Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively votes GW2 best MMO of the year

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I dunno, was there other serious competition besides TSW? But I'll agree with the award, hard really to deny even though not my style MMORPG. Bought my son a copy last month and he is really enjoying it.

I think that is the main problem. The "MMOs", and I use that therm loosely, released the last few years have been quite sub-par. Either buggy indy garbage or triple A ThemePark garbage.

Next year looks better, we will have that MMO third person shooter based on a running TV series. ArcheAge will be released in the east (maybe), Darkfall UW and a bunch of other released in the year following that that seem to be neither low quality indy games or ThemeParks. So 2013-14 will probably be much better,

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by grimal

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

Really because I don't see that on the page you link at all.  The first blog on the post you link talks about how awesome the game is.  Her biggest criticism is Lost Shores was released too buggy.  I guess she never played rift after Storm Legion released which has to be the most buggy poorly thought out xpac released yet.

It's one of the categories in their list.  Scroll down.  You should see it.  I am not making this up.

Then why don't you link to the post instead of the whole GW2 page?  I don't see it on the list.

Click the original link posted by the OP it is 9 catagories down.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

Understandable. Gw2 is definately one of the most hyped mmos prior launch, and while huge number of people like the game, there's a big portion of players that didn't like it. That's why I find it logical to be nominated for both GOTY and Dissapointment.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

GW2 paid all those rewards!!!! >.<

GW2 sucks!!! >.>

Yeah..

I don't think anyone can accuse ANet of paying for game awards.  Buying awards requires money.  Buy to play simply doesn't generate the kind of cash you would need to buy off all the awards.  Probably need something like a monthly subscription with millions of players to accomplish something like that.

That being said, the competition was pretty fierce in the MMORPG market this year...... right.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

SWTOR won the year before.

Anyone can win this trophy.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by killion81

GW2 sucks!!! >.>

Yeah..

I don't think anyone can accuse ANet of paying for game awards.  Buying awards requires money.  Buy to play simply doesn't generate the kind of cash you would need to buy off all the awards.  Probably need something like a monthly subscription with millions of players to accomplish something like that.

That being said, the competition was pretty fierce in the MMORPG market this year...... right.

Of course :)

I was being sarcastic, because that is a typical response when some mmo receives a reward.

Originally posted by Thebigthrill

yeah its because they limit it to a year. SWTOR was the only big thing released that year unless my memory fails me.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

SWTOR won the year before.Anyone can win this trophy.

So what MMO released this year should have received the award?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Rayshe

yeah its because they limit it to a year. SWTOR was the only big thing released that year unless my memory fails me.

And there is not much compeition this year either. GW2 is the only high profiled MMO with huge hype was released this year.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

and don't forget...

Really because I don't see that on the page you link at all.  The first blog on the post you link talks about how awesome the game is.  Her biggest criticism is Lost Shores was released too buggy.  I guess she never played rift after Storm Legion released which has to be the most buggy poorly thought out xpac released yet.

It's one of the categories in their list.  Scroll down.  You should see it.  I am not making this up.

Then why don't you link to the post instead of the whole GW2 page?  I don't see it on the list.

The 9th blog post down is:

ArenaNet starts teasing details for the Guild Wars 2 Wintersday patch

So like I said, post the blog.  I love the vague claims made by the haters and how angsty they get.  Either of you could just post the blog, but you haven't.  Curious isn't it.

Funny, even if the post exists that you would equate a site award with the opinion of one blogger.

Here it is:

Only on Massively can we vote a game best game of the year and also give it second place for biggest disappointment of the year. We're a rough audience, man.

Justin: Two years in a row now we've had a game that still had a healthy population and was making money get shut down by forces outside of the devs' or players' control. The news of City of Heroes' closure was brutal to hear, the player rally to save it was inspiring, and the end result was depressing. A good game cut down before its time should always be mourned.

