Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories of the death of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Volkon

... have been greatly exaggerated. 

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

No, my server is still FULL but in-game is a ghost town, so no, we dont have an explanation yet. Lot of people brought the game to try it since is B2P, then quit a few weeks or days later. Also i was in a guild of more than 500 players, now we have less than 5 active players. GW2 wont die at all, is b2p, but the population drop of active players was huge and even more faster than D3 at the point that by the end of the year we have probably more active players playing swtor than gw2. 

Happening in my server as well. Until they fix the loot issues with this game it will continue to be so. Loot issues including the current FoTM only focus and the Ascended temptation as well as the overall DR/MF/Drop nerfs/manipulation.

I hardly see anyone anymore and it's sad. Albeit all the problems are end-game but still.

And you all know my history with this title. When someone like me who's been called a fanboi in these forums more times then we've seen the word Kitten in the official forums posts about these problems you know something's wrong with the title.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

No, my server is still FULL but in-game is a ghost town, so no, we dont have an explanation yet. Lot of people brought the game to try it since is B2P, then quit a few weeks or days later. Also i was in a guild of more than 500 players, now we have less than 5 active players. GW2 wont die at all, is b2p, but the population drop of active players was huge and even more faster than D3 at the point that by the end of the year we have probably more active players playing swtor than gw2. 

Happening in my server as well. Until they fix the loot issues with this game it will continue to be so. Loot issues including the current FoTM only focus and the Ascended temptation as well as the overall DR/MF/Drop nerfs/manipulation.

I hardly see anyone anymore and it's sad. Albeit all the problems are end-game but still.

And you all know my history with this title. When someone like me who's been called a fanboi in these forums more times then we've seen the word Kitten in the official forums posts about these problems you know something's wrong with the title.

Seeing people everywhere. I switched to a US server and it is full - hard to get in. The guild I am in is still gaining players. Every main city currently goes to overflow and even some area maps do. The Ascended gear is a non-issue for me as they did mention, before the game was releeased, that they would another tier of armor. What loot issues? I am seeing more rares drop than ever. In GW1, people would go in and out and I think that it will happen with GW2. Does this mean the game is dying - no I don't think it will. I do think that people get too frustrated and want things their way too much. I am kind of sick of the 'cry baby' mentality.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by botrytis

Seeing people everywhere. I switched to a US server and it is full - hard to get in. The guild I am in is still gaining players. Every main city currently goes to overflow and even some area maps do. The Ascended gear is a non-issue for me as they did mention, before the game was releeased, that they would another tier of armor. What loot issues? I am seeing more rares drop than ever. In GW1, people would go in and out and I think that it will happen with GW2. Does this mean the game is dying - no I don't think it will. I do think that people get too frustrated and want things their way too much. I am kind of sick of the 'cry baby' mentality.

Yes as me i was playing GW1 since start t'ill June this year, with a lot of breaks ofc.

This weekend my guild was again with more than 20 active people (small guild with only 40 people), and yes not so many people on LA asking for HotFractal's.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

awwwww :<

and i was just about to start playing the game

patching now as we speak :<

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

I always hear the haters using leveling zone activity as the basis of their argument for "GW2 is dead". Fact is, the activity in GW2's leveling zones is really not that much different from those in WoW. I remember Summer of 2011, I was playing WoW and leveling an alt on Alliance Proudmoore, the top West Coast PVE Alliance realm, and yet believe it or not, outside of Elwynn Forest, none of the leveling zones were an endless burst of activity. I spent lots of time leveling in mid-level zones and only seeing the occasional other player pass by every few minutes. I would do zone searches just to see the exact number and that usually ranged from no higher than 8-13 at evening hours. It feels just as GW2 does now.

It's not hard for me to understand. People hit max level in MMO's and then they go chill in whatever the main hub city happens to be. It's like this in GW2 and it was like this on my old WoW server. Yeah lots of people levelup alts as well, but for most it's not a top priority.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by killion81

I'm curious what data they are using for this article.  When I click the link attached to "Guild Wars 2" in the article, it brings me to Green Man Gaming with the following Top Sellers listed on their main page.

