Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively votes GW2 best MMO of the year

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

SWTOR won the year before.

Anyone can win this trophy.

yeah its because they limit it to a year. SWTOR was the only big thing released that year unless my memory fails me.

And there is not much compeition this year either. GW2 is the only high profiled MMO with huge hype was released this year.

AHH - TERA and TSW were both released this year also. And the 2nd chapter to Rift was (which by all accounts seems to really help the game). So, yes, there were other games - NEXT!!!

Yeah TSW high profile..what? and Tera again what? sorry bro...there was hardly any compeition this year just like how SWTOR had no compeition last year. But you must feel really good about yourself for adding NEXT at the end of your reply.

*claps*

"Hardly any" is a little different than "none".  People actually expected a lot more from the MMO's released in 2012 than they did in 2011, and look what happened... it's not GW2's fault that the other MMO's released this year were not as good.  This year had two major expansions released, one for Rift and one for WoW, along with 2 or 3 other MMO's...

GW2 made them forgettable messes (ie: Tera and TSW, not the expansions to quality games mentioned above) in comparison.  SWTOR didn't have to do anything but show up.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by BlueLantern
    Originally posted by BlueLantern

Jeff was the resident Secret World fanboy, until he gave up on it apparently. most of its related posts come from other people there. bitter to the end like the swtor boys, too bad.

Yeah anyone who doesn't praise GW2 to 7th heaven is either bitter or fanboy of some other mmo.

*rolls eyes*

he really was though, just read through his posts.....he pumped it hard back when everyone thoguht it was a sandbox/themepark hybrid.

another in the long list of bitter babies who want to call a game generic when TSW is more standard in every way(except for the ways that it's substandard in like having 1/3 the world and dungeon content of a normal mmo).

I find the hypocricy and double standards in your post really staggering.

It goes both ways you know. Do you even see the irony in your posts for calling Jeff out as a bitter fanboy when you are yourself a fanboy of GW2 and come across very bitter towards TSW?

Do you guys ever read your own posts before hitting enter?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I did like parts of both TSW (the story) and TERA (the graphics and combat mechanics). I did at least try them and did find both positive and negative points (the same for GW2 for me). Unfortunately, with the previous 2 games, the negatives, for me, did outweigh the positives.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Eir_S

yeah its because they limit it to a year. SWTOR was the only big thing released that year unless my memory fails me.

And there is not much compeition this year either. GW2 is the only high profiled MMO with huge hype was released this year.

AHH - TERA and TSW were both released this year also. And the 2nd chapter to Rift was (which by all accounts seems to really help the game). So, yes, there were other games - NEXT!!!

Yeah TSW high profile..what? and Tera again what? sorry bro...there was hardly any compeition this year just like how SWTOR had no compeition last year. But you must feel really good about yourself for adding NEXT at the end of your reply.

*claps*

"Hardly any" is a little different than "none".  People actually expected a lot more from the MMO's released in 2012 than they did in 2011, and look what happened... it's not GW2's fault that the other MMO's released this year were not as good.  This year had two major expansions released, one for Rift and one for WoW, along with 2 or 3 other MMO's...

GW2 made them forgettable messes (ie: Tera and TSW, not the expansions to quality games mentioned above) in comparison.  SWTOR didn't have to do anything but show up.

Actually, Rift's expansion won in it's category.

Best Expansion/Update of the Year: RIFT's Storm Legion (Runner-up: EVE Online's Retribution)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Snip

Click the original link posted by the OP it is 9 catagories down.

The 9th blog post down is:

ArenaNet starts teasing details for the Guild Wars 2 Wintersday patch

So like I said, post the blog.  I love the vague claims made by the haters and how angsty they get.  Either of you could just post the blog, but you haven't.  Curious isn't it.

Funny, even if the post exists that you would equate a site award with the opinion of one blogger.

Your inablility to understand english is staggering. read the ORIGINAL POSTERS link which goes directly to the catagories NOT THE BLOG POSTINGS, and read the Ninth Catagory down. Do i need to make it clearer for you, can you handle this.

