Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion Thoughts

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i know one thing they need to sort out..if your ge..do it good..i got told last night that i could'nt even put 3 bottom quickslot bars on..max i could do was 2..and they are going to give more abilities..my quickslot bars are splattered all over the screen..sort it out ffs.
    Originally posted by kevjards
    i know one thing they need to sort out..if your going to copy a game..do it good..i got told last night that i could'nt even put 3 bottom quickslot bars on..max i could do was 2..and they are going to give more abilities..my quickslot bars are splattered all over the screen..sort it out ffs.

i know one thing they need to sort out..if your going to copy a game..do it good..i got told last night that i could'nt even put 3 bottom quickslot bars on..max i could do was 2..and they are going to give more abilities..my quickslot bars are splattered all over the screen..sort it out ffs.

sorry for double post

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

BioWare gives nothing but one disappointment after another lately.

I really wish people would stop supporting this ship wreck. Oh well. Good luck to the people buying it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Asking subscription players to pay for additional content that is not an expansion is the most greedy thing I have seen from a MMO developer.  Glad I don't play this anymore.  This just insures I will not play it again.
  • xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15

EA has the Midas touch all backwards it seems.

It's supposed to be from trash to gold, not the opposite.

• CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Yet another PR black eye for EA.  RotHC should have been made available via the Cartel Market for 1500-2000CC.  I hope they reconsider.
  • Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I just cant believe subscribers have to pay for this DLC.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    So what the hell is the subscription for? This is pathetic. It's sad anyone would support this crap.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• TusknCharleyTusknCharley Member Posts: 10
    BW/EA have no money to do anything with. Investors are so strapped for their $$$ return, the hype is all but gone. All they can afford to do now is milk this "content" for as much cash as possible. In the recent interview it was all about what wasn't said that was most giving. F2P cash shop and raping subs for subpar content is the only way they can bring any extra $$$ in. More layoffs coming, more BW/EA swifting of leads. Pretty sad that even panda's are looking good at this point, and I have never played WoW.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

The problem Mike B is that the majority of the people still paying and or playing this game do it solely for the Class Stories, not for the mmo part.  There are some who do of course, I play for the Class Stories and warzones.  So when the DLC was announced the forums were on fire with excitement over the class stories being expanded, and when Hickman's comments were clerified people were pissed. 

A lot of the playerbase doesn't like the side quests that every single person does over and over again, they just do them for experience/gear while leveling.  People want their epic story to continue, to make playing the game still worth their time.

::Minor Spoiler:: DONT read if you haven't played sith warrior to the end!!!!!

--- So what happens when the Sith Warrior becomes the hand of the Emperor after killing Baras? He goes to Ilum and deals with Malgus and then boom the end.  Enter the DLC..

You are the biggest badass of the galaxy!!!!  You have made the empire crush the republic on every system and slain Darth Baras!!! Nothing is more badass then you!!!!!

Except that lvl 51 Cartel Thug on the first tier of Makeb.  Oh woe is the Sith Warrior who is the hand of the Emperor that dies from a lowly Thug.  I guess the Emperor should of went to Makeb for sith instead of Korriban.

So this long epic story line of each class takes you to the pinacle of super badass to just fall flat on it's face.  How in the hell is a Hutt Cartel any threat to a sith of that magnitude?  This is where the fault in Bioware's fourth pillar shows. 

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Smart pricing might as well sub and buy for $5 more and then they probably figure people will get used to having the sub and keep it.

• syfer23syfer23 Member Posts: 3

I quit playing swtor months ago.  I don't plan on ever going back.  Why pay money for something that's mediocare?  I would play wow before I play swtor even if it's F2P.

The game was disappointing.  I wish it had been more than it claimed to be.  There were too many bugs and other issues making it difficult to play at all.  EAs control of the game is what ruined it.  Sad stuff.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by Segun777

We want it now and we want it free. eh. I'm ok with this. Gamers have made the switch to faster content, recent news has made that fairly certain. World of Warcraft, LOTRO, and Rift, have all failed to garner the excitement that expansions used to garner, times have changed.

Gamers don't want to wait 12 to 24 months for new expansions as in the old days. Game companies will need to make smaller cuts of content, quicker, for a fraction of the price. Gamers have spoken and Bioware has listened. So what are people angry about now, facing the reality of their choosing?

The point is, that this is nowhere near worthy of being called a paid expansion!

