Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Pay Once, Play Forever - TSW Going Buy-to-Play

13»

Comments

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

"Funcom is excited to announce that subscription is no longer required to play the company’s modern-day massively multiplayer online game ‘The Secret World’"

I highly highly highly doubt that they are excited to announce this.  If anything I would think they are sad that their p2p model didn't work out and they have to shift to this in an effort to save their game.  Silly marketing.

That aside:  This is cool, I am glad I never hit the uninstall button for it and maybe will fire it up again to see if it indeed has more players.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by grimal

So it's finally here. About damn time. Will definately pick this game up now. I must say though, it's sad to see some of the TSW fanbois all of a sudden accepting this model. Accepting xp boost items among other things, the usual double standard...

We are starting to see the GW2 effect everywhere now.

I think you're going a bit overboard here.  B2P has existed long before GW1 or 2.

Not in the MMO space. But yes, It's actually what we have been using for gaming since the beggining of gaming. That's why I always thought it was the best model to use since GW1 started using it. The point is that if GW2 hadn't come out TSW would have probably gone F2P instead. And we already started to see other games start to normalize their pvp like in GW1-2.

Ahh but GW1 wasn't an MMORPG.

The P2P model was always iffy from even back in 1998.  Te only other options were F2P (with cashshop) or B2P (with cashshop).  They chose the latter which is excellent.  Yet I don't think GW2 influenced their decision as much as you are suggesting.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

So it's finally here. About damn time. Will definately pick this game up now. I must say though, it's sad to see some of the TSW fanbois all of a sudden accepting this model. Accepting xp boost items among other things, the usual double standard...

I think you're going a bit overboard here.  B2P has existed long before GW1 or 2.

Not in the MMO space. But yes, It's actually what we have been using for gaming since the beggining of gaming. That's why I always thought it was the best model to use since GW1 started using it. The point is that if GW2 hadn't come out TSW would have probably gone F2P instead. And we already started to see other games start to normalize their pvp like in GW1-2.

The P2P model was always iffy from even back in 1998.  Te only other options were F2P (with cashshop) or B2P (with cashshop).  They chose the latter which is excellent.  Yet I don't think GW2 influenced their decision as much as you are suggesting.

Really? You don't think they would have just gone F2P like any other mmo that doesn't meet expectations? If they had all this well thought out they would have been B2P from the start. They of course acknoledged that B2P is viable because of GW2. I salute them for that btw, but even indirectly GW2 affected their decision.

Lets get rid of all the damn double standards that we have and zealous notions about this vs that. We need to start thinking more logically and less zealously. Just be happy it happened.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I can only say again how AWESOME this is.  The $30 price tag is defnitely sweet too.  Great job Funcom for being an early adoptor to B2P in the MMO realm and thank you ANet for pushing B2P out on the forefront.  This is how I like to pay for my games.

+1 x 100000!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Yes! more MMO variety for me.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• nicariftnicarift Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Stoked ::D:D
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          I'd rather pay 30 bucks for Anarchy Online tbh......

Really? You don't think they would have just gone F2P like any other mmo that doesn't meet expectations? If they had all this well thought out they would have been B2P from the start. They of course acknoledged that B2P is viable because of GW2. I salute them for that btw, but even indirectly GW2 affected their decision.

Lets get rid of all the damn double standards that we have and zealous notions about this vs that. We need to start thinking more logically and less zealously. Just be happy it happened.

Oh I am happy.   I also agree it indirectly affected their decision.  I just don't want all the GW2 zealots coming here and saying "SEE, GW2 HAS CHANGED EVERYTHING!" like they are all apt to do.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    honestly iwill say that im not a big fan of this. I was one of the Subscribers too. i seriously hope this doesnt effect content release.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    $30 for all that content out now? Done deal, count me in! Even if I never play anymore other content OTHER than what is offered now, I am sure I will get my money's worth. During open beta I had a blast with the quests, was not a fan of the stiff animations though. But for $30 bucks? Great deal. I have no problem going thru quests for that price. Great idea Funcom, great deal. 
  • Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Tonin109

This is awesome news!

Nice move Funcom.

I will definitely be going back to this one.

Now, I can say without any reservation that GW2 is no longer the best game for the money.  TSW has taken that spot.  A much better game and a true MMORPG.

