Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2 - game of the year on the IGN too

evilpreyevilprey CalafatPosts: 67Member Uncommon
IGN has revealed its "Best of 2012" winners, and we are honored to have received the top spot in three categories:

Best PC Game: http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Game

Best PC MMO game: http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_MMO_Game

Comments

• evilpreyevilprey CalafatPosts: 67Member Uncommon
  • eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    grats to Anet, I'm sure glad that people are giving it the credit it deserves.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member Uncommon

I really wished that this game would have been worth GOTY....

I was so overhyped for it for years, same with D3. D3 failed so bad. GW2 was allright. I really liked the starting areas, but the further I got into the game, the areas became more and more dull and boring.

GW2 is a game you complete and put on the shell. Sadly.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• janjanahmetjanjanahmet TekirdagPosts: 7Member
    Guild Wars 2 BEST GAME
  • AlberelAlberel LondonPosts: 1,121Member

It's not like GW2 had any real competition in terms of MMOs in 2012... giving it best game though... actually were there any really great PC games in 2012?

Winning awards when there was no real competition makes the award somewhat worthless...

• MagnetiaMagnetia SydneyPosts: 1,029Member Uncommon
    GW2 is a solid fountdation for them to build on. Solely in terms of potential GW2 blows a lot of the competition out of the water.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by Alberel

It's not like GW2 had any real competition in terms of MMOs in 2012... giving it best game though... actually were there any really great PC games in 2012?

Winning awards when there was no real competition makes the award somewhat worthless...

Make sure that you point out which games are such weak competition that GW2 won by default.  Maybe you could tell us how bad a game has to be to make winning GOTY worthless?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

• FailtrainFailtrain QueenstownPosts: 129Member
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Make sure that you point out which games are such weak competition that GW2 won by default.  Maybe you could tell us how bad a game has to be to make winning GOTY worthless?

He's only expressing his disappointment in the PC Games of this year, settle down maaaaan; the world is ending soon.

Originally posted by Failtrain

He's only expressing his disappointment in the PC Games of this year, settle down maaaaan; the world is ending soon.

Your problem with my post is what exactly?

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I was so overhyped for it for years

That's your problem you get to hyped that nothing will come close what you have imagine it.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo HindPosts: 662Member

I was so overhyped for it for years, same with D3. D3 failed so bad. GW2 was allright. I really liked the starting areas, but the further I got into the game, the areas became more and more dull and boring.

GW2 is a game you complete and put on the shell. Sadly.

Depends on what kind of player you are, you seem to be the kind of player that play through one story on one character and get 100% world completion then the game is over.

I still play Guild Wars 2, the content is almost endless.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,503Member Uncommon

When it was voted top in Time, many people said, "I'll wait for a real gaming site to give it something like IGN." 

Now that it has happened, the 5 people that religiously hate on the game on this forum will now say IGN is shit and worthless and ANet payed for it. It'll actually be funny to watch to be honest.

• ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon

Well the 4 other nominees tht IGN put GW2 up agaimst  pretty much sum that up now dont they ... FTL and Hotline Miami..lmao stop it .. TL2 is an ok game and Walking Dead a niche game ..

Plenty of good games they intentionally left off .. just read down the thread ... the majority dont agree and question the lack of effort ...

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member

GW2 is a game you complete and put on the shell.

I don't know what you mean my "complete", but I'm also spending some time daily looking for karka shells for the ascended backpiece. Unless you mean the karka shell trinket... I put that on after completing the ancient karka mega-event...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott BristolPosts: 433Member

All these awards and accolades put me in a weird position, I don't know what to make of it all.

I have never hated something that the masses seem to love so much(aside from a few pop music examples).

GW2 is in the top 5 worst games I've ever played.  Does that opinion make me some kind of douche hipster? Am I missing its brilliance?

I truely cannot fathom how this game can have so much interest.  I guess that makes me ignorant.

Am I a tiny minority?

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by evilprey
    Best PC Graphics: http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Graphics

That is just ridicilous and shows that this award is biased on whether you like the game or not. I played TERA and GW 2 back to back and TERA is heads and shoulders above GW 2 in graphics department. It's not even a contest.

Originally posted by QuicklyScott

All these awards and accolades put me in a weird position, I don't know what to make of it all.

I have never hated something that the masses seem to love so much(aside from a few pop music examples).

GW2 is in the top 5 worst games I've ever played.  Does that opinion make me some kind of douche hipster? Am I missing its brilliance?

I truely cannot fathom how this game can have so much interest.  I guess that makes me ignorant.

Am I a tiny minority?

No. There are lots of us who are not fooled with the shinies of GW 2. Look past all the BS and "reviews" and all you got is a mediocre MMORPG altough it is a great single player game which is probably why it is getting all these rewards.

