Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively votes GW2 best MMO of the year

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I will fully admit that GW2 is a good game for what it is. I'm not going to slander it with useless nonsense claiming to be e expert. However given the time i was aloted in the trial the game really didnt feel all that special to me. The only thing i felt they did that was actually innovative was how they changed questing. Which is why i feel that TSW does deserve the innovative title more than GW2, However GW2 still being a good game on its own does deserve GOTY

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    I still dont understand why if the game is that great it keep losing active players everysingle day, even more faster than D3, and games like swtor are more active now, 1 year later, than an overhype game like gw2 (game of the year).  
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

What really confuses me is why anyone needs a website,magazine or other player to validate their enjoyment or dislike of a game. All that should matter to you is your opinion of the game. If you like it play it, if not move on and find something you do enjoy.

P.S. I do enjoy GW2..... game of the year though, not to me.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    It all means nothing since you can actually review a game as you truly see it without getting sued by the said game.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Torvaldr Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Torvaldr Originally posted by Foomerang Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)
    I darn your friendly supportive non-combative approach.  How are we supposed to forum pvp if you're all nice and friendly!
    Hey the game may not appeal to me but im a gamer and i know a quality product when i see one :)  
    And you're still being nice Foo.  Dammit! *grumbles back off to work*
    Yeah what's up with that?  Amidst all the heat this thread is generating, his posts were like an ice cube down my shirt!

I cannot BELIEVE a combat centric, rng cash shop, grindfest made goty omgwtf!!!! There will be no living with those awful fanboys now!

Better? ;)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Foomerang Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)
    I darn your friendly supportive non-combative approach.  How are we supposed to forum pvp if you're all nice and friendly!
    Hey the game may not appeal to me but im a gamer and i know a quality product when i see one :)  
    Yeah what's up with that?  Amidst all the heat this thread is generating, his posts were like an ice cube down my shirt!

I cannot BELIEVE a combat centric, rng cash shop, grindfest made goty omgwtf!!!! There will be no living with those awful fanboys now!

Better? ;)

Phew.. yes, much.  Thanks, now I can continue to stew angrily about nothing. lol

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by Volkon
    I do agree that GW2 Deserves GOTY it had a larger fanbase going into the game and thus had a larger population when the game started. It had the strength it needed. TSW Deserves Innovative title of the year, we are undoubtable more innovative than GW2 however GW2 did have the larger fanbase.

What exactly did they innovate?  (To be honest, I never played.)

Your class is something completely created by you using a pool of abilites, this makes you open to fight however you feel like fighting. Dungeons are more than just DPS checks, Endgame content requires thought and strategy people who claim you only need 10.4 gear and can burn anything fail to mention that you can only get that 10.4 gear via running these Nightmare dungeons.

Clothing has no aspect of armor or stats meaning that you can wear whatever you want without restriction.

When questing instead of just getting ahandful of quests doing them and going back you are to grab them one at a time, each quest updates on its own and has usually around 5 or 8 updated missions within it.

Quests are handed in, in the field so you dont have to run back your the Quest giver unless you are actually retrieveing something.

Investigation missions require the use of Outside sources to complete which is attainable via the ingame web browser they give you.

The game is focus around Build over gear until you hit the end game areas.

I've heard enough "same old same old" regarding parts of TSW (trinity, static world and quests, etc) that it's never actually crossed my radar, but if I ever do tire of GW2 I may give it a look. No promises... I'm not remotely close to tiring of GW2.

I'll keep an open mind, just don't tell anyone.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Foomerang Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)

Better? ;)

Eir's apparently easier to satisfy than I am... you didn't mention "WoW-clone" however so I can't give this high ratings.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I do agree that GW2 Deserves GOTY it had a larger fanbase going into the game and thus had a larger population when the game started. It had the strength it needed. TSW Deserves Innovative title of the year, we are undoubtable more innovative than GW2 however GW2 did have the larger fanbase.

What exactly did they innovate?  (To be honest, I never played.)

Your class is something completely created by you using a pool of abilites, this makes you open to fight however you feel like fighting. Dungeons are more than just DPS checks, Endgame content requires thought and strategy people who claim you only need 10.4 gear and can burn anything fail to mention that you can only get that 10.4 gear via running these Nightmare dungeons.

Clothing has no aspect of armor or stats meaning that you can wear whatever you want without restriction.

When questing instead of just getting ahandful of quests doing them and going back you are to grab them one at a time, each quest updates on its own and has usually around 5 or 8 updated missions within it.

Quests are handed in, in the field so you dont have to run back your the Quest giver unless you are actually retrieveing something.

Investigation missions require the use of Outside sources to complete which is attainable via the ingame web browser they give you.

The game is focus around Build over gear until you hit the end game areas.

I've heard enough "same old same old" regarding parts of TSW (trinity, static world and quests, etc) that it's never actually crossed my radar, but if I ever do tire of GW2 I may give it a look. No promises... I'm not remotely close to tiring of GW2.

