Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wrote a thing

MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Hope you enjoy it: http://themittani.com/features/eve-real-not-real

Actually, I wrote a couple of other things as well!

http://themittani.com/features/big-lie-fallacies-demonisation

http://themittani.com/features/outsider-one-players-perspective-goons

They touch on subjects that get discussed quite frequently here, so I hope they might be of some minor value.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

EVE is real not real article is very good. 

All the articles are very good. 

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Personal favorite is the Big Lie post, but the other two are quite good as well.

Where's the any key?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I read the first one and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the next two at work tomorrow. Definitely going to pass the links on.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I read the first one and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the next two at work tomorrow. Definitely going to pass the links on.

Unfortunately, ISD got their panties in a bunch when I posted the above on the EVE forum, so I'm glad you're helping provide an end run around their hair-trigger threadlocking.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

surprised anyone reads/believes that crap from Mittens, especially since he's not that bright.

Riverini's EVEnews24 makes more sense lol, and that says a lot.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Get them hosted somewhere else. I find Mittani an asshole IRL and I'm not supporting his lifestyle by visiting his ad-filled website.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Only problem I have with Themittani.com is that the articles aren't coming out fast enough!

I need more stuff to read! :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Muke

surprised anyone reads/believes that crap from Mittens, especially since he's not that bright.

Well, good thing the article was written by Malc then!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    I wrote a new thing: http://themittani.com/features/xnym-or-everybody-needs-somebody

That piece is weak. Its just wrong...

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Get them hosted somewhere else. I find Mittani an asshole IRL and I'm not supporting his lifestyle by visiting his ad-filled website. 

Yeah, sorry Mal.  I refuse to support anything related to he and them.  Start your own blog or something.  As long as you are posting there you won't get my click, much less my vote in March (or whenever that is.)  Yeah, I'm petty like that, sorry.

-k

Sir! Yes sir! I shall direct my creative efforts to your liking from this day forward!

Disclaimer: Actually no I won't. And you're doing youself a considerable disservice, because even apart from my poor scribblings, there's a whole lot of excellent content you're missing out on due to an absurd prejudice.

PS have you heard about these browser plug-ins called Ad-Blockers? They're awesome!

Originally posted by kovah

Yeah, sorry Mal.  I refuse to support anything related to he and them.  Start your own blog or something.  As long as you are posting there you won't get my click, much less my vote in March (or whenever that is.)  Yeah, I'm petty like that, sorry.

-k

That's OK, I'm not competing for the petty demographic, so you're not disappointing me or anything.

Originally posted by Muke

You realise that Alex writes almost none of the articles there, right? The contributors are from all over EVE.

Originally posted by kovah

-k

That's OK, I'm not competing for the petty demographic, so you're not disappointing me or anything.

So you're saying you're not competing for roughly 90% of EVE playerbase? Who's your target group then?

And for me boycotting the website, it's a thing called principle. I absolutely hate everything Mittani and his goons represent. In my eyes they are a cancer to gaming communities and like a real cancer, should be removed before they kill the host.

The other 10%; 36,000 votes will be enough for me!

As for Goons being a "cancer", all I'll say is that when you've been on the internet a little longer, you might learn not to bite so hard on obvious trolls. For now I'll just say that massive sweeping generalisations might be easy and fun, but you run some terrible risks when making them.

As you'd know if you read "The Big Lie"  ;)

Originally posted by hfztt
    I wrote a new thing: http://themittani.com/features/xnym-or-everybody-needs-somebody

What's wrong about it?

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

What's wrong about it?

That's what I'd like to know. I personally found it quite good and accurate; I always try to make a difference even if I'm not one of the "obvious" heros of a corp/alliance.

And Malcanis, ignore what that other guy was saying about boycotting your articles just because you're affiliated with Goonswarm. Mittani might be a bit of a dick at times, but you guys have always organized the absolutely coolest stuff/events in Eve or any other game I've heard of. I've been considering trying to get into Goonswarm for a little while now but I know it can be quite difficult to sift through various scams and actually get in...any advice on how to do that? I want to get into some of the REALLY fun stuff :)

Where's the any key?

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

What's wrong about it?

That's what I'd like to know. I personally found it quite good and accurate; I always try to make a difference even if I'm not one of the "obvious" heros of a corp/alliance.

And Malcanis, ignore what that other guy was saying about boycotting your articles just because you're affiliated with Goonswarm. Mittani might be a bit of a dick at times, but you guys have always organized the absolutely coolest stuff/events in Eve or any other game I've heard of. I've been considering trying to get into Goonswarm for a little while now but I know it can be quite difficult to sift through various scams and actually get in...any advice on how to do that? I want to get into some of the REALLY fun stuff :)

And again, Malcanis is not in Goonswarm nor is he (afaik) blue to Goonswarm. People need to stop making asumptions all the time. For quite a long time, Goons were quite irrelevant for the little corner of the cluster where Malc lived.

