Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] PlanetSide 2: The MMOFPS Gold Standard

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by JR4D

Review to me was spot on image

Now we will see a surge of other MMOFPS trying to replicate what PS2 has.

I think it's ideas has already started to be copied even before PS2 went into beta.

There was another game (can't remember it name) in development that is trying to do similar sort of thing.

Good concept smart people can always smell it from a mile away and copy it even before it is on the market. The Dyson Bladeless Fan is another perfect example.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Overall I would say this game is in great shape and has started on the right foot.  Hopefully they don't add pve though.  If they do and I see a bunch of my teammates farming mobs for some BS crafting mechanic or exp  then I'm going to farm those teammates for TKs until they ban me becuase by then I won't care.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Take PS, remove all the strategy, change the game to instant-action-COD-cookie-cutter, remove most of the vehicles, homogenise the troops into classes (i.e. remove choice in builds), dumb down....well...everything, improve the graphics and you have PS2.

PS had a subscription fee, after playing PS2 for a while i realise now how great the value of PS was by comparison.

The sick thing? PS2 is a hell of a lot of fun :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CosbySweaterCosbySweater Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I have only played PS1 and was wondering if PS2 offers any reason to hang out at an owned base that is not being attacked?  I remember in PS1 just constantly moving on to where the action was.  You take over a base, leave it a ghost town, and move on to the next one.  I still had fun doing that but was curious if PS2 offered anything more at bases that PS1 did not have.  I will check it out one of these days.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Currently the only reason to stay a bases you own is to defend them and reap the +15% bonus XP in that area (the game doesn't clearly tell the players this). So if there is a massive war waging on at a Bio Lab that you own, you are going to be raking up more XP than someone capturing a small outpost with no opposition.

Review: I thought it was good and I appreciate the time they have take to be through. My vote for game of the year was Planetside 2. I've had more fun in this MMO than any themepark could deliver.

Oh and now is the best time to start playing if you haven't. Tomarrow through Jan 2nd you get double XP and tomarrow is TRIPPLE station cash. Have fun!

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

this is a game that absolutely has to be played with a good outfit (guild) to get the MOST enjoyment from it. a full platoon of four squads can hold a popular objective (like The Crown) for hours. that said, recent advancement of hacker technology has diminished the enjoyment of many players. it is VERY difficult to account for everyone in a F2P game when you need only to create a new account. 

i know SOE is working very hard to limit the cheats, and has banned many players/accounts. even Smedley admits that 90% of reported players are legitimate...some warping and other anomolies happen regardless. even so, i've been having an absolute blast playing, and i am a TERRIBLE FPS player. i play an engineer and drop ammo for my mates and get kills when i can...still loads of fun. 

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    PS2 is amazing and I'm quite surprised at how much I enjoy it. 

When in doubt, troll.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    It seems alot of people enjoys PS2. Me and my friends, though, we all hated it. To me it felt like a less polished version of Battlefield. To me it didn't feel like an MMO at all. I had hoped it would have less action and more exploration and open world feeling. But my expectations were probably based mostly on thin air...
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

is this game actually in a state to be played? all i keep seeing on it is either someone saying its the best thing since man found fire and sex.. to it being the biggest piece of trash since the trashcan. 

how is the cheating currently? has that dropped at all or is it just going to be like APBR where its a hit and miss some days you get cheaters other days you dont ?? :/ 

i thought about trying it but i get tired of every fps iv tried that is freedium to any extent being a cheatbox. i got enough of that from CS1.6 and combat arms to kill the cosmos...

• eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37

The PS2 have good F2P system, so do browser based game SOE runs. that could not be sad about EQ models thou 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Ichmen

is this game actually in a state to be played? all i keep seeing on it is either someone saying its the best thing since man found fire and sex.. to it being the biggest piece of trash since the trashcan. 

how is the cheating currently? has that dropped at all or is it just going to be like APBR where its a hit and miss some days you get cheaters other days you dont ?? :/ 

i thought about trying it but i get tired of every fps iv tried that is freedium to any extent being a cheatbox. i got enough of that from CS1.6 and combat arms to kill the cosmos...

The game is more than playable - it just needs tweaked here and there, a few things added, and they really need to crack down on the hackers.  I do not think Smedley and his team and doing a good a job at getting rid of hackers as they say they are because I keep seeing and reporting the same ones(so does everyone else).   All in all for a free game - it cannot be beat.   It is an absolute blast just to get in and mix it up.  