I'll keep an open mind, just don't tell anyone.

Awesome i wish we had more people like you. Oh and i forgot one. Reticle targeting, Allows you to target something without clicking on it. Gives it a more actionny feel  but is more DPS focused.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by evilastro

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

I'm loving the angst these awards are causing.  Remember a week or so ago when you and yours panning the Time award and said that it didn't matter because it wasn't a real gaming site.  Now that a real gaming site has presented the award it all comes down to "nuh uh - neener neener".

It's a damn awesome game whether you like it or not.

I am sure it is an awesome game (for some) but it is a crappy MMORPG. And massively is wrong saying that it is.

Can you please tell us how a proper MMORPG should be in your opinion?

One based on virtual, persistant world. No instances, no quest hubs and level bracketted zones. A world which is like a real world, i.e. not constructed but rather evolved organically.

Does such fantasy MMO exist?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

I'm loving the angst these awards are causing.  Remember a week or so ago when you and yours panning the Time award and said that it didn't matter because it wasn't a real gaming site.  Now that a real gaming site has presented the award it all comes down to "nuh uh - neener neener".

I am sure it is an awesome game (for some) but it is a crappy MMORPG. And massively is wrong saying that it is.

One based on virtual, persistant world. No instances, no quest hubs and level bracketted zones. A world which is like a real world, i.e. not constructed but rather evolved organically.

None exsists because it is too hard to to program for. It would be like the Designers/programmers playing God. In science, for example, look how many computers it is takeing to find intelligent life in the planet and that is a one question problem. A world like that would need computational power that does not exsist currently even in our most advanced super-computers.

They think some of the up and coming Sandboxes are like that but they will have huge limits on what you can and can't do and the life certainly will not be organic - more static than anything.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

The game may be boring as hell after a few weeks, at least it was to me, but you know most of those awards are BS anyway don't you.  The game of the year to me is the game I enjoyed the most that year, and that aint GW2.  IT wasn't bad, but not great either.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

Tell me more about the high quality fantasy sandbox you play.

Yea I have seen this reference to fast food several times, but have yet to hear about the high quality sandbox games. 

Originally posted by SQTO

Yea I have seen this reference to fast food several times, but have yet to hear about the high quality sandbox games. 

They give you a block of lard and a dead cow and tell you to make your own burger.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

They give you a block of lard and a dead cow and tell you to make your own burger.

Then someone posts a recipe and they all copy it. :)

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    GW2 deserves mmo of the year because in its un-nerfed state this was the best game released in years, however at the rate anet is nerfing the fun out of the game combined with the simple and repetitive direction they have chosen to pursue with the added content the game could be empty and dead by december 2013..

Playing GW2..

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    The story of GW2.  This game is amazing, and I love how many things they are trying to do different... A week later.  This game is boring as shit, and nothing changed about the formula it's just presented in a different way.
    Originally posted by dageeza
    GW2 deserves mmo of the year because in its un-nerfed state this was the best game released in years, however at the rate anet is nerfing the fun out of the game combined with the simple and repetitive direction they have chosen to pursue with the added content the game could be empty and dead by december 2013..

How are they nerfing it? You mean the adjustments to the Ranger class? That was done because of bot exploitation and also because, according to A.Net, the data said these skills needed it (I am not saying I agree at all).

Just because you don't like a balance, doesn't mean it is a nerf. A nerf means you can't play a profession at all any more - e.g. the Saboteurs from Rift after the first 2 week adjustment - you could not use that build any more.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by dageeza

How are they nerfing it? You mean the adjustments to the Ranger class? That was done because of bot exploitation and also because, according to A.Net, the data said these skills needed it (I am not saying I agree at all).

Just because you don't like a balance, doesn't mean it is a nerf. A nerf means you can't play a profession at all any more - e.g. the Saboteurs from Rift after the first 2 week adjustment - you could not use that build any more.

I don't think he means class nerfs...probably loot nerfs if I had to guess.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by evilastro Originally posted by Yamota Originally posted by evilastro Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/ Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

Those are the games that would be successful, if only someone would write them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by grimal

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

Swtor are would be there if the name wasnt like what voldemort is to wizards as swtor is to mmo journalists. (Might get the populace mad...)

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by evilastro Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/ Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

Those are the games that would be successful, if only someone would write them.

Obviously not. They cost to much to make, the population is small, and sandboxes are full of hardcore players (not saying sandboxes are bad, just not practical)

Originally posted by KingJiggly

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

Swtor are would be there if the name wasnt like what voldemort is to wizards as swtor is to mmo journalists. (Might get the populace mad...)

SWTOR won LAST year - so it wasn't in the running.

Life.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

and don't forget...

SWTOR won LAST year - so it wasn't in the running.

Twas a joke. 

Edit: and it won game of the year, so it could have been biggest disspointment this year. Of course, who would want to give a game  biggest disspointment when it was goty just last year? That is what I meant by what I said.