Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Isn't that bad!

Comments

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by velmax
    So i was expecting the worse! Super grindy game, boring combat, and horrible gameplay in general. To be honest, i didn't get any of that. The story was pretty amazing, one of my favorite aspects of the game, the combat wasn't anything new, but still enjoyable. I really liked the PVP especially Huttball, that's probably the best PVP map I've played, and the PVP is pretty balanced. The dungeons were cool since they were Star Wars themed and i liked how all classes got a knockback and stun skill, balances the PVP out very well.  So overall, dont let other players freak you out, the game is great and the RESTRICTION for F2P arn't that bad, at least 1-50.

Good for you :)

The game while it has faults it has many upsides also. For me it has the best story & voice acting (and a ton of it) of any MMO. Plus neat little touches to the stories that take into account whether your light side or dark, and on one story line whether your companion is the same gender as you. They maybe small things but it enhances the enjoyment quite a bit. It's an attention to detail rarely seen in any game never mind an MMO.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    LOL- dont let the wacko haters throw you, SWTOR is better than 75% of the mmo's out there and the main thing op is you like it. I love the story, the combat , the production, even the sounds of the guns booming, now if they just put in some enjoyable Space.
  • mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by mcburly
    Originally posted by MyBoot
    So i was expecting the worse! Super grindy game, boring combat, and horrible gameplay in general. To be honest, i didn't get any of that. The story was pretty amazing, one of my favorite aspects of the game, the combat wasn't anything new, but still enjoyable. I really liked the PVP especially Huttball, that's probably the best PVP map I've played, and the PVP is pretty balanced. The dungeons were cool since they were Star Wars themed and i liked how all classes got a knockback and stun skill, balances the PVP out very well.  So overall, dont let other players freak you out, the game is great and the RESTRICTION for F2P arn't that bad, at least 1-50.

Good on you mate, glad to see you enjoy the game and are having fun, Don't listen to the rest of the dead beats who are just pissed off because SWTOR wasn't made to there exact styles. 

If we were to get actual sub numbers right now. I guarantee Rift would have more and wouldnt be surprised if LOTRO had about the same if not more. SWTOR sold 2 million copies at launch and was down to 500k subs at 6 months. After a year I would put SWTOR at maybe 200k subs, and a lot of f2p accounts. 6 months from now the f2p accounts wont be that many with how terrible of a f2p they offer and the subs will probably be around 125k. 

And hopefully the game shuts down a year from now so we can get the Star Wars MMO we deserve.

Haha too funny buddy. Where do you get your facts? I wish I could pull ignorant crap out of my a$$ like some on here do non-stop. I can't wait to be celebrating the 2nd expansion in a year while those like you will still be pouting and pulling crap out of their a$$

uhm, my facts came from EA's investor meetings where they have to give factual data on how successful their game properties are. So theres that.

P.S. Congrats on paying for an expansion that comes out in spring that was originally suppose to release around this time as a content update...for free.

Too bad their f2p has been a huge success! Please provide a link that says they are below 125k. I have never read any investor meeting stating anything below 500k. So how about that link? Oh wow god forbid things changed, they are adding more than just what your talking about. I know selective reading and missed the part of "more information coming". Ill pay $10 to play new content on a game i enjoy. I guess im fortunate to have a job where I dont need to pout about ten bucks.

LOL oh boy

You mention selective reading but I never stated the subs were at 125k... if you read my comment properly you would realize I was making a prediction. The last known sub total was at 500k almost 6 months ago. Im not a math major but if within the first 6 months you lose 1.5 million out of 2 million sales, I think its safe to assume that 6 months later it wont still be at 500k.

Its just common sense.

Oh and F2P has not been a success so far. The reviews on it have been overwhelmingly negative. Sure, you are gonna see a boost in population at first. That always happens with F2P implementations. A month or two from now and that will wear off.

Im glad your happy to give your money away, but I prefer to spend my hard earned money on something worthwhile ....and not something that was supposed to be a free content update.

• rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34

SWTOR wont share their sub numbers.. that alone is proof for me 8P

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

Good on you mate, glad to see you enjoy the game and are having fun, Don't listen to the rest of the dead beats who are just pissed off because SWTOR wasn't made to there exact styles. 

If we were to get actual sub numbers right now. I guarantee Rift would have more and wouldnt be surprised if LOTRO had about the same if not more. SWTOR sold 2 million copies at launch and was down to 500k subs at 6 months. After a year I would put SWTOR at maybe 200k subs, and a lot of f2p accounts. 6 months from now the f2p accounts wont be that many with how terrible of a f2p they offer and the subs will probably be around 125k. 