Tonight we had a huge and I mean huge infantry battle going on at the Crossroads.  NC trapped bewtween the TR and Vanu.   It was total chaos.  We'd push the Vanu back on one side, then switch and push the TR back on the other.   That kept us busy for half the night.   A whole lot of fun.    :)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    If this is the same graphics engine SOE are going to use for EverQuest Next, then I ca't wait!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

I am sorry.... but Polish: 8 ???? 

Have you tryed to play it in beta, and then play the final game? coz when games launched, there were MORE bugs then in beta. 90% of players at Beta forums told them, that the game was not ready yet, ... but SOE did not care what we had to say. 

And all the bugs that were reported in beta, only 25% of them were fixed. 

And yes, they did some small things, to add 5-10 FPS, but go look on the forums, Crash, render problems, aimbots/cheaters, cashshop problem, server lag.... and the list goes on... even Hi-end pc systems only runing the game with 20fps, coz game is not optimazed yet. 

Yes, some can run it on ultra, but thats like 1 out of 100 who have a hi end system. 

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE the game, but i have hard time finding the will to play it, when there so many small things that makes it a half finish game. 

give it 5 more month, and do another review... maby then you can give it 8. now its only 5

And no, Social: 9 ?

This is a Free FPS game. so if you find a good outfit, and fight with you are all good. but the rest of the server, are small COD/BF3 Kids, who like to talk big word, if they die one to many times. 

"Thankfully, the game features a robust squad management" It does? do tell me MORE about how damn buggy this thing have been in beta and 1 month efter game goes live? Just wrigting down what ever SOE pays you to write.. is not a good way to review a game. 

"Can you think of another MMOFPS that offers three-way PvP on this level and scale? I can’t!"

I can, it called Planetside 1, you know.. the game from 200x or so.. if i can think about a FREE fps that have that scale, then no, i cant.  but this is not a NEW thing... 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    this is a terrifically fun game.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Ichmen

The game is more than playable - it just needs tweaked here and there, a few things added, and they really need to crack down on the hackers.  I do not think Smedley and his team and doing a good a job at getting rid of hackers as they say they are because I keep seeing and reporting the same ones(so does everyone else).   All in all for a free game - it cannot be beat.   It is an absolute blast just to get in and mix it up.  

Tonight we had a huge and I mean huge infantry battle going on at the Crossroads.  NC trapped bewtween the TR and Vanu.   It was total chaos.  We'd push the Vanu back on one side, then switch and push the TR back on the other.   That kept us busy for half the night.   A whole lot of fun.    :)

Mostly agree, just think they need to do more to prevent that kind of thing in the first place, as its one of the things that ruined PS1 in the end, but what is borderline acceptable for a F2P game, would be wholly unacceptable for  P2P one. Things i would like to see improved in game though, are the Base captures/defences, at the moment its just ridiculous, ideally would also like to see Engineer being redesigned, was my favourite from PS1 and in PS2 its just a joke, but as base defence is less than ideal at the moment too, maybe thats why they didnt bother with making engineers all that useful for defence image

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Umm has anyone even PLAYED the first Planetside.  PS2, while a fun at times FPS, is NOT EVEN CLOSE to an MMOFPS.  

In order to make PS2, SOE took PS1, removed EVERYTHING that made it a unique and fun FPS, kept everything that made PS1 suck, then crammed as much BF and CoD as they could legally muster down the games throat, and then wrapped it in a really pretty package.

Planetside 2 can be fun, I enjoy it at times, but never, NEVER put it anywhere close to Planetside in terms of innovation, originality or gameplay.

PS2 is nothing but a giant no frills FPS.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,745

Been playing this one so will rate it:

Aesthetics 7: And that’s a higher score than it needs, this is a shooter not a rolling fields MMO. The lack of variety in the guns is the one thing that sticks out.

Gameplay 8: Balanced and varied the gameplay is top notch.

Innovation 8: This shows how few games not just MMO’s we get that show any form of innovation. SOE is re-releasing a game from years ago and it gets an 8 because there are so few alternatives in gameplay out there.

Polish 8: Everything is working fine with but a couple of glitches.

Longevity 9: I think the game has a very good longevity because it does not rely on a non existent end game.

Social 6: The game is very group based, but communication between players is minimal. To a certain extent that is because this is a shooter. You can’t rate the social as high as you get on a proper MMO. The Outfits do not seem to be a strong in game as I thought they would be, with guilds not being as strong the Social aspect is bound to be wanting.

