Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating the "next big mmo" made by players

13»

Comments

• jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Ciano
    Didn't you read the caps? He wants to pay for his artwork.

Might start with hiring a lead artist, I suppose.  But if he doesn't have an engine yet, he needs real coders to build one, or buy one and adapt it.

I heard the 'Hero Engine' is available. XD

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• CianoCiano Not telling, HIPosts: 34Member
    I believe he's looking for concept artwork as opposed to 3D art. Concept artwork is normally hand drawn or done in Adobe Photoshop.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by jpnz I heard the 'Hero Engine' is available. XD

Yup.  One of several available, in fact.

But starting with animators strikes me as an essentially backwards approach.  Art Style tends to be a "near the end" consideration.

And unfortunately, 3D artists no longer work for beer & pretzels money.  They're in higher demand than that.  And they certainly don't work for free (you can try to hire some Interns, I guess, before they graduate).

Not a bad plan really, all of the "work in gaming!" podunk colleges are churning out batches of "animator" people who will shortly be unemployed.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KenFisherKenFisher Northwest, INPosts: 5,035Member Uncommon
    Didn't you read the caps? He wants to pay for his artwork.

Works.  Sorry, I misread that and thought the OP was asking for free artwork.

@ OP:  Try the Developers Corner Help Wanted.  I'm sure there are several talented artists who are qualified to help.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Insane666Insane666 gdanskPosts: 65Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by pauly6478

I would also like to add that my inspiration comes from a game I belive to be one of the best games ever made called Anarchy Online.  ,,,

want to create a mega-sandbox mmo inspired by Anarchy Online? 

damn man, i like you already

as a fellow AO fan i can only say, GO for it and i hope you can achieve what you claim you can

Insane666 / Insanity666

Rubi-ka 1 (Atlantean)

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• mistmakermistmaker viennaPosts: 271Member Uncommon

i also would have tons of ideas

mobs played by players, when they do damage they get xp and can play better mobs. finally world or raid bosses?

must be fun, logging into a rat (swarm) hunting for lv 1 heros

quests only by other players....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo This is a few examples how a really good mmorpg could look like.

Good.  Do you have a Server Farm available?

About done peeing in the wheaties for the day, just this last one to add: Don't become a member of the "completed mmo but no one wants to buy it" club.

There's a fair number of these startup guys running around the gaming conventions every year, trying to find a Major interested enough in supporting their game with hardware infrastructure.  Building a fair-sized server farm is generally a bigger expense than all of the software development combined.  More to it than just the servers; access to enough throughput from the internet, routers, power backup, nanana.

SOE used to rent out their excess server capacity, back in the day.  But they're carrying a lot of titles right now, there may not be more to be had.  EA probably has some excess capacity available.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 6,389Member Rare
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Pauly this reminds me of a line from Monty Python. Despite everything they told me I build my 1st Castle in the swamp and it sunk. So I build a second castle on top of it and it fell down and sunk into the swamp. I build my 3rd castle on top of that and it burned down, fell over, and then sunk into the swamp. But the 4th Castle, the 4th Castle I built stayed up!   Pauly my friend. There will always be people who say you will fail. You will probably fail. If you learn from your failures and use it to build the product that you envision then it may one day be what you want it to be. Thats why scientists use trial and error to to make discoveries.   Short Version: Screw the man. Make your game. Even if it burns down, falls over, and sinks into the swamp on the 3rd try. Because the 4th one might just stand up.

I think the lesson is: Listen to those smarter than you and don't build your castle on a f***ing swamp!

/win

The OP doesn't want to listen to the advice in this thread.  How will it turn out when the real work starts?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• pauly6478pauly6478 binghamton, NYPosts: 276Member
    Originally posted by XAPGames

NOW I WILL POST IN CAPS TO HOPEFULLY GET THE POINT ACROSS. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO PAY FOR THEIR ARTWORK. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON HOW TO RUN MY COMPANY.  SO PLEASE KEEP IT ON TOPIC.

So why didn't you just come out and say "I have a mega-idea for a game, I want free artwork"?

Because I dont want free I willing to pay :]

Originally posted by Insane666

I would also like to add that my inspiration comes from a game I belive to be one of the best games ever made called Anarchy Online.  ,,,

want to create a mega-sandbox mmo inspired by Anarchy Online? 

damn man, i like you already

as a fellow AO fan i can only say, GO for it and i hope you can achieve what you claim you can

Insane666 / Insanity666

Rubi-ka 1 (Atlantean)

I remember you :] good guy right here 

If I could make AO2 that would be a dream come true 

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe N/A, NYPosts: 221Member Common

NOW I WILL POST IN CAPS TO HOPEFULLY GET THE POINT ACROSS. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO PAY FOR THEIR ARTWORK. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON HOW TO RUN MY COMPANY.  SO PLEASE KEEP IT ON TOPIC.

So why didn't you just come out and say "I have a mega-idea for a game, I want free artwork"?

I must also ask why do you require this artwork? You currently have no lore or story, no direction besides "Sci-Fi MMO", and no programming capabilities to implement a block-game executable.

Who needs images of people running in decked out Halo-like armour on a planet shooting alien chickens if the game is mostly about space travel for instance? If you want models, what are you going to apply them to? Without even a functioning game you've no use for that awesome looking alien. Instead of starting off a giant monster like an MMO with random concept art, you should start with lore and features. It's easier to make a cover of the book when you have the pages of a book itself.

