Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why you can't have nice things in EVE Online.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Just read one of the threads over at EVE official forums and a player asked why the game has not seen the use of tessalation that CCP said they would eagerly add to the game.    The response from the developer pretty much told me what I all ready knew.     Instead of writing out the discussion here, I'll just link it for you and you can go check it out yourself. 

Why tessalation will not be coming to EVE any time soon.  <<<  read the forum thread.

Comments

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Right, they don't want to lose half or more of their subscriber base.  Go figure?

Silly CCP and their crazy business model of trying to make money...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Why does CCP have to hold back on tech just because they have customers that are too damn cheap to upgrade?  Did you see what he said, most of the players have out dated gaming rigs and over half still use Windows XP.    
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Teala
    Why does CCP have to hold back on tech just because they have customers that are to damn cheap to upgrade?  Did you see what he said, most of the players have out dated gaming rigs and over half still use Windows XP.    

Because they will lose half of their revenue to make the ships prettier. This is really absurd when put in the context of how much time people spend at maximum zoom staring at their ship. Hmmmm yes, let's kill off half of the player base so that for five minutes upon seeing a new ship, you can zoom in really close and it "dones looks purdy maw".

I would say that given the complete revamp of ship skins and even some models, this is not going to happen, at least not any time soon. Fine with me, I would rather them focus on gameplay that silly nonsense like station walking.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

I apologize for being one of those that are too damn cheap.  I'm on a system that is still decent and can play most of the new stuff on at least Medium settings.  It only does DX10 though and my next upgrade will require a full upgrade from board to proc to vid to ram to ps and maybe even move into an ssd. 

I apologize for having a job and working my tail off just to get by each month and afford my bills and child support and Eve.  Unfortunately, after all that I have little left and won't be upgrading this box for quite some time as a result.  Not everyone has disposable income, and it appears that "not everyone" includes ~50% of EVE's subscriber base since they're all still on DX9...

I guess I could squeeze in a second job to afford the upgrade but then I wouldn't have time to play so wtf for?  And hey, I think EVE is still one of the best looking games out there even on my antiquated 3 year old system...

I see your point, certainly, but as one of those (not so few apparently) in the "too cheap" boat I'm glad that CCP are dragging their feet on this one.

o7

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Why does CCP have to hold back on tech just because they have customers that are too damn cheap to upgrade?  Did you see what he said, most of the players have out dated gaming rigs and over half still use Windows XP.    

Grow up.

Some people can't afford any better. The game graphics are fine as they are.

Spoilt brat.

LOL - spoiled brat?   Why because I don't spend money on daily cheese burgers and would rather take that money and get a decent gaming CPU, memory and graphic card that would cost a grand total of maybe - maybe $200.    It doesn't cost that much money to upgrade.  If you think it does - you just don't won't to do it.  

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

LMAO!!!

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2348058#post2348058

CCP Mankiller wrote:
    Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
    CCP Mankiller wrote:

WinXP is the problem... It just won't die!

Yeah, to be totally honest I was one of those folks who hung on to Win2K until just about everyone dropped support for it. Only switched to XP in late 2006 for Company of Heroes.

Aha! So everyone who wants tessellation: put a bounty on this guy! TwistedEvil

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    considering most of the time people spend zoomed out with lowest detail, i can understand tasselation isn't priority.
  • CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

Grow up.

Spoilt brat.

LOL - spoiled brat?   Why because I don't spend money on daily cheese burgers and would rather take that money and get a decent gaming CPU, memory and graphic card that would cost a grand total of maybe - maybe $200.    It doesn't cost that much money to upgrade.  If you think it does - you just don't won't to do it.  

Daily cheese burgers?

Get your head out of your arse, twat.

I highly doubt I waste the £30 I get every week to live on, on food. Being an anorexic female from the UK.

MAYBE $200 is a lot to some people for an unnecessary update?

Spoilt brat.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Grow up.

Spoilt brat.

There's over 20% unemployement in my country. 20% of people who can't afford 200$ on something that's actually a luxury. And before you go where I know you are thinking going, I am one of them: I speak 3 languages fluently, manage a fourth one reasonably, I got a degree in nuclear enginereeing and got several international certifications on IT stuff.

You do sound like a spoilt brat. Open your eyes. We got a crisis going on and many are struggling.

• The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62

Grow up.

Spoilt brat.

