Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpy: Shocking Interview With The War Z Developer

Comments

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

My favourite part when he gets asked if Steam or Hammerpoint would handle refunds:

"...they sell the game, get payments from customers, they process refunds, fraud, etc and once in awhile they send us money with reporting on how many units were sold, fraud/refunds, etc."

Seems he thinks that a certain number of fraud accusations is common practice with games sold on Steam. Hey, you win some and lose some, right..? image

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Kinda like this part too:

"GameSpy: Steam still says -- I'm looking at it right now -- "Up to 100 players per game server." That is a false claim.

Sergey Titov: Let me ask you -- what YOU think we should put there"

haha, he dodged the whole question by asking gamespy what they would do

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Kinda like this part too:

"GameSpy: Steam still says -- I'm looking at it right now -- "Up to 100 players per game server." That is a false claim.

Sergey Titov: Let me ask you -- what YOU think we should put there"

haha, he dodged the whole question by asking gamespy what they would do

I saw that too. Considering it's not GameSpy's game they don't have to make that choice haha

Smile

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

Sounds to me he needs a PR more than anything, but seriously, guys...

The nitpicking about server cap was ridiculous.  It seemed Gamespy was on the offensive, and he went into defensive mode: defending his position.  The servers are now 'confirmed' to host up to 100 players.  Perhaps, this nitpicking by Gamespy led to the developers confrontational stance throughout the rest of the interview?

Look, I understand everyone loves drama, and waits with drool and baited breath for the next game fail, but seriously... both sides are at fault for unprofessionalism.

Originally posted by Warley

Sounds to me he needs a PR more than anything, but seriously, guys...

The nitpicking about server cap was ridiculous.  It seemed Gamespy was on the offensive, and he went into defensive mode: defending his position.  The servers are now 'confirmed' to host up to 100 players.  Perhaps, this nitpicking by Gamespy led to the developers confrontational stance throughout the rest of the interview?

Look, I understand everyone loves drama, and waits with drool and baited breath for the next game fail, but seriously... both sides are at fault for unprofessionalism.

What are you talking about? GameSpy wasn't nitpicking! He continued to refuse to give a real answer and GameSpy just kept tyring to get one that wasn't "well we can say that it can host up to 100 because it can even though it doesn't right now." Blame the guy for giving an answer that sucked.

Smile

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    I don't see the problem in saying "up to" that is the verbiage and presentation of say the way your internet speed is sold. It's a range with a bottom one being mentioned. I didn't read it and think jebus I'll play this and there will be 99 others around me all the time. I have a mild issue -  as the top end number in this case 100 wasn't in the game officially yet. Not really a game breaker though. The guy could have responded better with the customer experience point of view more. Whether the system supported 100+ folks couldn't DL and play with 100. Can assume things in marketing and a simple clarity point / addendum like *Coming Soon - Support for X number of players would of been a better approach.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery
    I don't see the problem in saying "up to" that is the verbiage and presentation of say the way your internet speed is sold. It's a range with a bottom one being mentioned. I didn't read it and think jebus I'll play this and there will be 99 others around me all the time. I have a mild issue -  as the top end number in this case 100 wasn't in the game officially yet. Not really a game breaker though. The guy could have responded better with the customer experience point of view more. Whether the system supported 100+ folks couldn't DL and play with 100. Can assume things in marketing and a simple clarity point / addendum like *Coming Soon - Support for X number of players would of been a better approach.

The thing it's not "up to" because the server cannot in fact host up to 100 players, but only 50. That's why it's false advertising.

Smile

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Although I do agree that the company obviously mislead the public and didn't have listed features included....and this guy is an obvious jerk, I still have to say this proves a pivitol point with gaming and a lot of gamers of today.

Gamers will buy ANYTHING that developer's put out, and Gamers are spoiled and whiners. They complain it doesn't have EXACTLY what is mentioned inthe official game features list (Rightfully so)...but many still buy, and many still play it. If more gamers boycotted and simply didn't stand for it and made themselves heard with their wallets instead of long rants in forums, etc....this would happen less. Instead, it happens more and more.

Seems since English is obviously not their 1st language nor the companies apparently....their definition of things and those of say the U.S., U.K. mean different things more than trying to purposely mislead. Language barrier I feel plays a large part here. Tough situation. I see lawsuits in their future.

