Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively votes GW2 best MMO of the year

Comments

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    They dserve the award. The sandbox folk are out again i see. They sound like people asking folks to vote for Santa Clause for President. The "sandbox" game is a myth and only exists successfully in one form, Eve. 99.5 percent of all games are "theme park" in that we pay people to make challenges and environments to explore.  Any one can make a game and have people attack one another, there's no real effort in game design there. A true designer, like a good dungeon master, can make fun challenges. 
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by evilastro

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

Is this a troll post?

I mean

Is the purpose of this thread to share the information that GW was selected to be the best MMO of 2012?

Or

Is the purpose of this thread to start a forum battle as the last two sentences indicate?

Not really sure, but I incline to believe the latter.  Just another day at the forum I guess.

Evilastro hmm...

It was meant to portray "i told you so" to the people who often go on gw2 forums and bash the game. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by grimal

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

From Jef, who is a self confessed sandbox fan. Oh, and someone who was upset they still dont have guesting.

Also the guy said this:

"SOE's portfolio is second to none, and it's one of the few big studios that isn't afraid to experiment with non-combat features and virtual world bells and whistles. EverQuest, EverQuest II, Vanguard, DC Universe Online, PlanetSide 2, Clone Wars Adventures, and Free Realms all are high-quality games that speak to a wide cross-section of gamers, and SOE's willingness to scrap initial EverQuest Next plans in favor of a sandbox reboot was the best piece of news I heard all year."

So GW2 was a disappointment, but SoE has a great portfolio, and Free Realms and Clone Adventures are high quality games. What a laugh.

Free Realms probably has more players than GW2 but that's not what this thread is about.

GW2 does indeed deserve GotY and it's a great game in it's own right.  I was supposed to reply to a thread about how I felt about the game after some time so I'll package it up here.  It's the best iteration of what a themepark can be.  It has the same aspects and even has the same canned feeling.  What it also brings however are functions to make it less of a predictable experience and you can get "lost" in the gameplay.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

SWTOR won the year before.

Anyone can win this trophy.

yeah its because they limit it to a year. SWTOR was the only big thing released that year unless my memory fails me.

And there is not much compeition this year either. GW2 is the only high profiled MMO with huge hype was released this year.

I've been likening MMO awards to grammar school attendance records, or grading based on participation, specifically for this reason. Despite the information coming from gaming enthusiast press regarding awards, aside from Time magazine, TOR was still capable of tricking these morons into giving it more attention than it ever deserved. It's difficult for me to see the difference between the praise it was receiving and GW2.

Boosh.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    They honestly didnt have much choice , no matter what a bad game would win ... imo
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Another one in the bag.

Once again we see all the trolls form other games with much less success come and throw dirt on anything possitive about GW2.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well sites paid by advertising carry zero weight and i mean ZERO.

As to enjoying,that's fine,nobody is telling someone they can't enjoy a game,go ahead.That has NOTHING to do with a games quality.,that is each person's choice and everyone is most certainly allowed choice.

Why do people try and "confuse" choice with a games quality?To start arguments from nothing?

if you want to discuss the games quality go ahead,that is sort of the main purpose of a discussion site.However posting information from a biased site means nothing to a discussion.

A good valid source would be Carmichael or Cliffy b or Epic games top producers made comments becuase they KNOW their stuff,they understand everything about game design,Massively does not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

Is this a troll post?

I mean

Is the purpose of this thread to share the information that GW was selected to be the best MMO of 2012?

Or

Is the purpose of this thread to start a forum battle as the last two sentences indicate?

Not really sure, but I incline to believe the latter.  Just another day at the forum I guess.

Evilastro hmm...

It was meant to portray "i told you so" to the people who often go on gw2 forums and bash the game. 

So you also see it as a troll post if I get it correctly.

You are. Doesnt make the game any less deserving however.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Another one in the bag.

Once again we see all the trolls form other games with much less success come and throw dirt on anything possitive about GW2.

Well not everyone believes in making a Mc donalod MMO to beat WOW. That is the only way to be successful these days.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Last year it was swtor.image

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Well sites paid by advertising carry zero weight and i mean ZERO.

As to enjoying,that's fine,nobody is telling someone they can't enjoy a game,go ahead.That has NOTHING to do with a games quality.,that is each person's choice and everyone is most certainly allowed choice.

Why do people try and "confuse" choice with a games quality?To start arguments from nothing?

if you want to discuss the games quality go ahead,that is sort of the main purpose of a discussion site.However posting information from a biased site means nothing to a discussion.

A good valid source would be Carmichael or Cliffy b or Epic games top producers made comments becuase they KNOW their stuff,they understand everything about game design,Massively does not.

Do you know of any gaming editorial that doesn't have advertisement?

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

But..but EA paid everyoen the monies to win awards..am i right? 

*chuckles*

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Here is what they said:

Game of the Year: Star Wars: The Old Republic

OMG this game just launched! How can we possibly rate this the game of the year! We must be paid off! Adhgdjhgdudbjh! The fact is, this was a hard one. RIFT launched as a staff favorite in March, but it's both the freshness of SWTOR's launch and the fact that MMO fans have been going nuts over this game for years that combine to make this our Game of the Year. Plus, ya know, it's kinda fun.