Cash Shop 6: Rather than give a Value rating these reviews should give a cash shop rating. Or are the reviewers wary of contention? You can buy all weapons, but you cannot by any upgrades to weapons. You can buy boosts for speed of gaining xp and so on. So there is a strong pay to win element in the cash shop. But you can get anything with Xp that you can with cash. Also the infantry weapons you can buy are not game changers, they seem to offer less benefits than the upgrades in B3 for example (which in turn are not game changers). If they had a sub model they would not have needed a pay to win element, but once you have F2P and a cash shop that’s what you are going to get.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

And honestly, this review smells like a paid advertisement.  Either the writer never actually played PS1, or he is just another one of those ultra Battlefield/Call of Duty fanbois.

There is not ONE SINGLE MECHANIC from PS1 that made it fun(I know PS1 had a lot of issued, but most of those where technical/server issues, not gameplay issues).  

They removed the soul of PS1 by removing all the original MMO/RP elements.  The looting system, the bases that made sense from an RP element(really who the fuck would made spawn rooms outside and away from the main base that needs to be defended), multi-crew REQUIRED tanks(driver just drove the tank, making for amazing, mobile tank battles, as opposed to the current stand and shoot until someone dies).

Just so many things that should have migrated from PS1 were removed in favor of the cliche, old, overused and downright boring mechanics that players have been seeing since Battlefield 1942 and the first CoD game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I hate cod and see nothing of cod in ps2

Now, battlefield 2 is probably an influence yeah, but the major influence is still ps1.

Now there are some things I miss from ps1, like more continents, being able to lock continents and the bridge battles.

Some of the issues are being addressed, they are making new continents, they are working on making it a seamless world and joining the continents with sea warfare rather than bridges.

They are also looking at stuff ps1 didn't have like continents where outfits build and own bases and fight over resources to build and maintain them. Sandbox continents as opposed to the traditional rvr continents.

Also mmorpg is correct when they say this hasn't been done on this scale before.

Ps2 supports 2000 players per continent. Ps1 didn't it was a smaller player cap.

As for hackers, well you get them in all mmos and all fps, anything with multiplayer really, I don't think ps2 is particularly bad for it, I think the problem is players are used to more closed in shooters like cod so when they get shot by a guy they can't see the think "hackers". I have a habit of flying up trees to forward spot / snipe, I've been accused of hacking several times because fps players unless they've played ps1 or tribes are just not used to looking up.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Put it this way i encountered more hackers in warhammer and gw2 and a lot more hackers in vanilla counterstrike and apb.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Also mmorpg is correct when they say this hasn't been done on this scale before.

Ps2 supports 2000 players per continent. Ps1 didn't it was a smaller player cap.

2000? have u tryed to be in the fight where there are 2000ppl around u? Game right now can only render 100 or so around you, så good luck spoting the rest 1900 who are shoting you in the face, and game dont render them for you. 

Game is ful of bugs, and have huge performence problems... 

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I love Planetside,totally love it and played the original for 8 years.  I love both, and what they have done with Planetside 2 is truly epic on scale of combat.  As far as innovation, from Planetside 1 to Planetside 2 I personall think they have taken a step backwards.  Planetside 1 was a much more free, open ended game.

I love the game, I love both..they are two very different games atm.  I would like to see a lot of the old mechanics implented in some way into Ps2..Like LLU bases, drain hacking, NTU system, vehicle hacking, ams bubbles, sanctuaries rather than empire WGs, inventory system, backhacking, better base defenses, CE, weapons range, vehicle range, tutorial system for new players, and some what of a story.  I know that in some shape or form a lot of this will reappear in Ps2 as Smed has already hinted.  As of now it is kind of irritation for PS1 vets becauce the game has been "dumbed" down a bit.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Originally posted by jedensuscg

Umm has anyone even PLAYED the first Planetside.  PS2, while a fun at times FPS, is NOT EVEN CLOSE to an MMOFPS.  

In order to make PS2, SOE took PS1, removed EVERYTHING that made it a unique and fun FPS, kept everything that made PS1 suck, then crammed as much BF and CoD as they could legally muster down the games throat, and then wrapped it in a really pretty package.

Planetside 2 can be fun, I enjoy it at times, but never, NEVER put it anywhere close to Planetside in terms of innovation, originality or gameplay.

PS2 is nothing but a giant no frills FPS.

I hate COD and BF but love PS2 and its nothing like those games.

No I didnt like PS1 at all. There was something not right with it, probably that they tried to do something at a time where the hardware wasnt there to support it.

PS2 is really good and fun and deserves 8+ scores. And it is the best MMOFPS

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    planetside 1 was way better in my view.it was/is unique.this feels like BF
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

My friday end of the world prediction.  The word did not end but this game will go the route of DCUO.