And hopefully the game shuts down a year from now so we can get the Star Wars MMO we deserve.

Haha too funny buddy. Where do you get your facts? I wish I could pull ignorant crap out of my a$$ like some on here do non-stop. I can't wait to be celebrating the 2nd expansion in a year while those like you will still be pouting and pulling crap out of their a$$

uhm, my facts came from EA's investor meetings where they have to give factual data on how successful their game properties are. So theres that.

P.S. Congrats on paying for an expansion that comes out in spring that was originally suppose to release around this time as a content update...for free.

Too bad their f2p has been a huge success! Please provide a link that says they are below 125k. I have never read any investor meeting stating anything below 500k. So how about that link? Oh wow god forbid things changed, they are adding more than just what your talking about. I know selective reading and missed the part of "more information coming". Ill pay $10 to play new content on a game i enjoy. I guess im fortunate to have a job where I dont need to pout about ten bucks.

LOL oh boy

You mention selective reading but I never stated the subs were at 125k... if you read my comment properly you would realize I was making a prediction. The last known sub total was at 500k almost 6 months ago. Im not a math major but if within the first 6 months you lose 1.5 million out of 2 million sales, I think its safe to assume that 6 months later it wont still be at 500k.

Its just common sense.

Oh and F2P has not been a success so far. The reviews on it have been overwhelmingly negative. Sure, you are gonna see a boost in population at first. That always happens with F2P implementations. A month or two from now and that will wear off.

Im glad your happy to give your money away, but I prefer to spend my hard earned money on something worthwhile ....and not something that was supposed to be a free content update.

All mmos lose player after launch its very normal. I am willing to bet swtor will hang around 500k from now on. F2p was a huge success when you look at what it was ment to do and that was bring people back and new players in. People said lotro would be dead a month or two after f2p also. They just released another very good expansion. Yeah they made some mistakes with stuff with f2p, they addressed some of the issues also.
    Its unfortunate to see how delusional some people are about a bad game

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It is your opinion, maybe you are delusional in your opinion that this game is bad. It's actually pretty awesome :)

Why your opinion should have more weight then mine?

To OP: glad that you loke it. You definitely have to make Imperial Agent if you did not try it yet. The story is AMAZING!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

To be honest the game isn't that bad but compared to even older MMOs, it's not good.

• zzx81zzx81 Member Posts: 53

I dont understand why some ppl are just so defensive of something they do not have a full picture of the situation yet.

Look, SWTOR by game is a fairly good game for its story play. but its EA who is causing all these problems.

Look at how many complains from ex-subs and current subs since launch back in 2011. Memory leaks/bugs/population issues/suggestions ignored etc were there for a very long time. EA have totally no idea on running a MMO game. From game launch they crash and burn the p2p model. Now in f2p, its a disaster too.Thats why 2mil sub became 500k subs.

If a game of that standard which can cause 3/4 of its fans to quit on p2p. What makes it think that by forcing people to sub now in f2p model will keep them long. (F2P model is not enticing nor fun at all)

• zzx81zzx81 Member Posts: 53

Oh and i also want to reply.

You know why Lotro is still surviving up till now? Because that game made their F2P model enticing for the f2p players.

Once you purchase a functionality,bags,char slot whatsoever.... thru during your sub period or thru their turbine shop you keep it permanently on your account.

Next, you earn cash shop currency thru grinding mobs. A tedious way BUT there is a way. Motive is to let you have the choice to buy cash shop items if you have plenty of time but just dont want to spend a dime. (Its roughly about 2-3 hours u earn abt 30 turbine pts which is around $0.50, cant rmb the conversion rate)

The main idea is if you dont want to pay a dime, you play the FULL game but u grind a whole lot more than others.

People want to and tend to pay as you are able to earn more than that in real life with that give amount of time spent on grinding. But if you just dont want to pay, go work for it in game.

For SWTOR context, you bloodywell sub and play. OR forget about their F2P model.

You are crippled from start to end 1-50 in all ways possible they can think of. You do not have the option to play the full game on f2p.

Sorry for my poor english rant....  

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by zzx81

I dont understand why some ppl are just so defensive of something they do not have a full picture of the situation yet.

Look, SWTOR by game is a fairly good game for its story play. but its EA who is causing all these problems.