1 King Arthur II $9.99
    2 Chivalry: Medieval ... $24.99 $12.49
    3 The Secret World (NA) $29.99
    4 Borderlands 2 Season Pass ... $29.99
    5 Guild Wars 2 $59.99 $57.99
    6 MK AK $9.99
    7 Bastion $14.99
    8 Dishonored: DLC $4.99
    9 EVE - 60 day $34.99
    10 BL2 Creature Slaught $4.99

Probably updated daily, because it now shows:

1 Dishonored $59.99 $29.99
    2 Guild Wars 2 $59.99 $41.99
    3 Doom 3 BFG Ed $29.99 $10.49
    4 Cognition: Hangman $9.99 $2.49
    5 Sniper: GW $19.95 $1.99
    6 EVE: Starter pack $19.99 $4.99
    7 Euro Truck Simulato... $29.99 $14.99
    8 Fallout: New Vegas $19.99 $9.99
    9 Dishonored: DLC $4.99
    10 Nail'd $4.99 $2.49

Still, performing quite well for a dead game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW2 is also still in the TOP 5 of amazon.com PC game sales, despite the numerous other popular games released lately.

But that's also only a lie, a conspiration - the little group of doom sayers who, on this site and others, post that games are dead because they happened to not enjoy them, can only be right. I mean, if John Doe on the MMORPG.COM forums says a game is failing, it can only be true.

Nobody is saying that the game is dead, but the Hype was just insanely huge and a few month later,it was just that, hype.

That is why it is still in the top 5 of amazon... All hype. Do you hear yourself? 

TERA is still in the top 15 with both the digital and physical copies.  #5 and #15 and TSW is #1, ahead of GW2. TERA is a niche game that released 8 MONTHS AGO, yet still has both copies in the top 15.

Regardless if it's on sale atm or not, that says a lot. It's not hard to be in the top, heck 3 months after TERA released it had a big sale and topped at #1 in ALL gaming products on Amazon even beating out Xbox live timecards and controllers lmao.

So how populated are TERA and TSW? Not very populated regardless of Amazon copies sold, since not everyone buys things from Amazon.

Besides, GW2 is ranked #149 in overall video games, TERAs sale put TERA at #1 even three months after release, which is pretty crazy, yet TERA is still pretty dead.

Amazon sales mean nothing in the long term, especially because you could buy the game and never even end up playing it!

Actually when my TERA guild tried forming a guild in GW2, 50% of the players who came over logged in once made their characters played to level 6-12 and never logged in again, that's how the B2P model works, thats how game hoppers work these days, that's why sales numbers never mean anything anymore, it's all about retention rate.

Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    "m.pcgamer.com" doesn't seem like the most reliable source of information. Poorly built webpage with a pcgamer logo tacked on.

Uhhh.... because its the mobile webpage? Whch accounts for the poor quality when viewed on a desktop.  

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh god. Thanks for the laugh.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW2 is also still in the TOP 5 of amazon.com PC game sales, despite the numerous other popular games released lately.

But that's also only a lie, a conspiration - the little group of doom sayers who, on this site and others, post that games are dead because they happened to not enjoy them, can only be right. I mean, if John Doe on the MMORPG.COM forums says a game is failing, it can only be true.

Nobody is saying that the game is dead, but the Hype was just insanely huge and a few month later,it was just that, hype.

That is why it is still in the top 5 of amazon... All hype. Do you hear yourself? 

TERA is still in the top 15 with both the digital and physical copies.  #5 and #15 and TSW is #1, ahead of GW2. TERA is a niche game that released 8 MONTHS AGO, yet still has both copies in the top 15.

Regardless if it's on sale atm or not, that says a lot. It's not hard to be in the top, heck 3 months after TERA released it had a big sale and topped at #1 in ALL gaming products on Amazon even beating out Xbox live timecards and controllers lmao.

So how populated are TERA and TSW? Not very populated regardless of Amazon copies sold, since not everyone buys things from Amazon.

