Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Leaving SOE for Portalus Games

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that Pirates of the Burning Sea will be leaving its stable of MMOs on January 31st. PotBS will be developed and republished by Portalus Games, a new company made up of former Flying Lab Software employees. Characters will be carried over if a Portalus account is linked to the currently existing SOE account.

First I would like to reassure all of our players that the game will remain free-to-play, and the transition should be seamless. Both the Antigua and Roberts servers will be maintained and all of your existing characters will be available as long as you complete the migration process for each account before January 31st.

However, Portalus Games is not Flying Lab Software. We have witnessed the results of our choices since the move to free-to-playboth for the game and for FLS as a business. It would be a disservice to the game's loyal fans if we let it end as a result of those decisions, and we are currently evaluating necessary changes to keep the game seaworthy.

Find out more on the Portalus Games site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

This really was a great game.  Incredible PvP system.  But they did a lot of things horribly wrong.  And they really have to address those things (never listening to even the clear majority of testers, never a consistent design, horrible avcom and open sea mechanics, bad port conquest system, etc.)

I still see no indiciation that they understand what went wrong before.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

People still play this?  Had no idea...hmfff

Wish it the best, although, when I played it, which was years ago, the game was pretty un-impressive.

I also agree with the above poster that the game seemed to lack a clear and consistent design.
  • katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977
    Very interesting.  It's good to see a relatively unique MMO do something like this instead of folding.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

SOE is removing themselves from any bad media by closing down another game.

This sounds like maybe Flying Labs is about to claim bankruptcy and is reopening under new management but some of the same employees.I mean if Flying Labs was the partner,they are not all of a sudden removed or out of the picture with no talk of mergers,sell offs,basically nothing.

IMO this is all about money tinkering,i am 99% sure they know this is not a money maker,so they are up to no good.You know how it works,give themselves some nice pay cheques ,run the debt up then claim bankrupt,close down the corporate number.

Just the way this whole thing is worded tells you something is not right. "Leaving it's stables".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it was always a sleeper game for me.

a good game with some bad implementation here and there. but some really great ideas too.

I hope the new company really does "develop" it as i am sure there's a damn good MMO somewhere in there.  it's one of the very few MMO that have had me sub for over a year.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by itchmon

I hope the new company really does "develop" it as i am sure there's a damn good MMO somewhere in there.  it's one of the very few MMO that have had me sub for over a year.

Its not a new company.  Same company, different name, self publishing now.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Good news I think... I might pick it up again when they're gone from $O€.
  • heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

Yup If your interested as I was I D/Led the game from sony and in jan. they will post a number to switch to the new company no cost and they say it will be more like pirates 101 style for paying to play. It is definatly three of the flying labs guys in seattle that bought it back from $OE.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Wizardry

This sounds like maybe Flying Labs is about to claim bankruptcy and is reopening under new management but some of the same employees.I mean if Flying Labs was the partner,they are not all of a sudden removed or out of the picture with no talk of mergers,sell offs,basically nothing.

The publishing company is the FL crew. You're posting there's no news of the transition in the news item about the transition. You realize that, right? 

IMO this is all about money tinkering,i am 99% sure they know this is not a money maker,so they are up to no good.You know how it works,give themselves some nice pay cheques ,run the debt up then claim bankrupt,close down the corporate number.

Do you have inside info on secret investors that no one else knows about? If not, where is FL getting this alleged pile of cash to make off with?

Just the way this whole thing is worded tells you something is not right. "Leaving it's stables".

"stable of games" is a very common term for the collection of online titles a developer or publisher has. 

That was one heck of a reach to find some kind of fault in otherwise good news.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I actually went back to it as a subscriber last month.

Its ship combat is great. Its AV-Com (avatar combat) is much better than it was. Better choices, more responsive.

It still has some of the best quest/mission text of any game Ive played.

And the background conversations you get while standing in certain places can be hilarious. "Come at me again and I will slash your throat!" says the man in a very posh British voice.

It is fun game, it really is. But it sufferes from being 1 1/2 dimensional. The "1" being is great ship combat, the "1/2" being its somewhat lackluster avatar gameplay.

And to be completly honest some really shitty game mechanics.

