Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More the map is big, more i feel lost ..

ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

More the map is big, more i feel lost ..

You feel so lost, we lose all our landmark

A game should contain a main city where all the players together regardless of their levels, regardless of their progress during the games, should stay, a main city where there would be a market to everyone gathered for that you feel less alone and lost

Then the other places of the map should be used for mission, ressourse or something else

And you , what do you think about that, do you feel the same feeling as me ?

Sorry for my english ..

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I don't agree at all.. I want an open seemless world with multiple memorable cities scattered across a vast landscape!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    I can see how it can get frustrating at times, however, I actually like the feeling of being lost in a game.  That's one of my favorite parts is not knowing exactly where I am and maping out the area for the first time.  This also really makes it fun when I return to the area as a higher level.  It's fun to stirr up all those old memories of being lost here at one point. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I don't agree at all.. I want an open seemless world with multiple memorable cities scattered across a vast landscape!

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    I think you are going to lose tthis one big time OP, enough with these small mmo worlds some new mmo's have.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

In a game where you're following quests or a mission, I think a more dense map is good. This usually means a smaller map. However, a larger map is good for more open ended activities or open ended questing.

In Half Life/Half Life 2, dense maps are very good. In Fallout 3, larger, less dense maps are good. Just depends on what the game is and how it's supposed to be played.

I suppose the best combination would be maps with dense areas for scripted content, and less dense areas for the unscripted content.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    It depends what type of game you like. Compare it to art, some like Picasso some like join the dots. I prefer open worlds where you actually have to explore and learn the map rather then have everything pre-explored.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Is this like saying that facerollingly easy gameplay is good, because some people have no arms, and we shouldn't discriminate against them?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I like being lost really.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Scellow
    More the map is big, more i feel lost ..  You feel so lost, we lose all our landmarkA game should contain a main city where all the players together regardless of their levels, regardless of their progress during the games, should stay, a main city where there would be a market to everyone gathered for that you feel less alone and lost Then the other places of the map should be used for mission, ressourse or something else And you , what do you think about that, do you feel the same feeling as me ?  Sorry for my english ..

Where is the option for large world with lots of smaller towns?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I think big cities are silly. They always feel empty because a real city is CROWDED. Not just a dozen or a hundred or even a thousand people running around but hundreds of thousands.  And they drive things, do things, there is productivity, business, entertainment. A big city in MMO land never even gets close.

So SKIP them, give me a wide open world with small hamlets were every building isn't just a prop but has a function. Spread out NPC's with running for several minutes between bank and crafting stations, it feels like busywork, not a social hub.

Remember that few people go to say a train station to feel cozy. They go to a small pub. SMALL is cozy, big isn't.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I prefer the largest world possible. Where I can get lost and have to take time to find my way back.

But I hear you op.

Of the few people I know who played skyrim, all but 1 commented on how they didn't like the large open world and the openness of the game.

Some people are more entertained when they can immediately be doing pointed and directed activites and some people are engaged by the enormity of it all.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Cities have the potential for so much... but no one ever does anything with them.  What if instead of vendors... you had real players crafting stations?  You buy their wares and not some NPCs?  Why not allow players to rent spaces in the city.  Make it part of their home?  You all demand player housing and yet a ton of it sits before you in every game.  Player run banks instead of NPC run banks.  What if the city were attacked and leveled?  You could rebuild it.  You could expand it... starts off as a little village, then grows into a city.  Instead of giving you a bank, store, et al... you have to build it, as a community.  Sort of like the opening of the gates of AnQuiri in vanilla WoW.  Players had to participate to open the gates... took varying amount of time depending on which server you were on.   Those things have always been something that could be done... but players prefer to stand around in queues and have things handed to them.  Then wonder why most of the world is abandoned.  

