Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively votes GW2 best MMO of the year

evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by evilastro

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the tin foil hats, another site has claimed that GW2 is the best MMO of the year.

Themepark hate club unite!  Tell everyone how they are wrong to enjoy this game!

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

GW2 paid all those rewards!!!! >.<

GW2 sucks!!! >.>

Yeah..

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Yamota

They can enjoy the game as much as they like but GW 2, and ThemeParks in general, are like McDonalds. Garbage and not a proper food (mmo).

Opinions have been related to certain parts of the human anatomy as well.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

You have to add TenTonHammer also..

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/246959/page/8

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Tell me more about the high quality fantasy sandbox you play.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by grimal

and don't forget...

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: City of Heroes' sunset (Runner-up: Guild Wars 2)

From Jef, who is a self confessed sandbox fan. Oh, and someone who was upset they still dont have guesting.

Also the guy said this:

"SOE's portfolio is second to none, and it's one of the few big studios that isn't afraid to experiment with non-combat features and virtual world bells and whistles. EverQuest, EverQuest II, Vanguard, DC Universe Online, PlanetSide 2, Clone Wars Adventures, and Free Realms all are high-quality games that speak to a wide cross-section of gamers, and SOE's willingness to scrap initial EverQuest Next plans in favor of a sandbox reboot was the best piece of news I heard all year."

So GW2 was a disappointment, but SoE has a great portfolio, and Free Realms and Clone Adventures are high quality games. What a laugh.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm loving the angst these awards are causing.  Remember a week or so ago when you and yours panning the Time award and said that it didn't matter because it wasn't a real gaming site.  Now that a real gaming site has presented the award it all comes down to "nuh uh - neener neener".

It's a damn awesome game whether you like it or not.

I am sure it is an awesome game (for some) but it is a crappy MMORPG. And massively is wrong saying that it is.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This OP comes across as a bit trollish tbh. I won't report you as baiting, but you are sailing close.

That aside... speaking as someone who is open to themeparks... I simply do not think GW2 is the best themepark (or any other type) MMORPG out there right now.

It seems  the 'best' has to come from games released in this year? I am not sure that makes sense for these games... I mean, this makes sense for finite life single player titles, but a MMORPG is an ongoing service. It dosen't become irrelevant just because it wasn't realeased this year. I think that these kind of sites have to adjust their perspective here when talking about these games... There are FAR better MMOs out there than GW2 in my opinion.

I mean, to rank GW2 above EvE as a MMORPG seems strange, and I don't even play EvE.

If the reporting sites don't see these games as more then short term temporary throwaway experiences, why should the player base?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I'm loving the angst these awards are causing.  Remember a week or so ago when you and yours panning the Time award and said that it didn't matter because it wasn't a real gaming site.  Now that a real gaming site has presented the award it all comes down to "nuh uh - neener neener".

I am sure it is an awesome game (for some) but it is a crappy MMORPG. And massively is wrong saying that it is.

Can you please tell us how a proper MMORPG should be in your opinion?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

They have an opinion and so do you but, they have a bigger name and have more impact. I think that is the problem here. People think that there opinions ACTUALLY MATTER when they whine like this. They don't.

The OP does come off as trollish - not good form.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

its crappy becouse?

it dont have raids?

Originally posted by Torgrim

Can you please tell us how a proper MMORPG should be in your opinion?

One based on virtual, persistant world. No instances, no quest hubs and level bracketted zones. A world which is like a real world, i.e. not constructed but rather evolved organically.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

One based on virtual, persistant world. No instances, no quest hubs and level bracketted zones. A world which is like a real world, i.e. not constructed but rather evolved organically.

this thing dont exist

and don't forget...

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

and don't forget...

LOL another one who's angsty and making shit up.  She doesn't call GW2 a disappointment.  She gave NPCs their own awards both good and bad and is pissed about guesting.  Not only that they are a single blogger's opinion, not the site's award.  Are you trolling and flame baiting?

No, I am just pointing out that while the magazine awarded this, it also considered it the runner-up for biggest dissapointment. 

Grimal don't you love reactions to the failure of their ever flawless logic.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Vesavius

This OP comes across as a bit trollish tbh. I won't report you as baiting, but you are sailing close.

