Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Smedley: MMOs 'Are Stagnant and Stuck in This Model'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has some advice for the future MMOs: "to change the way we do this", even including Sony's games in the statement. Most MMOs today are stuck in the current model of developing content that is quickly eaten up by locusts. This, according to Smed, has to change.

"We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them. It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set."

Read more at Polygon.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Smed is all talk. The proof is in the pudding, I will believe what he is saying when he releases some solid info / footage of EQNext.
  • ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

If my last name was Smedley I would have changed it to something like Silver , Faulkner , Brooks , Tesh or Davidson.

Or I would have given myself a nick name .

But I would never have stuck with the name Smedley.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Well after how well they have handled PS2 I am now looking forward to EQ:next quite a bit.. they have restored my faith in SOE.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Smed is all talk. The proof is in the pudding, I will believe what he is saying when he releases some solid info / footage of EQNext.

The point here is that years before Smedley would NEVER have said any of that, basically he is saying all the stuff we've made before isn't going to work now.

When you hear that they have ditched 2 builds of EQNext already you can only have some sort of respect for the team that are trying to produce hopefully something that isn't out there right now.

I've been let down by SoE in the past, but fortunately I don't hold onto past mistakes, I want to look to the future, some ppl here can't move on (dread to think how much time they must spend in therapy with their RL problems if they can't even get over a game), but ppl need to listen to what the team is saying and then look at what they produce.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    How great would it be with all the trash talk about SOE if they end up being the ones to bring back the sandbox on a large scale. The haters would be butt hurt to the extreme since they all vowed not to touch SOE ever again.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Through all the hate that guy recieves (Hi, SWG) he does speak some truth. It's time to move on from themeparked-movie set style worlds and onto living breathing worlds that can and will change from the actions or non-actions of it's players, sure it might be harder for developers to pull off but i think it's time they rise to the challange, I know they can do it! You can do it!
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    He is absolutely right btw. MMOs are being developed as movie sets but they can't make new scenes fast enough to be devoured by the masses.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

So is everyone. Bioware once champions of games and their reputation alone sold 2 million copies of SWTOR stated it would be huge and have enough content to make KOTOR 3-9 and beyond

If SOE had SWTOR it would have probably sold less than 500K subs

SOE have done good things in 2012

• Saved EQmac from closure following player feedback
    • Finally listened to players (or probably the failure of DCUO) and made it optional to stay with SOE or go with PSS1 (except DCUO)
    • Planetside 2 has been a decent success
    • Now this - showing that someone from the MMO industry is willing to take MMOs to the next level
    Smedley / SOE are the only hope for restoring the magic of MMOs - frightening eh?

I do not really trust any one else. TESO will probably be another WOW clone failure. Blizzard have only done one MMO, and was a fluke.

MMOs are what SOE does, and now they no longer have SWG and its negative aura, SOE are starting to get their mojo back.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

The point here is that years before Smedley would NEVER have said any of that, basically he is saying all the stuff we've made before isn't going to work now.

When you hear that they have ditched 2 builds of EQNext already you can only have some sort of respect for the team that are trying to produce hopefully something that isn't out there right now.

I've been let down by SoE in the past, but fortunately I don't hold onto past mistakes, I want to look to the future, some ppl here can't move on (dread to think how much time they must spend in therapy with their RL problems if they can't even get over a game), but ppl need to listen to what the team is saying and then look at what they produce.

After the runaway success of WoW SoE chased the WoW market and failed.  Now they have realised that there is a gap in the market for a fantasy sandbox after seeing the attention that Archeage has been getting.

I mean, right now he is just throwing out catch phrases to build interest, but there is no passion in making a sandbox for SoE, its all about the money.

Don't get me wrong, I love Norrath and will be at EQNext on Day 1. But Smed has a very long track record of lies and bullshit.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Smedley sure gets the media whipped up, but I think Pathfinder Online is more likely to be a strong sandox fantasy mmorpg: Plenty of information to have a look at such an outlandish claim: *!*

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/719/view/forums/forum/1234/General-Discussion.html

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

People can bash Smed all they want. Out of the countless MMOs I've played, the only two I ever enjoyed was Star Wars Galaxies and EverQuest II.

