Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Today's MMO's any Different than Space Invaders ?

Group of things to kill.  Kill them.   We advance.  Get new group of things to kill.  We kill, we advance to next group of things to kill.  

Now we have pretty backgrounds, maps, worlds, stars and moons, fire, and trees.  

You pass all the tests in first grade, you get to go to second grade, then to third.

I start my job cleaning the floor, then get promoted to fry-station, then cashier, then cook.  Now I have a badge that says 'crew chief'.

Is this the only way to go?  

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

So just because we 'kill' stuff, everything is the same?

By this logic, games such as Half Life, Quake, Amensia, Trine, Super Mario brothers, Final Fantasy, Zelda etc are the same thing because we 'kill' stuff.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    This thread is either going to die quickly or become epicly entertaining. I'm hoping for the latter. MMORPG.com posters, please deliver.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I guess my life in high school was like space invaders, I would kill my social life over and over saying really stupid out of place things. (Then do it again)
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Nope, lack of quest text.

On a serious note. EVE and MMO's like them are not space invaders because you are fighting real opponents with consequences if you lose, beyond losing your quarter.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Aelious

What are talking about?  WoW style quests are exactly like Space Invaders.  Go kill 15 rats rinse/repeat.  There just wasn't an NPC with a ? hovering over their head needed to start the quest.

In fact, Space Invaders was better than WoW because there were no add-ons that told you when to move out of way of the invaders death turds they were dropping on you.  You actually had to watch and think for yourself.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    This thread is either going to die quickly or become epicly entertaining. I'm hoping for the latter. MMORPG.com posters, please deliver.

The general idea of fighting the bad guy hasn't changed. However, in addition to fighting bad guys, you are delivering packages, flipping switches, doing jumping puzzles and in some cases solving conceptual puzzles. The combat itself is more complex as it is happening in a three dimensional virtual space. The context of what players are doing is more complex as well.

There.

** edit **
    I forgot crafting. You can't make or build anything in Space Invaders.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Here's a rule from the book 'Trolling for dummies':

To make something seem boring and not fun you just have to repeatedly generalize the object. Warning: Clever victims will see through you and flame you to no end.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    I guess my life in high school was like space invaders, I would kill my social life over and over saying really stupid out of place things. (Then do it again)

lol would the opportunites to embarrass yourself come at you faster and faster?  What did you shield yourself behind from incoming fire err social attacks?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

In space invaders, the levels come to you.

And bonus spawn are more common.

But there aren't as many different buttons to mash

Or as many different powerups to collect.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by jpnz

By this logic, games such as Half Life, Quake, Amensia, Trine, Super Mario brothers, Final Fantasy, Zelda etc are the same thing because we 'kill' stuff.

He's posulating that some types of gaming are essentially limited to killing things.

Simplified worldview combined with the redefinition game. :shrug:  Not likely to be a productive thread.

Now what (video) game first used the "kill things/collect ever-better loot" itemization model (that Blizzard turned into a bazillion dollars)?  DOOM maybe? King's Quest/Ultima?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by jpnz

He's posulating that some types of gaming are essentially limited to killing things.

Simplified worldview combined with the redefinition game. :shrug:  Not likely to be a productive thread.

Now what (video) game first used the "kill things/collect ever-better loot" itemization model (that Blizzard turned into a bazillion dollars)?  DOOM maybe? King's Quest/Ultima?

Pac-Man?  oh wait no..pac man says drugs make you awesome

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Pac-Man?

Nope, Pac-Man didn't progress loot.  Once you collected the Most Valuable Sprite, you were done.

Short term goal addiction requires you to push the Collector button in people.  (Meh, been playing Borderlands again, my cynical 'bout loot-driven design knob is turned up to "high" this week).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm not drunk yet.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Kill things to advance?  Not in the MMORPG I've been playing:  Uncharted Waters Online.  A year ago, my combat level was 28, and now it's 29.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

No, they're full of complex choices you have to make. 

[IMG]

Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Aelious

What are talking about?  WoW style quests are exactly like Space Invaders.  Go kill 15 rats rinse/repeat.  There just wasn't an NPC with a ? hovering over their head needed to start the quest.

In fact, Space Invaders was better than WoW because there were no add-ons that told you when to move out of way of the invaders death turds they were dropping on you.  You actually had to watch and think for yourself.

I understand the point you are making Latronus but you didn't really address Aelious's point you just argued a separate point of your choosing.

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    So if PvE MMO games are like Space Invaders then the instanced PvP in those games must be like Pong, but with better graphics. Defeat your enemy and then do the same thing again and again. Lol games havn't changed that much huh?
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    While I liked Space Invaders, I always preferred Galaxia.  It was definitely more difficult than most mmorpg's.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I spent many a quarter on games like Tempest and the like.  Simple ideas are often the best.  Today's MMOs are dealing with the reality that social media is killing players needs to interact with anyone in game.  They are shifting focus to single player because that's all people care to play anymore.  If they want to interact socially, there's a host of avenues for that now... wasn't the case when they first started out.  LOL, it's like they keep making iPad clones not realising that their chance at that apple has long since sailed... as it has for the original.

Passe.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by allendale5

Group of things to kill.  Kill them.   We advance.  Get new group of things to kill.  We kill, we advance to next group of things to kill.  

Now we have pretty backgrounds, maps, worlds, stars and moons, fire, and trees.  

You pass all the tests in first grade, you get to go to second grade, then to third.

I start my job cleaning the floor, then get promoted to fry-station, then cashier, then cook.  Now I have a badge that says 'crew chief'.

Is this the only way to go?  

Its a good question and one that shows how difficult it is in the mmo industry to come out with something new.

People these days are asking for so much more that just the usual level as you go game/life. We want something meaningful to do with our time and different ways of progressing.

Progression. although we look for new inovative ways to progress we still wnat to progress to feel that we are improving. or at least i do. whether a game or real life, i like to feel that every day i learn something or do something meaningful.

As long as games can give me that feeling then i will still be playing space invaders in another 10 years.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Short answer: Nope it isn't the same thing at all.  I played space invaders when it first came out way back then. The only thing the two have in common is you kill stuff, advance in level and there's no pause button.

You just made me remember why being able to save your progress in a game is epic.

Edited for clarification.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Yes if your comparing it to say PvE, but if your going to throw in PvP you need something like Pong.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I liked Galaga.