Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG you've ever played

Comments

• KillgoresKillgores Member Posts: 2

Everquest 1. 

To this day, nothing has matched the fun that I had running that world.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

WoW is hands down the best I've played. There's a reason so many continue to subscribe...it's called "fun".

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Psychow

WoW is hands down the best I've played. There's a reason so many continue to subscribe...it's called "fun".

Fun is relative to the gamer. I admittedly had fun playing it once but it's not what I once remember and neither is the community.

• ioooiooo Member UncommonPosts: 1

1- Asheron's Call : BZ and Martine campaign
    2- Everquest 1 : some kind of magic in it.
    3- Everquest 2 : I loved the exploration
    I could add Anarchy Online before Shadowland

• gipper36gipper36 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

In order:

1. City of Heroes
    2. Vanilla WoW
    3. Mines of Moria LotRO

by far,hands down city of villains,played from start til lasst day,im missing that game and the community

• Magikman7Magikman7 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Dark Age of Camelot!
    Originally posted by cujo603
    city of heroes was my first and best mmo experience. the only mmo where i could constantly team from tutorial to max level on any server.  the best character creator + best teaming + best community.  I've never experienced any other mmo  like it

kudos to coh/cov man did ncsoft screw themselves when they stopped this 1

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

WoW up to Lich King.

Originally posted by Sugoi-chan

My favorite MMO was City of Heroes/Villains.  It was my first MMO, and I chose to look into it since it took place in a reality of one of my favorite hobbies, comic books.  None of the other Super-Hero style games released since then have come close to matching it.

I stayed with the game from the last Beta test thru the recent server shutdown, and I went out on my main character, casting buffs and heals to keep my team and those nearby on their feet and battling evil til the very end.

Details on what I liked about the game:

1) Costuming... No one looked like any other character in the game except thru sheer coincidence, well-known character clones, or deliberate intent to copy a given outfit.

2) Power selections:  No other game offered the sheer number of different power combos and optional powers or enhancements that existed in the game.  You could have similar Archetypes with identical Powerset selections, but fine-tuning the sets would result in entirely different performance abilities.

3) The Players:  What can I say other than some of the best MMO players I've ever gamed with were in this game.  If a new player had a question, they could ask their teammates or broadcast, and they would usually get helpful responses within moments after their request aired.  Many total strangers' characters would offer my lowbie characters Influence to assist in getting the enhances I needed to boost my powers to a useable status.  

And I had done the same to others while playing my higher level characters, passing on Influence to teammates who had excelled in assisting the team, and when they asked how they could pay me back, I'd just say "Pass it on when you have enough and run with a deserving sidekick."

4) In-Game Difficulty selection: Want a good battle, crank it up!  Want to have some fun running missions with a solo healer?  Turn it down (if needed) to get the job done.

5) Teaming up:  None of the other MMOs I've tried offered the simplicity of the LFT options in CoH.  It was usually very simple to quickly put a team together, and the "Holy Trinity" was not needed in most cases.  Besides, in the last few years of the game, the Devs made it possible for any level player to team up with a group any any level and become a useful part of the team thru temporary levels being raised or lowered to fit the team leader / mission's setting.

RIP CoH, You are missed by many...

man,i never thought a person could miss a game more than i miss coh/cov just ironic how a company can doom the gameplay of a magnificent mmo,ncsoft DIE IN HELL!!!!!

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Vanilla WoW and Ultima Online

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

FFXI no contest.

Mechanics in that game were so complex that nearly half a decade in people still didn't know everythign that was going on in their algorithms.  The game bred superstition in nearly everything that people did.  Were lunar cycles influencing drop rates?  Did cardinal directions improve macc?  God that game was amazing.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Best MMO I ever played was City of Heroes / Villains.
  • AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by LordOfPit
    Best MMO I ever played was City of Heroes / Villains.

I've read several posts stating the same thing. What was it about CoH that was so cool? I never played it but I've read the freedom for character creation was one of the best features I have a feeling it must have been deeper than that to get so much love.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Vanguard and SWG:preNGE

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Sp!k3Sp!k3 Member Posts: 60
    World of warcraft hands down!
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    This website is sometimes weird and slow. Double post cause of it.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by ezpz77
    I predict that best=first in most cases. 

Mostly true, I'd think.

But in my case, I tried, hard, to like UO; since I played the Ultima Series for countless hours. But their usage of TCP made the game unplayable for me. My Frame rate had to be 0.001. In 1999, I tried EQ (UDP) which was phenoemanl, fluid, and playable. Plus the first person perspective was vastly superior.

So yes, EQ1, by far. Played it for over 5,000 hours and probably closer to 8,000. Also played Planetside 1 a lot but that's FPS not RPG.

/edit while researching UDP just now I heard someone mention UO was UDP? Anyone know the truth of that? /boggle

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Very close call.... WoW and UO.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• jimmytran80jimmytran80 Member Posts: 10
    My favourite MMO is Ragnarok from playpark but it died already. And now the Ragnarok II will open beta on this 27 Dec. Waiting for that day :)
  • MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Eq 1 and 2. Best lore i met in any game. The true essence of grouping to achief stuff. Loved the raids and the boss mechanics. Loved the classes. Class quest. Legacy quest in eq2 where you could get items from eq1.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Vanguard, followed by SWG and EQ2. 
  • nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

Pfuiiiii !!!! I cannot read your pathetic mmo !

N E O C R O N (it just came back and free)

• GoodEnoughForMeGoodEnoughForMe Member Posts: 2
    Tough call. Torn between Anarchy Online and Uncharted Waters. A lot of honourable mentions, though.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    EQ is what I would consider the best with EQ2 second.  Since WoW the genre has been crap and going down hill.  Too much hand holding and dumbing the genre down to the point that I can watch a football game and interact with the family without ever having anyone in the group, if I'm in a group with some of these supposed MMOs, ever knowing I'm not paying attention.  PAC-Man took more concentration and tactics than most games since WoW.

This discussion has been closed.