It was the same thing happening when SW:TOR was released. It got praise coming out of its ass but in the end it showed what a mediocre MMORPG it actually was. GW 2 is better but still nothing to write home about, in regards to MMORPG features.

Same thing we have seen a million times before but now in a new package. Dynamic Events and WvW are nothing but your ThemePark quest hubs and instanced, no-consequence PvE and PvP we seen in other triple A ThemeParks.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,503Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota

That is just ridicilous and shows that this award is biased on whether you like the game or not. I played TERA and GW 2 back to back and TERA is heads and shoulders above GW 2 in graphics department. It's not even a contest.

Yeah, I've been playing TERA with one of my friends lately and the graphics are freaking insane. Especially later on in the game.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member

Am I a tiny minority?

No. There are lots of us who are not fooled with the shinies of GW 2. Look past all the BS and "reviews" and all you got is a mediocre MMORPG altough it is a great single player game which is probably why it is getting all these rewards.

You are both still in the minority.... not tiny, but the minority.

It is getting all these awards cuase it is better than the games who lost the awards. Why? Well, that is opinion. This game definantly deserves these awards, especially when it comes to *just* MMOs.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Am I a tiny minority?

It is getting all these awards cuase it is better than the games who lost the awards. Why? Well, that is opinion. This game definantly deserves these awards, especially when it comes to *just* MMOs.

I would say the opposite. As a "just a game" it should probably get all these rewards as it is a great single player game. But as an MMO? Nope, nothing special about it.

Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, I've been playing TERA with one of my friends lately and the graphics are freaking insane. Especially later on in the game.

Yeah, no one who looks at these two games objectively can say GW 2 has better graphics. No freaking way.

Even in aesthetics department, TERA is amazing. It got some awesome looking mobs in the form of BAMs that GW 2 cannot compare to. I will make a blog entry and show all the awesome looking mobs TERA has, specially later in the game.

Am I a tiny minority?

It was the same thing happening when SW:TOR was released. It got praise coming out of its ass but in the end it showed what a mediocre MMORPG it actually was. GW 2 is better but still nothing to write home about, in regards to MMORPG features.

Same thing we have seen a million times before but now in a new package. Dynamic Events and WvW are nothing but your ThemePark quest hubs and instanced, no-consequence PvE and PvP we seen in other triple A ThemeParks.

Swtor wasnt out for even a month when goty awards came out, so that is hardly a far comparison. How the Dynamic Events are implemented is a nice change, and the game lacks the traditional quest hubs you mention, as DEs specifically get rid of those. WvWvW is simply large scale PvP made to replace Open World PvP. Fun is determined by the player of course, but I just want to point out what was wrong with you statement. :D Also, quit editing >.> Made me post twice.

Am I a tiny minority?

I would say the opposite. As a "just a game" it should probably get all these rewards as it is a great single player game. But as an MMO? Nope, nothing special about it.

I would like to know what MMO you think deserves these awards more? Not tryiing to be rude, I just want to see your preferences.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member

Am I a tiny minority?

You're definitely in the minority, but then again there's no one game that appeals to everyone so it's really not a big deal if you are. But hate? Seems a pretty strong emotion to waste on something that is virtual. It's possible you dislike it because there are other styles of MMOs that you prefer. It's also possible that you haven't given yourself the chance to understand the game in it's own element. Only you can answer that, and even that's not guaranteed... some people dislike things without ever knowing why. It's human nature.

I'm in the opposite boat. My inner fanboy absolutely has a blast playing this game. The combat flows for me like no other I've played, the lack of trinity is freeing and allows a situational awareness missing from archaic trinity models, the event system has killed any desire to ever see a quest-bang adorned NPC standing there telling everyone how many boar livers he needs (Dude, they're right there, kill the damned things yourself!)...

You like what you like, you don't what you don't. Go have fun having fun with what you have fun with.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Am I a tiny minority?

Swtor wasnt out for even a month when goty awards came out, so that is hardly a far comparison. How the Dynamic Events are implemented is a nice change, and the game lacks the traditional quest hubs you mention, as DEs specifically get rid of those. WvWvW is simply large scale PvP made to replace Open World PvP. Fun is determined by the player of course, but I just want to point out what was wrong with you statement. :D Also, quit editing >.> Made me post twice.

What I meant is that Dynamic Event are like quest hubs in the sense that you look for them on the map, do them once (or twice) or not at all and then move on. Inspite of them being "dynamic" they have very little to no consequence to the online world and GW 2 was not the first to implement quests like this. WAR and Rift did it as well.

WvWvW is PvP in once large zone where you flip control points back and forth. That has been done a million times before and the only difference is that instead of factions you instead have servers which I dont see as a improvment. Factions are atleast different and have their own individual style, "worlds" are all the same.

These two features are novelties but nothing that special. Specially not enough to get rewards for.