Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want SWTOR to fail?

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I personally feel so many people are lying to themselves and on this poll about voting NO.

I know there are a FEW who dislike the game but still wish it success and give active suggestions to improve it (and not SWG2!!!!!@!@!@).  But so many people just post hate on it, that it's unreal No is winning.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    ok this is gonna sound wierd but i sub to this game atm and i want it to fail..but only because i dont ever want to see a warcraft type game again..it maybe that is why i,m so pissed at the game..the story is excellent for the classes but put that aside and what are you left with..a game that is so poorly optimized.the worst gfx i ever  saw in an mmo.anymore than so many in an area and your pc is gonna explode..the company and their constant lying..but they aint the only company guilty of that.every 10ft there are 3-4 mobs.its just so repetative i only play 3-4 hrs per week.has i say the story is fine but the way the game is done is so poor.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by wildtalent
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I don't want to see anyone lose jobs, but I would love to see a better Star Wars MMO. I would like to see Bioware scrap SWTOR and make an open world MMO with sandbox elements, great crafting, housing and a robust space system.

I would agree with this, except that I wouldn't want "Bioware" to touch Star Wars anymore, since the Bioware we knew no longer exists.

Now that Disney owns  Star Wars, I wouldn't expect much in the way of creativity and open worlds. It will be commercialized as much as it possibly can be from here on out -- even more than it has been till now, if you can imagine that.

Wow, it just occurred to me that Disney does own Star Wars and the only reason we lost SWG was that Lucas Arts didn't renew with Sony.  What a waste.  We could have had both games.  

That's a BS. Don't blame SWTOR for SWG shut down. Blame players who were not loyal to the game and did not support it.

Sony did not want to continue SWG. They were loosing money on it. They knew that all blame will go to LucasArt LOL.

See the coments from Smedley and LucasArt  http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/16/lucasarts-making-swg-free-to-play-just-isnt-financially-viable/

Lucasarts has responded to the closure of Star Wars: Galaxies, stating both it and SOE “investigated every option to keep the game open,” before deciding to shutter it completely.

According to a statement given to GamePro, both firms even discusses making it a free-to-play title, but decided it wouldn’t be a viable business decision.

“Changing the business model for an experience like Star Wars Galaxies takes a major investment and overhauling of the existing infrastructure of the game,” read the statement. “We’re unfortunately at a point in our life cycle where a change of this magnitude is just not possible. The harsh reality is that we’ve reached a point where the game is no longer a sustainable business. None of us wanted to see this point, but we’re extremely proud of the last eight years of the game and the community that has supported it.

“We have a lot planned between now and December and we want to make sure that from now until then, we send off Star Wars Galaxies in a style befitting such a great game. We’ll be right there in the game with everyone else, counting down until the end, making sure we connect with all the friends we’ve made over the past eight years. It may be bittersweet, it may feel like it’s happening before it should, but we have approximately five months remaining where we can all enjoy the game together. We sincerely hope the community will join us.”

A petition has been started to try and save the game, and so far it has 3756 signatures.

GamePro also noted in the post that the SWGEmu project is available. It’s a SWG emulator called Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, which recreates the Pre-CU, or Pre-Combat Upgrade version of the game before SOE changed it around.

SOE were very keen on keeping SWG active. They kept content constantly coming to the game, and totally ignored Vanguard.

The closure of SWG on Dec 15th and SWTOR launch on 15th-20th is too close together to ignore, plus if SOE were in charge of the shutdown, they would have given 2-3 months notice, not 6. It got 6 because the game was still viable and there was too many people playing, but compared to the millions that SWTOR were getting, it was not viable. Now they do not have millions, and now has less than SWG did in 2004.

If they had a crystal ball and saw the failure of SWTOR, then I doubt they would have shut down SWG, and actually made it F2P. SWG as F2P would have done so much better than SWTOR. When they did the free 45 days in May, populations quadrupled, and that was only with SOE players, and having a security breach. It was quite amazing. May / June 2011 of SWG was the best 2 months of the game since pre-CU. I still can't believe that so many returned, and trust touching SOE at all, let alone play SWG. These 2 months were what made the shutdown the most painful, if that did not happen SWG shutting down was inevitable. What now makes it even worse is that SWTOR is a load of crap, and EA/BW are doing NOTHING to game except recycle already made content.

SWTOR is less profitable than SWG was, as it did not cost millions to make, and they even renewed the licence several times

Smedley later admitted that LA called the shots with SWG, in regards why he was able to save EQmac, and not SWG.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/21/the-game-archaeologist-chats-with-john-smedley-about-eqmacs-sal/

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

• cyricsoncyricson Member UncommonPosts: 129

voted yes!

why keep a near to death horse alive? you shoot it.