... They were wrong, so incredibly wrong. And rather biased to. They admittadly chose the game based on "years" of hype and NO NO experience at all playing it. Therefore, I will continue to reccomend swtor as greatest dissapointment. That was just bad journalism. 

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    it was an easy pick; TSW fell short and there was no other MMO worth to mention for 2012
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

In other threads / games, high review scores and awards are considered "paid for" and deemed  as reliable as a used car salesman.

But when it comes to GW2...IT'S A U.S. SUPREME COURT DECISION!  All hail GW2...the greatest, deepest, most fun MMO of our time! Hurray!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Kuppa
    Another one in the bag.

Lol did you read the op? Its baiting 101. Of course the trolls are coming out.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Psychow

In other threads / games, high review scores and awards are considered "paid for" and deemed  as reliable as a used car salesman.

But when it comes to GW2...IT'S A U.S. SUPREME COURT DECISION!  All hail GW2...the greatest, deepest, most fun MMO of our time! Hurray!

Glad to see you have found the light ...not much difference between forum warriors and used car salesmen in my book though

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Lizardone
    it was an easy pick; TSW fell short and there was no other MMO worth to mention for 2012

TSW was never anywhere to fall from ...it started flat and stumbled

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Lizardone

TSW was never anywhere to fall from ...it started flat and stumbled

well, the wheel and decks sounded awesome, but....

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

I'm loving the angst these awards are causing.  Remember a week or so ago when you and yours panning the Time award and said that it didn't matter because it wasn't a real gaming site.  Now that a real gaming site has presented the award it all comes down to "nuh uh - neener neener".

It's a damn awesome game whether you like it or not.

I am sure it is an awesome game (for some) but it is a crappy MMORPG. And massively is wrong saying that it is.

Can you please tell us how a proper MMORPG should be in your opinion?

One based on virtual, persistant world. No instances, no quest hubs and level bracketted zones. A world which is like a real world, i.e. not constructed but rather evolved organically.

Yes that is a nice dream game but sadly as you know we are living in 2012 not 2050.

What you are basicly saying is you want a living breathing world without any form of scrips the world is "organic"?

I might give you a advice...don't check these forums for the next 40 years you will only be sad no games have that dream sparkle you are looking for at present time.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

I'm loving the angst these awards are causing.  Remember a week or so ago when you and yours panning the Time award and said that it didn't matter because it wasn't a real gaming site.  Now that a real gaming site has presented the award it all comes down to "nuh uh - neener neener".

It's a damn awesome game whether you like it or not.

I am sure it is an awesome game (for some) but it is a crappy MMORPG. And massively is wrong saying that it is.

Can you please tell us how a proper MMORPG should be in your opinion?

One based on virtual, persistant world. No instances, no quest hubs and level bracketted zones. A world which is like a real world, i.e. not constructed but rather evolved organically.

Yes that is a nice dream game but sadly as you know we are living in 2012 not 2050.

What you are basicly saying is you want a living breathing world without any form of scrips the world is "organic"?

I might give you a advice...don't check these forums for the next 40 years you will only be sad no games have that dream sparkle you are looking for at present time.

That's crazy talk, considering UO provided just about every feature this particular individual was looking for over fifteen years ago. I'm not saying that it's ignorance or stupidity to use the technology argument when you need a leg to stand on, but when developers are willing or capable of understanding that MMORPG's aren't required to use the same basis of foundation for mechanics and graphical standards, it simply doesn't apply.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Rayshe

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

Grimal don't you love reactions to the failure of their ever flawless logic.

I just find it amusing that the same site awarded and considered it in strongly in such polar opposite categories.

But it wasn't the site as a whole that called it a disappointment.  It was one blogger on the site.  The site as a whole called it the MMO of the year.

If MMORPG.com called GW2 its pick for GOTY, but Pokket said that GW2 sucked in one of her articles, would you claim that MMORPG.com said GW2 sucked AND called it GOTY?  If you did, you'd be demonstrably wrong.  Just because Pokket writes an article giving her opinion (Pokket's only an example, not saying she did anything) and publishes it on this site, doesn't mean that article speaks for the site as a whole.

There is a difference between an individuals and a collection of individuals.

OT: Congrats to Anet for being recognized again for making what I consider to be the best video game I've ever played!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

In sites that at the same time rate Torchlight II over Diablo III, yeah, you give them the benefit of doubt.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Not to take anything away from GW2, but you really must admit it was a pretty lousy year for new MMORPGs. It is completely unsuprising that they and other sites would pick the one new MMO that didn't fall flat on its face directly after launch.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

In sites that at the same time rate Torchlight II over Diablo III, yeah, you give them the benefit of doubt.

That just shows how poor of taste they have. TL2 is NOT bette than D3 in any way. But some people are too closed minded to see that. Oh well, their loss. It's always more fun to hate on a game than to actually try to like it and see for yourself if the criticism is valid. (or still valid after subsequent updates)