As for the subject of getting in... In order to get into the corp Goonfleet proper, you need to be an (active) member of the Something Awful forums, don't try to get in any other way. But there other corporations in Goonswarm that recruit independently. There are also other alliances in the Clusterfuck Coalition, which share all the intelligence and communication tools with Goons (and thus get to do all the (posibly cool) stuff with them), but whose internal culture may differ quite a bit. Plus you won't have that "Goon stamp" in your employment history forever after ;) .

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

To be clear.  I love the Goons and what they bring to the environment of EVE-Online.  I think they are a much needed thing in this game.  That said, I do not agree with most of their actions and therefore do not support them if I can help it.  Much like I won't read a single article that comes from Fox News, regardless of who wrote it.  I'm not helping Fox's wallet by viewing their advertising just like I'm not helping Goons by clicking on his site and seeing their ads.

I'd LOVE to read Mal's articles but if standing on my principles means that I can't well...  So be it.  Maybe one day he'll start a blog and re-post his past write-ups.

o7

The other 10%; 36,000 votes will be enough for me!

As for Goons being a "cancer", all I'll say is that when you've been on the internet a little longer, you might learn not to bite so hard on obvious trolls. For now I'll just say that massive sweeping generalisations might be easy and fun, but you run some terrible risks when making them.

As you'd know if you read "The Big Lie"  ;)

Obviously when talking about a bunch as big as the Goonswarm the only way to have a discussion about them is generalization. Of course there are people from every end of the spectrum, but the fact is too many of them base their game enjoyment in the misery of others. They feed from the tears of those they claim to "take the game too seriously". That claim is of course easy to make as there is no force big enough to turn their own joke to them. Frankly I'm not quite certain many of them would take the "joke" so easily if it was shoved down their throats.

Classic bullies who cry and shit in their pants when faced with an even bigger bully.

Obviously when talking about a bunch as big as the Goonswarm the only way to have a discussion about them is generalization. Of course there are people from every end of the spectrum, but the fact is too many of them base their game enjoyment in the misery of others. They feed from the tears of those they claim to "take the game too seriously". That claim is of course easy to make as there is no force big enough to turn their own joke to them. Frankly I'm not quite certain many of them would take the "joke" so easily if it was shoved down their throats.

Classic bullies who cry and shit in their pants when faced with an even bigger bully.

This is EVE-Online where the point of the game is to enjoy the tears. In other words 'toughen the F up!' - CEO of CCP

I know factually that Goons will take that joke because they had to at the beginning.

Did Goons take your space or something? Are you -A-? o_O

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

This is EVE-Online where the point of the game is to enjoy the tears. In other words 'toughen the F up!' - CEO of CCP

I know factually that Goons will take that joke because they had to at the beginning.

Did Goons take your space or something? Are you -A-? o_O

It's Harden the F up or HTFU, get your terms right ;)

The goons that came originally to banish BoB have become BoB themselves or even worse. I highly doubt BoB took that as a joke then and I highly doubt the Goons would take it now. They pretend they would, but considering how much time they have invested in building their "empire"... yeah I don't think so.

And no, I'm not involved in nullsec myself. Too little time to get anything done there and too much drama for the aforementioned reasons. I don't hate Goonswarm of EVE in particular. I hate their "charter" and the "values" they represent, no matter the game.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

I read this one first.

Decided after I finished reading to read more that you wrote.

It's Harden the F up or HTFU, get your terms right ;)

The goons that came originally to banish BoB have become BoB themselves or even worse. I highly doubt BoB took that as a joke then and I highly doubt the Goons would take it now. They pretend they would, but considering how much time they have invested in building their "empire"... yeah I don't think so.

And no, I'm not involved in nullsec myself. Too little time to get anything done there and too much drama for the aforementioned reasons. I don't hate Goonswarm of EVE in particular. I hate their "charter" and the "values" they represent, no matter the game.

Doh! yeah yeah. :P

Last I checked, Goons didn't have a BBQ where 'pets' were not permitted to enter the house and had to be confined in pre-established tent areas.

It is always easy to hate on Goons but it always puzzled me why being successful in EVE made you hated.

Shouldn't people want to be like Goons and try to be better?

Or are you 'hating' cause you can't put in the effort but are jealous of its success?

If the 'tears' = hate, then you must hate every player in EVE except 'Eve-Uni'.

Gdemami -