Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Smedley: MMOs 'Are Stagnant and Stuck in This Model'

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Smed is all talk. The proof is in the pudding, I will believe what he is saying when he releases some solid info / footage of EQNext.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I wanted to listen to someone who says what I want to hear, I would listen to a politican.

Well SOE did bring out Planetside2 so that saved Smed's reputation a little bit imo.

Which puts them above EA for me atm.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I can't do another MMO in the current themepark/indie sandbox fashion.

I offer no criticism because I can not back it up with a solution.  Everything I thought would fix my disinterest in the currect offerings fell short.  I may be among the first to admit I don't know what I want as a consumer - but I do know that nothing on the market really thrills me.  They're not even close calls.

I strongly recommend to all developers to hold your cards close to the chest and see how things play out with this final batch of MMORPGs coming out, I think the time of beating this dead genre are coming to a close and people's wearyness with it all are coming to a head.

With that being said, thank god.  With any luck an MMO crash will ensue and all the cash-grab companies will move on and we'll return to days when innovative companies with original ideas can step up to the plate without being overshadowed by companies that spend more on advertisment schemes than development.

/andtheniwokeup

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How great would it be with all the trash talk about SOE if they end up being the ones to bring back the sandbox on a large scale. The haters would be butt hurt to the extreme since they all vowed not to touch SOE ever again.

Man, i would collapse laughing.  LIterally fall out of my chair laughing. Especially since so much of the soe/smed hate is totally unfounded.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I don't want to play Farmville: EQ Edition... Thanks, though.
  • health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    CAMP CHECK ?
  • ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I like what he is saying, but I know where it is coming from. This man has made a living saying 1 thing and doing another. I also find it partuclarly funny that he bashes the current batch of games, which for the most part all follow the themepark model. The Irony is Smedley is arguably the father of themeparks for his role in EQ1. 

I am inclinded to think he is reading comments that gamers like all of us are saying and throwing them back in our direction in an effort to tell us what we want to hear. I will care when he actually does what we want, not when he says it. 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Consequence

I like what he is saying, but I know where it is coming from. This man has made a living saying 1 thing and doing another. I also find it partuclarly funny that he bashes the current batch of games, which for the most part all follow the themepark model. The Irony is Smedley is arguably the father of themeparks for his role in EQ1. 

I am inclinded to think he is reading comments that gamers like all of us are saying and throwing them back in our direction in an effort to tell us what we want to hear. I will care when he actually does what we want, not when he says it. 

Exactly this.

He and his evil partner in crime, Dave Georgeson (Smokejumper) and their marionette, Holly Windstalker, have had an abrupt change of tune in the last 6 months.  They are regurgitating key phrases and words over and over that their community and the gaming community at large has been clamoring for.  Its a PR stunt.

Everyone for the last 5 years has been moaning about the complete failure of the current MMO offerings, their boredom, and "what would make a MMO succeed".  ANet latched onto this and used a lot of hype and spin to attract millions of disgruntled gamers, promising to be different, to truly make a game for the players.  Smedley is doing the same thing. 

I fell victim to GW2's overhype and walked away extremely disappointed.  I have over a decade of history with EQ, EQ2, Smedley and his little band of sycophants so I know very well how they do business.  They love to spin a merry tale of promises and the general track record is of disappointment, usually resulting in a burned, angry mass of paying customers that get ignored and left in the dust.

Now, as I said I have over a decade with them and chances are that I will be there with the others for the first day of EQN.  I truly love EQ.  The game and community are awesome.  The management, not so much.  So, while I may love to hate Smedley and the way he runs the show, you can't beat the depth and awesomeness of Norrath. 

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Who really cares what Smedley has to say?  Hello, let me remind Smedley of a little game that came from the minds of folks like Raph Koster.  A game that was WIDE open with, arguably, one of the single most valuable licenses on the planet.  A game where every piece of loot was made by a crafter in the community and where the best on any one server was completely different from every other server because not every resource spawned equally across all servers.  Remember that game Smedley?
    Let's see, what did Smedley do with this game?  Fired everyone that argued against making this game into a wow clone.  Gutted everything unique about the game, stripped out every piece of work that every player had done, then had the nerve to say that it was all the player's faults that they had to do this.  And now, NOW, Smedley wants to say its in a rut?  A rut that HE CREATED?  Smedley can take a flying leap off a bridge along with all of his vile lies and nonsense.  Smedley can go s**k a horse's c****.
    Originally posted by SBFord

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has some advice for the future MMOs: "to change the way we do this", even including Sony's games in the statement. Most MMOs today are stuck in the current model of developing content that is quickly eaten up by locusts. This, according to Smed, has to change.

"We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them. It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set."

Read more at Polygon.com.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    How great would it be with all the trash talk about SOE if they end up being the ones to bring back the sandbox on a large scale. The haters would be butt hurt to the extreme since they all vowed not to touch SOE ever again.

Won't happen, Smedley killed the sandbox.  Eod.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by severius

Won't happen, Smedley killed the sandbox.  Eod.

How so? Because lucas forced them to put the NGE into SWG?

Do believe it was the gamers that destroyed mmorpg's in general. Compare the two.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by SBFord

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has some advice for the future MMOs: "to change the way we do this", even including Sony's games in the statement. Most MMOs today are stuck in the current model of developing content that is quickly eaten up by locusts. This, according to Smed, has to change.

"We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them. It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set."

Read more at Polygon.com.

If anyone believes anything that Smedly says well then I have ocean front property in Arizona for you to buy.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

As long as he isn't blowing smoke up our tail pipes, I like what he's saying.  I believe redemption is possible.

And give us back Precu SWG.  Call Disney. 