Besides, GW2 is ranked #149 in overall video games, TERAs sale put TERA at #1 even three months after release, which is pretty crazy, yet TERA is still pretty dead.

Amazon sales mean nothing in the long term, especially because you could buy the game and never even end up playing it!

Actually when my TERA guild tried forming a guild in GW2, 50% of the players who came over logged in once made their characters played to level 6-12 and never logged in again, that's how the B2P model works, thats how game hoppers work these days, that's why sales numbers never mean anything anymore, it's all about retention rate.

Ummm where is it ranked #149? For most digital distributors GW2 has been the top MMO since its launch.

TSW got a recent spike with the B2P change, and is far from dead.

On Amazon GW2 is ranked 12th, WoWs expansion is ranked 14th and there are no other MMOs in the top 100. God knows what TERA is at. I haven't seen TERA on any lists since its first week.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by evilastro

On Amazon GW2 is ranked 12th, WoWs expansion is ranked 14th and there are no other MMOs in the top 100. God knows what TERA is at. I haven't seen TERA on any lists since its first week.

I'm talking about amazon.com, maybe you're talking about .dr, .uk, .ca ?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by evilastro

I'm talking about amazon.com, maybe you're talking about .dr, .uk, .ca ?

amazon.com is just another region of amazon, it doesnt cover the 'whole' company.  sales in different regions will vary, but that doesnt make them any less valid.image

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

So much hate versus a game that is topping all charts.
    Hate versus a game those haters never play, but ohhhh does it feel good to see a game fail.
    That feeling inside you, getting warm and fuzzy hmmmmmm, oh how i long to see games fail.
    Its my mission in life to be a forum warrior in the interwebs making games fail.

You guys are hilarious, little cry baby's :)

Ive stopped playing GW2 to spend some time with Hawken, great free to play game and very addictive :)

Once WvW gets sorted out i will return to peek what improved, for now its me spending time in Hawken gaving the time of my life :) !!!

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Sales mean money for ANet but they don't really say much for the game. Being a B2P game has the effect of having people buy it for the hell of it just to have the option to play it on the side. This is the first holiday season post-launch so it's hardly surprising that all the kids whose parents won't pay a sub for them have asked for it for xmas. That doesn't mean they'll actually play it after a few days. I really wouldn't put much value in those numbers.

Ultimately I don't even care though. I stopped playing because bugs that were present throughout beta STILL havn't been fixed, NONE of the professions are balanced and ANet showed themselves to be incompetent again and again with incredibly bad priorities.

What I still find laughable is that people defend it with the 'it's only been out x months' argument. They'll no doubt still be saying that at 6 months when the bugs from beta are STILL there rendering dozens of class traits broken and skills useless. ANet don't seem to give a damn about the bugs, as evidenced by the fact Jon Peters admitted they only have TWO staff working on bug fixing! O_o

They have a real mis-management issue. The ascended gear debacle was simply the final nail in the coffin for most that quit after the Karka patch. Those still playing probably aren't aware that half their traits aren't doing anything.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Alberel

Sales mean money for ANet but they don't really say much for the game. Being a B2P game has the effect of having people buy it for the hell of it just to have the option to play it on the side. This is the first holiday season post-launch so it's hardly surprising that all the kids whose parents won't pay a sub for them have asked for it for xmas. That doesn't mean they'll actually play it after a few days. I really wouldn't put much value in those numbers.

Ultimately I don't even care though. I stopped playing because bugs that were present throughout beta STILL havn't been fixed, NONE of the professions are balanced and ANet showed themselves to be incompetent again and again with incredibly bad priorities.

What I still find laughable is that people defend it with the 'it's only been out x months' argument. They'll no doubt still be saying that at 6 months when the bugs from beta are STILL there rendering dozens of class traits broken and skills useless. ANet don't seem to give a damn about the bugs, as evidenced by the fact Jon Peters admitted they only have TWO staff working on bug fixing! O_o

They have a real mis-management issue. The ascended gear debacle was simply the final nail in the coffin for most that quit after the Karka patch. Those still playing probably aren't aware that half their traits aren't doing anything.

