Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't get back into WOW

I've been messing around with a 10 day trial of pandaria, and I cannot find the spark that led me to play previous expansions.  I play the game and get bored of it in about a half hour.  My characters seem cookie cutters, rather than the unique beings I played before, and the general feeling I get of the whole thing is "Meh"

Guess I want to know what others are finding so great about this expansion.  The game is still solid, but not interesting for me.

Comments

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

Felt the same way when I played the free trial yesterday. Got bored within 30 minutes and logged off for good.

The reason isn't even the same old questing system, I think it is the lack of challenge that bored me. Collect 10 and kill 10 quests aren't even the cause for this.

The game is stupidly easy, everything is marked for you, you cannot die unless you are a complete retard, you can press any button without thinking because you will always win, the mobs aren't dangerous, there are no group quests, for pvp servers there is no conflict with your enemy faction so no pvp in the world, world still feels empty etc...

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I cant get back into it either.

I played for two days when cata came out, and two more days last December, and thats it.

I really cant explain it.

Edit: typos. (lousy touch keyboard).

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Im happy enough levelling via bgs

Hate CRZ though.

Its only by default though no other mmorpg seems to make me happy right now.

Will try DF unholy wars when they decide to release it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have lost track at how many times i tried to play Wow.

The term SOLID game is ok by me,but i don't pick my games based on solid,i need uniue and atr least some ideas that are ab ove and beyond the normal.

When i or anyone plays Wow it offers nothing above and beyond either in looks,game play or depth or technically,so Solid yes,top notch no.

Once a game bores people for a long time 2/3/4+ years,one xpansion is not likely to change anything.

BTW the term "boredom" does not say the game is crap,it just means it has nothing to remove the boredom feel while wandering around.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Pet battles are soooo much fun I was shocked. Like a whole separate game.

• citan79citan79 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I couldn't get back into and came to terms with the fact that WoW is closed  chapter in my gaming career.  IT was great and still is but I moved on.
  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    It was once a great game (If it's broken, don't fix it!), I agree with your view on the boredom OP, I too tried the MOP trial hoping for the best. I really detest being spoon fed. It has become a game for the 12 year old market.
  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Pet battles are soooo much fun I was shocked. Like a whole separate game.

QED

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk
     It has become a game for the 12 year old market.

Average age of male US Wow player is 29 years old

Average age of female US Wow player is 32 years old

Source

(Unless you have a more recent survey?)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Tried the trial, enjoyed myself far more than I thought I would.  Resubbed.  Have been enjoying myself for over a month now.

They added a lot more content for a lot broader audience, EVERYONE I ever knew is playing WoW right now.  Its like the golden age of World of Warcraft.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Tried the trial, enjoyed myself far more than I thought I would.  Resubbed.  Have been enjoying myself for over a month now.

They added a lot more content for a lot broader audience, EVERYONE I ever knew is playing WoW right now.  Its like the golden age of World of Warcraft.

I thought I was burned out on MMOs.  I couldn't stand playing GW2 after the first month, I returned to try to level an alt in SWTOR and found that boring.  I'm a LOTRO lifer and got really bored after the first level in the new expansion and haven't returned.

I enjoy WOW around xmas and decided to take them up on their ten day trial.  I leveled my main and alt as far as the trial would allow, one XP below level 86.  I then leveled my DK from 73 to the same point.  After that I leveled a monk to about 35.

So much for MMO burnout.  I still haven't bought MoP and haven't subbed.  But it's the only them park MMO I find enjoyable these days.  I could easily see myself running dailies, LFR, dungeons and heroics, trying the pet battles and leveling alts through dungeons.  I can't even contemplate playing GW2 or SWTOR any time soon.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by VGTheory

My characters seem cookie cutters, rather than the unique beings I played before,

There was nothing unique on the builds previous to pandaria because everyone needed to have a specific build por raids, a specific build for pvp, a specific build for anything. Now it obviously look cookie cutter because of the massive change of talents but now every talent you try helps you in some way. It has less talents but it actually has more options.