Its a fun game to throw $15 at for a few months, or not if you want to play free, but sadly not much longer than that. It get repedtitive fast.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

hmm i have always been interested in this game when it was pure sub. but never bothered to try it, still not sure if ill find time to, but switching publishers.. wont that effect the game it self?

patches or localization ect..??

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Ichmen

hmm i have always been interested in this game when it was pure sub. but never bothered to try it, still not sure if ill find time to, but switching publishers.. wont that effect the game it self?

Now I cant say Im an expert at this. But from what I got from the FLS and SOE partership was that SoE handeled the "advertising" the customer support and maybe the hosting. But Flagship Studios was their own company and SoE got to skim some of the profits for services rendered.

Cant back that up with anything more than what Ive heard over the years and the fact that PotBS is being allowed to go independent instead of SoE sinking it like it does its other under-performing games. And Im sure under-performing is very much open to interpretation.

It seemed to have a fairly active community on its two servers, it sure wasnt a ghost town. But out of the people I seen how many were free players and multi account players, that Im not sure of.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• dalin89dalin89 Member Posts: 33
    Its a fun game, I think...
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Say what you want abot SOE but at least they let the rights to this game go it's own way to a company filled with people who used to work on it.

Thousands of CoH fans are wishing right now NCSoft would have given them the same courtesy.

Nice to see that anyone that still plays it won't be affected and being in a place that will give the game undivided attention and resources, I hope the game expereince gets improved for them.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Say what you want abot SOE but at least they let the rights to this game go it's own way to a company filled with people who used to work on it.

Thousands of CoH fans are wishing right now NCSoft would have given them the same courtesy.

Nice to see that anyone that still plays it won't be affected and being in a place that will give the game undivided attention and resources, I hope the game expereince gets improved for them.

I agree with what you say here, but I will add that I wish that they had done the same thing years ago with Vanguard instead of letting it hang on life support for all that time.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

AHOY MATEYS!!! HIDE YOUR SCUPPERS AND BURY YOUR STEAL!!! cof cof cof!.......Sorry!.....

I always sub to this around christmas, It's that stupid song about the wren. It gets me all in the christmas spirit and tings. Anyroad I hope that now it's out of the hands of S.O.E it can get some much needed updates. A song about a wren in a christmas event will only carry your game so far ;)

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Their Christmas themes were awesome.  best was the one guy who bemoaned how Christmas had lost its meaning with many people.  And what does he do to explain this?  Belt's out Veni Veni Emmanuel in the Latin.

I found that kinda epic.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Wizardry

SOE was only publishing the game, Flying Labs was the sole developer, SOE didn't have anything to do with development.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by Ichmen

Now I cant say Im an expert at this. But from what I got from the FLS and SOE partership was that SoE handeled the "advertising" the customer support and maybe the hosting. But Flagship Studios was their own company and SoE got to skim some of the profits for services rendered.

Cant back that up with anything more than what Ive heard over the years and the fact that PotBS is being allowed to go independent instead of SoE sinking it like it does its other under-performing games. And Im sure under-performing is very much open to interpretation.

It seemed to have a fairly active community on its two servers, it sure wasnt a ghost town. But out of the people I seen how many were free players and multi account players, that Im not sure of.

Yup, this is it, FLS was the dev, and SOE was the publisher.  

• captALLANcaptALLAN Member Posts: 2

Bonjours à tous

Hi all

Sorry my French

Il faudras êtres patients!

Moi je joue deouis deux ans,,Robert côter Français,,,,Commerçant Indépendant (et libre pas de soc)

depuis un mois!

Se que j'aime dans ce jeux s'est l'époque!

A bientôt

Allan

• PnakoticPnakotic Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'm amused to see that the picture provided with the article is the old "good" AvCom system they scrapped at the end of 2008. I'd love it if they brought that back!
  • PnakoticPnakotic Member UncommonPosts: 5
    double-post
  • WolfmeisterWolfmeister Member UncommonPosts: 50

churchbell sized balls they have... the devs taking charge of their own creation:)

Now if I could just figure out how to get my old account to work!

We are the Founding Fathers in this virtual world in which we create. As such it seems we must do what our Founding Fathers had to do.. in order to let our fellow gamers have a fair shake.