Wonder how many refunds there were?

I know some got theirs refunded after three months.

I personally had enough fun so I'll keep my copy though.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by UWNVME

I always hear the haters using leveling zone activity as the basis of their argument for "GW2 is dead". Fact is, the activity in GW2's leveling zones is really not that much different from those in WoW. I remember Summer of 2011, I was playing WoW and leveling an alt on Alliance Proudmoore, the top West Coast PVE Alliance realm, and yet believe it or not, outside of Elwynn Forest, none of the leveling zones were an endless burst of activity. I spent lots of time leveling in mid-level zones and only seeing the occasional other player pass by every few minutes. I would do zone searches just to see the exact number and that usually ranged from no higher than 8-13 at evening hours. It feels just as GW2 does now.

It's not hard for me to understand. People hit max level in MMO's and then they go chill in whatever the main hub city happens to be. It's like this in GW2 and it was like this on my old WoW server. Yeah lots of people levelup alts as well, but for most it's not a top priority.

The difference there, is that WoW is 10 years old. I started playing WOW almost five years after launch and the low end zones were still very active, very full. GW2's levelling zones on my server (Tarnished Coast) were depopulated two and a half months in. 

The problem GW2 has is not unique to GW2. It is pretty much the same as every MMORPG released in the last 5 years. The content has no longevity, no staying power. People do not play the game, its like they play through the game to reach the end. And like so many other recent MMORPGs, once you reach the end, you realize it has limited replayability, so there are no alts levelling up. People either leave, or remain on their mains (speaking in generalizations, and speaking from my own experience and that of the 60 or so people I was guilded with, who have all left for other pastures now). 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by jpnz
    Wonder how many refunds there were?I know some got theirs refunded after three months.I personally had enough fun so I'll keep my copy though. 

It's absolutely incredible how generous ArenaNet were with refunds. I've been gaming for close to 30 years now and I've never seen anything like it.

For most of that time, you could buy a computer game, take it home, find out that it literally did not work at all (simply wouldn't even start up on your machine), and you were out of luck. Maybe you'd be able to exchange it for a different title. You could never return it for a cash refund.

Meanwhile, ArenaNet blithely pays out cash to people who bought the game, played it for like 500 hours and literally made themselves ill for overplaying, then decided they wanted their money back so they could move on to the next game. Truly remarkable (and insane, and horrible business, and so on).

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

Well, it's dead to me. Which is all that matters to me. Population size doesn't matter much to me if the game itself fails to impress unfortunately.

[mod edit]

There are people who don't like GW2 and Arenanet, get over it.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by FromHell

Well, it's dead to me. Which is all that matters to me. Population size doesn't matter much to me if the game itself fails to impress unfortunately.

[mod edit]

I do understand - but why can't they just say, 'The game is not for me, moving on'. Instead they go on and on and on about how the game sux, it's dying, etc. OT they say, I played the game for 500 hours in 1 month and hate it now (insane people do insane things).  It is almost like if they repeat it to themselves enough they might actually believe it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

[mod edit]

I do understand - but why can't theyjust say, 'The game is not for me, moving on'. Instead they go on and on and on about how the game sux, it's dying, etc.

It is almost like if they repeat it to themselves enough they might actually believe it.

There are usually two types of people arguing against something. Those trying to convince others, and those trying to convince themselves.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

BLAH BLAH BLAH - haters will hate.

Why did you even have to post this - so you could be heard?

I do understand - but why can't theyjust say, 'The game is not for me, moving on'. Instead they go on and on and on about how the game sux, it's dying, etc.

It is almost like if they repeat it to themselves enough they might actually believe it.

Probably because it's more entertaining to go to a forum and talk about why the MMORPGs that came out this year are not what you're looking for than it is to actually play any of the MMORPGs that came out this year.  Some people are just waiting for a fun MMORPG and this is something to do, that is MMORPG related, while they wait.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by killion81

BLAH BLAH BLAH - haters will hate.

