate byproduct of living in a capitalistic society. Its not human nature to always be all in or out about everything. But we are conditioned to think that way because its easier to sell.

Understood, and this is where the article fails for me...

It is one thing to do a very in-depth overview of each of the game's systems, pointing out the negative and pointing out the postive.  Highlighting where each feature fails and succeeds - especially if you are going to point out the game is in fact great, highly reccommended and very much deserving of "The" award.

What we have here is essentially a follow up review.  The review after the review.  And its contents lead me to beleive the author isn't exactly thrilled with the game.  So was the MNight Shyamalan twist at the end there for saving grace?

Its almost as if the author found out at the last hour that GW2 was awarded Game of Year by the very site he writes for.... and so.... left us with a very clumsy explanation as to why the game is "so great!" after just being told why it isn't so great.  

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by red_cruiser

How long have you played and what have you tried? There's plenty of different things to do. It's fully possible that it simply doesn't appeal to you however.

Have you done the Wintersday jumping puzzle yet? I find that one very nicely done.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I don't get it....

This is referred to as rewarding mediocrity. There certainly doesn't have to be awards for these games every year, and whether or not a developer is passionate or works hard for something should make very little difference, if any at all. Indeed, because advertising and marketing is so important to the MMO industry, I'm not saying that I'm surprised by publications releasing GOTY's. Monetarily speaking, there's a great reason for it, but I was under the impression that journalism was about uncovering truths, and not about making dat skrilla.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

First off I LOVE GW2. For me there is very little to hate about the game. Of course no gmae is perfect.

DE's are fun, and IMO a hellofalot beter than static questing. However there is room for imporovement. Perhaps a combination of the two where a quest line leads to a DE.  I'm no game designer but the people at Anet are smart and will certainly see the flaws also. Final word though is I'M NOT GOING BACK to kill ten wolves/rats.

The zones don't flow well.

I must admit I sometimes miss rolls. I play with some talented people but ambiguous rolls do lead to difficulty in high level content. Still it is nice to be able to complete most content with a group of any class configuration. I don't miss the shoehorning at all.

Crafting is VERY useful at all levels. I can make useful things from the outset. Unlike WoW and nearly every other game where crafting is nothing more than a  time sink.

To sum up. GW2 is not for traditional players. Fortunately there are more traditional gmaes out there. Do I think it deserves GotY,  ABSOLUTELY.!

Merry Christmas!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Massively, who just voted GW2 game of the year, is not rosey-eyed fanbois chees'n on the current hotness-

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/where-guild-wars-2-goes-wrong/

Have some pretty interesting and intelligent arguments against the game that I tend to agree with.

Pretty much highlights the issues I have with the game almost perfectly.

To pique your interest - the highlights in bullet point form-

-The story is weak

I think it is less that they are underexplained, and more that everyone thinks each profession will play a specific way that, if traits aren't allotted the right way, does not happen.

Hit and miss for me.  When I don't come across a dynamic event for a while, yea it feels like a poor quest replacement, but when I come across a big meta-event, it hits its quest replacement role out of the park

No argument here

Now here I disagree completely.  Crafting is very simplified, and the addition of discoveries is a welcome one.  The only problem I have found with crafting is how you pretty much have to farm certain materials

-The story is weak

Again hit and miss.  Love the first part of the Asura story, hate the first part of the Norn story, and thats just a minor example.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I disagree about crafting. It is very good in gw2. one of the best I've encountered.

I mainly agree about personal storyline though. I like the lore but imo people resposible for personal storyline in gw2 should be fired and ANet should stop trying. I feel like all the work and money they put into it was such a waste. imagine how better it would be if instead they made some smaller 1hour long cool instanced quests. I'm sad that we will probably see another "chapter" of that abomination in 1st expansion.. ugh. So much wasted money.

I think part of the problem is contrast. Most parts of the game are amazing and then we have something so incredibly mediocre that it looks far warse than it probably is.

About the other points.. it's the same problem people had since beta. the game isn't explaining things good enough for some.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by QSatu

I disagree about crafting. It is very good in gw2. one of the best I've encountered.

I mainly agree about personal storyline though. I like the lore but imo people resposible for personal storyline in gw2 should be fired and ANet should stop trying. I feel like all the work and money they put into it was such a waste. imagine how better it would be if instead they made some smaller 1hour long cool instanced quests. I'm sad that we will probably see another "chapter" of that abomination in 1st expansion.. ugh. So much wasted money.

I think the porblem is the PS could have used more money not less. They decided to money into game play - both PvE and PvP rather than the PS area. That may be your issue.

I have found the PS - up to level 50 very compelling, then they all blend together and that is where I have the issue.

Originally posted by red_cruiser

kind of a huge problem if you ask me. But like i said before. Some will see it just like you do and others will not.

I don't get it....

This is referred to as rewarding mediocrity. There certainly doesn't have to be awards for these games every year, and whether or not a developer is passionate or works hard for something should make very little difference, if any at all. Indeed, because advertising and marketing is so important to the MMO industry, I'm not saying that I'm surprised by publications releasing GOTY's. Monetarily speaking, there's a great reason for it, but I was under the impression that journalism was about uncovering truths, and not about making dat skrilla.

Not in this case at this time of the year. All these "most popular" lists are always done at this time of year and are ALWAYS subjective. ( No truth needed )

Best MMO 2012 GW2

Hottest man alive 2012 Channing Tatum

Hottest wonen alive Mila Kunis

Best Movie of the year. dont think they listed it yet.

The list goes one and on year after year after year. In the end these lists mean nothing.

Congrats to GW2 for winning GOTY whatever that means. And congrats to the winner next year and the year after that.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by grimal

Massively, who just voted GW2 game of the year, is not rosey-eyed fanbois chees'n on the current hotness-

Have some pretty interesting and intelligent arguments against the game that I tend to agree with.

I saw that and agree.

I saw that and agreed too bt the game with all its flaws is still one of the best ever made.  Just imagine how awesome it would be with those flaws fixed?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

-The story is weak

Really? They bash the game so hard , but hey, let's give it "Game of the Year" because quite frankly what else is there? Goes to show how pathetic 2012 was in the MMO world.   Seriously , if we compare 2012's releases to GW2 , then yeah GW2 is a pretty freaking amazing game. Compare GW2 to releases since 2008 , it barely makes the top 20.  All in all , one game has to win GOTY , so it's a toss up.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

"please guide me im to lazy/stupid to find my own path"

skimmed trough the linked article and it looks like a lot of the  review is a ode to "i need my babysitter in a mmo" tough the points regarding problems with questing once less play and interface for crafting are true

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

From those opinions I only agree with the story issue. Though that's just my opinion.

Oh and I will say the game can always be better, its a good start least for me so eh well.

Oh my I almost forgot...enjoy life and peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

-The story is weak

Really? They bash the game so hard , but hey, let's give it "Game of the Year" because quite frankly what else is there? Goes to show how pathetic 2012 was in the MMO world.   Seriously , if we compare 2012's releases to GW2 , then yeah GW2 is a pretty freaking amazing game. Compare GW2 to releases since 2008 , it barely makes the top 20.  All in all , one game has to win GOTY , so it's a toss up.

gW2 would win with any mmo released since WoW easily, even with it flaws. there is no competition.

Originally posted by QSatu
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

-The story is weak

gW2 would win with any mmo released since WoW easily, even with it flaws. there is no competition.

Arent opinions great?