Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has 2012 killed mmos for you.

Hey guys im not a real big poster or a forum type of guy buy this is killing me so i need to get this of my chest

Has 2012 MMO'S killed gaming for you to ?

See for me i cant get in to anything theses days i have and own every game on the market and play test alot of game's still to come out yet no matter what game i play or how new or old the game is i cant get in to it. 

Have any of you had this problem. ?

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Not really I still enjoy GW2.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No got me regularly playing them again. Ps2 is the most fun I've had in a mmo for years. Gw2 and tsw I feel were an improvement upon the last few years too, way less wow clone than say swtor or rift.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Well, I thought I was getting burned out on mmos but found it's not me.  I'm playing Vanilla WoW again and loving it.  I have a 25 Druid and 20 Warlock.  I find myself daydreaming strategies and what I'll do next, just like the good old days.  I have not had this feeling in several years.

Again it's not me but the crap that is out there now !

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

2012 didn't kill MMOs for me, but I'm still only playing occasionally.  It's hard for me to get excited over MMOs anymore.  Seems that everything is either just a rehash of games that I'm burnt out on, or designed in a way that I don't find the gameplay enjoyable.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218
    At best I dabbled with a few of MMORPG's during 2012 but didn't find anything that grabbed my attention and kept me interested in playing for more than two weeks at a time.  I wouldn't say its killed gaming for me because there are still a couple of games I'm looking forward to playing (hopefully in 2013), but I can say that 2011-2012 definitely changed the types of games that I've put much of my time into. 
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    No, I'm playing Guild Wars 2, Dota 2, Heroes of Newerth and Skyrim.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Nope not really, i've played Vanguard and TSW and bought GW2 only to get a refund 3 months later, so that's the game that's been disappointing. Funny thing is i've actually found a great MMO towards the end of the year, it's not for everyone and is not your typical easy mode like GW2 and such.

Age Of Wushu is a breath of fresh air in this stagnant cesspit of current MMO.

After playing the first western beta i haven't really been able to play any other MMO but today the wait is over.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by mazrath

Hey guys im not a real big poster or a forum type of guy buy this is killing me so i need to get this of my chest

See for me i cant get in to anything theses days i have and own every game on the market and play test alot of game's still to come out yet no matter what game i play or how new or old the game is i cant get in to it. 

Maybe you must find another hobby.. Go outside, plan days with your girl or something.. Live your life.. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by mazrath

Nah, though it has brought about a return to older titles such as EQ2 for me.

I will be trying FFXIV though for sure, and AA when it finally gets here. No rush for for either though tbh, I am happy enough right now.

What I do think though is that games like TES are gonna be hit by recent releases and the wave of general cynicism they have created... I think it's an awful time to try to be pushing an MMORPG.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

NO.

Actually 2012 has restored my faith in the MMO genre!

Guild Wars 2 is the Best MMORPG i´ve played in years & still play it & enjoy it every day!

The Secret World is my second choice and i´m having a blast playing it too!

For me this year have been the best in MMO gaming ^^

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    No. I still play EVE actively, GW2 was a refreshing game to play (having a break of it thought) and I recently got TSW since it went b2p. So yeah, I'm still enjoying myself with both old and new MMO's

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Well it's made me realize that it's going to take a very special game for me to ever enjoy a themepark MMO again. The way themeparks are made currently doesn't appeal to me at all, the ones on the market pretty much feel like several low-medium quality singleplayer and multiplayer games that you can enter from one lobby. None of the themepark games on the market atm offers me anything that non-MMO games don't do alot better.

I'm hoping for a new sandbox game to get me excited again, EvE is the only MMO that interests me currently but I'm not playing it right now.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I'm not as hooked on MMOs as I once was, but 2012 has been better than any year for quite a while now.

• GunClericGunCleric Member Posts: 4
    i do tho every day me the missis and the kid do loads of outing and meals the thing is at night when i finish work and come home to relax to play the one thing that gives me sanctuary. it feels like all theses new games and old dont have it anymore that feel of adventure.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    TSW saved 2012. Would have been a bad MMO year without it

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The year did not kill MMOrpgs for me, it was the years of degradation/stagnatiom of gameplay/worlds.

A MMOrpg nowaday is what i never would not have expected when i started to play online.
    No advanced Worlds, no advanced economy/crafting, no advanced classes/skills, no advanced virtual reality with no advanced human/social interaction.

But the degradation/stagnation is not a sole problem of MMOrpgs - there is almost no genre that has achieved a more advanced state of gameplay compared to 5 or 10 or 15 years ago.
    "Agricola" on the "C64" has a more diverse gameplay than most games today - it only lacks the graphic.

Games that stand out in the past few years be: GTA IV, Skyrim, The Witcher - none of them a MMO and none of them an example of the average quality but outstanding examples in a widely degraded business.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Not really ,it just didn't bring any interesting mmo world to explore.I didn't care much about gw2 and their wvw was quite a disappointment, good thing Planetside 2 launched.Playing planetside 2 for pvp and went back to eq2 for pve.Sad how if I want a big world,decent crafting,housing and other things to do beside combat the best choices are older mmos like eq2 .

• GunClericGunCleric Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by FromHell
    TSW saved 2012. Would have been a bad MMO year without it

See i loved tsw,gw2 & swtor and a few others there all unique in there own way but dont you feel that there all leanier in the feel that they lack of adventure and sprit. To me mmos are a job atm. Where the grind and the boring storys are just getting to the point of i wonder why im actully playing.

But dont get me wrong for a casual player they may be fun but for sumone with 20 years in the gaming industry  playing hardcore 40+ hours or more a week to be paid or testing new betas. I just feel that there is no adventure / fun anymore its like mmos are try there hardest to please us in the wrong possible way ? i may be wrong

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Yes. It has.

I feel like MMORPGs are being made to just profit off the initial launch. It's like none of them think about longevity.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Killed? Heck no. Year of the Dragon, I'm still hooked on GW2 making it one of the best MMO years for me personally. As it stands, 2012 may have killed 2013 for me for new MMOs... I fully expect to still be playing GW2 and don't really like splitting interest between multiple MMOs at the same time.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I don't think so. GW2 and TSW are both fun, although I'm not sure how much longevity they have. Certainly it's showed that Buy To Play is the preferred payment model currently for players. TSW is having more success now that they've gone that route. It will be interesting to see how the batch of upcoming 2013 MMO's do.

People seem to be hyping ArcheAge out the wazoo currently. And that's sad because of the tendancy for overly hyped MMO's to disappoint and it ends up hurting them in the long run.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Nope
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Nope. Ps2 is fun. Marvel Heroes is coming soon. Age of Wushu just get into beta.
  • Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    No, I'm enjoying PS2, TSW, and except for the bs dallies grinde, I think MoP is turning out to be the best WoW expansion yet.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

2011 was worse I think.

I got some enjoyment out of TOR in late 2011 early 2012.

Got some good enjoyment out of GW2 and hope to continue to visit and revisit that game over time.

I'm currently back in WoW and enjoying the game immensily.

And I'm looking to try out PS2 this weekend.

Not too bad of a year IMO.

I'm looking forward to FFXIV and maybe TESO/Neverwinter in 2013, maybe some Archeage late 2013?

More excited for Defiance now though that took me by surprise (the gameplay video reveal).

Hopefully we'll start hearing more about Titan and EQNext in 2013 too.

All of that makes for a good year of MMO gaming and I am really hyped for Xbox Next (720) or whatever in 2013 too!

And of course MS Surface Pro dropping - can't wait to pick one of those up to replace my work laptop.