Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Wizard101: Five Really Cool Things About W101

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Four year old Wizard101 by KingsIsle is a perennial favorite among gamers of many ages. There are a metric ton of reasons why, some of which we'll investigate in today's column. See which things we chose as our first five really cool things about Wizard101 then add your thoughts in the comments.

One of the most gratifying moments in Wizard101 is the first time your character casts an epic spell. Whether it’s a giant Heliphant or an Ice Giant or an arrow shooting Centaur, the spells in Wizard101 are the best in the business. Even low level spells contain their own special form of awesomeness. There are just not enough good things to say about the cinematic quality of the spell effects in the game. Every other MMO out there seems positively dull by comparison.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Wizard101: Five Really Cool Things About W101.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

You mentioned the spell effects, but I would rank the combat system itself as being one of the neatest things about the game. To my knowledge there's simply nothing else quite like it in the genre. Pure turn-based systems themselves are something of a rarity in MMO-space.

I'd also note that they take the reading-angle one step further by having voiceovers for much of the on-screen dialogue, so even if a child is just learning to read they can follow along.

<3

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Yes I agree the turn based combat is a blast.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Yes I agree the turn based combat is a blast.

I think that might be my favorite thing about it, myself.  Makes me hope the Fallout MMO will be turned based like its SPG's were, originally.

• RyahlRyahl Member Posts: 47

We really like Wizard 101 and Pirates 101, they have both been great games to play with our daughter.  Wizards plays well a bit younger than Pirates, but both games are great for teaching tactics.  I suspect both play really well in developing critical thinking skills too.

I have to second Suzie's point about housing.  It floors me just how much depth the purchased housing has.  The duel arenas in the houses are just too cool.

Ryahl - writer of eye-bleeders
    FFXIV Fansite | TSWGuides
    Follow me on Twitter

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Keep in mind that I only chose five out of the fifty I could've written. :) Thanks for all your input!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    The trouble with said spell effects is that the game wants you to sit and watch them every single time, which makes combat slow to a crawl.  Or you can turn them off so that it won't display them on your screen, but that doesn't speed up combat any.  3 seconds of picking a move followed by 30 seconds of watching it play out gets old.
    Now I kinda wanna go download this again. Only problem is it makes me feel like a pedophile playing this game.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Now I kinda wanna go download this again. Only problem is it makes me feel like a pedophile playing this game.

LOL similar concerns Fendel.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Fendel as long as you play and are just an ok guy no one should take any offense or the FBI to look at you funny XD

Maybe ill look and see if there's any adult guilds or something lol I doubt I'd play it super hardcore but rhe turned based combat was a blast

• tommy234tommy234 Member Posts: 1
    i love what you said about the Constant game client updates i'm posting that on my FB page and my websight
  • PaigeMoonPaigeMoon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Thank you so much for the shout out.  I am very happy you like my blog. Suzie Such a great review.
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I have got to say that I have been gaming for a very long time and I use to always look forward to returning to WOW for my fix but Wizard 101 and Pirates 101 has done the trick. Wizard 101 is very challenging, the storyline is great and there are all the aspects that the bigger games have, plus I don't ever have to worry about immature content or chat problems. I hope they keep developing this title as it has a lot to offer both for younger players and older alike.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        The combat was really enjoyable in this game...Turn based doesn't get enough love in this genre as far as I am concerned.... Unfortunately Wiz101 has too many other issues that ruin that fun combat....If it had a better f2p model it could have had more success.
  • Dalyn510Dalyn510 Member CommonPosts: 4
    On a scale of 1-10 I give it a definant 11! I am a really big fan of W101.
  • oranredleaforanredleaf Member UncommonPosts: 3

Actually I think you get your dorm room pretty near right off the bat (not sure as I didn't get around to checking it out until I was about a level 5...). 

I believe when you hit level 15 is when you can "buy" your first "real" houses using in-game Gold ("free" - meaning earned in the game, not requiring "real money.") from various in-game vendors. Some larger homes can be purchased through the Crown Shop for either Crowns (real money) OR Gold. The really big deluxe luxury homes seem to either be Crowns-only in the Crown Shop, or obtained by buying special "Bundle Cards" from the website or at various retailers (like Walmart).

My only gripe about playing Wizard101 is that you pretty much need a good high-speed internet connection. It won't even download on my home system, and play can get "jerky" when I'm using wi-fi connections at the library, at restaurants, etc. Does great on the 35MBS wired network connection at the office... not that I play while I'm supposed to be working...   :-p

• autumnwildheartautumnwildheart Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Wizard 101 is a game recommended to me by my sister, though she never played it.  I tried it one night and I think I played for five hours straight.  I have always liked magic and wizards, dragons and spells.  So I thought this game was very engaging - then you bring in the fact that you can interact with people from all around the world... well that hooked me.  I live in USA but one of my best friends in the game is from New Zealand.  I have a level 93 balance wiz who is working her way through Khrysalis, but I love this game so much that I made four other wizards. Then in October of 2012 I tried Pirate 101.  It is very hard to say which game I like better.  They both have thier good and bad points.  I play both games on a monthly membership basis, that way I can stop anytime.  I work very hard and when I have free time in the evenings I do like to play either game.  I think that adults and kids can play together as long as you communicate.  If you don't want to play with kids and you are an adult, just change realms or go to a different wizard, or GO HIDDEN!  If you are a kid and don't want to play with adults, then you can do the same things to get back with your peers.  You can be whoever you want to in these games.  I think that is attractive to everyone.  
  • Lethal95Lethal95 Member Posts: 2
    I like the different spells in the game. I am a level 31 Balance wizard. Logan Firehammer is my wizard name and I have killed level eighty life wizards before thanks to the balance card reshuffle! That card is very useful and I always have one in my spell deck! Thanks so much for making this game and the cards that we use!