As for the lifers, I still think you are getting an excellent deal with all the free stuff arriving per month for you.

Kudos to all!  This is shaping up to be a very good Christmas indeed!

i'm curious to know what is a fake mmorpg since you claim TSW is a true one

Just look my post history up.

i dont have time checking your history  if you cant explain with few words then nevermind

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I don't know if I have ever agreed and also disagreed more with a post.  lol.

To start with some people were irrationally upset about B2P and F2P models.  I tend not to like F2P because many of them feel more like carney games to me.  B2P is an interesting model because while it had been tried before, GW2 is the first MMO that did it.  And pointed out before - GW is NOT a MMO (doesn't mean it's not a great game.)  There was a lot of skepticism about the B2P model internally in the industry and outside in the community.  Heck, we don't even know how successful GW2 will be from a revenue standpoint in the long run.

For The Secret World this was the right way to go.  I wished they would of done it from the beginning, but what are you going to do?  The Secret World had three main issues that gave them problems.  One was the rediculous hype of GW2 crushed them.  The second was their sub + cash shop at launch (double dipping charge.)  The third was the combat/animation.  

The first topic was an issue because almost EVERY gaming journalist was too busy pimpin' themselves out for GW2 affections that they universally passed on most aspects of TSW.  In fact many only centered on its weakest part, the combat.  I understand highlighting it.  I understand saying that's a deal breaker for you.  What I don't understand is not focusing on the missions that you do.  Some elements within TSW barely got any mentions about how ground breaking they actually were.  I mean one mission took you back in time in different years to highlight different murders that happened there.  Really?  Nothing like that to wet a reader's interest?  The only sites I can think of that gave TSW a fair shake was this site MMORPG and Massively.  Maybe there was one or two others, but most universally panned the game and many only gave it a cursory glance.  This was all because of their enthrallment with GW2 and wanting GW2 fans to go to their site because it validated their biased opinion.  This also drove traffic of TSW fans with flamethrowers to read the article(s) that were blowing up the official forums.  The G4 'journalist' deserves a special honor for being one of the best at this.  All of these people reading the bad articles about TSW gave those websites more money in response from Ads.  This had the side effect of bad metacritic score.  This helped cause a weak launch and people lost their jobs.

The second topic is all on Funcom.  They should of seen this coming and they really have no one to blame but themselves. This is where I agree with the 'I told you so' crowd even though I didn't entirely agree with them at the time.  I support Funcom and TSW for trying to do something different.  I don't think they were entirely successful, but such a unique title needs a stronger incentive for people to buy and try out.  Most had no frame of reference to want to play TSW.  How many are going to commit to a new IP that's set in a modern setting, pseudo skill based, lovecraftian sci-fi MMORPG that wouldn't have already pre-ordered?  On top of that you're launching with a top rate sub AND a cash shop?  Albeit it was only a cosmetic one, but the impression still hung there.  They were either delusional or someone got their analytics seriously wrong.  They should of went with a more welcoming system that would encourage people to buy it and then try it out with no strings attached.  Which is what they're doing now.  Better late than never.

The third not much could be done about.  The combat and animations won't change overnight.  They've worked on it and they're still working on it.  Will it get any better?  Who knows.  They need to double down on what they got right and think they have for the most part since launch.  That's why you see more investigations and storyline stuff.  I'm thinking that trend will continue, while they keep tweaking the combat.

If you're still reading this, thank you.  I guess this is a summation of a lot of things and feelings I have about the game and decided to put it in one post.  There's tons of things that I wish TSW did better.  There's plenty of things I'm still waiting on them to fix. For now the reason why I support what they're doing and dealing with waiting on the other stuff is because the stuff they got right is so damn good.  I would like to see them stick around long enough to see tons more of it.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I never liked f2p before - except for gw1, but I thought they could do that due to it being a cooprpg

But with gw2 and ps2 I've seen some good f2p models this year. Funcom should look at those 2 for how to do it right.

It's such a mistery to me why people thing GW1 and GW2 is Free 2 Play...

It's Buy 2 play and that's exactly what TSW is trying to go for now. I'll give it a go when it goes B2P :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This is awesome news!

Nice move Funcom.

