Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want SWTOR to fail?

Comments

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by MoutonDocile

Why would anyone WANT something to fail? Is it going to make you feel better?

You don't like it? You think it failed? Good for you. But do you want it to fail?

I don't care for SWTOR but I don't want it to fail.

Becouse some players think that if something that was supposed to be that big fails it will be a headsup for studios already planning on releasing yet another eq-wow-clone.

I personally just don't care. I am done with tab-targetting and rotation of skills. Sick of it already. I keep track of these forums in case something actually new comes up, but I am not playing any MMO and haven't for many months. Currently on the Firefall beta, disappointed by some stuff but aware of the potential, hoping it turns out to be something actually interesting.

For example, I personally think that one of the reasons for EVE's many years of steady growth is that it's different in many aspects.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Praetalus

First off, I voted no as I don't care to see any game "fail". 

Secondly; there are some sick people out there. Mmo fans are easily the worst I've ever seen.. Everyone is misreble. Everyone hates every game but the one the're playing, they hope games fail and argue all day long. I"ve never seen a group of people sit around and try to "outsmart" other posters more then an mmo fan. 

This site is becoming more and more depressing everyday and I fear for this genre. 

This site has been this way ever since I started posting here in 2006. A bunch of miserable cry babies who go around from forum to forum bashing games they don't like. When you ask them what game they are playing, 9 times out of 10 they won't give an answer. The WOW forums have had to deal with the most of it because that was the game everyone flocked to and forced lesser MMOs to shut down. The TOR forum has had to deal with the nuts every since pre-release when the announcement came that TOR wasn't going to be a sandbox MMO. Fans of Elder Scrolls Online are getting a taste of the same thing right now. 

Whats hilarious is the idiots who think tthat if this game fails, themparks will cease to be made and another Star Wars MMO is guarenteed. It isn't. 

You never see this in any other form of entertainment. I've never seen anyone say "I hated that movie so I hope it fails so that movies like it are never made again." What kind of upbringing breeds that sort of narcissitst mentality and why does it tend to  flock to MMO's?

Two comments about your post.

1) Maybe people won't answer to "what are you playing now" becouse they don't want the thread to be derailed and becouse the question smells like "since you are bashing my game, I am going to bash yours".

2) As a musician and music lover, another form of entertainment, I badly want all these bland-cloned-dumb-uninteresting bands to fail horribly, so that I finally can turn on the radio or the TV and listen to interesting music instead digging forums and websites to get to know the bands that are actually worth it.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by ControlBlue

Voted 'yes'.

If the game and its F2P model fails, it will show the industry that F2P is not to be implemented with frustration of the customers in mind but with gaining their support.

For the good of the industry, the players, and F2P, SWTOR must, and is highly likely to,  fail!

You are already 3 years too late, F2P is not thriving because companies want it to, it is thriving because it works, but carry on "playing Salmon" if it makes you feel better, or justified or wtf ever.

I votedNo, because I enjoy the game & get a great deal of fun out of it, I'm a member of a guild of likeminded people & so I get to experience the game positively as a direct result of that common interest.

Personally I think SWTOR is just the "poster child" for a lot of "I hate soandso design" voices. But the elements found in SWTOR permeate virtually all MMO, so perhaps you should really be asking yourself if it's SWTOR you hate or just MMO's in general?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I don't want them to fail, I want them to WAKE UP, admit the game has game design flaws and go revamp it.

This game needs more SWG gameplay feel and less on rails theme park

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Personally, I don't care about the outcome, at least not aynmore.

I'm posting here just to contribute to clarification of SWTOR issue: people want good Star Wars MMO.

Whether it means that we want EA to invest money to make this game a solid MMO or pull the plug, so another developer gets a shot at making new AAA SW MMO, it's pretty much irrelevant.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    I voted yes, because if it fails, not only it, but all themeparks-wow clones-single player MMOs fail, devs one day will realize that they need to stop making it and start bringing us REAL MMORPGS again.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I don't want any game to fail - really. It is only a game after all. It won't cure cancer, give me a pay raise, deal with gun control or deal with the fiscal cliff.

I have more important things to worry about.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    No, why would I want any game to fail? People enjoy it and good on them.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It already has failed though hasn't it, according to EAs own terms?

"10 million subs like wow" thinking

This was also the problem with warhammer, ea thinking they were going to get a wow killer.

Basicly ea need to stay the hell away from mmos.
  • VossikVossik Member Posts: 24
    I voted no because it'll be 7-10 years before there's another starwars mmo.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It already has failed though hasn't it, according to EAs own terms?

"10 million subs like wow" thinking

This was also the problem with warhammer, ea thinking they were going to get a wow killer.

Basicly ea need to stay the hell away from mmos.

So using that same logic shall i say that GW2 is a failure too? because Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW in numbers and become number one? something that is never going to happen.

Sorry but your reasonign here is flawed. A lot of companies make claims they want to beat WOW and none has been able to do so.. EA is not the only one.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

no, i dont want to see it fail. if u think this would "teach devs a lesson" then think again. i loved the game. played from day 1 and reached endgame. loved to raid. just didnt have enough to keep me going. now i agree since it went f2p they have really shafted the players with their f2p model. but i do remember this same kind of topic about SWG. players wanted that to shut down so we could get a better SW game. how did that turn out for all of u?

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

I said "no" because I really wish that SWTOR would not fail. However, I have not seen enough content post hitting level 50 to make me think that it is worth a recurring subscription fee. I see nothing of value in the so-called "f2p" model either. So, I am leaving this game and will not return once my current sub runs out in about 50 days. 