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Although I do agree that the company obviously mislead the public and didn't have listed features included....and this guy is an obvious jerk, I still have to say this proves a pivitol point with gaming and a lot of gamers of today.

Gamers will buy ANYTHING that developer's put out, and Gamers are spoiled and whiners. They complain it doesn't have EXACTLY what is mentioned inthe official game features list (Rightfully so)...but many still buy, and many still play it. If more gamers boycotted and simply didn't stand for it and made themselves heard with their wallets instead of long rants in forums, etc....this would happen less. Instead, it happens more and more.

Seems since English is obviously not their 1st language nor the companies apparently....their definition of things and those of say the U.S., U.K. mean different things more than trying to purposely mislead. Language barrier I feel plays a large part here. Tough situation. I see lawsuits in their future.

If they have language problems than they need to get a translator. They cannot use that as an excuse for blatantly lying.

Smile

Also Sergey apparently is making up lies to his userbase saying that the reason that WarZ is no longer on steam is because they ran out of keys... Wow, this guy just does not stop with the lies. Someone get him out of there and get someone with good PR skills.

Smile

• DiospyrosDiospyros Member Posts: 15

Those interested in Titov's history should read up on this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing

It is widely regarded as one of the worst racing games of all time and appears to have been released in alpha state.  Note Sergey Titov was the producer and programmer.

(Apologies if someone already posted that.  I didn't see it mentioned when I looked through the comments)

Originally posted by Diospyros

Those interested in Titov's history should read up on this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing

It is widely regarded as one of the worst racing games of all time and appears to have been released in alpha state.  Note Sergey Titov was the producer and programmer.

(Apologies if someone already posted that.  I didn't see it mentioned when I looked through the comments)

Yeah I mentioned this already, but I also just sort of assumed most people knew about that because of all the people who already have talked about that in other threads. The YouTube videos of the game are good for a good laugh at least.

Smile

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

These guys are on the extreme defensive and they are going to stay there. 

It's like a kid running a lemonade stand except he's actually just selling garden hose water and calling it lemonade and then will sit there for an hour and argue about the definition of "lemonade". 

All this is.  Just childish garbage on the part of the developer. 

This "game" is nothing but a mod to an already poor, buggy game called War Inc.  It was not developed for years.  This mod, called a full "game" is likely less than six months of development.  Since Day Z was such a phenominon they took War Inc. and modded it quickly.  Then they claim they've made a "brand new" game called War Z that's been in development for years. 

Man that sure is a coincidence!!!  Day Z is this mod that built a huge fan base and you just happened to be working on a game called War Z for two years, with zombies and stuff!  I mean that's just a coincidence I can't even....WOW!  How neato! 

These guys lie.  They're in it for a cash grab, desperately grabbing money from the Day Z fanbase of players and zombie apocalypse enthusiests.  They are ripping people off and they know it. 

Their attitude shows exactly that of a rip off artist.  " Well lemonade to you might mean it actually has lemons in it, but they also have lemon flavored water.  Yea I know this doesn't taste like lemons to you, even lemon water, but it does to me.  Some people are allergic to lemons!  What about them?  Its not what my customers WANTED! " - says the little dishonest twerp running the fake lemonade stand. 

DO NOT BUY this game.  Its just a shameless cash grab, and you will continue to hear childish excuses from those involved because that's what people who run little scams do.  Its that kind of mentality.  DO NOT BUY War Z under any circumstances.  Just get Arma 2 and play Day Z.  That's the real deal. 

This is just a rip off scam.  They know it is.  They are proud of every buck they scam out of players.  They aren't proud of their game, but instead, like a usual scam artist, are proud of their cleverness that allowed them to earn money from poor, stupid players who they ripped off. 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

this guy is delusional.

oh and i ran across this too:

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/72941-warz-artists-plagiarized-the-walking-dead-copy-and-pasted-and-just-photoshopped/

probly old news but not to me and im sure there are some others out there as well.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

Wow... put aside the whole "vaperware or not" situation...

THIS GUY... IS A IDIOT!!!