Larry: In an industry that seems to produce a lot of cookie-cutter games, trying to steal users from existing games, City of Heroes has always done its own thing. The designers at Paragon Studios really listened to its playerbase and taught many lessons to many MMO designers. Hopefully, future producers will see some of the extraordinary things CoH did -- like side-kicking, player-generated content, and unlockable classes -- and carry them on to the next generation of games.

Jef: I'm sure I'll be crucified for this, but I don't see what all the fuss was/is about regarding Guild Wars 2. I enjoyed it in beta and for about a week at launch, but it's nothing I haven't played many times before. It also has a number of annoyances that older games have long since solved.

Richie: Where's my guesting, GW2??

You basically have this Jef guy that played for only a week after launch and still thinks it's lke all other MMOs, and Richie who wants the legendary guesting feature.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The wonderfull thing about all these articles,  not one mention of the failure of swtor, and EA. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by evilastro

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

Says you.  Sorry to burst that huge bubble but sandbox gurus such as your self will never get a proper MMO because first none of you know what you want and secondly when a game comes along with great sandbox elements you diss it to no end.

GW2 is GOTY and deservedly so!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Volkon

and don't forget...

So like I said, post the blog.  I love the vague claims made by the haters and how angsty they get.  Either of you could just post the blog, but you haven't.  Curious isn't it.

Funny, even if the post exists that you would equate a site award with the opinion of one blogger.

Here it is:

Only on Massively can we vote a game best game of the year and also give it second place for biggest disappointment of the year. We're a rough audience, man.

Justin: Two years in a row now we've had a game that still had a healthy population and was making money get shut down by forces outside of the devs' or players' control. The news of City of Heroes' closure was brutal to hear, the player rally to save it was inspiring, and the end result was depressing. A good game cut down before its time should always be mourned.

Larry: In an industry that seems to produce a lot of cookie-cutter games, trying to steal users from existing games, City of Heroes has always done its own thing. The designers at Paragon Studios really listened to its playerbase and taught many lessons to many MMO designers. Hopefully, future producers will see some of the extraordinary things CoH did -- like side-kicking, player-generated content, and unlockable classes -- and carry them on to the next generation of games.

Jef: I'm sure I'll be crucified for this, but I don't see what all the fuss was/is about regarding Guild Wars 2. I enjoyed it in beta and for about a week at launch, but it's nothing I haven't played many times before. It also has a number of annoyances that older games have long since solved.

Richie: Where's my guesting, GW2??

You basically have this Jef guy that played for only a week after launch and still thinks it's lke all other MMOs, and Richie who wants the legendary guesting feature.

Jeff was the resident Secret World fanboy, until he gave up on it apparently. most of its related posts come from other people there. bitter to the end like the swtor boys, too bad.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

This OP comes across as a bit trollish tbh. I won't report you as baiting, but you are sailing close.

That aside... speaking as someone who is open to themeparks... I simply do not think GW2 is the best themepark (or any other type) MMORPG out there right now.

It seems  the 'best' has to come from games released in this year? I am not sure that makes sense for these games... I mean, this makes sense for finite life single player titles, but a MMORPG is an ongoing service. It dosen't become irrelevant just because it wasn't realeased this year. I think that these kind of sites have to adjust their perspective here when talking about these games... There are FAR better MMOs out there than GW2 in my opinion.

I mean, to rank GW2 above EvE as a MMORPG seems strange, and I don't even play EvE.

If the reporting sites don't see these games as more then short term temporary throwaway experiences, why should the player base?

So you wont report him for speaking his mind but you and the rest of the haters are allowed all the hate filled animosity you can muster.

RIGHT!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

and don't forget...

From Jef, who is a self confessed sandbox fan. Oh, and someone who was upset they still dont have guesting.

Also the guy said this:

"SOE's portfolio is second to none, and it's one of the few big studios that isn't afraid to experiment with non-combat features and virtual world bells and whistles. EverQuest, EverQuest II, Vanguard, DC Universe Online, PlanetSide 2, Clone Wars Adventures, and Free Realms all are high-quality games that speak to a wide cross-section of gamers, and SOE's willingness to scrap initial EverQuest Next plans in favor of a sandbox reboot was the best piece of news I heard all year."

