Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Gamespot's PC game of the year

2»

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    The game is too shallow, it's hardly an mmorpg.  At the same time there's no compelling story to take you through like you would expect in a non-mmo game.  There's pvp.  Wouldn't know if that's any good post level 80.  I remember how thousands loved counterstrike matches, to the exclusion of any other game.  Same with halo, call of duty.  I never really understood, but I think if GW2 has a loyal fanbase, there's probably a similar phenomenon, but it's not due to any mmorpg-esque qualities sadly.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Who said the game sucks?

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who aren't just trying to push other's buttons say it's a good or great game, just not worthy of the praise it gets (in their opinions)...

QFT. It doesn't suck, but I would never say it's worthy of PC game of the year. For me it definitely got tedius after a couple of weeks. I'm just burned out on thempark MMOs, as it seems most folks on these forums are.

Kudos for saying how it is. Too many sandbox players / followers just hang around like a bad smell in the latest themepark MMO forums trashing them, because there are no decent sandboxes around. Even if the game is fundamentally solid like GW2. It might not appeal to everyone, but for what it does do, it does it well.

I can appreciate both types of MMO. People just need to stop expecting sandbox qualities in a themepark and vice versa every time a new one comes out, its stupid.  

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Enjoy "Winter's what ever" I'll be at the zombie apocolypse with reticle combat trying out new weapons and abilities.

I will be doing both, because I dont feel the need to blindly follow a single MMO and hate everything else.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Another well deserved award. Keep them coming.

And as always, I'm amazed at the number of people who "hate" this game yet still come out of the woodworks to post here. I guess it's just another illustration of the old Internet saying "get a life!"... because some definitely need one outside of this forum, if they enjoy so much spending their time bashing a game instead of playing those they enjoy.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Originally posted by Greyhooff For people who like MMOs, richly deserved win for GW2, it's the best MMO out there by far.  
    Some would disagree with the above but obviously it's just your opinion. It's like me and AOW at the moment, i love the game but it's just my opinion.  
    Age of Wushu it's YEAR'S BEST surprise but Unfortunately haves no future in west bound with those companies as $Gpotato$ or $nail , every game they touch its full of issues , awful technical assistance and worst of all, all tend to be P2Win.
    I feel sorry cause the game seems really depth and innovative as no other game is right now.
  • mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

The game was good ( I think gw1 was better in many aspects, add the ability to jump I might still play haha ). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed gw2 a great deal so much so I spent additional $50 to support the game ( bought gems) in the first month.  I stopped my personal story early in game, to me it was too childish to say the least. I enjoyed WvWvW and the dynamic content. I also felt the arena pvp system was lacking (cannot explain why as that is never my biggest draw to these types of games). At 80 I got myself the gear I liked ( I think most of the armor in this game was some of the ugliest I have seen). And that was it for me.

I tried leveling other chars, the leveling weapons for skills ( I thought was a neat idea at first)  just seemed much more of a pain the second time. WvWvW which I enjoyed tons at first became boring. To me one invader looked like another I had no sense of vengance or feeling like I was amassing some hatred (I felt like might as well just programmed a zerg npc group and it would have been the same)

I have no ill will with this game and I think it was worth the purchase. I don't think it deservers the hype it had gotten or continues to get, but I am also currently not in agreement with the masses about TESO ( I hate the direction, but that is for another thread) so my  tastes are eclectic when it comes to mmos.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/best-of-2012-videos/?event=pc_winner20121217

Yeah, the game definitely sucks.

I guess this just proves we had a down gaming year. Hope 2013 is a different story.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

And as always, I'm amazed at the number of people who "hate" this game yet still come out of the woodworks to post here. I guess it's just another illustration of the old Internet saying "get a life!"... because some definitely need one outside of this forum, if they enjoy so much spending their time bashing a game instead of playing those they enjoy.

I think these people don't want to see mmorpgs head in this direction.

It's kinda like the hardcore VS casual discusion.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

hardcire VS casual  is the exact same thing as minority VS majority when in comes to videogames. The sooner that the minority starts to realize it, the better.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

That is all it is. There are more casual gamers (because there are people who don't game that may be drawn in with a game like this) than hardcore gamers and I don't think the hardcore players like that companies are thinking outside of the hardcore sphere. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me, that hardcore gamers thought MMO's were the last bastion for them. Change was bound to happen when money is involved.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The funny thing is that GW2 also won the best RPG of 2012 and in the comments many were saying they would never play a MMO because they need others to do stuff and this or that that is the exact complete opposite what the haters of the game say here.

The truth must be somewhere in the mid.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/best-of-2012-videos/?event=pc_winner20121217

Yeah, the game definitely sucks.

Seems like some need support from other opinions to justify their own opinion. Are these magazine reviews the hub of the world ? At the end only your own review counts and not what some other write. Saying this in general and not just for a specific game.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Can we just make an awards thread? I am tired of gw2 winning all of these, to many cyber trophies to count. 
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by botrytis

That is all it is. There are more casual gamers (because there are people who don't game that may be drawn in with a game like this) than hardcore gamers and I don't think the hardcore players like that companies are thinking outside of the hardcore sphere. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me, that hardcore gamers thought MMO's were the last bastion for them. Change was bound to happen when money is involved.

Well, it makes sense. There was a recent article on Massively about how hardcore players make more money for mmo companies, however, since this game is b2p, the casual players are the main moneymakers and the company will favour toward them. Mmorpg.com is populated by mainly harcore players, this can be good and bad, yet you will see muchnless casual players opinion on things, and rather biased outlooks. If you just look at mmorpg.com for player opinions, you would say gw2 is the worst game ever made. 

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Can we just make an awards thread? I am tired of gw2 winning all of these, to many cyber trophies to count. 

I'm with you on this one winning everything gets almost gets as boring as being on the losing end all the time

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

I'm sure they will post them all over their website if you need to keep track.