I think Smed knows what's up and will deliver, so long as EverQuest "Next" isn't geared towards the limited console systems.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

But but, mmorpgs aren't about a world, they aren't about persistency or community, they just need really slick lobbies and kill faster, kill kill!!!!

Smed is right ofc (not something I thought I'd find myself typing out), whether he actually backs up what he says is another matter.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58

3 things that are a must for eq 3

1 racial starting citys

2 omg large raids (make guilds compete)

3 the most important one ,TRAIN TO ZONE !

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Time will tell...

Honestly I think the best thing a game developer can do to save the gaming world is to keep their mouth shut and stop trying to talk to the gaming community.  And for %^&* sake, stop using players as game testers.  Hire real testers and pay them.  Gamers make the worst game testers... you know it and I know it.  It's just cheaper for you to get us to do it for you.  In the end, the product isn't better... it's just plain old before it's even hit the store shelves.

Used to be no one got to try the game before it was released.  Now everyone can.  Might as well tell us everything and everything about the game well before you offer to sell it... because all your game testers surely will.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by superniceguy

So is everyone. Bioware once champions of games and their reputation alone sold 2 million copies of SWTOR stated it would be huge and have enough content to make KOTOR 3-9 and beyond

If SOE had SWTOR it would have probably sold less than 500K subs

SOE have done good things in 2012

• Saved EQmac from closure following player feedback
    • Finally listened to players (or probably the failure of DCUO) and made it optional to stay with SOE or go with PSS1 (except DCUO)
    • Planetside 2 has been a decent success
    • Now this - showing that someone from the MMO industry is willing to take MMOs to the next level
    Smedley / SOE are the only hope for restoring the magic of MMOs - frightening eh?

I do not really trust any one else. TESO will probably be another WOW clone failure. Blizzard have only done one MMO, and was a fluke.

MMOs are what SOE does, and now they no longer have SWG and its negative aura, SOE are starting to get their mojo back.

yeah but SWTORS content amount was related to all the stories in it. if you played all the characters, then yeah, they had that much content.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Well he is definitely right about the genre being stuck.. thats oen fo the reason why im so big on playing GW2. Call it what you want, but its nothing liek everythign else out.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Preach on Smed.

edit - idk about all this f2p stuff... I don't like it. Who cares if I've spent 60$ on ps2 this month! >.>

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Whether or not he believes what he's saying, he's right about the nature of the genre.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I do believe he is correct. Games have become stagnant and stuck on the same old stuff. Do hope they pull this off, but if not there are other sandboxes on the way.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    We need more good sanbox mmorpgs. I'm glad companies are finally coming around to this, and HOPEFULLY, we'll start seeing them stop cloning. One thing I didn't like that he said though was Free to play...ugh...I've never played an mmorpg yet that has held my attention more than a month or two when it was a buy to play or free to play. I'd much rather a good subscription game. We'll have to see how it goes with EQ Next I guess.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by health001

3 things that are a must for eq 3

1 racial starting citys

2 omg large raids (make guilds compete)

3 the most important one ,TRAIN TO ZONE !

sandboxes dont have raids, thats a themepark feature to keep you content while they try to make more content.

i never said sand box in my statement O_o But if u want to go their then!! Both eq games had massive raids 100+ :) atleast eq 1 did .Nothing like having 2 or 4 rival guilds going after one raid boss :) man the chat spam alone shesh lol ,good times.Those where true stress tests on servers :D

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Sorry. I didn't believe a single word of it as it came from Smegley. If that guy told me grass was green I would have to go outside and check it.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    He does have a point that alot of people ask about any new mmo comeout is it p2p or f2p and most mmo develop try too find wat business model they prefer too take a risk on.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I have a feeling this might be a good game, but the core everquest fan base will hate it for not being a raid grinder
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

So sick of the F2P bandwagon seriously. The reason subs arent working is because the newer games suck lol.

Sandbox and F2P? image

Dont know, just dont think it will work. Cant have restrictions on a sandbox and thats what F2P models do.