You are the one who boggles me.  Did you click the link: http://massively.joystiq.com/category/Guild-Wars-2/  <--- THE LINK.

Those are all BLOG entries and the ninth one down I posted.  It says nothing about disappointment.  Did you consider the list on that page may not be the same list I'm seeing?  It's a category feed.

DO YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO ACTUALLY POST THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE?  My request is very simple, yet I don't see either one of you posting that article.  A link to a long list of articles is silly.  So you can rage against my reading comprehension all you want but until you can actually post a link to the blog post I think the fail is in your court.

ITS ALREADY BEEN POSTED BY POST #1 Here ill give it to you again

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

Incase you dont understand Forums yet. OP means Original Post, AKA Post #1 We are not talking about whatever link you randomly found on the website we are talking about the best of 2012 awards.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)

This.  I think it's good for any MMO to be seen in the limelight, even if you don't care for it.  It gets developers to up the ante and I believe we all benefit from the exposure... except sandbox fans who apparently benefit from nothing in existence.

Sorry if im sounding frustrated its just that i am,  i cannot be any more clear in what i was saying.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

incase you dont see my other post.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
     Which games on this list could afford to pay for advertisements before the Hobbit movie?

a) GW2

b) RIFT

Answer: Not rift.  Only one P2P game could afford that sort of advertising and that was WoW.  Rift just needs 9,850,000 more subscribers.

Rift did have some merges (they had too many servers at the beginning) but seems to be doing well and I wish Trion well. They do make a decent game and I just wish it were more video card optimized (my one complaint).

Rift was actually heavily advertised in movie theaters during its vanilla release.  Not sure which specific titles but I saw it several times on the big screen.

And if Rift was truly doing well Trion wouldnt have laid off 1/3 of Rift's staff (and these werent SL contracters, these were long term people who werent expecting to be fired).  Yes, some of that had to do with the delays and failures of EoN but if Rift was doing that well the layoffs wouldnt have been so severe.

Originally posted by killion81

Actually, Rift's expansion won in it's category.

Best Expansion/Update of the Year: RIFT's Storm Legion (Runner-up: EVE Online's Retribution)

As well it should, Trion is proving themselves a very competent and hard-working company.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)
    I darn your friendly supportive non-combative approach.  How are we supposed to forum pvp if you're all nice and friendly!
    Hey the game may not appeal to me but im a gamer and i know a quality product when i see one :)

*claps*

To point out something interesting GW2 was also awarded the biggest disappointment of 2012 on same page which gave it best game award. I don't know i find this a very screwed up and mixed result.

As far as compeition goes.. GW2 had a huge advert campaign behind it and one manifesto video was enough to put it on the top of hype and anticipation. That is why i used the word 'high profiled'. No other MMO ahd such a  backing or blew things out of proportion with statements like 'we want to beat WOW in sales'. So yeah GW2 had no compeition because the only release was one low key TSW with next to no advertising, an asian MMO Tera and one expansion for Rift. But if you want to call that compeition sure..but for me GW2 hardly had any.

*claps*

To point out something interesting GW2 was also awarded the biggest disappointment of 2012 on same page which gave it best game award. I don't know i find this a very screwed up and mixed result.

As far as compeition goes.. GW2 had a huge advert campaign behind it and one manifesto video was enough to put it on the top of hype and anticipation. That is why i used the word 'high profiled'. No other MMO ahd such a  backing or blew things out of proportion with statements like 'we want to beat WOW in sales'. So yeah GW2 had no compeition because the only release was one low key TSW with next to no advertising, an asian MMO Tera and one expansion for Rift. But if you want to call that compeition sure..but for me GW2 hardly had any.

I don't know why you find the Biggest Disappointment thing so confusing.  It's obviously one crybaby who wanted to get his way.. but no one's going to remember his tiny little stab at a colossus.

*claps*

I don't know why you find the Biggest Disappointment thing so confusing.  It's obviously one crybaby who wanted to get his way.. but no one's going to remember his tiny little stab at a colossus.