That's a bit more than a $200 upgrade. CPU + motherboard(you know they'll need one for a newer socket type) will be over 200 for a decent one at this point in time. Then you need a DX11 card, with minimum support will cost ~120, and actual ability to use tesselation will be $200. RAM will be another 50-100. Thats only for those on desktops, laptops are in for much higher costs. So you do come off sounding like a spoiled brat.

Graphical improvements from DX11 support would be wasted on EVE unless they actually add some way to use the full body avatars. The ships and planets are never seen close enough to warrant an upgrade past the bump mapping they already have.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by The_Dhampir

Grow up.

Spoilt brat.

That's a bit more than a $200 upgrade. CPU + motherboard(you know they'll need one for a newer socket type) will be over 200 for a decent one at this point in time. Then you need a DX11 card, with minimum support will cost ~120, and actual ability to use tesselation will be $200. RAM will be another 50-100. Thats only for those on desktops, laptops are in for much higher costs. So you do come off sounding like a spoiled brat.

Graphical improvements from DX11 support would be wasted on EVE unless they actually add some way to use the full body avatars. The ships and planets are never seen close enough to warrant an upgrade past the bump mapping they already have.

If someone's computer was that outdated, they could just save up $500 and buy an HP to evade having to rebuild their entire system.  Plus I often find guesstimations when it comes to upgrading to be way off the mark.  I've always kept my machines updated with very little cost.  I make less than a pan handling bump so I tend to be very thrifty.  That doesn't mean I have to settle for crap hardware, I just have the patience and resourcefulness to get what I need without going over my limits.

Also, if people on here are bickering about not being able to afford to eat, perhaps it's time to put down the video games and reprioritize their idea of necessities.  People who are living that close to the edge, with no room for error in their finances, need to cut all the entertainment out and focus on digging themselves out of a hole fulltime.  If you can't save $100 a month, you're not in a good place.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Just read one of the threads over at EVE official forums and a player asked why the game has not seen the use of tessalation that CCP said they would eagerly add to the game.    The response from the developer pretty much told me what I all ready knew.     Instead of writing out the discussion here, I'll just link it for you and you can go check it out yourself. 

Why tessalation will not be coming to EVE any time soon.  <<<  read the forum thread.

Yes, there is a real need for 0.5% better graphics in EVE, better put this in before fixing lag issues and improving the game more.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

What in interesting thread.

I think I'd have to come down on the side that CCP are in business to make money which means balancing things such that the maximum number of paying customers will stay and play it.

To ask that they push graphics up to a level that would drive off 50% of their playerbase is extremely selfish, short-sighted, unrealistic?  If you are really wealthy though you could just offer to take up the financial burden of all those players that they lose.  Maybe eventully be the only one in the world and just invite whoever you want, to join you in the game.  Or if you want the graphics that badly you could also send everyone around the world some $$ to upgrade their computers to levels they could also enjoy these fine graphics.  So there are options if you really want this badly.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Now now children, play nice. These arent the TEST alliance forums.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I run 3 EVE clients at the same time on a fairly outdated Acer Aspire 7745G laptop with no problems.

I'm not interested in CCP spending any time on a graphic update like this, gameplay is much more important to me.

I'll likely buy a new laptop this year, but still, I prefer CCP cater to the lower common denominator in hardware.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

EVE graphics and music are fine when you are mining for a couple of hours inbetween pvp slugfests.....

then again.....I mine for 1hr/year, rather see them fix moongoo, sov, lag, bugs first.

Rather have Incarnia fully completed first. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Wow, can't believe the rudeness of some of these responses.

Exactly what is wrong with offering more graphics options for people with PCs capable of using them? It's not like she's saying that a GPU supporting tessellation should be mandatory to play the farking game. God forbid CCP spend some time & money on updating their game to take advantage of new technology. No, they'd rather waste money on useless stuff, like Dust 514 right?

Oh, and the 'accessibility' argument? Doesn't fly unless the new graphical features increase minimum system requirements by a significant amount. Not to mention that almost everybody dismisses that argument out of hand when talking about the graphics of say, WoW (which ironically, SUPPORTS DX11).

To the guy who called station walking 'silly nonsense': It's people like you who stop EVE from becoming a truly immersive virtual galaxy. The game could be so much more than just gatecamps and blob wars in nullsec if people like you were to quit playing (or at least stopped vocalizing their own 'silly nonsense').

This discussion has been closed.