Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Alpha Video (Levequest & Party Combat)

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Lastest video is out and finally we get to see some group combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sesZWFsluM

Comments

• EnsiferEnsifer Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Looks really good, thanks for posting!
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    i love how fluid the animations and gameplay looks, Cant wait to play
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by voltt
    i love how fluid the animations and gameplay looks, Cant wait to play

Ditto, animation and environment art are both excellent.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    really nice and its only Alpha build. I would like to see the Skillchains or limit breaks next.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Looks great. Does anyone know if you'll be able to rescale the UI because as it was in that video it took up way too much of the screen.
  • zephyrszephyrs Member UncommonPosts: 27
    It looks pretty. UI looks huge, but I'm sure it's scalable. I still won't be buying on release. I'm hoping this game will be great, but I've been burned too many times by other games to buy anything on release.
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Wow I cannot wait for a release :) Already own the CE of the original game so, excited to finally get something out of all the money i paid for it.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    I wish they'd get some people in these vids who actually know how to play, i'd do it if they asked nice. And for feck's sake SE, fire that editor!
  • KumateKumate Member Posts: 69

Look I am a huge FF fan playing from the Nintendo ear up till now, but on the MMO front this looked BORING.  Pretty graphics doesn't make the game fun.  Yes the animations looked great but they all stood around and just attacked the big Mob with very little purpose. 

The level quest looked boring, go kill set amount of mobs ..and the bow action was slow and repetative.  He just kept shooting the same three arrow button combo.  It was beyond boring.  He didn't even need to move, just stood there and hit button 2. 

Please don't say it was the "player"  because it doesn't matter if you run around with your head cut off to stay active because obviously you can just stand in place and win anyways.

Pretty game = yes

Beautiful Squaresoft animation = yes

New UI = yes

Innovation = no

Boring Combat = yes  It is wow combat without the fluidiness.  I mean there are huge pauses between the next action.  If you are not geared in wow you have to move around and plan your attacks..even in one of the easiest games on the market.

Same old level system = yes...but that would be fine if combat was actually fun.  Tera does this well.

They have not made a game with the Final Fantasy feeling since Final Fantasy XI and X. 

Just very disappointed, I miss my old games.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Kumate

Look I am a huge FF fan playing from the Nintendo ear up till now, but on the MMO front this looked BORING.  Pretty graphics doesn't make the game fun.  Yes the animations looked great but they all stood around and just attacked the big Mob with very little purpose. 

The level quest looked boring, go kill set amount of mobs ..and the bow action was slow and repetative.  He just kept shooting the same three arrow button combo.  It was beyond boring.  He didn't even need to move, just stood there and hit button 2. 

Please don't say it was the "player"  because it doesn't matter if you run around with your head cut off to stay active because obviously you can just stand in place and win anyways.

Pretty game = yes

Beautiful Squaresoft animation = yes

New UI = yes

Innovation = no

Boring Combat = yes  It is wow combat without the fluidiness.  I mean there are huge pauses between the next action.  If you are not geared in wow you have to move around and plan your attacks..even in one of the easiest games on the market.

Same old level system = yes...but that would be fine if combat was actually fun.  Tera does this well.

They have not made a game with the Final Fantasy feeling since Final Fantasy XI and X. 

Just very disappointed, I miss my old games.

Let's be honest. SE was never going to make an MMO with very mobile, movement intensive combat. In that video it did look like a snoozefest, but it was only level 20. There is a positional/conditional combo system, or at least there was in the original. I haven't seen anything mentioned about it for ARR yet, but that would help to make combat less static. 

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    What's the difference between 1.0 levequest and ARR levequest exactly?
  • trepotrepo Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Faelar86
    What's the difference between 1.0 levequest and ARR levequest exactly?