Let's party like it is 1863!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the opinions (on this game) of people that said yes should not be taken serious.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

No I do not want to see it fail.

Grow and become a much better MMO, yes I would like to see that. For me it was a decent game, but more of a solo/co op type of game for a few months.

I think having variety in the games available is a good thing, I cant want something to fail, people lose jobs, ect just because its not what I personally wanted out of it.

Anyone who does need to re examine a few things 0.o

I think Bioware  " thought " the game was going to be huge, Way way over hyped it, spent too much money on VO, made alot of other mistakes along the way and are now paying for it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

SWG was more worthy of the IP than this game, which is terribly designed and implemented.  It's death would send shock waves through the industry as well, due to the enormous amount of money spent. 

The game is not without some good points though.  It could improve but I don't see it doing so, at least not with the devs they have running things.  So I voted yes.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    I never want to see an MMO fail, but in this case, I picked yes because SWTOR already has failed. As a single player game with a co-op feature, I did enjoy the for a few months and then I moved on. As an MMO, it failed to give me the immersive,  "living" world with many of the features I expect from such a game.

• ControlBlueControlBlue Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Skuz

You are already 3 years too late, F2P is not thriving because companies want it to, it is thriving because it works, but carry on "playing Salmon" if it makes you feel better, or justified or wtf ever.

I votedNo, because I enjoy the game & get a great deal of fun out of it, I'm a member of a guild of likeminded people & so I get to experience the game positively as a direct result of that common interest.

Personally I think SWTOR is just the "poster child" for a lot of "I hate soandso design" voices. But the elements found in SWTOR permeate virtually all MMO, so perhaps you should really be asking yourself if it's SWTOR you hate or just MMO's in general?

3 years?? Damn League of Legends is getting old :P

If you believe what Bioware has implemented in SWTOR is an actual F2P, you are sorely mistaken. This is a demo masquerading as an F2P option. F2P does mean 'free' and with the possibility of enjoying all all the game content either through time or money,

Can I enjoy WZs, OPs, and FPs if I play a lot? No, I have to pay one way or the other.

SWTOR is F2P done wrong, the kind of model LoL tried to kill and that games like GW2 and Firefall are triying to erase from the business model history, I hope that the likes of LoL, GW2, Aion, LotRO, Planetside 2, and Firefall will keep growing or making money while the likes of SWTOR, and DCUO will keep failing, as it will show the industry that they can't play mind games with people and hope to get their money.

You should be very afraid if games that thrive on frustrating you becomes successful, game designers will abuse those techniques to milk you, and being a subscriber won't be of any help! Games will be about manipulating you instead just giving you great gameplay.

I'm not playing Solomon, this is a REAL issue, one you will have to deal with in the years to come. Keep fanboying and one day you will wake up to see that all your games will have restrictions left and right to force you to drop more money. Is that what you want for gaming?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by ControlBlue
    Originally posted by Skuz

3 years?? Damn League of Legends is getting old :P

If you believe what Bioware has implemented in SWTOR is an actual F2P, you are sorely mistaken. This is a demo masquerading as an F2P option. F2P does mean 'free' and with the possibility of enjoying all all the game content either through time or money.

Just in to point out that thats a definition you completely made up. I could just aswell go an say F2P means im getting a raise a free coupon of MCDonalds.

Free beer is something else than free speech, and free software might very well cost you money.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i gotta say ive never ever wanted to see any game company fail and people lose their jobs but with that being said EA and Bioware are getting away right now with ripping off and screwing their playerbase so hardcore its not even funny. They are completely living off the wealth of the IP and doing nothing at all but adding in more cash grab garbage. I used to like this game regardless of its bad rap but after that idiot jeff hickman took over EA pushed out their market I come to hate this game and the people designing it. If this game is successful after all the failures and bad decisions and terrible free to play restrictions , other companies are going to look at the model and see what they can get away with themselves.
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Voted yes.

It's a bad game that doesn't justify the cost (development or customer). It over promised, and underdelivered to the n'th degree. They had plenty of player feedback years before launch telling them the exact same thing they now know through exit surveys. They chose to develop in a vacuum with their fingers in their ears all the while telling the fans that they know what the next big thing is (fourth pillar... yadda yadda... fully voiced...blah blah... Starfox space missions...).  Their mistake of not listening is now a very expensive, fatal mistake. It's not like their failure is a surprise to anyone who's been following SWTOR for the last 2 years.

They made their bed, now they must lay in it.

Also, if the game fails, we can get on with the next SW themed MMO (how could it get worse?).

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

It already failed as an mmo.  As a game, i hope people buy it and enjoy it to support gaming in general, but a long term mmo experience it is not.

Not all who wander are lost...

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I don't understand how anyone could really wish for a game to fail.

There are times when I've become frustrated by developers and/or companies, but that was more out of a knee-jerk emotional response.  But wishing the demise for a game just because....call me whatever but that's just some bad karma there.

And I do strongly believe what goes around comes around.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I voted yes, mainly because I think it would help other developers realize that there's more to a MMORPG than following the WoW model and a heavy focus on the single-player experience.

<3

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

No I don't want it to "fail".

Don't get me wrong I think it is a pile of shite, but then it is enough for me simply not to play the thing.

If it fails it wont suddenly mean people make mmos that I have an interest in.

If it fails, it is a kick in the teeth for those people who enjoy the game. I can't see why they enjoy it, but I don't want them to lose their enjoyment simply because I don't like it.

If it fails, I wont feel all snug and warm because I have been somehow vindicated in not liking the game/style of game.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

This discussion has been closed.