Look at how many complains from ex-subs and current subs since launch back in 2011. Memory leaks/bugs/population issues/suggestions ignored etc were there for a very long time. EA have totally no idea on running a MMO game. From game launch they crash and burn the p2p model. Now in f2p, its a disaster too.Thats why 2mil sub became 500k subs.

If a game of that standard which can cause 3/4 of its fans to quit on p2p. What makes it think that by forcing people to sub now in f2p model will keep them long. (F2P model is not enticing nor fun at all)

Today I learned that calling out posts for factual errors is considered 'so defensive'. 

LOLWUT? Logic??

MMO is horrible at retention, even the sub number king WoW is only 30%.

I enjoy SWTOR and will keep on making alts cause damn does BW know how to write a good story.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

As much shit as I give TOR, I actually enjoyed some of the story aspects. For a single player game, I probably would have expected more from the likes of the smuggler's quest line, but it was certainly enjoyable for the time that it took for me to complete the content. That being said, I don't agree that MMO's should be designed with an end in mind, and linearity is probably the best way to assure one.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

It is your opinion, maybe you are delusional in your opinion that this game is bad. It's actually pretty awesome :)

To OP: glad that you loke it. You definitely have to make Imperial Agent if you did not try it yet. The story is AMAZING!

Oh the irony in that statement

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Most people agreed that leveling to 50 once was fine. It was what happened afterwards that made people leave. The end game is bad and making alts (except for 1 on each faction) is pointless since you go through all the same planets. Yes there are 4 different stories for each side, but honestly its just too boring.

Originally posted by PyrateLV

LOL I know right?

Its one thing to like the game, thats fine. It becomes delusional when someone can act like everything is perfectly fine with the game when CLEARLY the game has had many failures since launch.

The game is on life support and now they are releasing content that should have released by now, ... 4-5 months from now and making customers pay for it.... lol.

They havent announced sub numbers in 6 months after they skyrocketed down.

They have gotten bashed for their poor implementation of F2P.

They made bold statements on content release plans that they have changed more than once and now release content slower than most of the competition.

oh and bugs, ilum, bugs.

I really wanted to love this game, I gave it a good 6-7 months after launch... but its an absolute SHAME the way this game has been handled.

Any true Star Wars fan should want this game to die so we can get the Star Wars MMO we deserve.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by evilastro

Most people agreed that leveling to 50 once was fine. It was what happened afterwards that made people leave. The end game is bad and making alts (except for 1 on each faction) is pointless since you go through all the same planets. Yes there are 4 different stories for each side, but honestly its just too boring.

amen!

found the game extremely boring and didnt enjoy it at all ><

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I would say that ToR is good as a secondary MMORPG that you play casually. I don't feel that it has enough meat on its bones to be a primary MMORPG as far as content goes. It is way too linear, and combat can get somewhat dull after a while, especially post level 30.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

yep, this game isn't perfect and the end game probably does lack if that's all you do.

i level alts and do pvp and its fun for me, i do take breaks though.

i think the problem is people expected to play this game for years and i don't think any new theme park is going to hold players like that anymore.

i think the people that over-exaggerate how bad this game is are worse than the "fanboi's" that over hype games they like.

i can understand people not liking this game and expressing that opinion but if you read the majority of posts here, you would think this game is utter trash and that's just not true, at least not in my opinion and the many others currently playing and enjoying the game.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

SWToR is not a bad game at all. For me it just did not have any lasting value worth the sub price.

Me and a buddy played it for a few months in - co op - mode more or less and had alot of fun. I personally was not interested in token grinding or gear treadmill raiding type of endgame.

Overall I had a decent time in the game and dont regret my purchase. I got my $60 worth out of it in a few months. Just nothing for me to draw me back.

Glad some people enjoy it tho =)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by PyrateLV Originally posted by Sevenstar61 Originally posted by mcburly Its unfortunate to see how delusional some people are about a bad game
    It is your opinion, maybe you are delusional in your opinion that this game is bad. It's actually pretty awesome :) Why your opinion should have more weight then mine?   To OP: glad that you loke it. You definitely have to make Imperial Agent if you did not try it yet. The story is AMAZING!
    LOL I know right?

Its one thing to like the game, thats fine. It becomes delusional when someone can act like everything is perfectly fine with the game when CLEARLY the game has had many failures since launch.

The game is on life support and now they are releasing content that should have released by now, ... 4-5 months from now and making customers pay for it.... lol.

They made bold statements on content release plans that they have changed more than once and now release content slower than most of the competition.

oh and bugs, ilum, bugs.

I really wanted to love this game, I gave it a good 6-7 months after launch... but its an absolute SHAME the way this game has been handled.