Regarding the last part of your post, "game is still solid but not interesting for me". That is why you cant fully go back. You are burned out of this game to a point it just dont call your name anymore. Try something different for a while.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159
    I'm pretty burned out on MMOs in general. Vanguard, AoC, AO, TSW, I just log on, stare at the screen blankly for a few minutes as I try to decide what I want to do, which is usually to disconnect without doing anything at all. I recently renewed  my WoW sub for the first time in about 18 months and I was totally surprised that I've been having a blast leveling new characters. I don't know how long it'll last but for now at least, I'm back and having fun.
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by quasar941
    I'm pretty burned out on MMOs in general. Vanguard, AoC, AO, TSW, I just log on, stare at the screen blankly for a few minutes as I try to decide what I want to do, which is usually to disconnect without doing anything at all. I recently renewed  my WoW sub for the first time in about 18 months and I was totally surprised that I've been having a blast leveling new characters. I don't know how long it'll last but for now at least, I'm back and having fun.

That sounds a lot like me though I have not played WoW in several years, but was thinking about coming back, if MoP goes on sale again for $14.99 soon I probably will.

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I have come back since MOP released and have been enjoying it but I think I'm starting to get a little bored. Give it a shot if you can't find anything else to play, that's what I did. I have been enjoying the new world PVP area in the Krasarang Wilds(spelling?). I would like to see them continue with that developement process and make it a lot bigger part of the game. Also I wish they added an "open party" system so others could just join your group without and invite and you the same when doing world PVP.
  • motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    before back to wow i advise u to try The secret world if u love deep story mmo, doing dungeons for fun and raid, and puzzle in quest  the secret is the game for u ^^
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Edelbert

Felt the same way when I played the free trial yesterday. Got bored within 30 minutes and logged off for good.

The reason isn't even the same old questing system, I think it is the lack of challenge that bored me. Collect 10 and kill 10 quests aren't even the cause for this.

The game is stupidly easy, everything is marked for you, you cannot die unless you are a complete retard, you can press any button without thinking because you will always win, the mobs aren't dangerous, there are no group quests, for pvp servers there is no conflict with your enemy faction so no pvp in the world, world still feels empty etc...

My biggest beef with WoW was that it was always too easy and even if you did die (which would happen if you had bad p/u groups in dungeons) the death penalty was so weak that it didnt really even matter.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    After playing SWTOR i found it difficult to get back into WoW, now that im playing TSW i don't think its possible for me ever to enjoy WoW again.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I've been messing around with a 10 day trial of pandaria, and I cannot find the spark that led me to play previous expansions.  I play the game and get bored of it in about a half hour.  My characters seem cookie cutters, rather than the unique beings I played before, and the general feeling I get of the whole thing is "Meh"

Guess I want to know what others are finding so great about this expansion.  The game is still solid, but not interesting for me.

You do get a lot of the old talents automatically as you level up and the new ones are very different from the old ones. I find that my biggest annoyance is that I can no longer choose abilities from several trees like I used to up until Cata. The MoP system has taken the Cata talent trees and made them automatic, so it was taking a system that I liked less than the original and innovating it.

However, to me it sounds like more than just annoyance at the talent system but rather an MMO burnout. Do you play other games ? Perhaps you need a break from the genre or play something different like LoL or PS2.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by rojo6934

My characters seem cookie cutters, rather than the unique beings I played before,

There was nothing unique on the builds previous to pandaria because everyone needed to have a specific build por raids, a specific build for pvp, a specific build for anything. Now it obviously look cookie cutter because of the massive change of talents but now every talent you try helps you in some way. It has less talents but it actually has more options.

This..

When the game had talent trees, everyone would look up the best build for each spec on sites like elietest jerks, and cookie cut galore (as is the case with SWTOR, RIFT, and most games with talent trees)...if you didnt have the optimum build for your role that fan sites were claming, you got shit on in game.