An advanced sandbox SW mmo is the winner.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    There were 107 people on Taris last night and before f2p you were lucky to see 13 so I doubt it is dying as you claim and if indeed f2p has been a failure by now people would have wised up and left.
    Chamber of Chains
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I don't care if it fails or not. I got my money's worth of enjoyment for the first 3 months after release. I haven't been able to muster the interest to return even after it added the F2P option. Whatever happens to the game from here on is irrelevant to me.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• cyricsoncyricson Member UncommonPosts: 129

Ok then it isnt dying......

Do you mind if i dont like the game at all (yes i played it) and i would very much like to see another ip translation? one that wouldnt be single player? 

Originally posted by cheyane
    There were 107 people on Taris last night and before f2p you were lucky to see 13 so I doubt it is dying as you claim and if indeed f2p has been a failure by now people would have wised up and left.

Yeah that is thanks to F2P, but are they paying? Will they stick around in a few months? What will keep people playing after a few months, when millions did not after launch when there was all this new content coming and it was all new and fresh and full of life, whereas now there is nothing new coming (there is stuff coming but was mentioned back in June for a 2012 release)?

Virtually all the servers were FULL wiith queue times when F2P went in, now they are just standard/heavy with one maybe FULL. The pops are decreasing again.

What you say is also what was said 1 month after launch, but servers dropped from 200-20, and EA have openly admitted that subs dropped throughout the year.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Swanea

I personally feel so many people are lying to themselves and on this poll about voting NO.

I know there are a FEW who dislike the game but still wish it success and give active suggestions to improve it (and not SWG2!!!!!@!@!@).  But so many people just post hate on it, that it's unreal No is winning.

I bet that most of those that want this game to fail are really mad because it isn't SWG2.  They just can't believe hat heir beloved game was shut down.  Another group want it to fail because it wasn't all or mostly free range space content and those need to watch the original movies because space was not the main emphasis of the story.  I guess that doesn't matter because the name is "Star" Wars so it shouldn't matter that most of the content happens on Planets.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I never wanted TOR to fail even if it isnt what I want in a SW game.

But I fear this is too late, the game was supposed to have 3 million players the end of this year (EAs prediction this spring) and now it have pretty few active players and is F2P.

I still hope they wont close it down though, but if this isnt a failure I dont know what is. It had a huge budget and at least some talented people on it but the game never had the good MMO feeling and neither did it give a pen and paper RPG feeling (like BW did before in NWN) so it just wasnt good enough.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

"yes"

I don't want to see people lose their jobs.  I'm not happy that their game didn't live up to their own hype.  That said, I personally do not like the direction the genre is headed.  Story driven, voice-over acting as main selling points of an MMORPG isn't what it's all about for me.

So from a selfish standpoint, yes I want to see games like this be less successful and would like to see some new alternatives do well.

Originally posted by Loke666

I never wanted TOR to fail even if it isnt what I want in a SW game.

But I fear this is too late, the game was supposed to have 3 million players the end of this year (EAs prediction this spring) and now it have pretty few active players and is F2P.

I still hope they wont close it down though, but if this isnt a failure I dont know what is. It had a huge budget and at least some talented people on it but the game never had the good MMO feeling and neither did it give a pen and paper RPG feeling (like BW did before in NWN) so it just wasnt good enough.

I agree

If companies were not so eager to shut down games, I would give SWTOR more of a chance, but after playing and paying SWG for 8 years, and they state both MMOs would co-exist, and then not, and then many exagerations to SWTOR like back in 2008 Bioware said they had enough content for KOTOR 3-9 and beyond. If that was the case, we should be swamped with content, and not recycling content from June 2012 again now for release as an expansion about Jun 2013. Then all the actions and announcements within BW/EA with layoff, the Doctors (founders) them selves vacating not only BW but gaming althogether, the merges and now F2P, all adds up to the game being on its last legs and wrapping things up before its closure, so that EA/BW can move on to better things, that will get them more money.

I do not have a crusade against SWTOR, I just fear shutdowns and do not trust the companys. SWTOR is a game I want to play. If it was successsful like LOTRO, Rift, WOW etc and I did not like it, then I would not be posting on these forums bashing it.  I don't particullary like GW2 and prefer SWTOR more, and I do not bash GW2. I don't want people to end up being gutted if it does close - it is not very nice. I also want BW to get off their backside and make something of SWTOR - it is not a single player game but a MMO, but as you say it seems too late.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Never mind swtor

I want ea to fail
  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

According to  the Forum title:  - Yes

Why?