Any true Star Wars fan should want this game to die so we can get the Star Wars MMO we deserve.

i don't agree that this game is on life support based on the amount of people that play, especially since F2P launched.

i am not sure how much money those free to play players are actually bringing in but i for sure see more people now than i did before F2P.

when i say more people are playing, i am talking about over 100 people in the newby zones almost at all times and the fleets will have over 200 at peak and never less than 100 at all times.

pvp is much better now too because you are not always just going against pre-mades like when the servers were low pop, if you want to just solo and do WZ's for xp.

also, looking at trade chat and the GTN, people are indeed buying a lot of stuff off the cartel market.

this game does not have the numbers it had hoped for but it is not on life support.

there are games out there with just a handful of servers and i see this game doing better than most of the MMO's out there.

you also mention bugs, bugs are absolutely not a game breaking issue in this game at this time.

lastly, a true star wars fan should be smart enough to realize that if this game dies, another star wars themed mmo may never be made again.

sorry but that just shows your bias and personal agenda against the game, i usually ignore opinions with an agenda like that.

but you are clearly not alone in that.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

LOL I know right?

oh and bugs, ilum, bugs.

SWTOR in life support, they probably have the biggest Dev team in the MMO market, but lets just say is in life support. Sure we have to wait 3-4 months fot the xpac, but we will have content updates every 6 weeks, well the next one will be in 9, after that 6 weeks again, The population is growing everyday, same with subs numbers , i mean while games like Gw2 are losing people everyday, swtor is earning new players once again.  And im a true Star wars fan and i want this game to keep growing everyday, haters gonna hate, easy like that, you dont like the game and is ok, but there is really a lor of people who love it and keep playing it, a lot more than the people who was playing SWG.   

• tumpaitumpai Member Posts: 8
    anyone who has visited this site for any amount of time knows that mmorpg.com is place where people congrigate to talk bad about the game. it is no secret that this website is bias against the game. its like cable news networks.
  • KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    uh oh your upsetting all the swg and the only true gamers that are important the sandbox crowd, swtor was awesome only thing that i didnt like was no real alternate planets to level up on so alts sucked beside their own story. people are always bitching it had no pvp but even months before f2p and since it started my server (jung ma) always had world pvp scheduled or not. only reason i stopped playing is cuz my laptop cant run it that well. enjoy it though and dont listen to the haters, if u like it sweet if not move on

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by hikaru77

LOL I know right?

oh and bugs, ilum, bugs.

SWTOR in life support, they probably have the biggest Dev team in the MMO market, but lets just say is in life support. Sure we have to wait 3-4 months fot the xpac, but we will have content updates every 6 weeks, well the next one will be in 9, after that 6 weeks again, The population is growing everyday, same with subs numbers , i mean while games like Gw2 are losing people everyday, swtor is earning new players once again.  And im a true Star wars fan and i want this game to keep growing everyday, haters gonna hate, easy like that, you dont like the game and is ok, but there is really a lor of people who love it and keep playing it, a lot more than the people who was playing SWG.   

SWG was losing subs too, and when I mentioned that on the forums, I got called a hater too, but SWTOR is losing players as well, population levels are slowing going down again. People just can not handle the truth

After playing SWG, and seeing what SOE could do with SWG with a small handful of devs, I find it hard to believe that SWTOR has the biggest dev team in the MMO market.  They are either all leaving on their own, and not being replaced, or they really do not care about the game. With SWG, the devs were working on the game virtually 24/7, they were just as addicted to coding for the game, as players were of just playing it, and working all hours without additional pay. Posters on the forums were telling the devs to go get some sleep!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    [mod edit]

Not sure what you are getting at there, but SOE never gave up with the game and kept working on it right until the end. LA were responsible mainly for the CU and NGE, and Julio Torres of LA was the main one promoting the NGE, not anyone from SOE. Then when it became aparent that NGE was a failure, LA never appeared on the forums ever again, and SOE took total control, with a small handful of devs comitted to the game above and beyond the call of duty.

If SWTOR devs had SWG NGE, I doubt we would have seen beast master, chronicles etc.They would have just given up, and spread out the content

I also get similar strong commitment from Perfect Wold with STO as well, although not as much as SWG devs, but I am not feeling the love from EA/BW with SWTOR as these 2 games.

SWTOR is a far better game than STO, more polished than SWG, but if the SWTOR devs put as much effort into SWTOR as STO devs do for STO, then I would play SWTOR over STO hands down, but they simply are not.