That aside... speaking as someone who is open to themeparks... I simply do not think GW2 is the best themepark (or any other type) MMORPG out there right now.

It seems  the 'best' has to come from games released in this year? I am not sure that makes sense for these games... I mean, this makes sense for finite life single player titles, but a MMORPG is an ongoing service. It dosen't become irrelevant just because it wasn't realeased this year. I think that these kind of sites have to adjust their perspective here when talking about these games... There are FAR better MMOs out there than GW2 in my opinion.

I mean, to rank GW2 above EvE as a MMORPG seems strange, and I don't even play EvE.

If the reporting sites don't see these games as more then short term temporary throwaway experiences, why should the player base?

Oh please.  Trolling really? 

I sid a 'bit trollish'... I didn't report or anthing, just observing. Just because others are doing the same doen't mean he isn't.

EVE is one of the worst mmos on the market right now in my opinion.  I can think of several themeparks or sandboxes I think are better than EVE.  The company lets large guilds control their game and, while that may be intentional, I think it makes for a horrible mmo.  Some people may like letting other people decide how you game.  I do not.

Well, it's all just opinion I guess and you are entitled to yours for sure. EvE being better or worse wasn't really the point I was making though... It seems strange that's the piece you focused on.

Originally posted by Rayshe

and don't forget...

I just find it amusing that the same site awarded and considered it in strongly in such polar opposite categories.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Another well deserved award. And there's more to come, I'm sure.

Oh, and no matter if the OP is "trolling" or not... because then at least half if not more of the people who answered here deserve a ban for "retaliation".
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Rayshe

and don't forget...

I just find it amusing that the same site awarded and considered it in strongly in such polar opposite categories.

That I have to agree with. Those that love the game considered it the best of the year, and those that expected or wanted something different were disappointed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

and don't forget...

Really because I don't see that on the page you link at all.  The first blog on the post you link talks about how awesome the game is.  Her biggest criticism is Lost Shores was released too buggy.  I guess she never played rift after Storm Legion released which has to be the most buggy poorly thought out xpac released yet.

It's one of the categories in their list.  Scroll down.  You should see it.  I am not making this up.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I dunno, was there other serious competition besides TSW? But I'll agree with the award, hard really to deny even though not my style MMORPG. Bought my son a copy last month and he is really enjoying it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    You guys put too much into what others say, either you enjoy the game or not.  Wow won multiple awards for years and it didn't make the game better or worse for me, so once again who cares.  I play GW2 when the desire hits me and usually lose interest in a few days latter.  That doesn't mean it isn't a good game, but other games such as STO and SWTor still hold my attention for part of the month also.  As for it getting selected game of the year, well there really wasn't much competition in my opinion, but congrats anyways! 

Oh please.  Trolling really? 

I sid a 'bit trollish'... I didn't report or anthing, just observing. Just because others are doing the same doen't mean he isn't.

EVE is one of the worst mmos on the market right now in my opinion.  I can think of several themeparks or sandboxes I think are better than EVE.  The company lets large guilds control their game and, while that may be intentional, I think it makes for a horrible mmo.  Some people may like letting other people decide how you game.  I do not.

Well, it's all just opinion I guess and you are entitled to yours for sure. EvE being better or worse wasn't really the point I was making though... It seems strange that's the piece you focused on.

You brought up EVE and how strange it was ranked lower.  Why would that be strange?

Because it obviously is just an example and not the larger point being made. You could replace EvE here with any number of older MMORPGs, it wouldn't matter. It was just an example.

Just seems you focused in on that one thing and ignored everything else I was saying.

The last thing I want to do is be dragged down by a squabble of whether specific MMORPG X is better then specific MMORPG Y... The point I was making isn't really about that.

Lets move on past EvE.

The point is that older games, as ongoing services, should be considered for these yearly awards IMO. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    It's almost always the new MMO on the block that wins, even if it doesn't deserve it.  This industry is fixated on the new shinies, even if it proves (more often than not) that they are clueless about what gamers really want and are stumbling around and crapping out games that fail to retain players within the first six months or less.  Eventually they will learn their hard needed lessons if for no other reason than their pocket books.