Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the cinematics ever be topped in another MMO?

When I first played SWTOR in the stress test I was actually more annoyed by the cutscenes than entertained.

I was in the veteran MMO player mentality of hauling ass through everything...I was mashing the spacebar just to get another chunk of exp, another skill, another talent point.

Maybe it's because I've got multiple level 50s but now I've slowed way down when I play through the levels.  I even turned off captions just to get more into the storylines.

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Titan.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I agree, SWTOR cutscenes are very good. I can't help but sit through them.

On the other hand, I can definitely see future games beating it in the visual department.

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Titan.

That, however is yet to be seen, as we hardly know anything about it.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I hope not.. All that insane amount of money for a few minute cinematic could be used towards the actual game. An area that Swtor badly needed work on.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by birdycephon

On the other hand, I can definitely see future games beating it in the visual department.

Titan.

We know that Blizzard is making it. And Blizzard is the King of CGI cutscenes.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.

Titan.

Don't we actually know nothing at all about Titan?

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I hope not.. All that insane amount of money for a few minute cinematic could be used towards the actual game. An area that Swtor badly needed work on.

Yeah, but as technology progresses it get much cheaper to make them.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Yeah, but the problem with voice acting, is you still have to pay a ton of people.

Yeah maybe.. But somehow I doubt this one was cheap.  With all the detail in it, it had to take a massive amount of time and man power.  It was almost as good as the FF14 ARR trailer.  Both were jaw dropping!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    No, not unless they top it by tomorrow. Because of the whole world ending and all.
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107

Titan.

I believe Square enix holds that title. The Pandaria introduction looked like a generic pixar ad #100.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    TSW cutscenes were more entertaining, even with the silent avatar. The voices in SWTOR were sometimes bad in my opinion. More good then bad, to be honest. But the scenes didn't impress me as much as I thought they would.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          I actually hope that MMOs get away from all the cinematics in MMOs...They are fine in single player games, but not in a MMO....THe less money these companies spend on voice acting, cutscenes, and eye candy the better.....
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Vayman
    TSW cutscenes were more entertaining, even with the silent avatar. The voices in SWTOR were sometimes bad in my opinion. More good then bad, to be honest. But the scenes didn't impress me as much as I thought they would.

To be honest I did not like the cutscenes in TSW at all....It was especially frustrating just sitting there like a mute....I do not like just watching when I am playing a MMO.....The less I am playing the less I will enjoy the game......IMO both SWTOR and TSW were horrible MMOs and I hope we don't see anything like either one in the future.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

TSW cutscenes were terribad, imo. The "acting" was just horribly laughable.  I actually felt a part of the cutscenes in SWTOR, and thought the acting was a lot better.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Theocritus

To be honest I did not like the cutscenes in TSW at all....It was especially frustrating just sitting there like a mute....I do not like just watching when I am playing a MMO.....The less I am playing the less I will enjoy the game......IMO both SWTOR and TSW were horrible MMOs and I hope we don't see anything like either one in the future.

I guess it was about setting expectations. I thought SWTOR would be better due to the hype and it being Bioware, and I had low expectations going in with TSW.

But I could do without cut scenes entirely. I agree with you: playing is better then not. SWTOR's cut scenes may have had more things to click on, but it didn't really change the outcome in most cases.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Depends I think.

From a technical point of view, I don't think the cinematics will be topped until we are in the latter half of next-gen consoles.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Maybe if the game has good gameplay first, then has money left over sure. Until then, no. It isnt like cinematics did to good for swtor.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    I don't play a MMO(RPG) for cinematics.
  • cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by TCTC

Titan.

I believe Square enix holds that title. The Pandaria introduction looked like a generic pixar ad #100.

I send SE holding the title for cutscenes.       I liked TSW voice acting better than TOR I guess it comes down to personal preference. 

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Let's hope no other MMO does cutscenes like SWTOR
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i would say no. its just too much for an mmo i think, that would be costly to keep pumping out story content and that's the only way you could pull it off successfully.

plus it makes mmo's too linear unless someone made a good story mode that was extremely diverse with a lot of different choices and outcomes, more than what SWTOR has.

which would be even more costly i think.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I agree, SWTOR cutscenes are very good.

Are you kidding? 99% dialogue scenes with static camera is what you call "very good cutscenes" ? It´s always the same gestures of two characters standing and talking.

this is what I call an example for "very good cutscenes" in an MMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljWR8f1470

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by FromHell

Are you kidding? 99% dialogue scenes with static camera is what you call "very good cutscenes" ? It´s always the same gestures of two characters standing and talking.

I am also a huge TSW fan but that doesn't mean i like it when people pull stuff out their ..(you know where) to make a point.

99%? you say? its only been 2 or 3 months since i stopped playing SWTOR but my memory is quite good. I think you are confusing GW2's static cut scenes with SWTOR.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Zalmon

I am also a huge TSW fan but that doesn't mean i like it when people pull stuff out their ..(you know where) to make a point.

99%? you say? its only been 2 or 3 months since i stopped playing SWTOR but my memory is quite good. I think you are confusing GW2's static cut scenes with SWTOR.

please show me one link to a good SWTOR cutscene on youtube without boring static camera, maybe I missed them while I leveled two classes to 50 before I gave up

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Zalmon

As in life there are some "static" conversations (obviously you do not do much if you are talking business) - mostly side quests, class quest and world quests are having plenty of cutscenes that are very dynamic, including running from or toward dangers, almost dying in exposions, doing some extra crazy stuff... life frying opponents, performing acrobatics with lightsabers (mostly to impress my companion), sneaking to do some definitely nut stuff and the list goes on.... 

Got to see the whole picture not just one side of it...

Examples:

HK-51 quests series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbiWy8BrBIY

Sith warrior: sime fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjA8itUZoFc

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

This discussion has been closed.