Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, I got an email from Black Isle today....

RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

And I promptly facepalmed so hard that I nearly KO'd myself. If this has been posted before, I apologize. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just head to their site at http://www.blackisle.com and prepare to be shocked, disgusted, amazed, or any combination thereof.

For those who can't view the page, I'll sum it up: They're using some incredibly overdone Mayan calendar doomsday gimmick to raise money for themselves. Know what you get for $10 and up? Forum access, a forum badge, and a 'Certificate of Merit'.

Know what you get for $20 and up? Forum access, a SILVER forum badge, and a 'Certificate of Valor'. That's IT.

Even if you donate $100 to these people, you still only get FORUM ACCESS. That's right, you don't even get a copy of the game they're touting! YOU HAVE TO BUY THE GAME SEPARATELY!

Now here's the funny part... the only thing they have on the site regarding the game (other than the video where the devs are talking about the game) is a feature list. THAT'S IT. No concept art, gameplay footage, or even a CGI trailer. Nothing. You are expected to support these people based on a FEATURE LIST ONLY.

I don't... I don't even know where to start with this. I am absolutely disgusted by this incredibly blatant money-grabbing. This is crowd funding at its absolute worst. Hell, they didn't even go through kickstarter to do it. They just set up a site (which looks very amateurish, BTW) and started begging for money.

I was willing to give the 'new' Black Isle a chance but after this, no thank you. I'm staying far, FAR away from these people. I hope anyone with a sense of decency would do the same.

I would also like to apologize for the rambling nature and poor grammar of this post. Just wanted to rant a bit about this before heading off to bed, will probably come back and clean it up after some sleep, lol.

Comments

• CianoCiano Member Posts: 34

You get offended easily don't you? I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they setup. Although I think they should re-order their website with the explanation at the top instead of the bottom.

You see money grabbing attempt? Here is what I see.

I see Black Isle and by extension interplay studios reforming itself. Both extremely popular gaming companies back in the 90's that made games that everyone loved. I see a company that loves the fallout IP and the post apocolyptic genre trying to raise funding in the hopes that enough old Black Isle fans contribute to keep them independent of financial backers who will ultimately force them to release a crap product before it's ready.

I see a chance to donate money to a company that I think would produce a great product and they are offering me a chance to be part of the PRIVATE developement process. Not beta, not Alpha. I'm talkng the pre-design phase so you can help influence the game from the ground up.

If you actually read their statement they explicitly state that PV13 is not going to be a released game. It's meant to be a proofing prototype to based the actual game on as groundwork. They can't give you a copy of a prototype that isn't meant to be a game. They would be promising something they can't deliver.

Ultimately in these situations, the developers typically reward contributors with other stuff later on when they actually have somthing to reward them with. Right now, they can't promise anything and it would be foolish to do so.

Don't want to contribute don't. I don't think it's warrented to kick and scream like an infant and cry scam when that isn't exactly what is going on.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Ciano

I see Black Isle and by extension interplay studios reforming itself. Both extremely popular gaming companies back in the 90's that made games that everyone loved.

I have never heard of them.

If you actually read their statement they explicitly state that PV13 is not going to be a released game. It's meant to be a proofing prototype to based the actual game on as groundwork. They can't give you a copy of a prototype that isn't meant to be a game. They would be promising something they can't deliver.

Taking money for something that will never be released - OK!

Harbinger of Fools
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I knew BI from my Amiga still ^^

When i went to the website, i thought "WTF what a joke is this" until i realised about Project V13.

The OP obviously couldnt see it :p

Originally posted by Dakeru

Yep it is ok. Do you know why? Because they telling you exactly what the money is being used for. It's optional. They are not forcing you, coehersing you, nor are they trying to scam you.

They want to get back in the business. In order to do so, they are trying to raise money to fund the creating of a tech demo with all the basic systems in place and a basic functioning world. They will then use that to attract further investment so they can use that to release a high quality finished product.

The best part is

wait for it..............

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DONATE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO!

The fact that the OP is offended by this website is a problem with him, not a problem with the game company.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Well they already got a list of people who contributed with loads of moneyz. Now I'm thinking on doing the same. Just setup a site and advertise a would be developed game... awesome.

Now that I took a look, maybe they are really developing a game.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I see Black Isle and by extension interplay studios reforming itself. Both extremely popular gaming companies back in the 90's that made games that everyone loved.

lol if you never heard of Black Isle or even Interplay, you either are too young and wasn't born when they were making games, you don't play any RPG's or you just never realise that they published one of the greatest games ever, Baldur's Gate, as well as some other really good RPG's.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Didnt majority of the Black Isle devs move over to Obsidian or something because they didnt get paid?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by SirFubar

lol if you never heard of Black Isle or even Interplay, you either are too young and wasn't born when they were making games, you don't play any RPG's or you just never realise that they published one of the greatest games ever, Baldur's Gate, as well as some other really good RPG's.

Ah the "too young" card played on me. Didn't have that for quite a while.

Well it's either that or I stopped playing at the first Inn cause I was so incredibly bored with the combat system.

Well you guys go and give them money at the VERY VERY first stage of development.

I mean how long could it possibly take until they release something? 5 years?

Harbinger of Fools
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

If you've never heard of them, let me guess, your under the age of 18 aren't you?

The company behind both Baldur's Gate games, the Icewind Dale Series, Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, etc. 

I'm a bit skeptical that the Black Isle guys can recreate the magic without Feargus and Avellone, etc.  Yet Black Isle's pedigree is probably one of the strongest in PC gaming ever.

Originally posted by SirFubar

Well it's either that or I stopped playing at the first Inn cause I was so incredibly bored with the combat system.

Well you guys go and give them money at the VERY VERY first stage of development.

You never answered the question about age.  :p

And that's fine if you didn't like the games.  You were one of the few during that time who didn't think the early infinity engine/fallout games were some of the greatest in RPGdom around.

Originally posted by Castillle
    Didnt majority of the Black Isle devs move over to Obsidian or something because they didnt get paid?

They were laid off as Interplay was going Bellyup.  Their founder and a few of the other devs (mainly Avellone and Urquhart) went and formed/worked for Obsidian.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Lol,I got the email,first thought was that it had something to do with the Fallout mmo interplay was trying to make til all  the bruhaha with Bethseda.Clicked on it went to the page and for some reason I thought it was some browser game based off of this Mayan thing and left immediately without reading it.I might have to wander back to their website and read a bit more lol.

It really boils down to one question.

Do you trust Black Isle enough to donate money to see if they can recreate the magic of their previous games in an innovative new way?

A. Yes (donate or don't)

B. No (don't donate)

I think it's silly to knock them for wanting to raise enough money to get a workable tech demo done before they find a publisher is just silly.

I believe in "trust but verify."  I think some of those minds have the innovation to do some interesting things.  Some of the things they are talking about bringing into an RPG would be interesting.

Yet they've got nothing beyond some concepts being thrown around in their head.  in the end, I need a bit more than that.

When Obsidian came out with details about Project Eternity, they had an outline of what was going on, the tech was relatively familiar, the goals were outlined, etc.  They gave people something to work with, and people ate it up.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

You opened yourself up to it with your other post. Not surprising him and others will says as much.

As for the OP, don't see the problem although I doubt their new endeavor will live up to the expectations of those giving them money.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Lol i can by forum access! (rather burn my money for warmth)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

(points and laughs at the "Hero board")

*giggle*

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Your not buying anything. Your making a donation.

Granted the Hero board is a bit stupid. But being able to watch the developement of a game and comment on it from start to finish might actually be interesting for some people.