Now, I can say without any reservation that GW2 is no longer the best game for the money.  TSW has taken that spot.  A much better game and a true MMORPG.

As for the lifers, I still think you are getting an excellent deal with all the free stuff arriving per month for you.

i dont have time checking your history  if you cant explain with few words then nevermind

I'm curious about the answer as well... :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

This is awesome news!

Nice move Funcom.

Ok.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Oh I am happy.   I also agree it indirectly affected their decision.  I just don't want all the GW2 zealots coming here and saying "SEE, GW2 HAS CHANGED EVERYTHING!" like they are all apt to do.

Oh? Just you wait! They are going to paint their faces and strip to their undies to leap out onto the streets of Europe and riot like rabid soccer fans (or x-box needy teens) and preach the praises of their almighty god Anet on the internet to feel great about themselves and the state of the world.

Me? Imma just be playin TSW and hope I don't have to fool with any real world clean up...  ;)

• extolroxextolrox Member Posts: 22

I am happy to be a TSW fan with the fact  it is free for me to play. The B2P system is way better than the F2P system and this game is worth at least buying it. IMHO SWTOR and LOTRO should have done this instead of the crapy F2P that they did. with the fact that there are more updates to come and that the game is still virgin the B2P system will make room for more updates with real meaning instead of fail updates that you don't even notice in the other system.

Anyways I hopew this way helps the population growth. I know it won't be a big upstart at first but hey $30 and your able to play for as long as game is alive is seriously better than seeing what happened to COH plus I think this game is a tad better than GW2 which to me was just garbage since it took forever to get anything done since no one would party. In TSW i never had that issue all I have ever had to do was be there and I would get an invite so hope to see this game live on.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well it beats paying a subscription for this game.  Just wasn't worth it.  But then again, not many mmo's are these days.  It's possible we will see a trend from this depending on if Funcom reports these changes do well for the game and it's population.  Could end up taking root like the sweep f2p started with western games a few years ago.  This is a good thing becuase players want options on how they pay and play their games.  Either way I doubt I will be jumping back into this game though. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I played TSW for a couple of months earlier this year while I was waiting for GW2 to release and then cancelled my sub. I enjoyed the time I was playing it but there was no way I was prepared to continue paying a monthly subscription for it when I have a top class, no subscription needed, mmo like GW2 as an alternative.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to get the email from Funcom earlier announcing the changes. I patched up and logged in just to check it was working and found I had loogged out in the London auction. The place was full of players so things look promising. I hope things work out well for Funcom as it's a good game.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Thank God. I am happy to see this not going free to play. Good move, Funcom.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by fascism
    Originally posted by BlueLantern
    freemium / B2P in less than 6 months. lol @ the lifetime reassurance topics.

LOL Those idiots spent money on something they enjoy

Uh, many of them bought it without playing first, and most bought lifetimes after only a very short playtesting.

I'm glad there's not much rage about it, but the life subs were a cash grab that are now worth almost nothing.  Really, no matter how you swing it, they all got taken for at least 100 bucks worth of unused gametime and benefits.

Life subs are always a cash grab. How could they be anything else?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ZannypantsZannypants Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I remember trying out the trial, I think I only made it about 10 minutes. The character run animation is much worse than most high school animation projects. It doesn't help that there is very little customiztion, visually. You're basically stuck with "real world" clothing, and nothing else. The skill system is extremely amazing, too bad it's the only good piece of the game. Hire and fix the awful animations, add in some actual "gear", and I'll be more than happy to buy a few copies.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Zannypants
    I remember trying out the trial, I think I only made it about 10 minutes. The character run animation is much worse than most high school animation projects. It doesn't help that there is very little customiztion, visually. You're basically stuck with "real world" clothing, and nothing else. The skill system is extremely amazing, too bad it's the only good piece of the game. Hire and fix the awful animations, add in some actual "gear", and I'll be more than happy to buy a few copies.

They have actual gear.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54

Interesting.  Might work.  Might not.  Here's hoping it turns out to be the right decision for Funcom and TSW as the game has one of the few actually interesting settings I've seen in MMORPGs.  Would be a shame for a game which tries something other than the same-old-same-old fantasy setting to disappear.

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing a TSW singleplayer RPG get made as well.  If they were to play their cards right they could have a franchise of some worth with that setting.