Because when they fail (hopefully learn about why they fail in SWG and SW:TOR) and maybe they can make a third star wars mmo game what is decent enought most of the people to play with it.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Every game fails in time..ToR will probably be around for a while.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• HermodHermod Member UncommonPosts: 35
    A few bitter SWG player voting here
  • ControlBlueControlBlue Member UncommonPosts: 22

Voted 'yes'.

If the game and its F2P model fails, it will show the industry that F2P is not to be implemented with frustration of the customers in mind but with gaining their support.

For the good of the industry, the players, and F2P, SWTOR must, and is highly likely to,  fail!

• gogysbgogysb Member Posts: 6

yes!

why?

EA/Bioware made a good singleplayer game but a terrible mmorpg.

It had huge potential but ended up being subpar (cept the story gz writers)

They made little progress with patches in the given time and they keep asking for more time and more money. The engine is flawed, the concept is flawed and this F2P isn't a redemption but another way to suck more cash for EA and the new "exp" *cough* dlc *cough* bullshit confirms it.

It should sink with loses to show the publishers and their puppet developers that this doesn't pass with the consumers!

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

First off, I voted no as I don't care to see any game "fail". 

Secondly; there are some sick people out there. Mmo fans are easily the worst I've ever seen.. Everyone is misreble. Everyone hates every game but the one the're playing, they hope games fail and argue all day long. I"ve never seen a group of people sit around and try to "outsmart" other posters more then an mmo fan. 

This site is becoming more and more depressing everyday and I fear for this genre. 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I'm torn on the issue.

From a gamer standpoint,   Yes it would be nice to show the industry we want innovation we want teams that listen to the players (within reason) and we don't want hacks who have failed at other games given multi million pound budgets to blow on pet projects.

From a personal standpoint no I worked for BW for a while during the lead up to launch opting to leave as my family couldnt settle overseas there are many great guys and gals at work on SWTOR who are brilliant at what they do but for whatever reason it hasnt all come together (too many chiefs not enough indians) I would hate to see these people lose their jobs especially at a company and a product many of them do have a real passion for.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I was going to say no, but then I realized EA/Bioware need to be taught a valuable lesson and not just copy/paste WoW into a different popular IP.  Besides, all the shit they're doing with DLC makes them crooks in my opinion.
  • EnzoBautistaEnzoBautista Member Posts: 29

In all honesty, Yes.

Which is unfortunate because I've played the Kotor series over and over like many other gamers.

Its more out of frustration of the golden oppurtunity that Bioware (in respects to their reputation) had with this game that burned pretty quickly. They underachieved in my eyes, for the long term scheme of the game.

If only the single player version of Kotor 3 was released.....But I cannot shift all the blame onto Bioware, there were other forces at work, namely EA.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I voted no because I still have hope that ToR can be shaped up into a really great game. Unfortunately, I doubt that it will. I do wish that the company would rework the cash shop and restrictions. They are absolutely oppressive in comparison to even SOE's.

If they did rework the restrictions and pricing, I would quite happily play this game casually and spend a little bit to unlock things à la carte, since this would be only a secondary MMO I doink around in a little bit here and there.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• EnzoBautistaEnzoBautista Member Posts: 29
    It's as if Darth Baras designed the F2P restrictions sometimes...
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Praetalus

First off, I voted no as I don't care to see any game "fail". 

Secondly; there are some sick people out there. Mmo fans are easily the worst I've ever seen.. Everyone is misreble. Everyone hates every game but the one the're playing, they hope games fail and argue all day long. I"ve never seen a group of people sit around and try to "outsmart" other posters more then an mmo fan. 

This site is becoming more and more depressing everyday and I fear for this genre. 

This site has been this way ever since I started posting here in 2006. A bunch of miserable cry babies who go around from forum to forum bashing games they don't like. When you ask them what game they are playing, 9 times out of 10 they won't give an answer. The WOW forums have had to deal with the most of it because that was the game everyone flocked to and forced lesser MMOs to shut down. The TOR forum has had to deal with the nuts every since pre-release when the announcement came that TOR wasn't going to be a sandbox MMO. Fans of Elder Scrolls Online are getting a taste of the same thing right now. 

Whats hilarious is the idiots who think tthat if this game fails, themparks will cease to be made and another Star Wars MMO is guarenteed. It isn't. 

You never see this in any other form of entertainment. I've never seen anyone say "I hated that movie so I hope it fails so that movies like it are never made again." What kind of upbringing breeds that sort of narcissitst mentality and why does it tend to  flock to MMO's?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

This discussion has been closed.