Here, I'm going to give you a link of how to write a simple major MMORPG.

Here's a minor one.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Beale, CAPosts: 227Member
    If you're using MMORPG.com for recruitment, your project is already doomed. It's terribly cruel to piss on someone's dream, but OP, you need to wake the fuck up before you end up bankrupt. 
  • GrimulaGrimula north vancouver, BCPosts: 401Member Uncommon

Doesnt it cost a million dollars to make a MMORPG ? haha or more

do you have a Million dollars ??

if so carry on my good sir

Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

I must also ask why do you require this artwork? You currently have no lore or story, no direction besides "Sci-Fi MMO", and no programming capabilities to implement a block-game executable.

Who needs images of people running in decked out Halo-like armour on a planet shooting alien chickens if the game is mostly about space travel for instance? If you want models, what are you going to apply them to? Without even a functioning game you've no use for that awesome looking alien. Instead of starting off a giant monster like an MMO with random concept art, you should start with lore and features. It's easier to make a cover of the book when you have the pages of a book itself.

Here's a minor one.

In regards to EZPZ77 you think looking for gamers on a gaming website is a bad decision? Shall I check the local food market next time?

Oh I said I have no story line? I said I had no direction? I said I have no lore? I said I have no programmers working for me? I believe I said I will be hiring more at a later date lol. Perhaps you should read my post and not the others posts people have just made up ideas about without knowing any information? I read through a lot of these posts and see all sorts of assumptions. I feel as if perhaps the industry is in need of a Educational MMO. Perhaps something that gives xp based on reading?

As for those who have kept this post logical and made nice comments, I thank you. For those who have PM'd me we do have professionals working on this project which will be working directly above you but we here really want to get the ideas of "you" the gamer. It's simply a checks and balances we wish to keep in this company so fresh ideas are tossed around and the gamers get to have a choice and say as to what is added.

I won't be posting anymore in regards to this thread as it has gotten way off topic. 

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe N/A, NYPosts: 221Member Common
    Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

Here's a minor one.

In regards to EZPZ77 you think looking for gamers on a gaming website is a bad decision? Shall I check the local food market next time?

You shouldn't be looking for gamers to make a game, you should be looking for artists, software engineers, musicians, and whatnot. If you wanted gamers, thats Quality Assurance, and wheres the QA if there is no game?

Yeah, some people here know how a game is made or how to draw their fave character in a game. However, these forums are not the place to look for quality work. Players want a quality game.

Oh I said I have no story line? I said I had no direction? I said I have no lore? I said I have no programmers working for me? I believe I said I will be hiring more at a later date lol. Perhaps you should read my post and not the others posts people have just made up ideas about without knowing any information? I read through a lot of these posts and see all sorts of assumptions. I feel as if perhaps the industry is in need of a Educational MMO. Perhaps something that gives xp based on reading?

Show us the direction. Show us the programmers you currently have on the project. Which primary language will the game be in? The topic was made as if you've thought of it for weeks and only are now planning on taking action by hireing artists. I would gladly offer my services in any way provided there was a good background. What kind of art are you asking from people? You're assuming that you can create a wide-scale MMO with the ability to cater to the players but you have provided absolutely no background besides "I thought of it for a long time and I'm a guy who sees things through to the end." That is not enough for me to enlist my services, nor is it enough for people to take you seriously. Atleast knowledge of fundings will get you some positive interest, cause we're all thinking you're just a person with a decent-to-good job.

As for those who have kept this post logical and made nice comments, I thank you. For those who have PM'd me we do have professionals working on this project which will be working directly above you but we here really want to get the ideas of "you" the gamer. It's simply a checks and balances we wish to keep in this company so fresh ideas are tossed around and the gamers get to have a choice and say as to what is added.

I won't be posting anymore in regards to this thread as it has gotten way off topic. 

The thread has been on topic all this time. You're making an MMO while attempting to hire artists. We're discussing the rest of your MMO so we could atleast have a direction as to how such a massive game will appeal to the players.

This is an example of doing a help-wanted right. Next time, try the Developers' Corner.

My sincerest apologies from the very beginning, but I've joined into the discussion to get you to think about all the other aspects than artwork.

• ArtalisArtalis Reno, NVPosts: 17Member Uncommon

I have a crazy idea.

Why don't we just take the OP at his word and realize that this post is him asking for gamer-artists who are interested in selling concept art to contact him.

He hasn't asked for anyone's opinion about the right way to start building an MMO and I for one certainly understand wanting to get gamers in on the ground floor of the project.

He might be full of it or he might not, but he's not asking for anyone's money, he's looking for people to pay. 

So how bout everyone just take a nice deep breath and chill. Maybe even cheer the guy on. What's it gonna hurt?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 16,619Member Epic
    There are many things I want to tell you about the game that are so original no other game has thought of it but well that would result in someone stealing my ideas. So we will just have to see.

No one is going to steal your ideas.  Professional game developers have ideas of their own that they like better than your ideas, no matter what your ideas are.

But even if someone did steal your ideas, wouldn't that be a good thing from your perspective?  Then the game you want would get made, without you having to put in all the work to make it.

• Mister_ReMister_Re Detroit, MIPosts: 142Member
    That actually sounds fun. I might try to work that into a project this year.
13»