The new talent system actually encourges build diversaty. Some abilities are good for some fights, some are good for others, some support a certain playstyle, others another.

There is actually more build diversity now than before. I almost shat myself when I first saw how dumbed down it looked...then when I literally had an internal struggle when choosing some of the talents, I saw exactrly what they were going for (although some classes still need some work in that regard).

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Theocritus

My biggest beef with WoW was that it was always too easy and even if you did die (which would happen if you had bad p/u groups in dungeons) the death penalty was so weak that it didnt really even matter.

WoW was not always easy. But it certainly is now. They made it so easy to level that they might as well just give you a 90 and let you spend your time gearing it. Back in the day most classes would die if you pulled one or two adds while fighting something , now even the squishiest class can round up a few and AOE them down. And if you get a few adds in that process, you can just kill them also. They now made all the questing linear also, you don't have to run up to the Wetlands then back to Darkshire or anything like that. Mounts at 20 speed it up even more. I remember when it was 40. Running back and forth from the graveyard to Darkshire and walking all throughout STV to quest. Times change. They did a good job for the most part, I have not come close to putting the hours into anything else that I have in Wow . I really want something else, nothing else released has done it for me yet. Eventually it will. I have not tried TSW yet. I might give that a go sometimes next month.

Originally posted by shawn19606
    Originally posted by Theocritus

WoW was not always easy. But it certainly is now. They made it so easy to level that they might as well just give you a 90 and let you spend your time gearing it. Back in the day most classes would die if you pulled one or two adds while fighting something , now even the squishiest class can round up a few and AOE them down. And if you get a few adds in that process, you can just kill them also. They now made all the questing linear also, you don't have to run up to the Wetlands then back to Darkshire or anything like that. Mounts at 20 speed it up even more. I remember when it was 40. Running back and forth from the graveyard to Darkshire and walking all throughout STV to quest. Times change. They did a good job for the most part, I have not come close to putting the hours into anything else that I have in Wow . I really want something else, nothing else released has done it for me yet. Eventually it will. I have not tried TSW yet. I might give that a go sometimes next month.

Most people play WoW (and themeparks in general) for endgame (Which is why most WoW clone themeparks keep failing, one after another). To address any "endgame is too easy now", ill quote one of my previous posts.

"Raiding only had 1 mode in vanilla, which was =/- Heroic mode today. Wow introduced "heroic modes" in Wotlk, ....that doesnt mean "all content was dumbed down", it means there was a new, easier verion of the content, made for more casual players, that dropped crapier loot etc. It still took most, even world first guilds, months to progress though heroic modes (again, which is the targeted raiding for Raiders).

Just because Blizzard added an easier version of each raid, doesnt mean there is no challenge.....saying raiding in WoW today is too easy, is basically like saying any game ever released is too easy, because you chose "easy" from the menu, instead of Hard.

Thats why Blizz managed to stay 10+ million strong almost a decade after release, there is conent for everybody, those who want easy quick fun (LFR/Normal), and those that want hardcore beat your head on your keyboard raiding (Heroic)."

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Muppetier
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk
     It has become a game for the 12 year old market.

Average age of male US Wow player is 29 years old

Average age of female US Wow player is 32 years old

Source

(Unless you have a more recent survey?)

not the actual age, they meant the mental age.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Reading this thread made me think about it, and I realized I struggle to log in since I feel obligated for my 6+ yeah old character...but then I realized I am really trashing 15 bucks a month. So I finally quit wow just now, deleted it off the comp, split my gold (60k) to my friends and cancelled the sub.

I dont think I will ever get an amazing mmo experience like when I first played wow in vanilla, as my first computer game and my first MMO lol...now its just chasing the dragon lol. Currently I play GW2 on and off, and was occassionally jumping on wow trying to gear back up for MoP Raiding with some RL friends.

Wonder what the next big thing is mmo wise so I can get that excitement again :D