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    It sounds like he is just latchng onto the latest f2p and gw2 fotm wave --- what a shocker.  Sandbox doesn't necessarily mean it will be fun. Guarantee that there will be the old familiar quests -- just disguised or zone triggered like gw2.  Trinity will be there.  BoP will be there, BoE will be there.  Illogical nature systems and geographic flow: there.  Pointless cut scenes: present. 10% of game taken up by introductory movie that nobody watches: there. Same crap, just stirred up differently.
    Originally posted by allendale5
    It sounds like he is just latchng onto the latest f2p and gw2 fotm wave --- what a shocker.  Sandbox doesn't necessarily mean it will be fun. Guarantee that there will be the old familiar quests -- just disguised or zone triggered like gw2.  Trinity will be there.  BoP will be there, BoE will be there.  Illogical nature systems and geographic flow: there.  Pointless cut scenes: present. 10% of game taken up by introductory movie that nobody watches: there. Same crap, just stirred up differently.

Well if its a true sandbox it wont have zones to worry about, cut scenes, or any other bad features from themeparks.

Tired of instances, zones, raids, dungeons all set up for a small group. Not very "massively" lol. But F2P and sandbox...... thats a horrible combo. Too many limitations in F2P model for a successful sandbox.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

John, your one of the reasons the MMO industry is "stuck", as you say, in it's current form. These are the words you should have said to your Bosses when they told you to make SWG more "Mainstream".

Unless your making another SWG(the original version) your game will fail, period.

There was a time I slept, worked and played mmo's..now, I sleep and work...

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Just a side note after my previous comment, Crafting is center stage(ala, crafting resource GUALITIES change) or your new game wont last 3 months.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Terranah

As long as he isn't blowing smoke up our tail pipes, I like what he's saying.  I believe redemption is possible.

The problem is, is that hes always blowing smoke up our tail pipes. He's the reason SWG died, hes the one who authorized the release of NGE, and then lied that it was approved by LucasArts. He's also the reason that Vanguard Saga of Heroes is such a dismal failure. He rushed the game to launch completely ignoring the fact that it has more bugs in it than WinME.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Well I agrre with smedley, but question is if they are going to succsess making eq3 a different game or they will surender to pvp gamers like all other games have dunn lately. MMorpg's are game over for me, but I might give this next eq a change since soe makes good games,and maybe Smedley has a point:-)
    Originally posted by akiira69

The problem is, is that hes always blowing smoke up our tail pipes. He's the reason SWG died, hes the one who authorized the release of NGE, and then lied that it was approved by LucasArts. He's also the reason that Vanguard Saga of Heroes is such a dismal failure. He rushed the game to launch completely ignoring the fact that it has more bugs in it than WinME.

Think this is wrong lol

Vanguard:

Sigil games Online actualy made and released this game at start. SOE was only a co-publisher.THough some of SOE designers did help make VG, it was actualy released by Sigil and acquired by SOE months later. So Smedly was not at fault here.

SWG:

Julio Torres the producer for Lucasarts was the one that made the NGE happen. He has mentioned this in letters, blogs, and interviews. Not the only game he has ruined from LA btw ;) SOE went along for the ride, i do not blame SOE for this. LA was greedy and wanted a WOW success and hurt 400k+ sub players.

Originally posted by Onomas

Think this is wrong lol

Vanguard:

Sigil games Online actualy made and released this game at start. SOE was only a co-publisher.THough some of SOE designers did help make VG, it was actualy released by Sigil and acquired by SOE months later. So Smedly was not at fault here.

SWG:

Julio Torres the producer for Lucasarts was the one that made the NGE happen. He has mentioned this in letters, blogs, and interviews. Not the only game he has ruined from LA btw ;) SOE went along for the ride, i do not blame SOE for this. LA was greedy and wanted a WOW success and hurt 400k+ sub players.

Vanguard was written by Sigil games. I did an early beta and at that time microsoft was supposed to handel servers and billing for the game,but for some reason microsoft gave it up leaving sigil with no options,then they got soe to take care of those servers and billing things. Game did not succsess and sigill went bankrupt, and they sold the game to soe,end of story.

Originally posted by Vidir

Think this is wrong lol

Vanguard:

SWG:

Vanguard was written by Sigil games. I did an early beta and at that time microsoft was supposed to handel servers and billing for the game,but for some reason microsoft gave it up leaving sigil with no options,then they got soe to take care of those servers and billing things. Game did not succsess and sigill went bankrupt, and they sold the game to soe,end of story.

And this is smedley's fault how so? Since your entire rant was about him.

And the game was released in Jan, SOE didnt take over until march-may.

Think this is wrong lol

Vanguard:

SWG:

Not Smedleys fault at all but microsoft's fault leaving Sigil with allmost redy game and no cash.So did good things with this game the first 2 years then they gave it up.

"When I did beta test Vanguard very early it was on microsoft servers and I did contact microsoft support for helping me with problems I had in this early beta, that was very good support took les than an houre to get responce from a helpful staff. never understood why microsoft gave up Vanguard."

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by health001
    CAMP CHECK ?

LOL i would love to see that again.

Think this is wrong lol

Vanguard:

SWG:

Not Smedleys fault at all but microsoft's fault leaving Sigil with allmost redy game and no cash.So did good things with this game the first 2 years then they gave it up.

"When I did beta test Vanguard very early it was on microsoft servers and I did contact microsoft support for helping me with problems I had in this early beta, that was very good support took les than an houre to get responce from a helpful staff. never understood why microsoft gave up Vanguard."

Oh thought you were akiira guy replying lol. My bad. His post was about smedley killing SWG and VG lol.

My apologies.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

The only reasons a publisher gives up on a title they have sunk a lot of money into it is the game was a money sink and there is no way they think it can return the investment or the developer violated terms of the agreement they made to obtain funding.