If you build it... they will come.  LOL, imagine world PVP returning to Azeroth because one faction keeps destroying the other factions' cities.  You think killing the NPCs was annoying?  How about rebuilding the city... or better yet, reclaiming it.  This fishbowl instancing that you so enjoy is scripted mechanics... nothing is more unpredictable as players.  LOL, let players invade raids... and attack players whilst they attempt to kill the boss... then it's not, 1,2,3, your done.  But people want easy mode.  They claim they want hard mode but cry as soon as they are asked to do anything.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    bigger the better, You will never hear me say a world is to big. You need multiple cities with equal importance, to disperse the population over a server. When you funnel populations end result is instances and lack of content.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I want a fun game. An empty big world is no fun. If the world is filled with interesting stuff .. then may be. It depends on the gameplay flow, and whether i can log in and do something fun for a little while without commiting too much time.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

getting lost is part of the fun factor.

Each Faction should get multiple cities.

And the world should be big. Gives developers more areas to hide things in, and shuffle them around if they have proper phase tech to do so.

exploration would truly be endgame now.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Originally posted by lizardbones

In a game where you're following quests or a mission, I think a more dense map is good. This usually means a smaller map. However, a larger map is good for more open ended activities or open ended questing.

In Half Life/Half Life 2, dense maps are very good. In Fallout 3, larger, less dense maps are good. Just depends on what the game is and how it's supposed to be played.

I suppose the best combination would be maps with dense areas for scripted content, and less dense areas for the unscripted content.

That makes sense.

For large open areas, I think there does need to be some terrain feature guides. A river to follow, a mountain range to set your direction and general location, and whatever else. Then there also needs to be landmarks in the game to further define where you are when you come upon them. Large outcrops of eagle shaped rock, special ruins with pillars, etc., each with a specific feature to make them unique. This can be part of the lore too, just to add a little more depth to the world.

Edit to add: Getting lost should be a part of the game play too, just not lost for hours. The old "travel in a straight line" to see where you end up should be in play. Of course, "straight" should be a bit of a challenge too. Sun location, moss on trees, those sorts of things can be usefull.

Once upon a time....

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

As time goes on the world becomes second nature to you. Like SWG with all its worlds, after awhile its easy to remember where and what is on each planet, etc... Thats the fun in large open worlds--------- exploration.

Also most games are short lived and people dont bother with such things. Why explore or get to know your universe if you change games every 2-3 months? Games dont ahve the longevity they once did thus things like this arent important to the newer aged gamers.

I prefer large worlds to soak up my time, to explore, find things, kill things, and provide longevity.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Where do I find XXX cities? image

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Where do I find XXX cities? image

I bet those tripple X cities have a red light district

Originally posted by MMOExposed

And the world should be big. Gives developers more areas to hide things in, and shuffle them around if they have proper phase tech to do so.

Fun is subjective.

I found killing lots of mobs in actiony interesting combat mechanics 100x more fun than getting lost.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Fun is subjective.

I found killing lots of mobs in actiony interesting combat mechanics 100x more fun than getting lost.

Those two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

I however miss getting lost in an MMO. Now days you go to a quest hub in one part of the map, do quests, get sent to a quest hub in the next part of the map, do quest until the zone is finished. Move on to next zone. There used to be side quest and reasons for poking around the map. 

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Fun is subjective.

I however miss getting lost in an MMO. Now days you go to a quest hub in one part of the map, do quests, get sent to a quest hub in the next part of the map, do quest until the zone is finished. Move on to next zone. There used to be side quest and reasons for poking around the map. 

Actually they may be ... if i am spend 5 min lost and looking for ways to get back to point A .. i am not killing stuff for that 5 min.

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Fun is subjective.

Actually they may be ... if i am spend 5 min lost and looking for ways to get back to point A .. i am not killing stuff for that 5 min.

But you can have an MMO with a big map and actiony combat even if you don't take advantage of it.

If you really want to feel lost, nothing has ever quite matched the feeling I got the first time I played EVE. lol it reminded me of Hitch HIkers guide to the galaxy. 

The Total Perspective Vortex is allegedly the most horrible torture device to which a sentient being can be subjected.

When you are put into the Vortex you are given just one momentary glimpse of the entire unimaginable infinity of creation, and somewhere in it a tiny little mark, a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot, which says, "You are here."

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I love a huge overland world with lots of potential for exploration.

As far as towns / cities, I want both lots of small towns and a few big cities.  TES:Oblivion is in my opinion near perfection with this regard.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.