Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG you've never played

There are a lot of choices when it comes to picking MMORPGs to play.  Some appeal to each individual more than others, and people of course have genre specific preferences too.

So my question is, what is the best MMORPG that is released that you have never played?

A game you've heard about constantly, but perhaps is a different genre than you enjoy, or has a feature you can't stand.

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

HKO  :)

...to be honest, for me atleast, If there is even the slightest bit of interest, nothing will stop me from looking. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

This doesn't even make sense.

Not to blow my own horn but in the thread I started its about the best MMORPG people have experienced. How the heck would anyone know how good it is in their opinion if they never played it?

Thats like saying I know you were born in 1995 but tell me about your experiences of the 1960s.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

No sure if it really applies as I have tried to play the game a number of times...

EVE

It is a good looking game, well designed, has stuck to its design without caving in to demand from other genre's, have a very complex and appealing crafting, character development and trade structure...

But every time I try to play the game I get bored stiff and honestly cannot stand offline levelling as an idea. I find every time I try EVE I choose something to level up and then go play another game waiting because it is more exciting to do so.

I certainly understand how people can get drawn into the game but I play for fun, seriously when I play, but for fun and EVE has always felt too much like work.

Plus a friend of mine years ago played EVE a lot and really put me off the game. He was married, with a kid, didn't work, just played EVE all day. Couldn't get a job because of it. No game should do that to a person.

So my vote if for EVE as it is everything a game should be except fun (for me).

Originally posted by Maelwydd

No sure if it really applies as I have tried to play the game a number of times...

EVE

It is a good looking game, well designed, has stuck to its design without caving in to demand from other genre's, have a very complex and appealing crafting, character development and trade structure...

But every time I try to play the game I get bored stiff and honestly cannot stand offline levelling as an idea. I find every time I try EVE I choose something to level up and then go play another game waiting because it is more exciting to do so.

I certainly understand how people can get drawn into the game but I play for fun, seriously when I play, but for fun and EVE has always felt too much like work.

Plus a friend of mine years ago played EVE a lot and really put me off the game. He was married, with a kid, didn't work, just played EVE all day. Couldn't get a job because of it. No game should do that to a person.

So my vote if for EVE as it is everything a game should be except fun (for me).

That doesn't count my friend. The guy is asking what's the best game you've never played as in you never installed it and have no experience with it. Basically tell us how much you enjoyed the game you never played even 1 second of it.

Mind blowing isn't it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

FFXI

Always wanted to check it out. But it launched same time as SWG and I never got around to it. I will probably get it next time Im feeling the urge.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

For me it might be Fallen Earth.

I've heard and read of it having interesting crafting, classless systems, and quite the open world.

Never played it because I don't really enjoy post-apoc game genre.  I prefer straight up sci-fi, or fantasy mostly.

Also for those trying to get a Handle on this thread, it's just for people to talk about games they've heard are decent, but why they chose to not even try them.

It's meant to be a bit lighthearted, but yes if you feel you can't accurately decide on an advanced rating scale for games you haven't played and this totally kills your asperger fueled OCD about which one to pick to write, then sure, no need to contribute.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see people say "Always heard X was good, didn't try it because Y" if that's not too much to axe.

Originally posted by Zyzra

if that's not too much to axe.

Oh you little trickster and your chicanery.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Guild Wars 2

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

WOW

GW2

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    SWG for me. By the time I was ready to try something other than EQ because I hit a standstill with my progression, I'd already heard about the Combat Upgrade through the grapevine in EQ and how it wrecked a big portion of the game. Never really gave it a lot of thought after that.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Ultima online, didn't get into MMO's until EQ.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        Its a tie between classic DAoC and pre-NCU SWG.....I never played either but according to alot of posters here they were the two greatest games ever created......
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    Ultima online, didn't get into MMO's until EQ.

Hahaha dont let the people here fool you...UO was a disaster until Trammel came along...Before that people jsut lie in wait outside the gates of Brittain and ganked everybody.....It was a brutal game that only appealed to a few.....ALot of us were thrilled when EQ came along and gave us a real game to play.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    What's the smartest thought I never had?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Arglebargle
    What's the smartest thought I never had?

Oh I know the answer to that one!

"The thoughts of anyone else"

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Given how much nostalgia people have for it, I'm curious what the harvesting/crafting in SWG felt like in practice ... there's only so far my imagination can extrapolate from reading old documentation and I'm still not completely sold on it from the raw theory.
  • Le_NickLe_Nick Member Posts: 6

World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2.

Especially the second one. ;)

Youtuber & Gamer!
    Come and check me out:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TwoGamingDogs

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Aion , maybe..
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Guild Wars 2.

Best for the masses, as briefly it topped WOW on Xfire charts when it released.

Probably not best for me though

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

GW2 which I know I won't play  and I regret that I did not try to go past first 1 hour of SWG.

I am going to try TSW though... in small doses LOL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Given how much nostalgia people have for it, I'm curious what the harvesting/crafting in SWG felt like in practice ... there's only so far my imagination can extrapolate from reading old documentation and I'm still not completely sold on it from the raw theory.

There were many ways to harvest. For minerals you took a survey device, and scanned for the highest percentage, and then drive around until you find it, and then drop a harvestor into the world, fill it up with maintenance and power, then go off and do other things, come back in a couple of days empty it out and if the resource had dried up either select another resource or pack it up. If the maintenance ran out which ticks down in real time, the harvestor would show smoke, then fire, then vanish. If the power ran out it would just stop working. There were various different harvestors for the varying resources and different sizes, also the quality of the harvestors affected extraction rate too

Here are a couple of Heavy Mineral Mining Installations I placed into the world

The resources also had varying quality stats, so even if you find a resource you want, it may not be good enough, and then have to wait  a few weeks for a better spawn

From creatures, you could harvest meat, bone, hide and milk from females. You could search lairs for eggs

It required a lot of time and dedication, and some servers had better resources than others. If you get addicted to the crafting this was enough to keep you subbing, I will get the best resource soon.

The crafting was quite complex, and had to stand in front of a crafting station, and pick outr your best resources. Copper is best for conductivity and steel is best for shock resistance and unit toughness

Thanks for posting that, superniceguy.  It was an interesting read, and I had forgotten or never really known about a lot of that.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

World of Warcraft

I've never tried to claim that 10 million people are wrong, it's the flagship MMO of the industry as far as success. I just never played it. Trial twice, I couldn't get in to it.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Best MMO ever released is DAOC by several miles.... That is the game i had the most fun in best RvR/PvP mmo ever made
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Vanguard, Saga of Heroes -

Great graphics (*), huge gameworld, awesome classes and combat system, and really tough and wellmade raids.

(*) Yeah its no longer new, but it still is breathtaking quality, especially the realistic viewing distances.