Go look back at expansions for EverQuest 2, like Kingdoms of Sky, Echoes of Faydwer, Rise of Kunark or the expansion for Rift a month ago!

Or any of WoW's expansions for that matter.

Now that is what I would call a true expansion! /shrug

If they called and advertise it as a paid DLC... that would be more like it. As that is what it is! Nothing more!

Why does it matter what its called? DLC is still an expansion. 

It DOES matter. As it sets the price!

DLC is priced in the 5 to 15 bucks range. While expansions are priced in the 30 to 50 bucks range.

You can bet that EA tries to charge 40 to 50 bucks for this so called expansion of theirs.

Good luck with being suckered into that. It's what EA does best these days.

They already fooled me once with the CE of SW:TOR. But not anymore. They can shove this up in their *****.

Its £6 for subs and £11.99 for free players I think.

It seems to be priced at 20 dollars. Hadn't seen the price page yet. Still for one zone (which is essentially one questpack) it's still quite a steep price.

It's $9.99 for subscribers and $19.99 for F2P.  Obviously it's not a full blown expansion guys. Treat it as it is and don't compare with other games expansions priced from 40 to 60 bucks.

And... I pre-ordered is as well. As soon as I found out about it. Very excited about it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    star wars the old republic reimagined completely for adults.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

All this ludicrous faux outrage over a $9.99 DLC?

Pathetic.

At this point the ToR devs could cure cancer and there'd be a 32 page thread on this site of people ripping them for not doing it sooner.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

why should it be free ?.

with the game now free to play. its how it should be if you play for free if you want big content updates you pay for it.

if i am not paying a subb ive no probs paying for content updates if i like whats on offer :).

well with everyone getting the client for free i think they have to charge something for the dlc..how else do they get some of that 200 mill back.but it should have been free for subs imo like most other companies do.i just got the rohan expansion for nothing ..just using TP .if they continue to treat subbers bad its only going to end up worse for them.
  • zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

As superniceguy said, LOTRO's Siege of Mirkwood contained a few more things than a new area and extension of the epic quest line. Along with skirmishes, a new game mechanic, which is still very popular today, Siege of Mirkwood offered five new instances - three 3-man, one 6-man, and one 12-man raid (all of which just got scaled up to maxium level, by the way).

If this so-called "expansion" throws in a few flashpoints and a new operation, then it might be considered on par with Siege of Mirkwood. Otherwise, it is more similar to LOTRO's content updates, which are incidentally free to subcribers.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

The price is quite reasonable for the size.  It's not a huge game changing expansion like MoP.  But like the OP said, it's similar to LotRO dealo.  Yet still charging less.

And while everyone KNOWS it's just makeb, I'm pretty sure it won't be JUST the planet.  I'm willing to bet we will see a flashpoint and raid (Look at the picture, that's a new tier of raid armor/pvp armor).  I bet we will see quests to visit other planets/space stations/etc.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84
    So another Bioware/EA fail... and? The weird thing will be a right move from those guys.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Ea at work again... In the mass effect universe, content update this small is a dlc, in swtor case it's charging?

As someone said earlier, this should be free for subs, but I guess that's why i don't run a business because I don't know anything about customer care etc..

Go ahead Ea milk all you can, and you wonder why your stocks are slowly tanking..
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I am not going to buy it, as there is no reason too.  I gave up on swtor.  I went back to try the free to play and hit a brick wall.  There is no way that EA is getting any more of my money.

I am tired of EA's lies.  Remember in beta when the said they would have 10 years worth of content lie.  Remembe when they said they had all this great content banked up and ready to go another lie.   How many times are we going to fall for EA's lies.

I only have one message to send to EA, your too greedy. 

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Its only TEN BUCKS. A full expansion runs 40 bucks plus. I have no problem at all dropping ten bucks on this. Try and put it in perspective vs. the dollar amount against the time you get out of a game. If i get 40 hours + out of a game then i feel i have my money's worth. a dollar an hour for entertainment is nothing and i am pretty sure i will get more than ten hours worth of fun out of this. I pay my sub and i feel i get that also when i log in every day and run operations and enjoy the game with my friends.
  • KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59

"At this point the ToR devs could cure cancer and there'd be a 32 page thread on this site of people ripping them for not doing it sooner."

you are 100% correct. Im willing to bet half the people complaining here dont even play the game.