So GW2 was a disappointment, but SoE has a great portfolio, and Free Realms and Clone Adventures are high quality games. What a laugh.

Ive never played Clone Wars or Free Realms, but he is on the money about the others.  EQ, EQ2, PS2 and DCUO are four very diverse, quality games.  Just look at the housing in SoE games, SWG and EQ2 are consider the top 2 (or 2 out of 3 with UO in the mix) in housing.  They have experimented with player made content in both SWG and EQ2.  They are adding stuff like SoEmote for roleplayers.

The company is obviously not without their flaws, but they are certainly are one of the few studios that tries to think outside the box a bit and they get it that its not all about combat combat combat, worlds and people matter too.

Originally posted by BlueLantern

Jeff was the resident Secret World fanboy, until he gave up on it apparently. most of its related posts come from other people there. bitter to the end like the swtor boys, too bad.

Yeah anyone who doesn't praise GW2 to 7th heaven is either bitter or fanboy of some other mmo.

*rolls eyes*

Snip

Your inablility to understand english is staggering. read the ORIGINAL POSTERS link which goes directly to the catagories NOT THE BLOG POSTINGS, and read the Ninth Catagory down. Do i need to make it clearer for you, can you handle this.

Because i can.

Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by BlueLantern

Yeah anyone who doesn't praise GW2 to 7th heaven is either bitter or fanboy of some other mmo.

*rolls eyes*

he really was though, just read through his posts.....he pumped it hard back when everyone thoguht it was a sandbox/themepark hybrid.

another in the long list of bitter babies who want to call a game generic when TSW is more standard in every way(except for the ways that it's substandard in like having 1/3 the world and dungeon content of a normal mmo).

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

And there is not much compeition this year either. GW2 is the only high profiled MMO with huge hype was released this year.

AHH - TERA and TSW were both released this year also. And the 2nd chapter to Rift was (which by all accounts seems to really help the game). So, yes, there were other games - NEXT!!!

Originally posted by botrytis

AHH - TERA and TSW were both released this year also. And the 2nd chapter to Rift was (which by all accounts seems to really help the game). So, yes, there were other games - NEXT!!!

the add on to a low profile wow clone and two failed games with a vocal yet microscopic fanbase. yip.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

GW2 sucks!!! >.>

Yeah..

Yeah, a game like rift should be able to afford that buyout since it's P2P right.  Which games on this list could afford to pay for advertisements before the Hobbit movie?

a) GW2

b) RIFT

Answer: Not rift.  Only one P2P game could afford that sort of advertising and that was WoW.  Rift just needs 9,850,000 more subscribers.

Rift has the monthly subscription down but I'm not so sure about the millions of players.  

Probably need something like a monthly subscription with millions of players to accomplish something like that.

Yeah TSW high profile..what? and Tera again what? sorry bro...there was hardly any compeition this year just like how SWTOR had no compeition last year. But you must feel really good about yourself for adding NEXT at the end of your reply.

*claps*

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

GW2 sucks!!! >.>

Yeah..

Yeah, a game like rift should be able to afford that buyout since it's P2P right.  Which games on this list could afford to pay for advertisements before the Hobbit movie?

a) GW2

b) RIFT

Answer: Not rift.  Only one P2P game could afford that sort of advertising and that was WoW.  Rift just needs 9,850,000 more subscribers.

Rift did have some merges (they had too many servers at the beginning) but seems to be doing well and I wish Trion well. They do make a decent game and I just wish it were more video card optimized (my one complaint).

AHH - TERA and TSW were both released this year also. And the 2nd chapter to Rift was (which by all accounts seems to really help the game). So, yes, there were other games - NEXT!

ACtually 3 big games in a year is a pretty good list TBH. there was actually a battle for first instead of it being one AAA and a bunch of F2P

Because i can.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Congrats to Anet! Well done, sirs :)