Why did you even have to post this - so you could be heard?

Probably because it's more entertaining to go to a forum and talk about why the MMORPGs that came out this year are not what you're looking for than it is to actually play any of the MMORPGs that came out this year.  Some people are just waiting for a fun MMORPG and this is something to do, that is MMORPG related, while they wait.

I think people are doing that just to get the FANs all worked up.  People gotta grow a thinker skin and realize they're being trolled for entertainment purposes.  It's fun for them and frustrating for the people who go all out to defend and the more the fans defend the more they push their buttons.  Forum PVP at it's finest and definitely working for the people trying to mess with the fans.

A good game doesnt need defending, it speaks for itself and i think GW2 does speak for itself that it's a pretty good game, dont know why people are so sensitive when someone talks bad about the game they love.  Enjoy the game that you love and don't worry about other's people opinions because that's all it is, the only opinion that matters is yours.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I loved GW1 and just shocked how GW2 is unpopular compare to great success of early GW.
    May be time changed and Anet missed something...

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Well, the main thing most games seem to miss is fun entertaining variety of starter zones and reasons to make alts... You either go the one main character does it all route and provide endless fluff entertainment mini-games and hardcore grinding for that one character, or you actually make a variety of starter zones for alts. 

This is part of why Everquest 1 was successful, they had a starter zone for all of the different races.  Wood Elves and High Elves share Greater Faydark but have their own cities of Kelethin and Felwithe, Dark Elves get Neriak and their own forest, Ogres get Oggrok and Feerott, Humans get Qeynos and Qeynos Hills, Barbarians get Halas and Everfrost, Gnomes get Ak'anon and Steamfont Mountains, Dwarves get Kaladim and Butcherblock, Halflings get Misty Thicket and Rivervale, Iksars get Field of Bone and Cabilis, why would you make only 1 linear level path ala Star Wars : The Old Republic?

Everquest 1 took forever to level, opened up socialization with slow combat and camping/grinding, and had a variety of leveling paths for alts, even though you were allowed to do almost all tradeskill professions on a main character.  In newer games you only get 1 linear path that is fun for the story usually only once... 

I seriously want Guild Wars 2 to succeed, because I think buy to play is way better than freemium and it would be nice if companies would follow their example, but no game should ever be released with only 1 leveling path... 

No one who bought a game that then goes free, should have to be penalized with the inability to wear their armor attained while they were paying a subscription, armor should just be grandfathered in... Any new armor could be restricted to sub only, but not being able to wear old gear? Meh... 

Epic/Legendary gear shouldn't be sub only until max level, because all it does is reduce the reason for grouping when a free player can't equip any gear, so they have no reason to group for gear that they can't use... Therefore, all they do is solo, which provides no entertainment to paying subscribers anyway... Except, for the social commentary in guild chat, and maybe they do some crafting? I wish for a buy to play that you can buy once and not have to deal with restrictions, after all you bought it, the box for full price and then expansions... Without having to take a restrictive cut for not paying a subscription, even though you are perfectly willing to buy expansion packs... 

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

I loved GW1 and just shocked how GW2 is unpopular compare to great success of early GW.
    May be time changed and Anet missed something...

Thing that's probably important to realize.  GW2 is anything but "unpopular".  Check the front page of this site.  Its the most popular released game.  Which is odd when you see so many hate threads regarding GW2 and negative responses on this very site!  Until you realize its the same people, in almost every GW2 thread, commenting negatively about the game.  I don't usually say that, but in this case it's amazingly true.  Go look.  Pick any GW2 thread.  You will see the same negative commenters in every single thread, as though they are on a mission. 

Or if that's not good enough, check user reviews on Metacritic.  Has an average score of 8.1 among its players, with 1,818 reviews counted.  Want to convice me its not popular?  Okay mmorpg.com GW2 haters, head over there and cast your vote, and watch the score move down......you know....not at all. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I see people running around when I log in.  That's the only measure I have.