Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch for ninja Xfire installation on TSW install

Recently took advantage of the Amazon deal and noticed during the whole installation wizard process an already checked button ssaying "Install X-fire" in one of the several authorization windows.

Most of us used to installing games or other programs keep an eye out for the ninja Google Chrome's and McAffee's preselected installs in many of the installation screens but this was *almost* caught me. 

You may or may not be interested in having yet another program you may or may not need cluterring or adding more resource consumption.  To me I was not interested in having X-fire in my computer and found it annoying that having the item pre-checked could easily lead one to install it.

So for newcomers to TSW, keep an eye out if you're not interested in getting extra crap you might not be interested in injected in your machine during download.

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I dont get the advantages of xfire. Why would anyone litter up their computer with Xfire?

Hodor!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    I dont get the advantages of xfire. Why would anyone litter up their computer with Xfire?

Because it keeps track on your gaming time. I have used it since a few years back and find it quite interesting to see what games I played and how much. For example I played SW:TOR longer than I did GW 2 and the game I played the most is League of Legends which shows that PvP is what I am primarily looking for.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Yamota

Because it keeps track on your gaming time. I have used it since a few years back and find it quite interesting to see what games I played and how much. For example I played SW:TOR longer than I did GW 2 and the game I played the most is League of Legends which shows that PvP is what I am primarily looking for.

Doh. Good thing you have a handy program helping you figure that one out :D.

Personally i used xfire a couple years back for its cross game chatting. Sure we could have used any chat program for that, but xfire showed me what kind of games people where playing so i had the choice of joining them. Thats kinda what steam does today i guess(though only for steam games).

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

You need a program to know what you are looking for in a game?  Wow.  

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Traugar

I know what games I like.  I dont need a data mining program to figure out what games I like and then sale that data so folks can spam my inbox, and or browswer with adds that I don't want. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by Traugar Originally posted by Yamota Originally posted by gwei1984 I dont get the advantages of xfire. Why would anyone litter up their computer with Xfire?
    I know what games I like.  I dont need a data mining program to figure out what games I like and then sale that data so folks can spam my inbox, and or browswer with adds that I don't want. 

The information that XFire provides a player would be interesting, and the social side of the application would be useful, except for the sales data being sold and the inbox spam, etc.

FWIW, Overwolf provides a lot of chat and voice chat functionality. Not sure about the sales data being sold though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I don't like this especially if XFire is selling the data to others. That is very shady of the TSW publisher to do this.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by CMark

You may or may not be interested in having yet another program you may or may not need cluterring or adding more resource consumption. 

This is the main reason I won't have Xfire on my PC, I know on it's own it doesn't consume much processing power, but when you add it to all the other programs you've got running in the background it could just tip your pc over the edge and affect your gaming time.

I know how much time I spend in games (Too much) I know what games I like because I have them pinned to my taskbar, and I have a specific game chat program that I prefer to any other, I do not require or need Xfire.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    x-fire indeed used to be a good tool for cross-game chatting, and as said before, Steam kinda took that function now. At the moment I am still using x-fire, but really in doubt if I should keep using it. At this moment I have way too many games installed (mostly Steam games BTW) and most games that are non-Steam games do support the Steam functions (including chat). I might as well ditch x-fire right now since I'm not really using it as chat client anymore...