While obviously this interview is a trap set up by Gamespy (can't really blame them but, just look at the way they ask their question... like daggers with 100~400 different kinds poisons XD), this Sergey guy should know better. What the game need now is damage control, and yet he pratically decided that picking a fight with the press is the best way to do it.

Fraud or not, man he's so~ screwed.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by leoo88556
    this Sergey guy should know better.

You are exactly right.

Short of that, this is what happens when you get the people who make the game talking. Unless they have actual social skills, have an actual sense of P.R., they should never be allowed to speak to press.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by leoo88556
    this Sergey guy should know better.

You are exactly right.

Short of that, this is what happens when you get the people who make the game talking. Unless they have actual social skills, have an actual sense of P.R., they should never be allowed to speak to press.

The thing is apparently he does have perfectly fine social skills according to players who've been around when he comes onto the game to ask other players questions (that's rare but still).

Smile

Originally posted by chelan

this guy is delusional.

oh and i ran across this too:

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/72941-warz-artists-plagiarized-the-walking-dead-copy-and-pasted-and-just-photoshopped/

probly old news but not to me and im sure there are some others out there as well.

Wow, that's such a blatant rip off O_o

P.S. Fixed the link for you too :-)

Smile

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Quailman

I posted this link in another thread:

http://kotaku.com/5969927/some-war-z-images-were-ripped-from-the-walking-dead?tag=The-War-Z

Funny stuff.

Ha, it's not the first time they took "inspiration" from other sources. Are you familiar with the television show American Horror Story? Well, the menu music for this game sounds awfully similar to the intro music for that show.

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

Also watch this video, it's hilarious and sums up WarZ as it stands now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrKdAjN4DM&feature=player_embedded

Smile

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

I dunno.. I ready it just now, and it seemed like Gamespy were attacking the guy unnecessarily over the same minor issues. He was pretty blunt about it. Maybe he could have said things in a different way, but Gamespy were being a litle bit douchey about it all. I would be frustrated too, if I were him.

The main point of contention seems to be this 100 player thing. In the original Steam feature list, it says 'Up to 100'. Then people start crying about it when they only see 50? And that's the main point Gamespy kept bashing him over the head with.

The whole thing seemed kinda lame and blown out of proportion to me. Then again, I'm not interested in the game, so I can afford to be objective.

It just seems to me that the sense of entitlement among gamers has risen sharply in the last 5 years. Like, any time a few small details are out of place, people scream 'law suite!' and grab pitchforks.

Seriously, if you're interested in this game, and the core idea of the features interests you, just pay your Goddamn money and play it, give it a shot. Quit whining because you think 'up to 100' means 100 exactly!

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Ok, I was on the fence about this game since DayZ isn't "released" yet. But after reading the arrogance of this guy, no touching this game at all.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Originally posted by korvass

I dunno.. I ready it just now, and it seemed like Gamespy were attacking the guy unnecessarily over the same minor issues. He was pretty blunt about it. Maybe he could have said things in a different way, but Gamespy were being a litle bit douchey about it all. I would be frustrated too, if I were him.

The main point of contention seems to be this 100 player thing. In the original Steam feature list, it says 'Up to 100'. Then people start crying about it when they only see 50? And that's the main point Gamespy kept bashing him over the head with.

The whole thing seemed kinda lame and blown out of proportion to me. Then again, I'm not interested in the game, so I can afford to be objective.

It just seems to me that the sense of entitlement among gamers has risen sharply in the last 5 years. Like, any time a few small details are out of place, people scream 'law suite!' and grab pitchforks.

Seriously, if you're interested in this game, and the core idea of the features interests you, just pay your Goddamn money and play it, give it a shot. Quit whining because you think 'up to 100' means 100 exactly!

The thing is it is a big deal because it's not true at all. It lies on the page by saying "up to 100' when actually only 50 can play on a server. Lying on "game features" is a pretty big deal in my book and the thing is when asked if he'd be willing to change it he basically said "No, screw off."

Smile

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Ok, I was on the fence about this game since DayZ isn't "released" yet. But after reading the arrogance of this guy, no touching this game at all.

This is kind of a point for me. No offence to you or your opinion, but what does it matter if he's arrogant? It's not like you have to have a beer with him, or look after his goldfish. :)

Surely the only thing that should matter to you as a gamer, is whether the game is fun for you to play and invest money in.