The big difference is that in 1.0 you had to "activate" the leve at the aetheryte. Basically, you were going to some random camp that has an aetheryte, activate the leve and go do it. Then teleport back to aetheryte, accept another one etc. This looks like there will be less running back and forth and also, NPCs give leves.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by ezpz77

Let's be honest. SE was never going to make an MMO with very mobile, movement intensive combat. In that video it did look like a snoozefest, but it was only level 20. There is a positional/conditional combo system, or at least there was in the original. I haven't seen anything mentioned about it for ARR yet, but that would help to make combat less static. 

I seriously hope there will be more to positioning and combos with other player skills.   Right now that combat looks terrrrrrrrrrible.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I'm so excited I can't wait!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Yep it looks good.

• Hamger8Hamger8 Member Posts: 78
    Just letting u know the people that are playing dont know how to play for shit it can be way better then that. They are putting hit animation etc in beta so it will be way better :D.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    really nice and its only Alpha build. I would like to see the Skillchains or limit breaks next.

This ^

I want to see a tanking perspective too.

I like the idea of combat being more tactical and strategic than all of the bunny hopping circle straffing all of the newer MMOs seem to have.

There is a time and place for that - consoles IMO - I'd love to play GW2 on my 360 but on PC it just doesn't feel right.

Though I'd love to see FFXIV on 360 too, come on SE!

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Originally posted by BadSpock

There is a time and place for that - consoles IMO - I'd love to play GW2 on my 360 but on PC it just doesn't feel right.

That's a Microsoft problem more than SE's. Tell them to stop being punks and let people use Silver accounts. Also tell them that they want to play with other people on other consoles, and not just themselves. Maybe they'd buckle for SE if people did that?

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Satimasu

That's a Microsoft problem more than SE's. Tell them to stop being punks and let people use Silver accounts. Also tell them that they want to play with other people on other consoles, and not just themselves. Maybe they'd buckle for SE if people did that?

Well they did it for FFXI so I imagine they'll maybe work with SE for a 360 version or maybe hold off and wait for a 720 version if XIV is successful.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Well they did it for FFXI so I imagine they'll maybe work with SE for a 360 version or maybe hold off and wait for a 720 version if XIV is successful.

They only did it because 360 wasn't that big at the time, and there wasn't an MMO on the system. Now that they aren't in that position anymore, they can be as snooty as they want. They want SE to make it be Gold users only, and on Microsoft servers only. I wouldn't want to play that. Here's hopin' though.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Video looked really good.  I wanna see some one not clicking skills though, and also movement while using skills.  I hated the movement during combat in the first take of FFXIV.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hmm, something that bugs me with the party setup in that video... is it a good idea to have the hp and mp bars side by side like that, or have them on top of one another? I wonder if im a healer if the side by side bars would confuse me.

Plus 8 ppl for a full group this time? i figured 6 was fine from ffxi. And in ffxi it was kinda hard to get 6 ppl together sometimes... now we need 8?

One more thing that bugs me, After you complete a leave quest, having the ability to port directly back to the npc, i kinda feel that breaks immersion, and isn't very realistic. But at least it gives you the option weather or not you wanna port back in that pop up box.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Dzone

Hmm, something that bugs me with the party setup in that video... is it a good idea to have the hp and mp bars side by side like that, or have them on top of one another? I wonder if im a healer if the side by side bars would confuse me.

Well you can customize the ui so i dont think its a big problem.

Plus 8 ppl for a full group this time? i figured 6 was fine from ffxi. And in ffxi it was kinda hard to get 6 ppl together sometimes... now we need 8?

I think 8 people in a single group can be a little too much but maibe this is an alliance or something like that.

One more thing that bugs me, After you complete a leave quest, having the ability to port directly back to the npc, i kinda feel that breaks immersion, and isn't very realistic. But at least it gives you the option weather or not you wanna port back in that pop up box.

Well people these day want quick travel and teleportation so they implant it. I dont like that either but well..

• sintenal84ksintenal84k Member Posts: 17
    Love the enviornment, combat looks steady as a rock in that vid.
  • coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    This is turning out to look quite good.