The same can be said for anything Anti TSW or Tera, your defence is flawed and pure speculation.

Because i can.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

*claps*

It was runner up anyhow, by an apparent TSW fanboy from what I read earlier.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    GW2 deserves best MMO this year. It's only competition was with TSW which was going to be a niche game from day one, and an expansion for a game nearly a decade old. It's sort of like a collegiate athlete beating a fath Goth kid and a 50 year old dad at a game of basketball. 
    I do agree that GW2 Deserves GOTY it had a larger fanbase going into the game and thus had a larger population when the game started. It had the strength it needed. TSW Deserves Innovative title of the year, we are undoubtable more innovative than GW2 however GW2 did have the larger fanbase.

Because i can.

*claps*

So we should only consider the opinions of those who praise GW2 and think it is best MMO of 2012? and everyone else is cry baby or bitter fanboy of TSW and should be ignored? i am sorry if i don't take your word for it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I do agree that GW2 Deserves GOTY it had a larger fanbase going into the game and thus had a larger population when the game started. It had the strength it needed. TSW Deserves Innovative title of the year, we are undoubtable more innovative than GW2 however GW2 did have the larger fanbase.

What exactly did they innovate?  (To be honest, I never played.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

The same can be said for anything Anti TSW or Tera, your defence is flawed and pure speculation.

Oh well, it's still not going to be remembered when the cards are down.  He's still a crybaby and there was jack shit to suggest it was a disappointment.

"Where's my guesting?"  Yeah sounds like a runner up for biggest disappointment of the year to me.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    GW2 deserves best MMO this year. It's only competition was with TSW which was going to be a niche game from day one, and an expansion for a game nearly a decade old. It's sort of like a collegiate athlete beating a fath Goth kid and a 50 year old dad at a game of basketball. 

You forgot TERA which had ads everywhere before it came out (I even had a leaflet in a DVD movie I purchased before it came out).

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by ezpz77

You forgot TERA which had ads everywhere before it came out (I even had a leaflet in a DVD movie I purchased before it came out).

Tera wasn't ever in the running for MMO of the year. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

GW2 was fun for me for a while, but ANET doesn't know how to fix the major problems (culling anyone?) and they are about as good at communication as EA. In terms of MMOs though, it's still easily better than most. That being said, the competition this year wasn't exactly mindblowingly great either.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Originally posted by Volkon

What exactly did they innovate?  (To be honest, I never played.)

Your class is something completely created by you using a pool of abilites, this makes you open to fight however you feel like fighting. Dungeons are more than just DPS checks, Endgame content requires thought and strategy people who claim you only need 10.4 gear and can burn anything fail to mention that you can only get that 10.4 gear via running these Nightmare dungeons.

Clothing has no aspect of armor or stats meaning that you can wear whatever you want without restriction.

When questing instead of just getting ahandful of quests doing them and going back you are to grab them one at a time, each quest updates on its own and has usually around 5 or 8 updated missions within it.

Quests are handed in, in the field so you dont have to run back your the Quest giver unless you are actually retrieveing something.

Investigation missions require the use of Outside sources to complete which is attainable via the ingame web browser they give you.

The game is focus around Build over gear until you hit the end game areas.

Because i can.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thats nice, doesn't change the fact for me GW2 was just the weakest themepark MMo I played in some time. Sorry I really can't help it, my tinted goggles didn't work to detract me from the iffy combat and the fact the way they did the 'same old same old' in a way that just got old quick. 

Oh and... SWTOR, game of the year after being out a few days. Remember that? Yeah, I don't bother really taking anything like these into much consideration, even if it was a game I really enjoyed greatly.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Foomerang Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)
    I darn your friendly supportive non-combative approach.  How are we supposed to forum pvp if you're all nice and friendly!
    Hey the game may not appeal to me but im a gamer and i know a quality product when i see one :)

And you're still being nice Foo.  Dammit! *grumbles back off to work*

Yeah what's up with that?  Amidst all the heat this thread is generating, his posts were like an ice cube down my shirt!